Thoughts on a Klipsch speaker package I'm looking at? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
*Originally posted in Klipsch owners' thread -- moved out here for a more general audience*

Hello all,

I'm putting the finishing touches on my basement family room/"theater", and I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with/comments on the following speaker package:

http://www.homespeakersdirect.com/cl...d=184&offset=1

The room was designed from the beginning to use in-walls for LCR and in-ceiling for surrounds. Pre-wired for 7.2, but would like to start with 5.1. The theater room is approximately 19'w x 18'd x 8'h, with seating 14' back from the screen/LCR speakers. Behind the seating area, the room opens to another room approximately 15'w x 16'd x 8'h (future home for a billiards table).
Speaker + Receiver budget is ~$1K. I have a *little* wiggle room there, but not much. Klipsch is pretty much a requirement, given that my wife and I are both big Klipsch fans... a different brand would be a hard sell. I will probably step up to the KSW-12 (and I plan to run one sub at first if possible, and hold off on adding a second one until later).

Soooooo... am I heading for disaster, or does this seem like a reasonable choice? I know most folks here hold the Reference series speakers in higher regard than the Synergies, but the Synergy speakers are still nice, right? Or do you think it's possible to do a 5.1 system with Reference speakers and not blow the budget?

Oh, last but not least -- I'm very open to suggestions for receivers in the <$300 price range (but I can take that to the appropriate forum instead, if you'd like).

Thanks!
-Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I saw your post in the other thread and I am going to be honest with you....what you are looking at could work and may sound nice. Fwiw, I was where you are now (about not wanting to spend over $1,000). What I found out was that all $1,000 packages in a mid-sized room sound about the same. Imo, if you want anything that is decent to use for Home theater you are going to be looking at a minimum of $2500 for speakers and AVR. {edit: possibly $2,000 if you shop smart}

That being said I have no experience with inwall. If you are looking at $300 to $500 for an AVR, I would look in the used market and only plan on using it for component video and your audio needs. There are several Denon 28XX and 38XX that fit in that range on line.

Good Luck and I hope you get a more informed opinion. ;-)
post #3 of 3 Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the response!
Being that this is my first foray into home theater/surround sound, perhaps I should buy the inexpensive speakers now and enjoy them (being blissfully unaware of how much better more expensive stuff could sound). That probably beats waiting around to increase my speaker budget.
Plus, that way when I finally get the upgrade bug, I won't kick myself too hard since I won't be out that much $$...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page