Searching For Snell Owner's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried this some time ago and didn't find too many...

Anyone own Snell's? If so, please list your model #'s and your impressions...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 PM

proud owner of Snell C7's towers , new CR 70 center , SR 30 thx side surrounds , 30 thx rears.. tremble with anticipation every time i fire them up... movies or music ,sound field is spacious .airy , non fatigue and neutral... have owned high end b&w, revel, kef & all are nice speakers but in my opinion pale noticabley against snells.. speaker taste very subjective ,however hearing is believeing.. note that towers sound best driven with 200 watts per channel or more.. also, made in the good ol' USA... happy listening
post #3 of 25 Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolasson View Post

proud owner of Snell C7's towers , new CR 70 center , SR 30 thx side surrounds , 30 thx rears.. tremble with anticipation every time i fire them up... movies or music ,sound field is spacious .airy , non fatigue and neutral... have owned high end b&w, revel, kef & all are nice speakers but in my opinion pale noticabley against snells.. speaker taste very subjective ,however hearing is believeing.. note that towers sound best driven with 200 watts per channel or more.. also, made in the good ol' USA... happy listening

That's awesome Zolasson.... I hear nothing but good things about Snell and particularly their Chief Engineer Joe D'Appolito.....

I'm buying my first 50" plasma in November... 4-6 months after that I plan on buying a Denon or Marantz receiver and another 4-6 months after that I will start assembling a complete Snell system which will consist of:

D7's, LCR7, and eventually I will pick a Snell Sub and Bookshelves for surrounds...

I'm not seeing the CR70 Center you mentioned above on the Snell website... Did you mean the CR7?
post #4 of 25 Old 08-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEDONIC View Post

Tried this some time ago and didn't find too many...

Anyone own Snell's? If so, please list your model #'s and your impressions...

Thanks!

I have had my Snells for almost 10 years and I love them. I wouldn't think of switching to anything else. Here's what I have (no Snell sub):

Mains = Type D
Center = CR.5
Surround = QBx Surrounds
post #5 of 25 Old 08-24-2007, 01:23 PM

anhedonic

yes, CR 70 ...i'am one of probably only a handful of people in the country with this snell product.. 1st production models released july 07. google snell cr 70.. pairs with c7 towers creating phenominal front sound stage.... confident u will be very pleased with your snell set up...
post #6 of 25 Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

found this article:

http://www.cepro.com/article/snell_a...eaker_lines/K1

None of these newer models should replace the D7 correct?

What do you use for a sub zolasson?
post #7 of 25 Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Own the Type A II. One of the best speakers I've ever heard - regardless of price.

Ed
post #8 of 25 Old 08-25-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any of you guys have pics of your Snell set ups?
post #9 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 03:08 PM

anhedonic
twin velodyne SPL 12 powered subs.. low end punch dynamic !! anthem D2 controls everything.. jvc RS1 projector 120" high power dalite screen.. pioneer elite bdp hd-1 blue ray & other stuff...
post #10 of 25 Old 08-26-2007, 06:16 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolasson View Post

anhedonic
twin velodyne SPL 12 powered subs.. low end punch dynamic !! anthem D2 controls everything.. jvc RS1 projector 120" high power dalite screen.. pioneer elite bdp hd-1 blue ray & other stuff...

And what does this have to do with Snell?

Ed
post #11 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

And what does this have to do with Snell?

Ed

I had asked him what he was using for a subwoofer...

Quote:

What do you use for a sub zolasson?

post #12 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had asked him what he was using for a subwoofer...

Sorry. I missed that.

Ed
post #13 of 25 Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM

No apostrophe in the title. You just titled this as a look for a "Snell Owner's _______"
The possessive apostrophe requires an object to be possessed by the Snell Owner (e.g. "Searching For Snell Owner's dog").
- Grammar Nazi
post #14 of 25 Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Ancient post, I know but I have a pair of Snell Type 1's. They are bizarre things but their sound is downright impressive for such an unorthodox design.

They are wedge-shaped (phase coherancy?), but much more so than a Thiel for example. But what makes them different is that they have the tweeter mounted near ground level with a 'convegance baffle' (a wedve-shaped, hinged reflection-panel which is attached to the baffle that sits on the floor). This convergance baffle relects the sound back up toward the listener. Wierd, but it works!

Plus the speakers are rated at 4 ohm and can take some serious power. Mine were purchased from a recording engineer and are more of a collectable than anything else simply because I have an all ATC system.

A link to an old review can be found here.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Snell D-7 for L/R, LCR7 for Center - all black oak & silver. Bi-amped via Parasound HCA-1206.

K-II side surrounds (oak) (Powered by Pioneer Elite VSX92 Receiver)

K-II rear surrounds (black oak) (Powered by Pioneer Elite VSX92 Receiver)

~~~~

One pair of Type C Originals (walnut) (relegated to a closet when I got the D-7's)

~~~~
post #16 of 25 Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

I have QBx 20s for my 2 channel system, powered by a Creek integrated amp. Love them. If I could afford it, I wouldn't mind getting their THX certified system for my home theatre.

post #17 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM

I have a pair of Snell Type J/IV speakers with the listed specs below:

Power Rating in Watts: 15-150
Frequency Response: 48Hz-20kHz
Impedance: 8 ohm
Sensitivity: 90 dB

My question is, should I bi-amp them or not with a Onkyo SX-TR 608?
Why or why not?
To those that have bi-amped their speakers, did you notice a big difference or not?

Thanks again for all of your help!
post #18 of 25 Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM

I have a pair of E IIIs that I have had for about 15 years.

Love them!!
post #19 of 25 Old 09-16-2010, 05:46 AM

I have the XA'60s a XA55cr and SR30's in back. I've had this system for about 10 years and really enjoy it as others. It was a sad day when I heard that Snell is out of business. I see they have some great speakers like the C7's on Audiogon going for a nice price.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 PM

ekb said:

"Own the Type A II. One of the best speakers I've ever heard - regardless of price."

I also have a pair of Snell Type A-II's. Others also say this speaker is one of the all-time great speakers ever made. I bought them in about 1983. They are still awesome. I originally went to a store in Tampa to buy some Klipsch speakers like my buddy had and which sounded really good. But the salesman said, we have Klipsch and I am glad to sell them to you, but why don't you give a listen to these Snells first? I thought he said Snails, because I had never heard of this brand, but what the heck? I wasn't in a rush, and listening to these Snells would likely confirm my Klipsh choice was as sound one. Well, he put on a Linda Rondstadt recording, and my jaw hit the floor. It was like she was standing right behind the speaker or something. My wife had the same reaction to the sound. By comparison the Klipsch speakers sounded muddy or something. It was a while later before I muscled up the money to buy my Snells, but it has been wonderful audio journey since then. Many years later I shipped them, at huge cost (they are huge, a fact women seem to hate) back to the factory in Mass. BY this time, the tweeters had succumbed to old age. Snell Accoustics brought everything back up to specs at a reasonable cost, and then I got violated again by UPS for cost of the return trip to FL. Still, on balance, money wisely spent. They are now good as new. One sad note; I just ran into the information two days ago that the current owner of Snell Accoustics is shutting the company down. I am totally bummed by that. It's like the passing of another Beatle or something. Anyway, I will probably buy some more Snells, a home theater set-up for my oldest son, on ebay while they are still available so he can enjoy some of the great Snell sound. I am so appreciative of what that company accomplished. They really cared about every aspect of their product. IMO Snell is to speakers what Apple is to computers and i-everything. They care about what they do, though they have never been low-priced. For both companies there is quality even in places you can't see without disassembly. And the user experience is super. My scooter is a Vespa. My motorcycle is a BMW. My computer is a Mac Pro. My car is a Mercedes-Benz, but my speakers are...Snell, and I just love them.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruff View Post

Well, he put on a Linda Rondstadt recording, and my jaw hit the floor. It was like she was standing right behind the speaker or something.

Exactly. One of the A-II's biggest strengths was to make a female vocal to sound as if she was in the room with you.

BTW, I think Kevin Voecks designed the A-II after Peter Snell passed away. Kevin eventually went to Revel speakers - I don't know if he's still there or not. But I heard Revels a couple of years ago, and they were the first really good sounding speakers that I heard in a long time.

Ed
post #22 of 25 Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Like another said...I am pretty late to this thread...but as a Snell owner, we have to stick together!!!

I currently own Snell Ci speakers. They are incredible!! I purchased them in 1987. I had to replace the main woofer surrounds a couple of years ago.

I originally bought Snell E series in 1985? Way back then...the store had a full return price for one year if you spent more on your new purchase. So in 1986 I brought back the Snell E's for full purchase price value to apply to a new set of Snell D's. Then in 1987, I brought those back for full purchase value to purchase the set of Snell Ci speakers I own now.

I power them with an Adcom GFA-555II 200 watt amp. Most AVR receivers just don't cut it driving speakers like this. They are old school sealed/infinite baffle design...so quite inefficient at SPL per watt.

I have a buddy that has a set of Snell J's he is not using. I would like to get my hands on those to use as surrounds to replace my DefTech BPX2 surrounds. I like the DefTech speakers and they sonically match the Snell's pretty darn well (tried many brands)...but I know a small set of Snell's will kick @ss over the DefTech's.

Good Luck to everyone with their Snell's
post #23 of 25 Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just lucked into a pair of Snell Type J (or maybe Type J/II), and I was blown away by them. They are incredible!

I'm just learning about the Snell history and science behind them.

The only issue I have with these is the "wife factor" as she hates the size and color mismatch with the more modern pieces in the set ups!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #24 of 25 Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41 View Post

The only issue I have with these is the "wife factor" as she hates the size and color mismatch with the more modern pieces in the set ups!

Try trading in the wife.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Late to the conversation but as gregzo said, we got to stay together. I originally bought the Type J in 1984 and after refoaming woofers years ago, they sound and look brand new! No pulls, holes or fraying of the material cloth and original Snell patches with no scratches to speak of. I also went crazy with Snells and purchased for HT room: Snell D7s in cherry as fronts, CR7 center, SR30s THX Ultra2 black surrounds, PS.10 Mk2 black sub and ICS 300 Basis solid cherry down throw sub with Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver 135 WPC 7.2. Down stairs: J7s in cherry as fronts, CR7 as center, K7s in cherry as surronds, and Revel B120 black sub with NAD T765 HD2 receiver 80 WPC min x 7, about 120 WPC x2. And finally in master bedroom: E.5s in European beech as fronts, CR5 black as center, I switch out on surrounds with K.5 Mk2s in cherry and IC K7s black which I use as fronts also, DT Powerfield 12 sub with Denon AVR 2112ci 90 WPC. I have a number of other speakers and receivers along with Bang & Olufsen Beomaster, which was serviced and plays perfectly, that I purchased with Snell Type Js in 1984. Obviously I have a very understanding wife that appreciates VUDU, Blurays etc. I would love to upgrade some of the receivers/separates for more power. Snells sing with 100 WPC and up but I beleive that my wife has been reasonable enough.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page