In-wall or in-ceiling for rear back surrounds? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help making a decision here. I'm migrating from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 setup and have a question. I'm using Paradigm dipoles for my rear surround which are directly on the sides of the listening area above ear level. For my rear backs I'm trying to decide between using some good 6.5" Atlantic Technology in-ceiling speakers mounted in the ceiling (8ft height) or getting something else to mount above ear level on the rear wall facing forward which is about 8ft begind the seating area. Is there any reason why I should use one over the other?
And what about THX's recommended setup. They say to mount the rear backs side by side in the middle of the wall?? Any pros cons to this?

Thanks!
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO in-wall is generally preferable, but depends greatly on the quality of the speaker. For rear surrounds it probably isn't as big a deal.

THX recommends this for what is basically a 6 channel setup, with 2 identical rear speakers side by side. They aren't trying to localize sounds between them, and only recomend two to avoid a so-called "reversing effect", where in some cases sounds coming from behind you can seem to be coming from in front of you (or so they say). For Dolby PLIIx or any kind of surround mode like Logic7 from what I've read it's best to space them farther apart, to achieve true stereo separation (this may also apply to future Blu-ray or HD DVD discs with true 7.1 sound somewhere down the road). I don't really know of a good reason to place them close togther; from what I've read you'd be better off to place them farther apart, to achieve separation.

Hal
post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 AM

I guess I would space them apart a little, but closer together than your side surrounds. Speakercraft makes some nice AIM in ceiling speakers which you can "aim" toward your listening area.

I know paradigm makes some interesting in ceiling mono/stereo speakers with one woofer and two tweeters aimed away from one another to create a stereo effect. Haven't heard them yet, but I am putting them in my basement soon. I hope they do the trick.

Between in walls and in ceiling- I think in walls would be better if you have the space to do them.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Actually Whacky this is exactly what I have except mine are from Atlantic Technology. Their ICTS-6.3e can be used as mono, stereo, or partial dipole. Very nice speaker! It's what I plan to use now for my rear surrounds.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallerding View Post

Actually Whacky this is exactly what I have except mine are from Atlantic Technology. Their ICTS-6.3e can be used as mono, stereo, or partial dipole. Very nice speaker! It's what I plan to use now for my rear surrounds.

Have you listened to the speakers you are getting? Can you tell it is in stereo?

I'm using them for my basement, not my HT, but thought they would be easier and cheaper than having to use two speakers per area.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHaCkY View Post

Have you listened to the speakers you are getting? Can you tell it is in stereo?

I'm using them for my basement, not my HT, but thought they would be easier and cheaper than having to use two speakers per area.

With any of the single point stereo speakers you can tell they are stereo in that you hear information from both channels but of course you have no separation from right to left. I think the single point stereo speakers are fine for real small areas like bathrooms or closets but I would stick with using a pair in anything other than a very small area.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallerding View Post

With any of the single point stereo speakers you can tell they are stereo in that you hear information from both channels but of course you have no separation from right to left. I think the single point stereo speakers are fine for real small areas like bathrooms or closets but I would stick with using a pair in anything other than a very small area.

I have three of them in an L shaped area of my basement. They will only be used for background music if we are entertaining. Especially now that football season is now upon us!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page