Acculine Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 352 Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know what is up with Audio Advisor. Jon has not posted hear lately either. I would call him. Maybe the economy issues are impacting him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 352 Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Hi folks. I've been running behind lately -- we were up an unexpected 28% in 2008 and we tend to run the lowest overheads we can (which puts me personally in the office on weekends these days. At least the weather here in SW FL is outstanding.)

The Acculine A1 is now sold out. (There's a new Acculine development program underway that I trust will pay dividends for you all some time before mid-year. It'll revive the A1 with upgrades.) The A3 is in ready stock, for now, and tomorrow I can see where yours are, jayd41. Please accept our apologies for the lateness -- your two parcels are on the way but I don't have the tracking numbers until the business week starts.

Sorry for being out of circulation. It's been a great year and 2009 looks like one I can get some pet projects finally off the boards and into your hands.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #273 of 352 Old 02-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Good to hear Jon! So, is the A1R being replaced as well?
post #274 of 352 Old 02-15-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Next-gen models will incorporate a design center tuning that looks like the best of the A1 and A1r, mustvid, so yes, they'll both be replaced.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #275 of 352 Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Excellent Jon, glad to know that you didn't succumb to the economy. What about the Asub?
post #276 of 352 Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

What about the Asub?

They're in stock and shipping daily, mustvid.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #277 of 352 Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Well, the A3s arrived today and they look great!
Obviously the finish isn't why people buy these speakers but I actually think they look pretty good and am excited to hook them up and start listening.
I will post my impressions as I break them in over the next few days.
These will be the mains with an A2 center, Infinity IL surrounds and an SVS Ultra sub all driven by a Denon 1609.

Thanks for putting up with all my emails and always responding promptly Jon! It is very much appreciated!
post #278 of 352 Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM

After listening to them for a little while I am quite impressed with the A3 tower speakers. They haven't even had enough time to fully break in yet and they are sounding terrific.
The two things that jumped out at me so far are how transparent they sound. It is easy to forget I am listening through speakers and don't have the actual performers in my room. They don't seem to color the sound and are very neutral. I like it a lot.
The other thing that made me take notice was how excellent they are at dynamics. This was most evident watching a movie where they would go from hushed whispers to dramatic music in an instant and very seemlessly.

I am very pleased with these speakers and I haven't even begun to play with placement and receiver settings too much.

I highly recommend this line of speakers.
post #279 of 352 Old 02-28-2009, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
im very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of a3's and the A2 for a center as a setup for my gf's living room.
thing holding me back is the 4ohms impedence thing.
she's gonna run a 3.1 system. (sub is self-powered)

she has a HTR-6130.

would a budget receiver like the HTR-6130 be able to drive these for HT and maybe a few hours of loud music on rare occasions.

specs of my receiver:

Min. RMS Output Power Front Channels 100 W + 100 W (0.9% THD)
(8 ohms, 1 kHz) Centre Channel 100 W (0.9% THD)
Surround Channels 100 W + 100 W (0.9% THD)
Dynamic Power (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110/130/160/180 W
Frequency Response 10 Hz–100 kHz +0/-3 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (CD, Front Sp Out) 0.06% (50 W/8 ohms)

i saw him mention any "good quality" receiver with 75w output would be able to handle them.
I was wondering if he could elaborate what makes a receiver good.

edit: well apparently someone has a Onkyo 605 and it's specs are pretty close/equivalent to this one's

so I take it a 8/6ohm receiver set to the 6 ohm setting will be fine.
post #280 of 352 Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by variance View Post

im very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of a3's and the A2 for a center as a setup for my gf's living room.
thing holding me back is the 4ohms impedence thing.
she's gonna run a 3.1 system. (sub is self-powered)

she has a HTR-6130.

would a budget receiver like the HTR-6130 be able to drive these for HT and maybe a few hours of loud music on rare occasions.

specs of my receiver:

Min. RMS Output Power Front Channels 100 W + 100 W (0.9% THD)
(8 ohms, 1 kHz) Centre Channel 100 W (0.9% THD)
Surround Channels 100 W + 100 W (0.9% THD)
Dynamic Power (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110/130/160/180 W
Frequency Response 10 Hz-100 kHz +0/-3 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (CD, Front Sp Out) 0.06% (50 W/8 ohms)

i saw him mention any "good quality" receiver with 75w output would be able to handle them.
I was wondering if he could elaborate what makes a receiver good.

edit: well apparently someone has a Onkyo 605 and it's specs are pretty close/equivalent to this one's

so I take it a 8/6ohm receiver set to the 6 ohm setting will be fine.

variance, we consistently recommend amps with higher than average instantaneous current reserve for all of our speakers. In their respective price ranges, the hk and Onkyo's fit the bill nicely...

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #281 of 352 Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Hi all,

After perusing various forums and reading dozens of reviews on budget speakers, I recently purchased a set of Acculine's for a 5.1 setup. Specifically, I bought 2 A3 towers, an A2 for the center, and 2 additional A2s for the surround channels (by the time I was ready to purchase, the A1 was out of stock). Naturally, I completed the set with an Asub. I am driving all of this with a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K receiver. I set the receiver to the 6 ohm setting, and have not been having any problems thus far driving these speakers.

So far, I can say that I'm impressed. I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good, clear, dynamic sound. And, to be sure, I'm certain that I could do a ton of additional tweaking with the reciever as all I have really done is run the MCACC setup. The tweeter is really good: when listening to music, I've been able to hear certain nuances that I wasn't able to pick up with other speakers. In stereo mode, the A3s provide for a nice, musical experience with enough bass to get the job done. I've done more music listening than movie watching so far, but I have noted that the sub provides very nice bass for movies in my relatively small TV room. In fact, it can shake the room if I turn things up. The A2 has worked very well for my center and surround channels. I am looking foward to putting the system a bit more "through its paces" in the near future.

All told, I spent less than $1000 (including shipping) for what seems to be a pretty decent 5.1 speaker system. I am almost certain that this system sounds better than anything at a comparable price point from a "big box" retailer such as Best Buy. It is, by far, the best speaker system I have owned to date (again, note that I am not an audiophile -- I just like good sound value for the money).

The fit and finish of the speakers was fine and the boxes were well assembled. No, they are not "fancy looking" but they blend in just fine with my setup and I'd rather purchase a speaker where most of the cost was in the components rather than a furniture grade wood. That's my way of saying exotic looks aren't that important to me. My wife did comment, when I first put up the A3 towers, that they looked sleek and sexy (if you saw the old Marantz speakers they were replacing, you'd understand where she was coming from).

My experience with the AudioInsider was pretty good. Jon Lane was always prompt in answering the phone and responding to emails. He is very knowledgable about his products. They did switch shipping companies right as I ordered, which delayed things a bit and prevented me from getting a tracking number (I suspect their system for this had to be re-tooled for the new shipper). All told, I had my speakers 8 days after I placed my order -- in my opinion, that's an acceptable order-to-delivery time. If I ever consider getting additional speakers (for 7.1 someday, perhaps) I will stongly consider purchasing them from the AudioInsider.

On a side note, I looked at their site today and noticed the Acculine's were no longer displayed -- perhaps they have sold out of that line temporarily? I do know that Jon was expecting them to run out sometime in February or March. It'll be interesting to see what the new Acculine series turns out to be.
post #282 of 352 Old 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish someone would come out with a bookshelf incorporating both the neo 8 and neo 3 drivers so as to crossover below 500 hz. A compact on wall 5.1 sat system with a neo 3 would be a killer.
post #283 of 352 Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 AM

for those who have already received their purchases.
how long did the shipping take?
post #284 of 352 Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 AM

I've been running my setup of an A2 centre, 4 A1Rs, and an ASub at 8 ohms with a Yamaha RX-V663. Is this an acceptable setting? I hope I haven't been doing any damage to the A2. I figured it would be best to leave it at 8 ohm since many have said setting it to 6 ohm will throttle the somewhat limited power the receiver already has and all my other speakers are 8 ohm.
post #285 of 352 Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoG5 View Post

I've been running my setup of an A2 centre, 4 A1Rs, and an ASub at 8 ohms with a Yamaha RX-V663. Is this an acceptable setting? I hope I haven't been doing any damage to the A2. I figured it would be best to leave it at 8 ohm since many have said setting it to 6 ohm will throttle the somewhat limited power the receiver already has and all my other speakers are 8 ohm.

I would think that you would be okay doing that -- the A1s are 8 ohm, and the Asub has its own amplifier. The only thing you are doing at an 8 ohm setting is not providing as much current to the A2 from the Yamaha. If it sounds fine to you, I don't think you need to worry about it. The RX-V663 is not the bottom-of-the-barrel receiver from Yamaha, and Jon Lane has repeatedly said that better midrange receivers (such as yours) should have enough reserve power to run the Acculine's just fine.

I am powering my Acculine system (see above post) with a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K which doesn't have a whole lot more power than yours and it's been doing fine.
post #286 of 352 Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:

for those who have already received their purchases.
how long did the shipping take?

As I mentioned in my post, for me the order-to-doorstep time was 8 days with a Saturday delivery from FedEx Home. I was under the impression they were running a little behind with their changing of shipping companies, and so other people might even have less of a wait.

However, if you're wanting Acculine's, I think you're out of luck for the time being. Currently at TAI they list Acculine as a brand, but show no product offerings when you click the link. I suspect they have temporarily sold out of the product line. It sounds like they'll be getting more in later this year . . .
post #287 of 352 Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundoff66 View Post

As I mentioned in my post, for me the order-to-doorstep time was 8 days with a Saturday delivery from FedEx Home. I was under the impression they were running a little behind with their changing of shipping companies, and so other people might even have less of a wait.

However, if you're wanting Acculine's, I think you're out of luck for the time being. Currently at TAI they list Acculine as a brand, but show no product offerings when you click the link. I suspect they have temporarily sold out of the product line. It sounds like they'll be getting more in later this year . . .

I placed order over a week ago and have yet to receive valid tracking numbers. so I guess Im just nervous and looking for assurance is all.
post #288 of 352 Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Don't know if it will make you feel any better, but when I ordered some Swans speakers from Jon at the Audio Insider, I actually received my speakers before I received a tracking number. I am in So. Cal, so my ship time was only 2 days, if I recall.

I remember being just as unnerved, and when I called Jon to check on the status, the item arrived. So, my guess is that everything is fine, but to be sure, I would just give him a call. Pretty sure Jon answers the phone himself everytime...
post #289 of 352 Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I placed order over a week ago and have yet to receive valid tracking numbers. so I guess Im just nervous and looking for assurance is all.

I'll second the above recommendation. If you're worried, call The Audio Insider using their toll free number. At the very least, you could inquire about your order status. Every time I called, I was able to speak to Mr. Lane, and he was always cordial and helpful. I think all Acculine speakers ship from a warehouse in Nevada, and the shipping transit time will vary depending on where in the country you live. Just because you haven't received a tracking number yet does not mean your order hasn't already shipped. From reading this thread, it sounds like they're pretty busy right now (that's impressive, considering the general state of the economy), and they may be lacking enough manpower to keep up and get tracking numbers out on time -- such is the plight of a (growing?) small business.
post #290 of 352 Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM

ah yes. that could be it. normally I wouldn't be worried as I'm pretty patient.
especially for speakers with these kind of specs.
my GF on the other hand, not so much as these are for her place...
and not being able to tell her when its gonna come gets her on my case.
Im gonna try auditioning the A3's against my Athena F2s
There should be a pretty huge gap in performance between them right?
post #291 of 352 Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM

well they just came in today.
funny that.
post #292 of 352 Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:

ah yes. that could be it. normally I wouldn't be worried as I'm pretty patient.
especially for speakers with these kind of specs.
my GF on the other hand, not so much as these are for her place...
and not being able to tell her when its gonna come gets her on my case.
Im gonna try auditioning the A3's against my Athena F2s
There should be a pretty huge gap in performance between them right?

Glad to hear they arrived for you. Enjoy! Please post your impressions after you have had some time to listen and play around with them! Regarding your Athena F2s, like with all speakers, it's going to depend on what type of sound you like. I've never personally heard the Athena's, so I don't know how they typically sound. Look at the F2 specs, it looks like they will go a bit lower and have more bass than the Acculine A3s. However, on the mids and especially the highs, I'd expect the Acculine A3s to sound better, and be a lot clearer. The tweeter in the Acculines is really good and clear. Listening to music in just 2-channel (stereo) mode, I've played around with just using the A3s or using them with the Asub crossed over at 80 Hz. Alone, when spaced 1 foot from the wall, I think the A3s do fine for music and have sufficient bass, although I don't listen to bass heavy hip-hop. For home theater, it's better to use the sub for the really low effects.

Mr. Lane suggested placing the A3s 1 foot from the wall and 3 units apart, with the 'sweet spot' for listening being 4 units away from the speakers in the center. Don't know if that will help . . .
post #293 of 352 Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Where can i find infos on the acculine speakers?
Are the a1 better than bg z1?
post #294 of 352 Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\\| View Post

Where can i find infos on the acculine speakers?
Are the a1 better than bg z1?

The original models had all sold out, Cya|\\|, and so we've moved into final development of a new range with a major upgrade, which we think should launch before August. Thanks for your interest; we'll say more on this later...

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #295 of 352 Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 AM

Great!
So i hope we'll see something even better than the a1r.
Anyway, any plan to make something like a sealed box version of the a1, to pair with a sub, but that has the same midrange as the a1r?
post #296 of 352 Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great!
So i hope we'll see something even better than the a1r.
Anyway, any plan to make something like a sealed box version of the a1, to pair with a sub, but that has the same midrange as the a1r?

The new 5.25" satellite should be quite superior to even the A1r on virtually all points of sail.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #297 of 352 Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 AM

If i may ask you another question: it seems like you won't release a sealed box version. It would be really nice, because if people want to use it with a subwoofer, the reflex is not needed. So it's cost is less, and we get a better quality for the money. And what's more, the cabinet would be even smaller (ideal for desks or shelves).
In case you won't release a sealed box version at all, will you provide them with port plugs, as many producers are doing? This way you could produce a "front" version of the NEW a1, but that can be placed near walls or on desks too.
post #298 of 352 Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If i may ask you another question: it seems like you won't release a sealed box version. It would be really nice, because if people want to use it with a subwoofer, the reflex is not needed. So it's cost is less, and we get a better quality for the money. And what's more, the cabinet would be even smaller (ideal for desks or shelves).
In case you won't release a sealed box version at all, will you provide them with port plugs, as many producers are doing? This way you could produce a "front" version of the NEW a1, but that can be placed near walls or on desks too.

Thanks for the comment; I appreciate the opportunity to follow up on this particular point: In brief, the dual-use system is something we'll probably attempt in these (and other) new products. While the sealed vs reflex debate has a bit of myth to it, the question of boundary-effects is real and relevant. One way to conquer it, as you say, is to simply plug the reflex system's vent.

In the case of the high energy woofers we're using in this series, stopping the vent grants a new sealed, overdamped response and a premature bass rolloff, but it gives us a nicely predictable shallow slope (that's easy to work with in our active highpass crossover setup).

In "sealed mode" the speaker would be easier to use for extreme boundary placement -- such as an on-wall effects speaker -- although I can say that whatever bass such a system does produce will be much leaner than the same system in standard reflex mode (port open).

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #299 of 352 Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Jon, nice seeing you. How are things going at TAI? Its been awhile since we talked or since ive posted in this thread.

I was probably one of the first few here to blindly jump onboard the Acculine speakers, and I don't really regret that I did. I've been using the original A2s in stereo in a PC based setup and have tried other similarly priced bookshelves under $400 like the KEF IQ3s since I've bought the Acculines. I find myself coming back to the Acculines again and again. The Acculine is by no means the perfect budget speaker, but the tweeter is really a work of art and keeps drawing me back... . I'm just so surprised why nobody else is using the Ribbon type tweeters at this price point!

Anyways, I am curious if there are going to be improvements to the A2 and Asub as well? If the new "A1" is going to be a good upgrade in all areas compared to the original model, can we expect the same on A2/A3? Are there any plans of using a different BGC tweeter? Can't wait to hear more info
post #300 of 352 Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miwo View Post

Hey Jon, nice seeing you. How are things going at TAI? Its been awhile since we talked or since ive posted in this thread.

[...]

I am curious if there are going to be improvements to the A2 and Asub as well? If the new "A1" is going to be a good upgrade in all areas compared to the original model, can we expect the same on A2/A3? Are there any plans of using a different BGC tweeter? Can't wait to hear more info

You are a gentleman and scholar, Miwo, and thanks for the kindly thread. The next-gen "Acculine" product will be announced within weeks but in short they'll be all new innards in the same essential trio of flavors: The A1 monitor returns, as does the A2 LCR's, the A3 dual midwoofer tower, and shortly thereafter, a new powered subwoofer.

Given the line's known treble attributes, I think it's the bass that'll really help carry the day this time around. We're going to an interesting new bass technology to compliment the planar tweeters better, and all three models will include subtle alterations inside to match the previous limited production "r" type crossover work and tunings. We're basically now carrying our design elements into all three key areas: treble drivers, bass drivers, and integration.

ETA is August, plus or minus. Thanks again!

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page