Acculine Owners Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 352 Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my Arx 3's and it will be a very tough speaker to beat for $499 a pair,very nice deep tight bass,very detailed mids and excellent topend extension,i'll give more later as i finish breaking them in,as you cant see from the other posters pics of the Arx 2's the finish and build quality is very nice,well people more to come,later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 352 Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM

I know most people haven't heard the Arx speakers yet, but does anyone know how the Acculine/Arx lines compare to Energy offerings?
post #333 of 352 Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Miwo,

Can you measure the size the Arx A2? The space in my cabinet is exactly 7.1''H x 20''W. I need to know if it fits. Thanks.
post #334 of 352 Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Couple of questions for Jon

1-Are you considering designing any on-wall di/bi polar arx speakers?

2-I am looking for a floorstanding speaker at least 40-inches tall....is the A4 going to be taller than the A3(which is just tall enough for my needs at 39.8 inches)

3-The A6 seems to be a 3 way center speaker.....this is perfect for my needs as I am only considering a 9.1 system (5.1+2ch DSX Height+2ch DSX Width) but want a full 3 way center....which would be a better match for the A6 center....the A4 or the A5?

4-Will the optional finishes be offered soon after the introduction of the A4/5/6?.....I am looking to get a system with a dark red/rosewood finish similar to this will you offer this option?

Thank you in advance for your response and I look forward to getting your products in the future
post #335 of 352 Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Hey there very interested in the A1's, and eventually A3's. Haven't had the opportunity to listen to a ribbon tweeter properly before, but have heard very good things about them, and specifically the Arx speakers.

Was wondering if someone could describe to me roughly what I can expect from them, comparing to something like Klipsch, Paradigm, Energy, Tannoy would help me greatly, as I haven't had a chance to listen to many speakers other than the ones listed.

I'd really hate to deal with the hassle of shipping a pair of perfectly good bookshelves back from Canada.

I use the speakers for 60/40 movies & gaming/music, but am MUCH more particular when it comes to the musical performance of the speaker.
post #336 of 352 Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ribbon tweeters:

+ extended, sweet high frequency extension

- limited vertical dispersion

Or so I have heard
post #337 of 352 Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

Ribbon tweeters:

+ extended, sweet high frequency extension

- limited vertical dispersion

Or so I have heard

So are my speakers with ribbon tweeters. Even a deaf could ear the difference by standing instead of being seated. But i also listen to my speakers in nearfield position, so a little variation in height, means a high vertical angle.
post #338 of 352 Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Based on my experience with new ARX3 speakers I have sought out this forum and thread to share my results. Speakers are in third week of an intensive work out and I am very impressed.

By way of context first let me say that I am an audio enthusiast with varied musical tastes and a budget. My equipment ownership and shopping experiences run the gamut from cheap and weak to costly and powerful, from functional to furniture quality. I have owned speakers ranging from mini to micro, bookshelf to direct reflecting, soundbars and big box to custom. My power and source equipment have included pre-amp/amp configs, and all manner of integrated amps and power levels with various tuners, tape decks, turntables and now, digital. Nothing too exotic.

Recently, after many years of casual research, sampling and shopping I was forced into a speaker replacement decision. I concentrated on sound quality, build quality and technical innovation as criteria. The logical result of the "correct" choice is a high value/price ratio. Finally I settled on the ARX3 balancing the risk of an unknown product from an unknown seller via a web based transaction with some preliminary positive feedback (early reviewers), credible representations from the exclusive seller, theAudioInsider, and my own high expectations. I have not been disappointed. In fact I am very impressed.

To this point I have pushed these speakers with analog and digital content ranging from classical to bluegrass, from harmonious to headbanging and vintage rock to indie to jazz. What is most clear so far is that these speakers accurately and efficiently reproduce the tonal range of all these types of music with clarity and detail. Further, the speakers perform at all volume levels. Personally I am predisposed to deep and loud but while I want to feel the percussive impact of the music in my chest I also want to distinguish the instrumentation and appreciate the skill of the performers. The ARX3s meet all my requirements.

Interestingly, in my research prior to purchase I found countless reviews in which the reviewer stated that theirs was a $500 speaker that sounded like a $1,000 or a $2,000 that was comparable to a $5,000, etc. I can't make that kind of claim here but I will tell you that this is a fine pair of speakers for $500. Granted, these speakers will not be confused with fancy furniture but they are attractive in a utilitarian way and they arrived with not a scratch. In addition I am impressed with the quality of my communications with theAudioInsider--highly responsive and precise.

I expect to enjoy through break-in (might be 30 days per doco) and beyond as I reposition the speakers around my listening space, swap components and sources and try to isolate that unique set of variables that produce the perfect listening experience. If anything changes I will update this post but in the meantime I hope you find this info useful.
post #339 of 352 Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Another question for you Arx or Acculine owners out there. What can I expect as far as tonal balance goes? Are they quick, responsive, detailed and usually on the bright side like a metal dome, or laid back and more organic sounding like a soft dome?

I understand these questions are incredibly subjective, and the speaker really needs to be heard to understand completely. But any comparisons would help greatly. I'm looking mainly for a musical speaker with good imaging, but also want it to be neutral if not a little warm sounding.
post #340 of 352 Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsey View Post

Another question for you Arx or Acculine owners out there. What can I expect as far as tonal balance goes? Are they quick, responsive, detailed and usually on the bright side like a metal dome, or laid back and more organic sounding like a soft dome?

I understand these questions are incredibly subjective, and the speaker really needs to be heard to understand completely. But any comparisons would help greatly. I'm looking mainly for a musical speaker with good imaging, but also want it to be neutral if not a little warm sounding.

volsey, if we can shed some light on the design goals and their results, please drop us a line or call. Arx an unusual category, and as our second generation of that category, somewhat different than Acculine in important ways. I'd be happy to discuss further.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #341 of 352 Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 PM

This is in response to Miwo's comparo of the older Acculines and new Arx models. It's certainly great to get feedback from someone who has compared both old and new. The new Arx is a great speaker for the price I am sure. I just have to point out that the B&G Neo3 tweeter that sounded forward and bright is from the design of that particular speaker or Miwo's subjective opinion? There are many designs using the Neo3 including my own where it's as detailed and natural sounding compared with top performing soft
domes.
post #342 of 352 Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM

There's also something about a quality Soft Dome, that sounds right. I am waiting for Jon to get the new 8 ohm Dana's, which will be a nice alternative to my B&G Neo3!
post #343 of 352 Old 10-10-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsey View Post

The planer magnetic tweeters are very smooth but extended,and most importantly intergrated,in Jons application they sound like a good 25mm softdome with non grating extension not extension with the drawback of most metal domes.The Arx is a very nuetral speaker with a very clean and fast sound without being fatiging or overly warm,and they have a very suprising bottom end with real slam,they are the best tower speaker at the $500 mark.
post #344 of 352 Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 PM

So with the tweeters having less vertical dispersion, does that mean that they'll sound less good than, say, the Swan Divas' when walking around or standing up?

stereo music, baby.
post #345 of 352 Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessd View Post

Based on my experience with new ARX3 speakers I have sought out this forum and thread to share my results. Speakers are in third week of an intensive work out and I am very impressed.

By way of context first let me say that I am an audio enthusiast with varied musical tastes and a budget. My equipment ownership and shopping experiences run the gamut from cheap and weak to costly and powerful, from functional to furniture quality. I have owned speakers ranging from mini to micro, bookshelf to direct reflecting, soundbars and big box to custom. My power and source equipment have included pre-amp/amp configs, and all manner of integrated amps and power levels with various tuners, tape decks, turntables and now, digital. Nothing too exotic.

Recently, after many years of casual research, sampling and shopping I was forced into a speaker replacement decision. I concentrated on sound quality, build quality and technical innovation as criteria. The logical result of the "correct" choice is a high value/price ratio. Finally I settled on the ARX3 balancing the risk of an unknown product from an unknown seller via a web based transaction with some preliminary positive feedback (early reviewers), credible representations from the exclusive seller, theAudioInsider, and my own high expectations. I have not been disappointed. In fact I am very impressed.

To this point I have pushed these speakers with analog and digital content ranging from classical to bluegrass, from harmonious to headbanging and vintage rock to indie to jazz. What is most clear so far is that these speakers accurately and efficiently reproduce the tonal range of all these types of music with clarity and detail. Further, the speakers perform at all volume levels. Personally I am predisposed to deep and loud but while I want to feel the percussive impact of the music in my chest I also want to distinguish the instrumentation and appreciate the skill of the performers. The ARX3s meet all my requirements.

Interestingly, in my research prior to purchase I found countless reviews in which the reviewer stated that theirs was a $500 speaker that sounded like a $1,000 or a $2,000 that was comparable to a $5,000, etc. I can't make that kind of claim here but I will tell you that this is a fine pair of speakers for $500. Granted, these speakers will not be confused with fancy furniture but they are attractive in a utilitarian way and they arrived with not a scratch. In addition I am impressed with the quality of my communications with theAudioInsider--highly responsive and precise.

I expect to enjoy through break-in (might be 30 days per doco) and beyond as I reposition the speakers around my listening space, swap components and sources and try to isolate that unique set of variables that produce the perfect listening experience. If anything changes I will update this post but in the meantime I hope you find this info useful.

Do you work for Arx? You joined in August 2010, which is also when the above message was written, never written anything before and never written anything since.
post #346 of 352 Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

Do you work for Arx?

No.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #347 of 352 Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

What ever happened to the ARX A4s and A5s?
post #348 of 352 Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm also interested in any updates about the Arx A5.
post #349 of 352 Old 05-06-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The Arx A5 prototype is nearly complete. News on this model will appear in May.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #350 of 352 Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quick question:

Are there ideally used with solid state or tube amps? I'm sure both would work but I'm asking about ideal match up so that there's maximum synergy between speaker and amp.

Secondly, what is the ideal MINIMUM listening distance for this to still have good imaging and soundstage?

Thanks,
UL
post #351 of 352 Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight1 View Post

Quick question:

Are there ideally used with solid state or tube amps? I'm sure both would work but I'm asking about ideal match up so that there's maximum synergy between speaker and amp.

Secondly, what is the ideal MINIMUM listening distance for this to still have good imaging and soundstage?

Thanks,
UL

Opinions will vary, but mine is that the majority of users will use the line with solid state amplification and some will prefer tubes for their sound or for personal reasons. There's really nothing in the line's design that will favor one over the other (and in fact we designed and voiced it with both but finished up on some unusual tube gear). The line is certainly going to be used more with popularly-priced amplification than tube exotics.

Minimum listening distance could be as little as a couple of feet where the A1 is used in a monitoring situation. As with amplification, there's nothing in the line that would favor a listening distance outside the norm for speakers the size of the three Arx models.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #352 of 352 Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If anyone is still following this thread...there's a group buy being set up for the upcoming Arx 5. It's a very nice introductory offer that bundles a free pair of A1s and a A2 at half price. If you opt out of the A2 at half price you still get a free pair of A1s.

The price of the A5 is not set yet but will be ~ $750 + or - $50. I'm signed up for the GB.
Head over to the Arx forum at The Audio Insider for details:
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum...4-Arx-Speakers
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page