Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 352 Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know if these speakers would be good match for a tube amp (about 35 watts)? I looked but didn't see any impedance graphs on the site. I'm shooting for a fairly level impedance across the frequency range. I'd also be interested in opinions as to which (A2/3) would be better for a music only system.

TIA
post #93 of 352 Old 10-10-2007, 08:03 AM

Has anyone been able to track down the results of the GTG comparing floorstanders from Swan, Rockets, and the A3's?
post #94 of 352 Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Well I pressed the button on the A1's early this week, for my PC system. Also went with the Onkyo 604 refurbed.

Got the Onkyo, waiting (impatiently) for the speakers (tapping his foot on the floor )
post #95 of 352 Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 PM

I've been lurking on the amps & speakers forums for a few weeks now so I can put together a decent entry-level 70%HT/30%music system for my 15x20x9 den. I already have a nice, but older 52" 720p DLP set in the corner and I'm thinking an Onkyo 705 would be just about right for an amp. A Combo DVD/VCR and SD Dish Receiver are my other sources.

I'm *really* jonesin' for a pair of A3's to start off with and adding an A2 for a center and an Asub somewhat later. I'd be very interested in opinions/experiences on A3's vs A2's for the fronts. I'd like to grow into a full 7.1 system over time with about a $1500 budget for the speakers.

I like the A3's better low-end specs and, since the Asub isn't quite back in stock yet, I can see waiting a bit for the Asub and an A2 center. While the A3 has a small footprint for a floor stander, it's still much taller than the A2 (potential WAF problem )

TIA
post #96 of 352 Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 PM

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of A2's. This are my first decent (well, way more than decent if any of the reports are even halfway accurate ) pair of speakers. I am moving up from those Insignia's from Best Buy that were dirt cheap. Before the Insignia's, I had used Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's for almost 4 years .

Anyways, the A2's will driven by my vintage A-8047V Onkyo integrated amp. My sources kind of suck though, a mix of: flac's through creative extigy, vinyl from a Technics SL-DD33 and CD's through a Toshiba DVD Player, model SD-3950. My interconnects and speaker wire are all average to above average. No room treatments, yet

I'm super pumped. I'll be sure to give a full report.
post #97 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 AM

Forgive my noobish questions, but I have one ...

Can anyone owning an A2 comment on the driver's arrangement? The picture on the TAI site looks like it's MTM but what's the orientation of the planar tweeter?

Seems like if 3 x A2's were used as your LCR, with the center horizontal, then that center speaker's tweeter would have a different soundfield dispersion orientation than the LR's.

Does this really matter? Should the C tweeter be rotated to match the LR's? Can this even be done without wrecking the speaker? Have I been reading too many articles on speakers, crossovers, amps, and wires?
post #98 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Got my A1's for the office/computer yesterday. Will hook them up to the Onkyo 604 tonight and let them start to warm up...
post #99 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM

any updates on upcoming products from TAI?
post #100 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley1st View Post

Can anyone owning an A2 comment on the driver's arrangement? The picture on the TAI site looks like it's MTM but what's the orientation of the planar tweeter?

Seems like if 3 x A2's were used as your LCR, with the center horizontal, then that center speaker's tweeter would have a different soundfield dispersion orientation than the LR's.

Does this really matter? Should the C tweeter be rotated to match the LR's? Can this even be done without wrecking the speaker? Have I been reading too many articles on speakers, crossovers, amps, and wires?

Great question, and it does indeed matter. The tweeters are designed to rotate and should be to keep all of them aligned vertically. Four screws, five minutes, and you should be good to go!

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #101 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver5656 View Post

any updates on upcoming products from TAI?

Much to report, just not here or all at once...

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #102 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
dsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley1st View Post

The A2's are an MTM arrangement. Stock (at least mine), they come with the tweeter configured for horizontal placement (i.e. center channel duty). The tweeter can easily be rotated 90 degrees by removing 4 screws. Right now I have all three horizontal, but plan on going vertical with the LR's and rotating the tweeters.

I haven't posted any listening comments yet, but I want to go on record stating that I really enjoy these speakers. They are very dynamic, able to handle both quiet and loud passages in an effortless fashion. My favorite listening test for dynamics is Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way - notably the section where he plays the guitar with a voice box. The snare on that passage has a huge dynamic range, and distortion is evident with lesser speakers. The A2's sound great here, with the snare having just the right snap, and the cymbal crashes sounding like they would from the front row of a concert.

The tweeter is a truly outstanding part. One listening test I always perform with new speakers is to play songs with subtle wind chimes (e.g. Heart's Magic Man, especially the middle section after the bass sweep). On many dome tweeter drivers, the wind chimes are barely audible, sounding like they are outside of the room. The A2's put them right there in front of you. The word I would use is "immediacy". Little details like the wind chimes I mention, the sound of fingers on a fret board, breath intakes, all are there to be enjoyed.

The best thing about using speakers with such a high quality tweeter is the enjoyment you get from older recordings. Without resorting to tipped up highs in the mastering process, you are able to hear all of the shimmer in the original performances. I've been missing this experience since I went to a 5.1 system, even though I formally used Axiom M2's which are generally thought to be "detailed" and/or "bright".

My former reference/favorite were a pair of Speakerlab S7's, which rely on fairly high quality EV compression horns for the mids and highs. Say what you want about horns, when properly implemented with high quality parts, they are capable of giving you a "being there" experience that is rare with cone/dome drivers. My personal test for this is how music sounds in the next room - with the Speakerlabs, and now with the A2's, I still hear music and details, as opposed to a muffled mish mash of sound. I'm sure you all have experienced the same at live performances when you take a bathroom break, or when you walk by the street entrance to a live venue. Dynamics and immediacy are still there ...

At their price, the Acculine A2's are a great buy, and I would highly recommend that anyone looking for good sound at a bargain price give them a try. Jon Lane and the folks at BGC have been a pleasure to deal with, and are to be congratulated on a very successful collaboration.

Dave
post #103 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

Much to report, just not here or all at once...

give us something Jon. Swan 2.1 centre or towers? Pics of piano Black versions? New Danas" Acculine 15 inch sub? Acculine 3 ways???????
post #104 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

give us something Jon. Swan 2.1 centre or towers? Pics of piano Black versions? New Danas" Acculine 15 inch sub? Acculine 3 ways???????

Yes and yes (5 new models minimum). Not quite yet, but think a gloss black piano. Yes, in time, plenty. Yes, plus more (probably much more). Yes.

I can't tip our hand completely, but suffice to say I'm way too busy, at least for my age.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #105 of 352 Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

would it be fair to say that the first version of the Swan 2.1 towers will exceed the performance over the current stand mount version by a fair margin?
post #106 of 352 Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

would it be fair to say that the first version of the Swan 2.1 towers will exceed the performance over the current stand mount version by a fair margin?

I don't see the towers being any more musically satisfying, but I would expect to find them a bigger, more full-band, and slightly more dynamic sound.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #107 of 352 Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatasiaus View Post

Got my A1's for the office/computer yesterday. Will hook them up to the Onkyo 604 tonight and let them start to warm up...

Well I've hooked everything up, and have been happily listening to MP3 based music for the past two days.

I must compliment Jon and his team. The speakers sound great in my small (8x8) office setup. Compared to the Axiom M22's in the Family room surround setup, the Acculine A1's seem a bit more neutral (the Axiom's are a bit bright).

I like'em. Just need to get the a-sub, whenever it becomes available
post #108 of 352 Old 10-19-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatasiaus View Post

Just need to get the a-sub, whenever it becomes available

Thank you for the kind words, boatasiaus.

The improved A-Sub (which I believe we'll be calling the A-Sub10) may dock as early as mid-December. It'll likely have a passive radiator in place of the port, which we're told in this design will be good for as much as 4-5dB more above cutoff. We also believe we can hold the line, or nearly so, on price.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #109 of 352 Old 10-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don F. View Post

. I have a pair of Acculine A-1s on order, hopefully they will be here Tuesday. I will pass my opinion on in a couple of weeks. (I know what opinions are a-kin-to).

I have had the A-1s in service for about two weeks. I sat my BA vrb s aside and used the Acculines as my mains. The A-1 is a small speaker, but has very good sound. I really like the tweeter, as it carried the highs very well. When combined with my hsu sub, the sound was great. The only dislike I had was when I turned the volume UP, the clear detail became a little muddy. From my listening position, using a vu meter, the speakers were very good up to about 80 db, and that's pretty loud. My room is about 12 by 14 and I have seven 2ft. by 2ft. sound panels. I really could not replace the Bostons with the A-1, so I wired them together in parallel as my mains. The Onkyo is capable of pushing the 4 ohm load. So far, I am happy with the sound.
The A-1 is a monitor, but IMO worth the money.
Anyway, that's my opinion.
p.s. the wed site needs some help.

Tired
post #110 of 352 Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Are the Acculine speakers actually Celesion speakers just ubder a different name,etc?
post #111 of 352 Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Are the Acculine speakers actually Celesion speakers just ubder a different name,etc?

No, they are an original design using a Neo planar-magnetic treble driver developed by BGC, Nevada. TAI features them in the ID channel.

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #112 of 352 Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
oops left out the `t' guess that doesn't matter...I was confused because Celestion has an `Acculine' and aside from the newer tweeter they are almost identical spec wise.
post #113 of 352 Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm listening to the A2's right now. See my earlier posts in this thread if you want to see all of the upstream components used with them. They only have about 2.5 hours on them so far, so I don't want to give any real impressions yet.

Two things are unlikely to change much, so I will comment on them. They are 4 ohms and 89db efficient. Which means, with my Onkyo Integrated (100 @ 8ohms and ? @ 4ohms) they are louder at 5 out of 40 on the volume than I would ever possibly need them. Like, really loud!

Second, they make my very recently acquired vinyl setup (like 4 weeks old) sounds like crap. Every single pop and crackle is much more amplified through the A2's than my old Insignia's I guess this is a good thing, but it still pisses me off that I already have to buy a new turntable. Oh well, I guess an early Christmas present is in order
post #114 of 352 Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunuggs View Post

I'm listening to the A2's right now. See my earlier posts in this thread if you want to see all of the upstream components used with them. They only have about 2.5 hours on them so far, so I don't want to give any real impressions yet.

Two things are unlikely to change much, so I will comment on them. They are 4 ohms and 89db efficient. Which means, with my Onkyo Integrated (100 @ 8ohms and ? @ 4ohms) they are louder at 5 out of 40 on the volume than I would ever possibly need them. Like, really loud!

Second, they make my very recently acquired vinyl setup (like 4 weeks old) sounds like crap. Every single pop and crackle is much more amplified through the A2's than my old Insignia's I guess this is a good thing, but it still pisses me off that I already have to buy a new turntable. Oh well, I guess an early Christmas present is in order

Maybe your albums just need some cleaning?
post #115 of 352 Old 10-24-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

1 thing i can say is the A3 is indeed special and its a huge steal for the price,I can think of a lot speakers that cost a lot more,that they will beat up on.
post #116 of 352 Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

such as? don't hold back
post #117 of 352 Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

i know some of your past budget favourites were Rocket 450's, NHT Classics, Dana bookshelves and Swan d2.1's, how do the a3's compare to those?
post #118 of 352 Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i know some of your past budget favourites were Rocket 450's, NHT Classics, Dana bookshelves and Swan d2.1's, how do the a3's compare to those?

Well none will match the neo in the topend, the 630 are very extended though for a Vifa dome.The Classic 3 was never a favorite of mine all of these speakers you listed are better in my opinion than the Classic 3,So far my favorites are the Dana 630,Swan D2.1 SE,and the A3,they all have such different sound characters,once I hear the Dana 670,and the floorstanding version of the 2.1s I will have a better gauge,but the NEO tweeter is gonna be very hard to beat though.
post #119 of 352 Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

such as? don't hold back

Its a very long list.
post #120 of 352 Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member