Acculine Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 352 Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This thread hasn't been updated in nearly two months. Jon, are these Acculines being made available to professional reviewers? I've read several positive comments, a few negatives, but in general, I simply haven't seen *enough* reviews of them (by either regular users or professional reviewers). I really like the *idea* of the unique tweeter, and the price is certainly attractive, but I don't have the time or discipline to return speakers on time that would make auditioning several different speaker brands/models at home work for me, so I'm anxious to hear from others. Preferably those who have compared them with other bookshelf/monitors.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 352 Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
srauly, there are a trio of professional reviews upcoming, all of which are on the A3 - look for one as early as next week, with the second and third within about 45 days. A fourth major review is planned for the entire Acculine system.

Now that we've added the A1r. have the revised ASub landing in 21 days, and are hitting stride with plans for mid-2008, you can expect a lot of new material.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #183 of 352 Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Jon, it's my understanding that the A1r's are meant for stand usage farther out from the front wall. What would be the desired min/max distances from the front wall for the A1, A1r, and A2?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #184 of 352 Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the way I'd qualify best-use, srauly, would be to say that the original A1 is a true "bookshelf" speaker, and therefore it and it alone likes to be either on-wall (surround/effects) use, or in reasonably close proximity to a major boundary, that being within 18" or thereabouts.

In that respect it's not that the A1r, A2, and A3 need prescribed distances from walls as much as it's the case the A1 wants to be fairly close.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #185 of 352 Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

John, a few questions:
1) Any update on the professional reviews you referred to? (and Acculine owners, if you see this thread, please post your opinions here, too, if you haven't already)
2) You indicate that the A1 needs/likes to be close to the wall, but the A1r does not. If, for example, I purchased a 5-channel system with three A1r's across the front and intended to wall-mount the surrounds, would you recommend A1's or A1r's for that? Your naming of the A1r ("r" for revised) suggests that perhaps these A1r's are meant as replacements for the A1's once A1 stock is gone. Or is that not the case?
3) What's the ETA on the Acculine subwoofers being in stock again?
4) Regarding the A2's dimensions...is it 7.1" high and 9.3" deep or 9.3" high and 7.1" deep?
5) If a receiver is not rated for 4ohms, would it still be reasonable to drive four 8-ohm A1r's and a *single* 4-ohm A2 or would the A2 not be recommended?

Scott R
--------------
post #186 of 352 Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

John, a few questions:
1) Any update on the professional reviews you referred to? (and Acculine owners, if you see this thread, please post your opinions here, too, if you haven't already)

Affordable Audio just published their thoughts on the A3, and at least two more A3 reviews are in the pipeline.

Quote:

2) You indicate that the A1 needs/likes to be close to the wall, but the A1r does not. If, for example, I purchased a 5-channel system with three A1r's across the front and intended to wall-mount the surrounds, would you recommend A1's or A1r's for that? Your naming of the A1r ("r" for revised) suggests that perhaps these A1r's are meant as replacements for the A1's once A1 stock is gone. Or is that not the case?

Agreed: Use the A1r for front main duty and the A1 for onwall use. Good call. BTW, Chris and I just had the chance to do a little Acculine listening and let me just say that I really enjoyed it. This guy is good.

Quote:

3) What's the ETA on the Acculine subwoofers being in stock again?

Approx May 1st. Expect 25 watts added power and about 2dB more output down low. Costs should be very close to the original level.

Quote:

4) Regarding the A2's dimensions...is it 7.1" high and 9.3" deep or 9.3" high and 7.1" deep?

They're deeper than they are wide.

Quote:

5) If a receiver is not rated for 4ohms, would it still be reasonable to drive four 8-ohm A1r's and a *single* 4-ohm A2 or would the A2 not be recommended?

We've yet to have a report of the four ohm models causing any competent receiver fits, so I'd say go for it. The A2 is not an excessively low or reactive four ohm load.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #187 of 352 Old 04-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

Affordable Audio just published their thoughts on the A3, and at least two more A3 reviews are in the pipeline.

Where can I find this Affordable Audio review? I checked their website and pdfs and could not find it.
post #188 of 352 Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It's in the April edition. Here's the link to the April PDF:
http://affordableaudio.org/aa2008-04.pdf

Overall, a very positive review. He seemed to love the upper frequencies, but said that the midrange "seemed a bit recessed and on the cool side of neutral."

So no upcoming reviews of the A1r Jon?

Scott R
--------------
post #189 of 352 Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM

Just noticed that the A Sub is listed up for sale at $299 today. It was out of stock yesterday.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=68
post #190 of 352 Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lne937s View Post

Just noticed that the A Sub is listed up for sale at $299 today. It was out of stock yesterday.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=68

Yes indeed, they're hitting port in two days...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #191 of 352 Old 04-19-2008, 03:56 PM

Hello Jon,

My Onkyo 705 can bet as 4ohm or 6ohm. I have three A2's across the front. All the surround speakers I've looked at including the A1 are 8ohm. I asked you about this already but should change the setting to 6ohm? I only have one setting for all 5 speakers. Or, should I leave the setting at 4ohms for all five?

Now that the Asub is instock. I am looking to add this as well. I noticed that this sub is no longer ranked in the Craigsub ranking. I know it was and was rated fairly high and ranked as a good value. Do you have the old ranking? Is this sub better suited for movies or music? I currently have a JBL 12 inch sub http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=SUB&ser=PER

How does the asub compare to my current sub? I'm trying to understand what the benefit would be to the Asub versus the JBL?
post #192 of 352 Old 04-21-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi Jon:

A while ago you talked about new products that would be introduced. Can you give us an update?

Thanks.
post #193 of 352 Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

Hello Jon,

My Onkyo 705 can bet as 4ohm or 6ohm. I have three A2's across the front. All the surround speakers I've looked at including the A1 are 8ohm. I asked you about this already but should change the setting to 6ohm? I only have one setting for all 5 speakers. Or, should I leave the setting at 4ohms for all five?

I think I'd default to the four ohm setting if I were you. Odds are the Onkyo won't have any issue at either setting, but to be safe, consider the 4 ohm position. The A2 is four ohms.

Quote:

Now that the Asub is instock. I am looking to add this as well. I noticed that this sub is no longer ranked in the Craigsub ranking. I know it was and was rated fairly high and ranked as a good value. Do you have the old ranking? Is this sub better suited for movies or music? I currently have a JBL 12 inch sub http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=SUB&ser=PER

How does the asub compare to my current sub? I'm trying to understand what the benefit would be to the Asub versus the JBL?

I honestly don't know the JBL product. Ratings-wise, I'd expect its larger woofer and more powerful amplifier to win the day, but as with all things, you'd have to try it to see.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #194 of 352 Old 04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsail View Post

Hi Jon:

A while ago you talked about new products that would be introduced. Can you give us an update?

Thanks.

I'm going to respectfully pass, dmsail. We're working on a number of things, but in the interest of not touting vaporware, I'll play this one a little closer to the vest until we have specific items to announce, together with specific due dates.

I will say that working on Acculine as as much fun as I've had in awhile, so there's a hint...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #195 of 352 Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Starting to throw together a system. Room i have now is quite small (11'x11'ish) but i am giving a 2.1 setup a shot to build on as budget becomes available.

Starting with:
Onkyo 605
Acculine A1s
Acculine Asub

Problem i see in growing is if i were to stick with acculine, the A2 is a 4 ohm speaker and the 605 is only rated down to 6. Any suggestions?
post #196 of 352 Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

feilb, I've always found it a little ironic that amplifiers with as much ability to drive relatively difficult loads as the Onkyo's come with 6 ohm minimum settings. In short, it's no issue at all.

The Acculine A1's are a fairly benign load, at least relative to some "8 ohm" speakers I've seen come across my bench that are both highly reactive and have 4-5 ohm baselines where it counts.

Also, unless you're using the A1's close to boundaries, you may want to consider the A1r. You know how to reach us if you need a little more info on how that works.

And with the ASub back in stock, which you're considering, my opinion of engineer Chris Brunhaver gets yet another boost...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #197 of 352 Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 AM

Jon,

Thanks for the reply, i have been lurking this thread for a while (not to mention the forum) and have been impressed with your responsiveness.

I am using the A1s within a couple inches of the wall. The small room is somewhat of a home office right now and they will actually be on a desk.

In the future when i move up to a house with a more conducive room, i will probably wall mount the A1s and pick up a pair of A1rs (or A2's if you think the 605 could drive them).
post #198 of 352 Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feilb View Post

I am using the A1s within a couple inches of the wall. The small room is somewhat of a home office right now and they will actually be on a desk.

I think you'll prefer the A1's, then.

Quote:

In the future when i move up to a house with a more conducive room, i will probably wall mount the A1s and pick up a pair of A1rs (or A2's if you think the 605 could drive them).

I think it could, without a problem. None of these models are highly reactive and none have really low impedance minimums.

That's it for me today; off to swap some new Wilwood brake calipers on the car...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #199 of 352 Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Jon,

Thats not 2 technical hobbies is it?? How could you have any money left? Into photography too?? Car, sound, photo = budget killers.
post #200 of 352 Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 AM

Jon

I called you last week to inquire about b stock speakers and you told me there is going to be big sale on b stock by the May 1. I still don't see anything listed on the site. Can you please tell me the status? I am hoping you have some B stock A1's or maybe a new Acculine surround speaker. I'm looking to complete my 5.1 setup with surrounds.
post #201 of 352 Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

Jon

I called you last week to inquire about b stock speakers and you told me there is going to be big sale on b stock by the May 1. I still don't see anything listed on the site. Can you please tell me the status? I am hoping you have some B stock A1's or maybe a new Acculine surround speaker. I'm looking to complete my 5.1 setup with surrounds.

We're running a little behind, setting this all up, but check back in less than 72 hours; there should be what you want in the forums. We're making May Acculine month.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #202 of 352 Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jon,

Thats not 2 technical hobbies is it?? How could you have any money left? Into photography too?? Car, sound, photo = budget killers.

Good point. Fortunately, it's only a street car...

I understand Steve Rochlin of Enjoy the Music is racing in the Formula 2000 series, and quite successfully from the looks of it. Check out Enjoy the Track.

Didn't Richard Vandersteen race too? And I seem to recall Magnequest's Mike LeFevre either campaigning or sponsoring a sprint car...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #203 of 352 Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

I have a feeling just one of those tires for the Formula car is more than my whole audio budget.
post #204 of 352 Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM

jon,

I understand that the ASub has changed from the version previously reviewed by craigsub. What changes were made and how will this compare to the last in performance terms.

Also, being as i ordered one this weekend, will I be seeing it any time soon?
post #205 of 352 Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 AM

I've driven a Reynard F2000 briefly- it is a lot harder than it looks. The extreme rear weight bias means you pretty much need to have your foot on the gas any time the wheel is slightly turned or the weight will shift forward and put you tail first (or sideways at 120+, at least I kept it on the track). The non-syncro'ed gearbox, light flywheel, and high first gear will leave you grinding or stalling until you get used to it. I kept having to tell myself "in slow, out fast, in slow, out fast, in slow, out fast...."

Anyway, I am looking forward to the B-stock, if it is just cosmetic blemishes. My girlfriend and her large, troublesome cat are moving in and I will be using A1's to replace the top-heavy Magnepan scratching posts in my living room system. While I hope the new speakers never get touched, I'm realistically expecting them to get knocked over or scratched a little- starting out with something cosmetically imperfect will make me feel better.
post #206 of 352 Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jon,

I understand that the ASub has changed from the version previously reviewed by craigsub. What changes were made and how will this compare to the last in performance terms.

Also, being as i ordered one this weekend, will I be seeing it any time soon?

Hi feilb. The changes are simple enough to itemize, and effective enough we hope we've again raised the value bar.

1. An additional 25 watts in onboard amplification;
2. As much as 2dB more output, we're told, just above cutoff. I hope to confirm this with measured data when I have an extra moment;
3. A price increase of ten dollars.

Shipments are happening daily and as with all in-stock TAI items, we ship within 24 hours, many times same day. FedEx Ground transit times from Reno to the East Coast can range to five business days.

I hope you enjoy your new ASub!

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #207 of 352 Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lne937s View Post

Anyway, I am looking forward to the B-stock, if it is just cosmetic blemishes. My girlfriend and her large, troublesome cat are moving in and I will be using A1's to replace the top-heavy Magnepan scratching posts in my living room system. While I hope the new speakers never get touched, I'm realistically expecting them to get knocked over or scratched a little- starting out with something cosmetically imperfect will make me feel better.

Today I'm working through the details of our Acculine system specials for May, which I trust will post later today on our site.

The B-stock, open-box, refurbs, and other specials (of which virtually none are actually cosmetically compromised) should also post within 24 hours.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #208 of 352 Old 05-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

Today I'm working through the details of our Acculine system specials for May, which I trust will post later today on our site.

The B-stock, open-box, refurbs, and other specials (of which virtually none are actually cosmetically compromised) should also post within 24 hours.

Woo who! Waiting for the B stock annoucement with tax rebate in hand! Great deals on the new stuff for May Jon! I just don't need any of it. I wish the 5.1 system was available when I bought my A2's in December.
post #209 of 352 Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Jon, I believe you are getting back around today... Any word on the Acculine sale??
post #210 of 352 Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jon, I believe you are getting back around today... Any word on the Acculine sale??

I am and we have: Check our Hot Deals forum for the two special May events.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page