AVS Forum banner

Acculine Owners Thread

71K views 351 replies 88 participants last post by  KramerTC 
#1 ·
I have noticed that this speaker line is starting to gain momentum from a few forum members. I thought it would be a good oppertunity for owners and future owners of Acculine speakers to post their setups, chime in, share their thoughts, and opinions about the Acculine speakers.

For those who have not heard or read up on the Acculine speakers, they are a very new brand exclusively available at TheAudioInsider. These may potentially be the next big thing for those looking for budget speakers delivering great sound. I think these are very unique because they feature a Bohlender-Graebener Neo3 (3" Wideband Planar Magnetic Driver) for high frequencies. I am hoping people will try these Acculines out and compare them against other popular Internet Direct speakers in the same price range such as the Ascend 170SE. av123 X-LS, SVS SBS-01, SVS SCS-01M, etc.

My two LCRs should be coming in next week, which will be used in my bedroom 2.1 computer stereo setup. I'll be comparing them with my Boston Acoustics CR67s

Product Links:

Acculine A1 Bookshelfs (Single 5.25", 3" Wideband Planar Magnetic)
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=65

Acculine A2 LCR (Dual 5.25", 3" Wideband Planar Magnetic)
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=66

Acculine A3 Towers (Dual 5.25", 3" Wideband Planar Magnetic)
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=67

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update June/2010

Arx A1,A2,A3 are now shipping!

Arx A1 - Bass reflex satellite/monitor. Single 5.25" XBL2 woofer and single 3" planar tweeter. Black simulated ash PVC with black knit grille.

Arx A2 - Bass reflex LCR/Center speaker with rotating tweeter for either vertical or horizontal use. Dual 5.25" XBL2 woofers and single 3" planar tweeter. Black simulated ash PVC with black knit grille.

Arx A3 - Bass reflex floorstanding tower. Dual 5.25" XBL2 woofers and single 3" planar tweeter. Black simulated ash PVC with black knit grille.

Arx A4 - High-output 3-way stand monitor / theater speaker to compliment the A6. Single 6.5" XBL2 woofer, single 5.25" midrange, and single 3" planar tweeter. Black simulated ash PVC with black knit grille. Stocks Fall 2010

Arx A5 - Bass reflex floorstanding tower the same size as the A3. Triple 5.25" XBL2 woofers, single 5.25" midrange, and single 3" planar tweeter. Black simulated ash PVC with black knit grille. Stocks Summer 2010

Arx A6 - Large format, horizontal, sealed LCR/center speaker to compliment the A4. Dual 6.5" XBL2 woofers, single 5.25" midrange, and single 3" planar tweeter. Black simulated ash PVC with black knit grille. Stocks Fall 2010

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Reviews

My First Impressions and Comparison to Original Acculine A2

See less See more
#3 ·
I believe they were out of stock and removed from the site temporarily. Craigsub posted some brief comments on the sub with high praises if I recall correctly. You could always ask Jon Lane directly here on the forums or email on TAI.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD /forum/post/11475321

Very interesting loud-speakers for the price. Look's like they use real phase-plugs.

Where is the information regarding their sub-woofers, I can't seem to find it on the web-site?

Jon Lane just posted here about that:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=892824&page=3

Apparently they're just out of stock at the moment.

#6 ·
The Acculine bookshelf speakers look a lot like the Bohlender Z1's (and the tower looks like another model in the Z series), and it sounds like BG is at least making the tweeter. They also all seem to have aluminum midrange drivers. Are they the same speakers, perhaps just made in a different factory?

#7 ·
Jon Lane from The Audio Insider has hinted that they are either the same or very similar in a previous thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11447786

One difference is that the BG-Z series uses the Neo3-PDR Ribbon. According to Jon, the Acculines use the Neo3, which offer a higher sensitivity than the PDR version.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...G#post11453460

I am expecting that these Acculines should have many of the same sound characteristics as the BG-Z speakers. Here's a review of the Z-1 speaker, which should be related to the A1. Might give you an idea of what to expect

http://www.bgcorp.com/uploads/review...897_eprint.pdf

#8 ·
That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

I had read that Stereophile review; he seemed to feel they held up pretty well against the Epos M5's, which I thought was a very good sign. I have those Epos and they're very nice for their class. For $249 these Acculines sound like a screaming bargain. If I didn't have some other new toys on their way I might get a pair just to check them out.

#9 ·
I too have read all the good things regarding this new line. Please post thoughts asap as I would like to get these before they are out of stock. Part of my criteria is not only great sound, but the "bang orthe buck" mentality. If these are as good as initial reports, I'm in!

#10 ·
I follow the same mentality reguy. Just graduating college, I am still paying back student loans, etc... yet I love HiFi audio since I moved on from Computer Speakers about 3 years ago. Getting the most bang/buck and getting great sound is really important to me, which is why I am so enthusiastic about these.

Like most ID vendors, AudioInsider offers you a 30day trial or your money back (minus shipping costs back). My two LCRs should be here next week (hopefully they ship out today), and I will try to post my results and some pictures / comparisons with my Boston Acoustics CR67. By no means am I experienced at reviewing, but I will have subjective opinions on how they sound with a variety of music

#13 ·
I am very, Very, VERY intrested in the A1s.....I notice the Z1s are rear ported so I assume the Acculines will be as well....does that mean I shouldn't mount them close to a wall?

I noticed in the Stereophile review the Z1 was mounted between one and two feet minimum from a wall...do you think I could get away with mounting them 3-4 inchest from a wall, or is that a bad idea?

Also craig/john....do you think the Dana 630s would be a better choice since they are front ported?

How far away from the wall can you mount the Danas?

#14 ·
As far as the port causing an issue when 2-3 inches from the wall, it won't. All speakers will lose some imaging when place close to a wall, ported, sealed ... it does not matter.

The 630's are a nice choice because they are a furniture quality finish. The Ascend 170's, Acculine A1's, Dana 630's and AV123 XLS-EX are all very nice monitors for the $250-$450 range.

#16 ·
Would you gain any more musicality from a 6 and a half inch speaker over a 5 and a quarter speaker in a system with a good sub?

All things equal, wouldnt the smaller driver provide a better midrange if your sub was handling the lower end of the midrange anyway?

#18 ·
As an example of how good the Acculine stuff is sonically, we have a pair of Rocket 850 Sigs with the RSC-200 Center ($2600 retail ... available usually for about $2100) and the Swan 6.2 with the 5.2 center ($1700) in the room, sitting passive.

The $678 Acculine speakers are so good that they are doing a great job as the LCR for our home theater. I have not had one moment of thinking "I should put the XXXX back into the system".

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane /forum/post/11492393

I think I just raised your price, craigsub...

You kidding Jon? For the amount of excellent free publicity he's giving you, you should give him a free set!

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane /forum/post/11492387

Yes, we're also considering onwalls. What's the driver choice/layout consensus there?

Jon, I saw "6.5" satellite" and assumed you meant surround/rear.

I personally eschew flat onwall design -- I prefer more air behind the drivers -- but inwalls seem to be in demand so don't let me disenchant you

The key is to enable a 60Hz global x-o. Folks who have heard surround/rears that would "relaxedly" play down below 60Hz liked the sound -- but mfgrs are caught up in standards that were adopted to enable HTIB.

If, like many of us, you listen to imperfectly mixed soundtracks and/or don't have a lot of distance between surround/rear and listening position, some additional dispersion reduces localization and increases immersiveness.

Dipoles accomplish the dispersion, but the intentional null and the crossover required to implement it exact a sound quality penalty.

A 45-45 degree front ported bipole, each face having a 5.x" woofer and a relatively wide dispersion tweeter, probably has the greatest utility. The enclosure must be front ported. The existing AV123/Swan dipole cabinet, front ported and x-o'd as a bipole, would be very good. Drivers would be the same as the other Acculines.

OTOH, if you made a front ported 6.x" / Neo two-way bookshelf with no baffle step compensation, a minimum impedance of 6 ohms, and a reasonable price, folks could buy a quad of them and make parallel-wired bipoles out of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.