Infinity Alpha 50 owners? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After replacing our Sony HGTV with a newer model I also replaced our Denon AVR with a newer Denon more in-line with the new Sony's capabilities plus i had to replace my right 50's network. Due to a number of factors I had a tech come to setup everything. Following his adivce i choose not to biamp my 50's. He suggested not to biamp my 50's due to the odd shape of our room. Another change from previous setups was we solely relied upon on our Denon's Audyssey MultEQ for audio management. I must admit I prefer Audyssey MultiEQ over the manual sound meter method. The young Tech did a fine job.

We have no plans to ever replace our Alphas.

Just my two cents worth.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Liked: 11
Joined the forum recently whild searching to resolve other issues and thought I might weigh in on this thread as well. My employer used to have an incentive plan that allowed you to accumulate points that could then be used in a catalogue. When they did away with it, we had to use it or lose it. I saw these speakers with really no description of what they were and cashed in my points. That netted me the Alpha 50's and a set of Alpha 20's. After that I started doing some research to find out what I had and discovered they were priced well below their sound quality by many professional reviewers. Well, that made me happy!smile.gif Anyway, I completed the set with a 1200s, 37c, 25es dipoles, and recently found a set of 10's that I am now using as the front high channel. The 10's I bought used, and found the tweeters were damaged. I was lucky to find them since I was using something else for those channels. The price was resonable even with having to replace the tweets. Lots of repair parts still available for Alpha speakers for those who are not aware (FYI). My Onkyo 5008 is in the shop right now, but everybody that has heard these speakers, including a friend who is a professional audio/video guy has nothing but praise for how good they sound. They don't sound as good connected to the temporary reciever I'm using whild the 5008 is in the shop.

I, like many Alpha owners, have no desire to replace them until I absolutlely have to. They are a lot of bang for the buck. If you stumble across any for a decent price, you can't go wrong unless they were abused. From very quiet listening, to levels that will make your ears bleed, they sound crystal clear and clean. I know there is stuff out there that would put these to shame, but they are out of my reach.biggrin.gif Sometimes something shows up on the market that is the deal of the century. It is too bad they aren't still made. A terrific value.

John
49Merc likes this.
post #33 of 38 Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM

INFINITY ALPHA 50'S ROCK!!! I found mine on Craigslist 3 months ago and I simply love them. Got them for $50 and they are immaculate. Ever since I got them I have been researching and reading every little tidbit I could find about them on the interwebs. Everything I have found about them has been positive and I can tell you the same. I turn my nose up at all other speakers, we are in an elite club. Hahahaha! Check out my post "Craigslist Creation" You'd be surprised what you can find out there if you look hard enough. VIVA ALPHA 50'S!
post #34 of 38 Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Glad to see a couple more people have replied. I am listening to my Alpha 50's right now, and they still sound great. It's hard to believe I bought them in '04. Where does the time go? I paid $1000 for the pair back then and while I probably could have waited for a sale, I don't regret it one bit. They have provided me with 9 years of listening pleasure.

I like Ice Cream!
post #35 of 38 Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Could any of you guys tell me what years the Alphas were sold in stores and how much they retailed for?
post #36 of 38 Old 07-04-2013, 04:20 PM

not positive Rotolove but like 2003-06 maybe 07?? not very long. and sold for 765.00 each
post #37 of 38 Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 AM

Liked: 10
Glad to see some fellow Infinity Alpha owners here on AVS. I have 2 50s, 37c, 1200s and 3 25es. I recently upgraded to an Onkyo TX-NR828 and biamped the speakers finally. I haven't had enough time to really test it but I'm sure it will provide at least some benefit. One problem I have is a broken binding post on one of my 50s. I tried to find the part on Harman's website but it says it is out of stock. I have emailed support to see if there can help me at all.

Are the binding posts easy to replace? I would also like to find another 25es but have had no luck even on ebay.

Samsung 65F7100
Onkyo TX-NR828
Infinity Alpha 7.1
PS4 + XBox 360

post #38 of 38 Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayrab View Post

Glad to see some fellow Infinity Alpha owners here on AVS. I have 2 50s, 37c, 1200s and 3 25es. I recently upgraded to an Onkyo TX-NR828 and biamped the speakers finally. I haven't had enough time to really test it but I'm sure it will provide at least some benefit. One problem I have is a broken binding post on one of my 50s. I tried to find the part on Harman's website but it says it is out of stock. I have emailed support to see if there can help me at all.

Are the binding posts easy to replace? I would also like to find another 25es but have had no luck even on ebay.

I faced that same problem a number of times. Although not exactly identical Radio Shack did carry binding posts that could be substituted. Later on I purchashed the complete dual binding post housing assembly from Infinity. You might also google for them.

Good luck and thanks for joining in. Our Infinity Alapha's are still in daily use.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page