Amazing!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just compared my freebie, handed down, 30 year old, Infinity QB speakers, to my new Paradigm Titan V5. I will say that i definitely enjoy the sound of the old Infinitys wayyyy more than the Paradigms. The infinity are so much less bright, or tinny sounding. I thought i had room issues, like not enough carpeting or too many reflective surfaces, etc. Well plugging in these infinitys took away the "room issues". So, why do i like these old infinitys more? Were speakers made better then? Was i expecting too much of my Paradigms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM

titans are a cheaper spectrum of paradigm.

now if they were studio 20s...
post #3 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Infinity, in spite of putting out a number of budget models, does put out some fairly good quality stuff. This was true 30 years ago as well.
post #4 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Some questions...
Are the tweeters in your old speakers broken? Also, the capacitors have most likely lost their electrolyte which would render the crossovers questionable. Most likely, you are used to the sound of the infinity speakers good or bad.

With that said, it sounds like you bought your paradigm titans blind. Why did you go and do that? As you have discovered your ears are the things that decide, so I think that you should have done a more careful job auditioning your speakers prior to the purchase.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I sold the Qa and Qb back in the day. As far as I'm concerned, they were a great tweeter in search of a speaker in which to reside. The Qa was awful...a muddy 10" driver crossing directly to a ribbon tweeter. At least the Qb buffered that mess with a midrange driver.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #6 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Some questions...
Are the tweeters in your old speakers broken? Also, the capacitors have most likely lost their electrolyte which would render the crossovers questionable. Most likely, you are used to the sound of the infinity speakers good or bad.

With that said, it sounds like you bought your paradigm titans blind. Why did you go and do that? As you have discovered your ears are the things that decide, so I think that you should have done a more careful job auditioning your speakers prior to the purchase.

The speakers that sound tinny are new. And yes and did listen to them before i bought them, but definitely not enough! Here in Canada, Paradigms reputation is second to none, so alot of people will just give a quick listen and buy. I think i may have heard the propaganda more than the sound of the speaker i was listening to!
In regards to the muddy bass with the qa, is there some teaking that can be done to the infinity qb to make it sound even better?
thanks
post #7 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

i meant "tweaking"
post #8 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM

I still like the sound of my Infinity RSb, the succesor to the Qb with polypropeline drivers. The Emit was and still is a great tweeter, but I'd say the rest of the sound, while good, is beat by most $1000 speakers today, including my Paradigm Monitor 11.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 PM

ya i agree with paradigm being one of the best up here.... but as the retail shop in my town has the studio 20s at reg price of $1100 when MSRP is $1050, they can go fly a kite... Ill be shopping online for something else.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
With 30 year old speakers, it's a virtual certainty that the crossovers need to be rebuilt. This generally means that the old electrolytic capacitors need to be cut out and replaced with new ones of the same values. Once you do that, you'll find that your old speakers sound different. Why, they might even sound 'brighter'. At the very least they'll sound like what they were intended to when they were new be that better or worse.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #11 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Size matters.

The Infinitys are larger, go deeper, and have a better tweeter, hence less tinny.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I sold the Qa and Qb back in the day. As far as I'm concerned, they were a great tweeter in search of a speaker in which to reside. The Qa was awful...a muddy 10" driver crossing directly to a ribbon tweeter. At least the Qb buffered that mess with a midrange driver.

A good rule of thumb buying Infinity's back then, was to always spend up to the price where they included the EMIT tweeter and the midrange driver

I remember the local Infinity shop would have their speakers lined up from cheaper to most expensive, and you could literally go up the line and as soon as I got to the models with the midrange, that was the sweetspot!
post #13 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I own a pair of the Infinity Quantum III's, and just like the Qa and Qb, they had the Watkins dual voice coil woofer that needed LOTS of current to sound good.

You really need at least 200 wpc of high current power from an amp that is two ohm stable for them to sound their best.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmwpg View Post

The speakers that sound tinny are new

I think he knows that, thats why he asked if something was wrong with your Infinity's tweeters. Are both of them working? Is one or the other blown?

IOWs give it some time. Chances are you're just used to the Infinitys and a little crtitical listening will show that the Paradigms are a superior speaker.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Size matters.

The Infinitys are larger, go deeper, and have a better tweeter, hence less tinny.

? So by that logic do all larger speakers sound "boxy"?
post #16 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

I've never heard the paradigm Titan's (they are the low-end of their lines) but go back and ask to hear the studio 20's or 40's or even the 60's as these are the lines they are known for industry-wide. Probably more than you care to pay right now but at least you'll be able to tell if you do not like the Paradigm brand or if you simply did not like the Titans. At least then you could say "avoid the titan's but I recommend paradigm" or "I listened to a few of their products and simply do not like their sound".

Paradigm is known for being extremely "out of the way" or having very low coloration (adding their own sound). Now not everyone likes them - some like brighter, some like boomy-er and all the unqiue sounds that speakers sound like to make them unique.

Audition everything you can to find the sound you like best.
post #17 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthed View Post

? So by that logic do all larger speakers sound "boxy"?

I think by that logic he actually meant that a better tweeter sounds less harsh/bright.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic_BomB View Post

I think by that logic he actually meant that a better tweeter sounds less harsh/bright.

Sorry, I read his entire post.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Well generally speaking, the larger speakers will produce a deeper sound and be less harsh and tinny anyway wouldn't it? Isn't that the main benefit of larger physical dimentions? Larger ones can push more air around and use physics to their advantage?
post #20 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic_BomB View Post

Well generally speaking, the larger speakers will produce a deeper sound and be less harsh and tinny anyway wouldn't it? Isn't that the main benefit of larger physical dimentions? Larger ones can push more air around and use physics to their advantage?

Subjectively speaking tinny has to do with a speakers upper frequency response. Whether or not a speaker is "full range" should have no bearing on this "quality".

As far as harsh? That has absolutly nothing to do with the speaker's size. Are you saying that a large speaker cannot be harsh?
post #21 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 AM
cjd

The brain behind the ear always prefers sound one is used to rather than sound that is new and different. Also, in my experience lack of low end tends to emphasise the midrange (more "forward" sounding) rather than the top couple octaves.

That said, I find Paradigm unlistenable - excessively harsh on average (I'm aware of having heard Studio 40's as well as one of the Titan line, not sure the rest I've heard). Ear pain. So, Paradigm's tweeter (it's probably the tweeter - could be the mid, but those are usually soft so I'd be surprised to see the issue there) may have a breakup node that hits you in a bad spot or something. They tend to be a little hot but not a lot, but a very big shift in "tone" between mid and tweet commonly. All this is just to say, Paradigm is not for everyone. Buying blind is always a risk.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:14 PM

You're right about the amps... a friend and I owned the Infinity Rsa, Rsb and 1.5 (purchased in the early 80s) and they would blow tweeter fuses when played on Sansui and Yamaha receivers ranging from 65 to 150 W/Ch. My friend and I bought Carver power amplifiers at the same time (not exactly a high current design, but better than a receiver) and in 23 years I never blew another tweeter fuse.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post

The brain behind the ear always prefers sound one is used to rather than sound that is new and different. Also, in my experience lack of low end tends to emphasise the midrange (more "forward" sounding) rather than the top couple octaves.

That said, I find Paradigm unlistenable - excessively harsh on average (I'm aware of having heard Studio 40's as well as one of the Titan line, not sure the rest I've heard). Ear pain. So, Paradigm's tweeter (it's probably the tweeter - could be the mid, but those are usually soft so I'd be surprised to see the issue there) may have a breakup node that hits you in a bad spot or something. They tend to be a little hot but not a lot, but a very big shift in "tone" between mid and tweet commonly. All this is just to say, Paradigm is not for everyone. Buying blind is always a risk.

I agree with you on both counts...
Reply Speakers