$1million if you can tell the difference between Monster Cables & Pear Cable - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #151 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:

Can you explain why magnets soothe certain types of pain?

Can you point to studies that indicate they do?

Quote:

You know what the funny thing is about science? Science can't prove why some people can hear things other people can't. Its not a matter of "since I can't hear it, it must not exist", its simply a matter of "I can't hear it"

It can be used though to determine if the person really heard it. I can think of a number of reasons such as expectation biases, selective auditory focussing, poor room acoustics and where you listen, mood, extent of concentration, health, etc. Don't forget the movie, "A Perfect Mind".

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian View Post

It isn't the role of science to prove anything.

David

You're right, the role of science is to answer why.
post #153 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Can you point to studies that indicate they do?

It can be used though to determine if the person really heard it. I can think of a number of reasons such as expectation biases, selective auditory focussing, poor room acoustics and where you listen, mood, extent of concentration, health, etc. Don't forget the movie, "A Perfect Mind".

Not a study, but a little background. http://www.healingwithmagnets.com/

This is a particular page from the above site where a few sources are cited. http://www.healingwithmagnets.com/l1.htm

The point I was trying to make is that for whatever reason, some people feel better after treatment with magnets. I haven't tried it. Science doesn't support any reasoning behind it. But tell that to the believers that it does help, either through placebo or otherwise. Why piss in somebody's Cheerios?

Smoking pot isn't supposed to help cataracts, ease nausea, or help with pain either. I don't have cataracts but it sure eases a hangover and gets rid of headaches. Now if I could get my Dr to write that presciption..........
post #154 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM

I was distracted and thought you were talking about MAGGOTs...and I was thinking they just ate infection not necessarily reducing pain...unless the pain goes away because the infection is gone.

But I guess that all that old mud hut medicine is meaningless here since we're discussing Magnets.
post #155 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjr View Post

I was distracted and thought you were talking about MAGGOTs...and I was thinking they just ate infection not necessarily reducing pain...unless the pain goes away because the infection is gone.

But I guess that all that old mud hut medicine is meaningless here since we're discussing Magnets.

post #156 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:

You forgot to add "in my opinion". Because thats all it is, your opinion.

The only problem Nuthed is that our opinion is backed by facts!

Quote:

Wait a minute, did you just say "they are constantly testing themselves and disproving their own proofs"?

So forgive me if I don't believe what "they" say now, knowing full well that tomorrow "they" may say something different.

That would be done in the relm of exploration type science like quantum physics or making particles go faster then the speed of light or creating black holes. Very simple things like audio and conductors in the audio relm have been proven law for some time now.

I just finished posting what a $18,000 transparent cable looks like on the inside and Nuthed still missed everything.
post #157 of 159 Old 10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:

The point I was trying to make is that for whatever reason, some people feel better after treatment with magnets. I haven't tried it. Science doesn't support any reasoning behind it. But tell that to the believers that it does help, either through placebo or otherwise. Why piss in somebody's Cheerios?

You can go on PubMed and do a search on magnets and get better references than those now! As to why not use them? Well, let's say the pain is symptomatic of some underlying cause that's not so serious now, but can become serious later. Relying upon magnets or whatever else, even a placebo (fake magnets), can result in more serious consequences. So there's every good reason to piss in their Cheerios. It's quackery. Fake. Hey did you know that Jorge Posada and Alou claim they piss on their hands to toughen them up? How'd you like to shake his hand?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #158 of 159 Old 10-06-2007, 05:24 AM

I dont know how any true audiophile could settle for the cheapo $7250 Pear cables, when you can get a set of Transparent Opus MM cables for a cool $43,000.00. Now that's danceable! To be fair, that is for the 25' version. The 12' part is only $35,000.00.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...air-303825.php
post #159 of 159 Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post

I dont know how any true audiophile could settle for the cheapo $7250 Pear cables, when you can get a set of Transparent Opus MM cables for a cool $43,000.00. Now that's danceable! To be fair, that is for the 25' version. The 12' part is only $35,000.00.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...air-303825.php

Does anyone remember that scene in the movie adaption of the Stephen King book "Christine" when the fat guy craps on Christine's dashboard?

That was a funny scene.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page