post #361 of 1424 Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 PM
CNS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash View Post

Where is the VP150 located? I ahve found the VP150 to sound better above my TV angled slightly down...

So far as the reported issues with the Vp150, it does drop about 1-2 db in my room as do almost all horizontal center channels. The most reported review that pops up is the dialogue is unintelligible off axis and gets garbled a little, I forget which review this was from, I have yet to hear a set up do this.

If you want a great center that won't drop db off axis as much then you need to look for a vertical center, a bookshelf like the M2...

So if the best placement is generally above the screen and oriented down toward the listeners ears....and ideally the tweeter should be at ear level, then where/how would you place a bookshelf if using it for a center?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1424 Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The bookshelf speaker can be located in any position as can a horizontal center speaker, the top mount is not 'the best position', I have just found it to work a little better for a number of people. I know a number of people currently using 2 bookshelf speakers, one above and one below a projection screen, for their HT's and it works very well.

The tweeter at ear level is more a rule of thumb, with an HT center you want a wide dispersion to fill the room and the farther away you can place the speaker the wider the dispersion, usually a top mounted speaker means it is little further away, you do have to angle the speaker to aim the drivers down towards the listening position.

The biggest thing is to experiment to find out what works best in your room.
post #363 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM

I know that I am going to be purchasing axiom speakers and was questioning using a matching M60 as the center channel speaker. good choice or stick with one of Axiom's center channel speakers.
post #364 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Since the center channel carries the bulk of the dialog and other "center" sounds...if you have the room available and can afford another 60...go for it! Otherwise I thing the 150 sounds great!

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #365 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Since the center channel carries the bulk of the dialog and other "center" sounds...if you have the room available and can afford another 60...go for it! Otherwise I thing the 150 sounds great!

...and you can keep it vertical.
post #366 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM

As jaseman and dewd have said that if you can afford one and fit it vertically a matching M60 as a center will sound great. I have an Axiom tower as a center and love it.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #367 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just received my QS8 v2 surround speakers and was wondering what other owners are using as a crossover. I normally would use 80hZ as the standard crossover for surrounds, but this speaker seems smaller than the other speakers I've used as surrounds. Any suggestions as a crossover point for these speakers? Thanks!
post #368 of 1424 Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Where is the VP150 located? I ahve found the VP150 to sound better above my TV angled slightly down and I trust you have the system calibrated.

Well I think the VP150 sounds a lot better now after it's broken in more and recalibrate once more. Although it does still sound a bit "different" than my previous satellite size center, it's almost like there are two sound sources at some angles. Maybe it's due to the dual tweeters?

The only place I have for it in my current setup is below my TV. I think I have noticed that it does sound a little better when I'm on the floor instead of sitting on the couch also, but I don't really have a place to put it higher.

I am happy with how the speakers sound for the price. I have hardwood floor, so even at low volume, the sound fills the room. The dialogues from movies are clear. The music sound great from the M60s. I think I can cut up the shipping boxes for recycle now.
post #369 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

I just received my QS8 v2 surround speakers and was wondering what other owners are using as a crossover. I normally would use 80hZ as the standard crossover for surrounds, but this speaker seems smaller than the other speakers I've used as surrounds. Any suggestions as a crossover point for these speakers? Thanks!

80 hz works great for the QS8's, even Audyysey sets mine to 60-80 depending on the placement in my room. I have tried mine with a 100hz crossover but I feel they sound better with 80hz.
post #370 of 1424 Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:

80 hz works great for the QS8's, even Audyysey sets mine to 60-80 depending on the placement in my room. I have tried mine with a 100hz crossover but I feel they sound better with 80hz.

I've had the same experience as jakewash and also thought that 80hz sounds best.

post #371 of 1424 Old 11-08-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!

I was going to go with a 100Hz crossover because of the small size of the QS8's but after playing it for a couple of days, I sense that you two are both correct and I appreciate your comments. Thank you!!
post #372 of 1424 Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 PM

I'm looking for some input here if anyone is willing to answer. I am looking at upgrading my speaker setup. I currently have an all Infinity system. I am looking at getting a better center channel and upgrading my rear speakers. I only have a 5.1 system. I do not have room on the sides to do side surrounds. I am looking at either Axiom or Aperion. I am looking at the VP150 and a pair of QS8's. The alternative is a center channel from Aperion ond a pair of dipole/bipole surrounds. Does anyone have any comments on placement or setup. I am also using a Boston Acoustics 1000 Watt sub so lo level base is not a huge concern. Thanks.
post #373 of 1424 Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiesel1 View Post

I'm looking for some input here if anyone is willing to answer. I am looking at upgrading my speaker setup. I currently have an all Infinity system. I am looking at getting a better center channel and upgrading my rear speakers. I only have a 5.1 system. I do not have room on the sides to do side surrounds. I am looking at either Axiom or Aperion. I am looking at the VP150 and a pair of QS8's. The alternative is a center channel from Aperion ond a pair of dipole/bipole surrounds. Does anyone have any comments on placement or setup. I am also using a Boston Acoustics 1000 Watt sub so lo level base is not a huge concern. Thanks.

Don't mix and match centers with mains. They need to be timbre matched. Best way to ensure this is to use speakers designed to work together from the same manufacturer. Either stay with your Infinities or get all Axiom.

Also, the surrounds should be on the sides for 5.1. For 7.1, the extra speakers are placed in the back. If you cannot do this, then placing them behind you will work, but it is not the best. The QS8's will help since they are so unique.

Is there a reason you need to upgrade the center?
post #374 of 1424 Old 11-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

The QS8's can give you great surround coverage even with a placement behind you for a 5.1 system.

I agree with dewd, at least try to keep the front 3 from the same manufacturer in hopes of keeping them timbre matched, unless of course you do not care aboutt he sound being slightly off from the L/C/R.

I will guess you want a better center speaker because you are having a hard time hearing dialogue, first off is the sytem properly calibrated? If so then try bumping the center channel speaker level up a few more db, many of us run the center hotter than the front mains to help with this issue.
post #375 of 1424 Old 11-14-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate to post this right after you guys recommend NOT using multiple manufacturers for fronts, but I have no choice.

I have a set of Eosone RSF-600 towers up front, and some Eosone satellite rear speakers and an Eosone sub. I bought all of this while working at Best Buy in high school. Unfortunately I was unable to buy a matching center before they were discontinued. I have been using a Def Tech C1 center for the past several years though.

Earlier this year we purchased a new TV and entertainment center. Which of course means that my Def Tech center no longer fits. So I need a new center and am tired of running a 4.1 setup. I had originally planned to go with a Def Tech Pro Center 1000 or 2000 since the C1 seemed to match decently with my Eosones. But I have always had my eye on some Axioms. Eventually, you know down the road when the kids move out , I plan to purchase a new complete set of speakers, but until then I just need to "fill the gap". The VP100 seems to fit my space and at a decent price point. Anyone with any experience using an Axiom center with say, some Polk (very similar to my Eosones) or Def Tech fronts?

Oh yeah I will be using a Denon (AVR-3802) as the receiver which seems to be a popular choice for the Axioms.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #376 of 1424 Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

If you are just looking at the VP100 buy it try it out and let us know your thoughts it only costs about $20 to ship it back to Axiom if you do not like it. I will say I find my Axioms to be cleaner/clearer sounding than most of the Polk line up.
post #377 of 1424 Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I got all set to finally mount my QS8 surrounds today, but after checking the boxes for the brackets and screws, I only found the brackets. No screws. Bummer! Can anyone who owns these speakers maybe give me an idea of what type of screw I could purchase locally at Lowes or Home Depot? I know Axiom would probably send me the screws overnight, but Saturday is my only day off until Thanksgiving.
post #378 of 1424 Old 11-22-2008, 11:34 AM

You don't get screws with the QS8 brackets. Axiom would have no idea what each purchaser needs since we all have different walls. I suggest you take the bracket to the hardware store and explain what you are doing. Tell them what kind of wall you have.

Make sure you put a least a few of the center screws in a stud or a very heavy wall.
post #379 of 1424 Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM

I'm looking for advice on how to sequence my purchases of speakers. I am finally moving from an old stereo system into the HT world. I recently got a new receiver (Denon 3808ci) but I'm still using my stereo speakers. I have ordered my Axiom VP150 center channel speaker and looking forward to hearing clearer dialog. I will only be buying one speaker component (or pair) at a time so my question is which should I get next. My goal is to eventually get to the full 5.1 setup so I will eventually be buying the EP500 subwoofer, M80 fronts, and QS8 surrounds in three separate purchases over the next year or so as I save up for each purchase. It would be great to buy everything at once but that isn't going to happen.

My thinking at this point is to get them in this order 1) EP500 sub, 2) QS8 surrounds, 3) M80 fronts. That way I go from 3.0 -> 3.1 -> 5.1 -> better 5.1. However, I see lots of reasons for buying these in other sequences (e.g. using my old stereo speakers as surrounds). Does anyone think the LFE channel is less important than the surrounds? What do other people think, and why?

Thanks!
post #380 of 1424 Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Dave, what are you using presently for mains? I would suggest gett ing the M80s next just to achieve a terrific blend across the front soundstage, mismatched speakers up front would drive me crazy with tonal changes during pans etc. Also the M80s are great for 2 channel music listening. Next I would get the EP500 to really feel some impact with HT and then the QS8s to envelop you in surround sound. I think the sub is the most important part of a HT system but a fully matched set of front speakers are a must to allow full enjoyment of a system for music playback as well.
post #381 of 1424 Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM

I second jakewash's suggestion that you get the M80s to go with the VP150 next. Then as you suggest you can move your current mains back to use temporarily as surrounds. Next get the EP500 and finally the QS8s. I think you will notice more overall improvement at each step by following this route.

post #382 of 1424 Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Thanks jakewash and grunt11 for the recommendation. It makes perfectly logical technical sense. My current main speakers are JVCs from 25 years ago when I got them along with a JVC stereo setup. They're the classic 80's era 8-ohm boxes (non-tower) with a 12" sub, 6.5" mid, and 1" tweeter. I can't remember the model number but they served the need at the time.

I'm not an audiophile but I'm looking to get reasonably good, clean, accurate sound and I'm expecting that from the Axioms. Since I'm not used to having a center channel, do you think the tonal inbalance between the mains and the center will be intolerable? I'm wondering if it's like other things in life - you don't know what you're missing unless you had something and then it's taken away. In my case, I haven't had the center channel until now (or soon ). Another consideration I have is the WAF issue. I'm trying to "sneak" speakers into the room decor that didn't exist before. While the old box speakers fade into the decor somewhat, you can't do that with the M80's. I was thinking it might be easier to place the EP500 in the room without significantly rearranging the furniture. And, or course, the price of the M80's is a consideration. It will take longer to save up for those especially since I'm going with the VaSSallo series. The VaSSallo option on the Axioms is a huge plus on the WAF but it does add a 35% premium to the M80's. Obviously, I think it's worth it since you can get exactly the kind of finish that you want.
post #383 of 1424 Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Based on your description I think your center will sound very different than your present mains but only you will know if it bothers you. I know it would drive me crazy but for you the newness of having detailed sound and the ability to really hear what's coming from the center may overcome any differences. You may not really notice that you had a problem until you upgrade your mains and hear the difference.

By all means if you can live with any tonal differences between your mains and center then upgrade the subwoofer next. It will certainly give you more movie theater impact than anything else. Then get the M80s and move your old speakers to surround duties until you can get the QS8s.

Not to muddy the waters since you seem to have already selected the speakers you want, but if you haven't yet you might consider going with M22 speakers as your mains. I have both M22s and M80s plus the EP500 and find very little difference between the M22s + EP500 and the M80s + EP500. M22s would certainly cost less and my have a better WAF. Just a thought since after doing extensive listening to both the M22 and M80s paired with the EP500 I believe most people, with a few exceptions, would be better served by the M22s than the M80s.

post #384 of 1424 Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

I have friend that bought the VP 100 and runs it with some 20 yr old Cerwin Vegas, he loves the extra clarity that it gave to his movie dialogue, his wife no longer complains that she can not hear the actors voices.

I 'll second Grunt11's suggestion of going to M22s, especially if you are trying to keep the speaker size down. Unless you are trying to fill a large room the M22+EP500 gives up very little to the M80s+sub. I too have M22s and M80s and I am one that finds the slightly fuller sound of the M80 to be better and noticeable than the M22 + sub, but until you have experienced M22 +sub and then do A/B comparisons the differences are hard to find.
post #385 of 1424 Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Hi folks,I've been racking my brain the last few weeks deciding on speakers.I've had Paradigm Monitor 7's,CC350 the last few years and have been looking for the 'higher end sound' on a budget.I've listened to the Paradigm Studio 60's,CC590(like them but can't afford new),Monitor Audio RS6's&LCR(also nice but LCR is $700.) and some B&W's.I decided to order the M60's and the VP150 to try.Right away I noticed the clarity difference over the Monitor 7's and an added presence to the sound.The more I listen to them the more things I notice.The Dave Matthews&Tim Reynolds bluray sounds amazing,every strum and pluck of the guitar strings is crystal clear.My 30 days aren't up yet but can't see replacing this quality of sound for similar money.Ideally I would love to audition the M60's,RS6's&Studio 60's side by side but that may be to hard to arrange but I'm going to try.Anyone else go through this similar hard but fun decision?
post #386 of 1424 Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I have friend that bought the VP 100 and runs it with some 20 yr old Cerwin Vegas, he loves the extra clarity that it gave to his movie dialogue, his wife no longer complains that she can not hear the actors voices.

I 'll second Grunt11's suggestion of going to M22s, especially if you are trying to keep the speaker size down. Unless you are trying to fill a large room the M22+EP500 gives up very little to the M80s+sub. I too have M22s and M80s and I am one that finds the slightly fuller sound of the M80 to be better and noticeable than the M22 + sub, but until you have experienced M22 +sub and then do A/B comparisons the differences are hard to find.

Thanks Grunt11 and jakewash. I appreciate your comments and value your experiences with these Axiom speakers. When I started looking for new speakers at the beginning of this year I had settled on the M22s. From all I read, they offered great sound for a reasonable price in a medium size package. I say "medium size" because they are not your typical sized bookshelf speakers being nearly 20 inches tall. But after considering them for a long while, there were two things that made me migrate to the M80s over the M22s.

One of the things that allowed me to consider the M80s is that I figured the M22s would need to be mounted on stands in order to raise them to ear level. It seems to me that putting them on stands defeats the M22s' size advantage and the hope of blending them into the room decor. The second was the size of my room where the speakers are going into. The room is over 6000 cubic feet including the vaulted ceiling. I figure I need to get as many square inches of speakers as I can afford. Based on comments on this forum and other places, my expectation all along has been that even a non-audiophile like me would hear the difference between the M80s and M22s - especially in a large room. It also might be a while before I save enough for the EP500 so the M80's extended lower frequency is a big plus.

So I agree with your suggestions that my next Axiom purchase should be the main front speakers and then use my old speakers as surrounds for the time being. Got to keep saving those pennies...
post #387 of 1424 Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

Hi folks,I've been racking my brain the last few weeks deciding on speakers.I've had Paradigm Monitor 7's,CC350 the last few years and have been looking for the 'higher end sound' on a budget.I've listened to the Paradigm Studio 60's,CC590(like them but can't afford new),Monitor Audio RS6's&LCR(also nice but LCR is $700.) and some B&W's.I decided to order the M60's and the VP150 to try.Right away I noticed the clarity difference over the Monitor 7's and an added presence to the sound.The more I listen to them the more things I notice.The Dave Matthews&Tim Reynolds bluray sounds amazing,every strum and pluck of the guitar strings is crystal clear.My 30 days aren't up yet but can't see replacing this quality of sound for similar money.Ideally I would love to audition the M60's,RS6's&Studio 60's side by side but that may be to hard to arrange but I'm going to try.Anyone else go through this similar hard but fun decision?

I spent a few months this summer doing the same thing. I decided on the B&W 683's (and matching center and surrounds) but I wanted to try Axiom. I ordered M60's, VP150, and 4 QS8's for a 30 day trial. We are now at day 150

I still think I liked the 683's a little better, but not $1000 better. Plus the salesman got a real attitude when I told him what I was comparing. He didn't have much to say about the Polks or the Focals, but mention internet direct brand like Axiom or SVS, he suddenly had lots to say. Besides the cost savings, his negative reaction was enough to convince me I needed to try Axiom.

So we are at day 150 with my Axioms and my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 and I'm still smiling. Let us know when you get to day 150
post #388 of 1424 Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Funny you mention that,because my salesman also got a little defensive when I mentioned the Axiom's.By the way my Axiom's are powered by an Emotiva LPA1 amp also bought on line for $500.Don't recall any amps in my local store in that price range.
post #389 of 1424 Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Actually, when I was shopping around, the local "hi-fi" store guy went ballistic when I mentioned that I was looking at Axioms. It was pretty damn funny actually!

Thanks,
Hansang
post #390 of 1424 Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM

I have 3,000 cubic feet in my h/t I am building. 15Wx20Lx10h

I am 65% music and 35% movies. Can I create a problem by over doing it? I am thinking about the Epic 80 600 package, but it seems to talk about being for much more cubic space than what I have. Or should I just do the epic 80 350 package?

Also one side note: I may consider trying to save space and go with in wall mounted speakers for my two sides and two rears. I really do not want to give up much quality for the luxury of a better look. Will axioms high end in walls perform as well as the qs8 for example?

Tia
Reply Speakers

Tags
Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page