Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw View Post

Thanks Dean.
You have cleared my mind.
I always felt that the bass from the M60 are not tight & punchy enough and thought an extra power amp would help that.
I think I will skip the amp and save up for a better sub then.

How are you enjoying your purchases other than the above? Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1424 Old 09-12-2009, 04:30 PM

If you haven't already there are a couple things you could try that might help your bass response besides a new subwoofer and/or amp.

Try repositioning your speakers and/or your seating. Near wall and corner placement can play havoc with your bass as can certain combinations of speaker and seating locations. Here is just one article there are many more that you might find more helpful for your situation.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...placement.html

Even if you can't move and leave your speakers and/or seating in new positions you should at least try experimenting some. It's very possible that your room's acoustics are playing a big role in how you are perceiving the bass. If you find that the bass improves by moving your speakers or seats around then this may help solve our problem.

Even if you can't leave things in the new positions you could now look at adding some bass traps to help balance out the bass in your room. There are some good DIY articles and threads out there on making your own bass traps.

As you've already figured out a sub could help by allowing you to place it for best bass response while still leaving your mains where soundstage or aesthetics require you place them.

I'm not a big fan of amps making a huge difference in speaker sound but bass response is one place I've heard a difference. If you know someone with a separate amp you can borrow you might want to try it out before spending a bunch of money. Or at least make sure to get one with the option to return it.

However, before spending any money I think your best bet is to play with your speakers/seating positions to determine what if any effect your room is having on what you're hearing. I say this because, of the complaints I've heard about Axiom M80s and M60s lacking tight bass is not one of them.

Cheers,
Dean

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #543 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
can an Axiom owner please give me a quick answer? I am helping a friend buy some speakers and I saw a good deal on some M60 V1, can someone tell me if there is a significant difference btwn V1 and V2 and if there is anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

(BTW -- I will start reading the owner's thread for some background but if anyone could fill me in on the M60 V1 in the meantime, it would be much appreciated )

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #544 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM

IT is my understanding (from Alan on the Axiom boards) that there isn't a significant difference between V1 and V2. Axiom tweaked the crossoevers. The drivers and cabinet are the same. If the price is right I would not hesitate to buy them.

post #545 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks dewd

I was googling "Axiom M60 V1" and couldn't find much -- are the "M60Ti" versions the first version (e.g. the ones in this review)?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #546 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

can an Axiom owner please give me a quick answer? I am helping a friend buy some speakers and I saw a good deal on some M60 V1, can someone tell me if there is a significant difference btwn V1 and V2 and if there is anything I should be concerned about? Thanks!

(BTW -- I will start reading the owner's thread for some background but if anyone could fill me in on the M60 V1 in the meantime, it would be much appreciated )

The changes from the “ti” to the “v2” designations resulted from an accumulation of incremental changes that happened over time causing Axiom to finally re-designate them. Most of these are acoustically transparent like changing binding posts and grill mounts. However, a few speakers like the M80 and I believe the M60 had their crossovers tweaked slightly to get a flatter frequency response.

AFAIR the differences are considered minor but did result in a “slight statistically significant” preference for the newer crossover in double-blind testing. Also AFAIR these changes were implemented in the “on-going production” of each changed speaker and did not trigger the re-designation. I believe the changes to the crossover probably happened around 2003-2004 timeframe according to the posts by Alan Lofft in this thread:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubb...rue#Post159360

So I don’t think the model designation determines if it has the newer crossover but rather the year the speakers was made. My suggestion is to shoot Axiom an email and they can tell you for sure if and when any crossover changes were made during the “ti” production.

There are still some M60ti reviews out there.

Sorry I can’t be more specific.
Cheers,
Dean

P.S.

Quote:

I was googling "Axiom M60 V1" and couldn't find much -- are the "M60Ti" versions the first version (e.g. the ones in this review)?

AFAIK the “ti” preceded the “v2” again your best response will come directly from Axiom.

post #547 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry I can’t be more specific.

I would say you did just fine

thanks so much and that was very very helpful. What would you consider a fair used price for a pair of M60Ti?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #548 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 12:30 PM

I just googled this for the Sandiego area if your friend lives near you:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/1387732240.html

So I’d say in this case $200 would be the going rate if theses are still available. I might go as high as 40% retail but in any case I’d want to hear them working before paying any price unless the seller has a good reputation.

If there is any remaining warranty it won’t transfer and if your friend doesn’t end up liking them selling them is the only option.

post #549 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM

!
I was researching the same thing because I committed myself to buying them already (in san diego) - I am leaving as we speak, just trying to save time for those of you oggling the ad - dibs!

not trying to be a jerk - just think it's funny I ran into this thread
post #550 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well if you get them first, enjoy them sir!

looks like a pretty great deal, not sure if you can find better sound for $200/pr. congrats and come back with your review when you buy them!

(and yes grunt, those were the ones I was looking at )

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #551 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Hello Axiom Owners, Wanted to ask you all if their is a glaring sound difference between the M2ti's and M2V2? I cant find any info on the M2ti's. thanks for any help.
post #552 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

well if you get them first, enjoy them sir!

looks like a pretty great deal, not sure if you can find better sound for $200/pr. congrats and come back with your review when you buy them!

(and yes grunt, those were the ones I was looking at )

Boy I hope he really had already been looking at them and I didn't ruin that for you. FWIW if I found a pair of them locally for that price I would also have bought them and I already own 2 M22s and 3 M80s.

Sorry if I screwed you.
Dean

post #553 of 1424 Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokeherdfan View Post

Hello Axiom Owners, Wanted to ask you all if their is a glaring sound difference between the M2ti's and M2V2? I cant find any info on the M2ti's. thanks for any help.

AFAIR there were no sonic changes made to the M22ti or the M2ti when they were re-designated. Cosmetic and utility changes only. If I'm wrong then it's as Randy said in the Axiom forum and it would only have been a minor tweak to further flatten the frequency response.

post #554 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 06:33 AM

Hello All, help me decide on my purchase here. The room is a theater room 18'X11.5'. First row of seating is 10' from speakers and screen. I have ordered vp100 center channel and bic h-100 500-Watt sub. what Axiom speaker do you go with for left and rights? M2, M3, or M22..

Thanks for any help.
post #555 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speaking for myself, if it would fit your budget, I'd go with the M22s. However, any of the 3 you've mentioned would work. By the way, I had my Axioms in a room the same exact size as yours (wth an 8' ceiling).

Jack

post #556 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 AM

I agree with the M22 recommendation. Given the choice, always go with the better speakers. Unlike other parts of you setup, speakers tend to last a very long time. Plus, you never know when you will want to use it in a bigger room.

BTW - I have M60's in a similar size room. Probably overkill, but I can always entertain the neighbors if I feel like it.

post #557 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

Boy I hope he really had already been looking at them and I didn't ruin that for you. FWIW if I found a pair of them locally for that price I would also have bought them and I already own 2 M22s and 3 M80s.

Sorry if I screwed you.

nah, I had already contacted the seller before I posted here (I knew it was a great deal, the only concern I had was V1 vs V2) and there was already somebody in line in front of me, which I assume was the guy who posted. So it wasn't your fault, I had already made contact before you ever posted that link

The ad is gone so looks like the other guy bought them, too bad as $200 sure seemed like a killer deal!

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #558 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Hello All, help me decide on my purchase here. The room is a theater room 18'X11.5'. First row of seating is 10' from speakers and screen. I have ordered vp100 center channel and bic h-100 500-Watt sub. what Axiom speaker do you go with for left and rights? M2, M3, or M22..

Thanks for any help.

I also suggest the M22s. Presently I own both M22s and M80s and have them set up in a 21x13x8-12 vaulted room. When using a sub the M22s and M80s sound almost identical w/ the M22s being perhaps a little less in-your-face. Price for performance it's my opinion the M22 is Axioms best speaker.

Cheers,
Dean

post #559 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

You all are awesom thanks for all the advice. I went with the M3's. I didnt get back to see your alls comments until after I ordered. My set up will be the two M3's a Vp100 center the Bic h-100 and two rear's. You all have made an impression on me. This has been my first introduction to the world of speakers outside of Best buy, circuit city, sears etc. Thank you all, I cant wait to hear my new setup do in end of next week.

Ps. I prewired the room for speakers with 12gauge wire and just realized ill need a coaxial cable for the sub. My bad, live and learn.. just oredered one from monoprice with fancy hookups, what ever that is.
post #560 of 1424 Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:

You all are awesom thanks for all the advice. I went with the M3's. I didnt get back to see your alls comments until after I ordered. My set up will be the two M3's a Vp100 center the Bic h-100 and two rear's. You all have made an impression on me. This has been my first introduction to the world of speakers outside of Best buy, circuit city, sears etc. Thank you all, I cant wait to hear my new setup do in end of next week.

Ps. I prewired the room for speakers with 12gauge wire and just realized ill need a coaxial cable for the sub. My bad, live and learn.. just oredered one from monoprice with fancy hookups, what ever that is.

Don't forget to review and comment on your speakers when they arrive!!! We're here to help.

Andrew
post #561 of 1424 Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Liked: 13
Is there any difference using Spikes or rubber feet on M60s? Mine currently uses rubber feet since they are on hardwood floor. I was wondering if a granite slat with spikes would make any differences at all.
post #562 of 1424 Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 AM

I recently removed the spikes and put the rubber feet on. My room is carpeted, so my original thought was to 'couple' the speaker to the floor. I now realize the floor does not make a good speaker. My goal now is to decouple it. I realized this after I put a couple Grammas under my sub. Removing the spikes removed the last unwanted vibrations.

post #563 of 1424 Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm going to start pouring through the 20 pages of posts, but I thought I'd post as well.

I just 'discovered' the Axiom speakers on this site. I've been looking into a 5.1 system for a media room I'm building. The room is 15'8" by 20'3" rectangle. I have previously been looking at a JBL system built around their L890 towers or a Polk Audio system built around RTi A7's. Both can be had for around $2500 with a 5.1 setup (cheaper if I go Ebay route for refurbs).

The Axiom site is maddeningly slow right now, so I'm having a hard time shopping, but I looked a bit at their M60 line.

I like the in-home audition idea, but return shipping is not cheap for a full 5.1 system. I live a good bit away from any major cities, so I'm having a hard time listening to any speakers beyond what our Best Buy has (no Magnolia setup here).

Any of you guys been able to compare these?

EDIT: also, any of you guys using the in-cabinet versions of the M60 or M80? The website says "no compromise" and this would fit the bill exactly for what I'm looking for.

post #564 of 1424 Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

AFAIR there were no sonic changes made to the M22ti or the M2ti when they were re-designated. Cosmetic and utility changes only. If I'm wrong then it's as Randy said in the Axiom forum and it would only have been a minor tweak to further flatten the frequency response.

In my own experience with my M22ti's and a pair of M22vs, I found my ti's to have better top end, more detail than the v2's. The v2's were softer/smoother sounding. I am sure had I not had the opportunity to do an A/B omparison I never would been able to tell there was any difference at all.
post #565 of 1424 Old 10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

I'm going to start pouring through the 20 pages of posts, but I thought I'd post as well.

I just 'discovered' the Axiom speakers on this site. I've been looking into a 5.1 system for a media room I'm building. The room is 15'8" by 20'3" rectangle. I have previously been looking at a JBL system built around their L890 towers or a Polk Audio system built around RTi A7's. Both can be had for around $2500 with a 5.1 setup (cheaper if I go Ebay route for refurbs).

The Axiom site is maddeningly slow right now, so I'm having a hard time shopping, but I looked a bit at their M60 line.

I like the in-home audition idea, but return shipping is not cheap for a full 5.1 system. I live a good bit away from any major cities, so I'm having a hard time listening to any speakers beyond what our Best Buy has (no Magnolia setup here).

Any of you guys been able to compare these?

EDIT: also, any of you guys using the in-cabinet versions of the M60 or M80? The website says "no compromise" and this would fit the bill exactly for what I'm looking for.

To ease the cost of return shipping should you not like the M60s, simply order only the M60s, if you lke these then try the center of your choice and so on. As long as you make your purchases within the 30 day trial from start to finish, Axiom will still honor the 5% HT discount on all speakers purchased, if you ask them. The cost to return only the M60s is about $50. Well worth that cost to hear a speaker in your own house.
post #566 of 1424 Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think I like that idea, I'm eyeing an Onkyo reciever over at newegg currently, I need to obtain that first. The room isn't finished yet (and may not be for a while) so I probably should wait so I can be sure they sound good in that room with that setup.

post #567 of 1424 Old 10-20-2009, 05:24 PM

I already put this to Axiom in an email but submit it everyone here who can help. Looking to build up a system from what is currently 2 Bose Lifestyle speakers with a passive sub (they were a freebie) as L/R and what I think is the center channel from a Sony HTIB that I found at goodwill for $3. The rears are the cube speakers form a Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 PC surround sound system that is 9 years old. So pretty much anything is an upgrade. I got a gift certificate from work to Axiom and am looking to get either l/r/c or less to build the right system. I am looking at buying a real sub later on when I have the funds.

My room is currently 12w x 30l x 7h with the TV facing the couch at one end across the 12 foot width of the room so I sit about 9 feet from the TV. Tile floors. Accoustically lousy but renovating is a future project somewhere on the distant horizon. Would 2 M2v2's and a VP100 be sufficient for this space? I works out to 2500+ cf of space but I am at one end of it, less than 10 feet from the TV. I have done a bunch of reading and googling and it sound like the M2's should work but I might be better off with the M22. That would bust the budget a bit and put off a center and sub for even longer. This is purely for movies and games. Also, I usually have trouble picking out voices form background noise in the real world and remember parts of the LOTR trilogy being difficult to understand. Would moving to the VP150 help in anyway or is the VP100 similar enough in clarity to not make it worth it? All of this is connected to a Pioneer VSX-517. Sorry for the long post but I am dreading buyers remorse.
post #568 of 1424 Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM

I suggest starting with 2 M22's and skipping the center for now. Later, when funds are available, add a VP100 (or 150) and then save for the sub.

The M22's will play deeper while you are without a sub. The center is important, but do not mix and match speakers - results will not be good (as you know from your current setup). Just play in stereo (or phantom center) until you get a real center.

post #569 of 1424 Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM

I was afraid someone would say that. If it is worth noting, I don't intend to crank this up too often. The wife wont go for that so I am looking to have good sound at normal/lower volumes. Part of the reason I am planning on spending more than I had originally intended on the sub. I am not looking for a huge boom so much as really solid bass at reasonable levels. Perhaps I ask too much.

At this point I think I am probably sold on the M22s unless someone can make an argument for me to go with the M2...

For more instant gratification I wonder if I would be happier putting the money towards the M22s or the VP150 as I suspect it will be several months before I can upgrade the other and even longer until I can bust out money for the sub.
post #570 of 1424 Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM

You should not mix the center with your old mains. It will still sound bad. The front soundstage must be 'timbre matched' (sound the same).

Also, quality bass is bass that blends with the mains and is heard only when it is supposed to be heard. Cheap bass is 'boomy' or 'loud'. It takes alot of effort to make quality bass. That's why a good sub costs so much more than the rest of the speakers.

BTW - You will be surprised how loud you can make a good system compared to a bad one. Watching a movie near reference (85db with peaks of 105-115 db) is really not that loud when great gear (PROPERLY CALIBRATED GREAT GEAR) is used. You may find you actually like "cranking it up a bit"

Reply Speakers

Tags
Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page