Official Axiom Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1424 Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question.

I bought three M22 in-wall speakers from Axiom. These are the speakers that physically go into the wall, and are not mounted on the wall. They worked great for a week or two, until one of the speakers started making a buzzing sound. I told Axiom, and they said that based on my receiver and all the other information I gave them, that it was definitely a problem from the speaker. The buzzing was coming from the bottom port, so they sent me another port to replace it.

Meanwhile, another one of the speakers starts buzzing. Again, from the bottom port. During this time, the new port arrives so I replace one of them and the problem has been fixed. A few days later, the third speaker started making a buzzing sound. So, at this point, all three original speakers have started buzzing. Two of them made the buzzing sound from the bottom ports, while the third speaker is buzzing from the first port.

Does anybody have any ideas? I highly doubt three speakers had a manufacturer defect, so I'm thinking it's a problem within my setup. However, I did replace one of the ports with the new port they sent me, and it has solved them problem -- so far. I don't know if it'll go out, but it looks to be fine since. I want to replace these speakers with on-walls and put the speakers to the side instead of behind the screen. Is there a way of checking if the problem is electrical, or is it definitely a speaker problem?

I don't know if it matters but I'm using a Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH. The room is roughly 11'x16'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1424 Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM

The screws on the drivers may be loose causing the port to buzz, I would check that they are tight?
post #633 of 1424 Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM

I just check it out, but it appears fine. The buzzing is definitely coming within the port. It's from the vibration, which gives off that "bzzzz" sound. I wish I could put it in better terms, but I'm going to assume you guys all understand what I mean. I just don't believe that all three speakers would be defect, but then again Axiom told me it's definitely not my problem, and that's from the speakers.
post #634 of 1424 Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM

for those of you interested.
i have 3 of them as lcr's
LL
post #635 of 1424 Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenlovesmary View Post

I just check it out, but it appears fine. The buzzing is definitely coming within the port. It's from the vibration, which gives off that "bzzzz" sound. I wish I could put it in better terms, but I'm going to assume you guys all understand what I mean. I just don't believe that all three speakers would be defect, but then again Axiom told me it's definitely not my problem, and that's from the speakers.

If you press on the speaker cabinet and can not remove the "bzzz" vibration, it is likely a bad batch of drivers where the cone is seperating from the basket and cause the buzzing.

The driver that you replaced doesn't have the buzz now correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmml View Post

i have 3 of them as lcr's

That's kinda crazy.How do they sound, you have hooked them up in series?
post #636 of 1424 Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 PM

When I press on the driver, I feel like it SLIGHTLY takes away the buzzing sound, but it is definitely still there.

The driver I replaced fixed the problem on the speaker, yes. BUT, these speakers took a week or two to develop this problem, so while it did solve the problem, I'm not sure if it's completely fixed for good. I have a strong feeling the buzzing on that speaker will come back.
post #637 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:

When I press on the driver, I feel like it SLIGHTLY takes away the buzzing sound, but it is definitely still there.

The driver I replaced fixed the problem on the speaker, yes. BUT, these speakers took a week or two to develop this problem, so while it did solve the problem, I'm not sure if it's completely fixed for good. I have a strong feeling the buzzing on that speaker will come back.

If the buzz follows the driver when you remove it from the cabinet and screw it into the another speaker or position then you know the problem is from the driver itself, if it goes away it was making vibration from the contact being loose. If the driver went bad Axiom should replace them.
post #638 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemet View Post

If you press on the speaker cabinet and can not remove the "bzzz" vibration, it is likely a bad batch of drivers where the cone is seperating from the basket and cause the buzzing.

The driver that you replaced doesn't have the buzz now correct?

That's kinda crazy.How do they sound, you have hooked them up in series?

some lobing, but when seated fine. very full, sounds great behind an at screen.
have them in parrallel to a yamaha receiver, it shuts down only at extrem volumes, very efficient speakers, i've powered them with an abus keypad in series and it wasnt to bad as well...
post #639 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay7 View Post

Replaced them with AV123 850's and Bigfoot.

Jay, I am curious as how the Axiom's compare to AV123's. I would love to hear your thoughts about them.
post #640 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemet View Post

If the buzz follows the driver when you remove it from the cabinet and screw it into the another speaker or position then you know the problem is from the driver itself, if it goes away it was making vibration from the contact being loose. If the driver went bad Axiom should replace them.

The problem is from the driver, but three speakers had a problem. So I'm a little sketpical because how could 3/3 speakers have a bad driver?
post #641 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac180 View Post

Jay, I am curious as how the Axiom's compare to AV123's. I would love to hear your thoughts about them.

Really more so replaced them because I did not care specifically for Axiom's center channel. The Bigfoot is so much better. As for the 850's vs. M60's, to me there is some difference (Axioms have more detailed highs and 850's do better midbass at least my opinion). I like both in different ways.
post #642 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Really more so replaced them because I did not care specifically for Axiom's center channel. The Bigfoot is so much better. As for the 850's vs. M60's, to me there is some difference (Axioms have more detailed highs and 850's do better midbass at least my opinion). I like both in different ways.

Thanks for the reply.
post #643 of 1424 Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:

The problem is from the driver, but three speakers had a problem. So I'm a little sketpical because how could 3/3 speakers have a bad driver?

Does the buzz only happen around a particular frequency or over all frequencies? It may be a bad batch of drivers as they were all built around the same time?

Were you playing loud heavy bass tracks without a subwoofer, that may cause clipping in the receiver that caused the drivers to go bad.
post #644 of 1424 Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the reply.

My subwoofer has always been on. It gets more noticeable as I turn the volume up, but it's there.
post #645 of 1424 Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Bump to get these sold. I realize there are few in this thread looking at M60's now.

Just an update: I bought the vp150 off of Jay. Got it quick, works great. My M22's are supposed to arrive Monday. If the VP150 is any indication then I pretty much expect to be blown away. Watched Dexter last night on bluray. Still using the Bose I have for LR but the VP150 was fantastic. Of course, it replaced a the center channel form some Sony HTIB that I bought from Goodwill for $3. But I suspect the M22 will be a big upgrade over the Bose cubes as well.
post #646 of 1424 Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Welcome to the real world of home audio. Going from Bose cubes to a full, well relatively full range speaker, you are in for a treat.
post #647 of 1424 Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio9 View Post

Just an update: I bought the vp150 off of Jay. Got it quick, works great. My M22's are supposed to arrive Monday. If the VP150 is any indication then I pretty much expect to be blown away. Watched Dexter last night on bluray. Still using the Bose I have for LR but the VP150 was fantastic. Of course, it replaced a the center channel form some Sony HTIB that I bought from Goodwill for $3. But I suspect the M22 will be a big upgrade over the Bose cubes as well.

Thanks oblio9. Anyone interested in the M60's I still have for sale? $600 plus shipping.
post #648 of 1424 Old 12-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Let us know your impressions of the M22s!!
post #649 of 1424 Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks oblio9. Anyone interested in the M60's I still have for sale? $600 plus shipping.

I am, but the shipping up here would kill me
post #650 of 1424 Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM

Any Axiom owners from the Seattle area?

My Setup
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur
post #651 of 1424 Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

You should go to Axiom's forum, there are a couple of owners around/near you that frequent that forum.
post #652 of 1424 Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:

You mean those little cubes didn't cower in the corner when the VP150 started playing?

Congrats on the purchase.
post #653 of 1424 Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjeyin View Post

Let us know your impressions of the M22s!!

Well good news and bad news. The good news is the M22's sound fantastic. The bad news is the M22's sound fantastic. Now I can hear all the problems I have that before were lost in a sea of mediocrity. Still using the passive Bose subwoofer I have but now I can really tell where the bottom end is missing. And the sound is so much better with the M22's I can totally tell that I have to really mess with the placement of the speakers. Also, I moved the Bose speakers to act as my rears and they are a hell of a lot better than what I was using. But now the rears are very discrete. I know I probably just have to mess with positioning and volume levels. So essentially the system sounds way better, and not great. I really think all my issues can be resolved by spending some time messing with speaker placement and a subwoofer eventually. Hoping to get an eD A2-300 in March or so. Still, very happy with my purchase.
post #654 of 1424 Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM

The BO$E subwoofer is not really a sub, but rather what they call a 'bass module'. Your M22s will go as low as the BO$E 'sub'. You may want to play a bit to see if it sounds better without a sub (set the mains to FULL or LARGE). I can't say for sure if it will be better, but IMO it is worth trying.
post #655 of 1424 Old 12-24-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewd View Post

The BO$E subwoofer is not really a sub, but rather what they call a 'bass module'. Your M22s will go as low as the BO$E 'sub'. You may want to play a bit to see if it sounds better without a sub (set the mains to FULL or LARGE). I can't say for sure if it will be better, but IMO it is worth trying.

That does seem to have helped a bit. Thanks dewd! Man am I glad I didn't actually pay for that Bose stuff. Now I can't wait to get a subwoofer. March can't come soon enough.
post #656 of 1424 Old 12-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Another thing you could try is bumping up the bass setting a couple three dB while sending the M22s the full range signal. Though it won’t be true to the source it might help make up a little for the missing bass until you can get a subwoofer into the mix.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #657 of 1424 Old 12-26-2009, 04:39 AM

I have Klipsch vintage KG-4 fronts and Kv-2 center; with (4) Axiom QS-8' surrounds.
I decided to match either the Klipsch with Klipsch surrounds; or the Axioms with Axiom fronts and center.
The problem is there are no used Axiom speakers available (M-50 and VP-150); so the cost to go all Axiom is prohibitive. I think I will try to sell my Axiom QS-8 surrounds.
Does anyone know the best place to sell them?
post #658 of 1424 Old 12-26-2009, 05:51 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
Best place to sell them is probably Craigslist or http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl.
post #659 of 1424 Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareface View Post

Any Axiom owners from the Seattle area?

Soon to be. As soon as my tax return gets here next month, I plan on ordering the M60 V2's.
post #660 of 1424 Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Thought I had these sold the other day. Still looking to sell. Any reasonable offers are willing to be discussed?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page