Official Axiom Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1424 Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any one have experience with their in-wall/on-wall speakers. More specifically, I am looking at the Epic Grand Master 175 set that consist of 2 W22s, 2 QS8s, W150 center, and EP175 sub.

This will be a dedicated HT in my soon to be finished basement. Room is 20x12 with 7.5 ceilings. I plan on front projection (Sanyo Z5) and a 106'' screen. I have not started my receiver research yet.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1424 Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

where's the axiom love? anyone? later.
post #63 of 1424 Old 11-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Well as a new Axiom owner i'm NOT letting this thread die! people need to see & hear about Axiom.
So here's a question. if i were to buy a new receiver under $500 what would i be looking at?
curr have M60's, QS4 vp100 but might one day due to a dreadfull case of upgraditis end up with the M80's so i'm looking at something that could drive 4ohm and has the true HD, ubber DTS or whatever it's called for HD-DVD players

It's all about the sound!
post #64 of 1424 Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
I run , in my family room, my two M22's, one VP150, two QS8's and one EP500 with a B&K processor and seperate B&K amp. very loud and clear at reference levels.
Basement theater has M&K 150's and SVS PB13 sub again ran with B&K components.
The Axioms are a great value and blend in well in a family room (cherry finish)

Even the recievers that B&K offers will drive the Axiom 4ohm loads with ease.

ps: run your video straight from your source to your display, dont worry about going through your "sound processor". Most display units have multiple inputs for cable, dvd's.
post #65 of 1424 Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I plan on getting a pair of M22 to start off with. Planning on using them for Music / Movies / and as a pair of studio monitors for mixing music.

Everything is running off pro audio gear. Plenty of power. Coupled with some TC sounds subs too.

Got iSCSI?
post #66 of 1424 Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

One of the difficult things about the surrounds is finding a stand for them since there is a speaker at the bottom. I wasn't too appealed with the axiom stands with the round legs and big price so I finally built my own. The height was too tall also.

The only thing I'd recommend is to use the axiom 10.5"x11" specs for the feet for appropriate balance. The sacrificed a speaker grill to use it as a template for the upper base.

LL
LL
LL
LL
post #67 of 1424 Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Nice looking stands you made. I was going to do something like that but laziness got the best of me and I just shelled out for their stands.

Even with their base size I managed to pull one over while using a tape measurer hooked to the front of one. Luckily the speaker was unharmed. So if your not already I suggest using spikes or weight them if you have them on carpet.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #68 of 1424 Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

I'm buying my first home theater system and am wondering how good the above speakers from Axiom are? I plan to use them with a Denon 3808ci and a HSU STF-2 subwoofer for a den on the smaller side. I listened to some Paradigm Cinema 330s which I liked but I've also read good things about the Axioms on the Internet. I'm seriously considering buying the Axiom speakers figuring that I can get more bang for my buck by buying direct but I'm a little wary about buying a speaker I've never listened to from a manufacturer in another country. What does everyone here think? Are the Axioms a safe bet or would I be better off buying the Paradigms from a local dealer?

Thanks.
post #69 of 1424 Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Obviously you're asking people who already own Axioms and think they're great. I bought mine sight unseen (sound unheard) and have not regretted it for a minute. You will not be sorry!

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #70 of 1424 Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Obviously you're asking people who already own Axioms and think they're great. I bought mine sight unseen (sound unheard) and have not regretted it for a minute. You will not be sorry!

I agree. Although they sound surprisignly good, the vinyl veneer is very weak. Since I don't have SACD, I am indifferent to various brands of surrounds.
post #71 of 1424 Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

Nice looking stands you made. I was going to do something like that but laziness got the best of me and I just shelled out for their stands.

Even with their base size I managed to pull one over while using a tape measurer hooked to the front of one. Luckily the speaker was unharmed. So if your not already I suggest using spikes or weight them if you have them on carpet.

Thanks. I thought about it, but then I would have to buy the thingy (not too descriptive) to allow them to screw in. I would also have to get a couple more pairs of spikes.
post #72 of 1424 Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mac, IMHO Axioms are a quality speaker (I have owned and enjoyed them). However, that is no guarantee that you would feel the same. Speaker preference is very subjective.

That being said, I can tell you that Axiom is an excellent company, run by some very nice, down to earth people, with customer service second to none. May I suggest ordering the M3s for a 30 day trial period in your own home with your own equipment. If you like the M3s, you'd likely be content with the other 3 speakers. Yes, if you decide you don't care for the M3s, it would cost you return shipping, but the cost of shipping two small bookshelf speakers to Buffalo, NY (Axiom's U.S. returns center) shouldn't be prohibitive. Think of that expense as the cost of renting a pair of speakers for a month to ensure no buyer's regret. Money well spent.

If you order the other 3 speakers before the end of the 30 day period, I believe your purchase would still qualify for the 5% discount for buying 5 or more items (You should check with Axiom to be sure I am correct about that)

Before ordering, I would also suggest making a toll free phone call to Axiom telling them your wants, needs, and concerns about buying "sound unheard." You'll find them to be very friendly and they will not attempt to hype you into anything you don't need. They are infinitely more interested in creating a satisfied customer than in making a quick sale. In fact, there are numerous stories about them recommending less than what the caller is inquiring about.

Regrettably, I've no experience with the Paradigms in which you are interested, so I am unable to offer a comparison.

Good hunting and good luck. Regardless of brand, I hope you end up with a system that pleases you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy57 View Post

I'm buying my first home theater system and am wondering how good the above speakers from Axiom are? I plan to use them with a Denon 3808ci and a HSU STF-2 subwoofer for a den on the smaller side. I listened to some Paradigm Cinema 330s which I liked but I've also read good things about the Axioms on the Internet. I'm seriously considering buying the Axiom speakers figuring that I can get more bang for my buck by buying direct but I'm a little wary about buying a speaker I've never listened to from a manufacturer in another country. What does everyone here think? Are the Axioms a safe bet or would I be better off buying the Paradigms from a local dealer?

Thanks.

Jack

post #73 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 AM

My speakers should be arriving within a week or two.

2M80's
2QS8's
VP-150
EP-500

Denon 3808

I auditioned the speakers before I bought them, and was VERY impressed
post #74 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

One of the difficult things about the surrounds is finding a stand for them since there is a speaker at the bottom. I wasn't too appealed with the axiom stands with the round legs and big price so I finally built my own. The height was too tall also.

The only thing I'd recommend is to use the axiom 10.5"x11" specs for the feet for appropriate balance. The sacrificed a speaker grill to use it as a template for the upper base.

Those stand look very nice!

What kind of lumber did you use?
post #75 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been in the market for new floor standing speakers for months now. I have decided to pull the "trigger" sometime in early 08 and go for it. During these last few months I have been a regular reader of the comments on this web site as well as others. Initially, I zeroed in on Axiom (60s to be exact) but I have now become undecided given some of the negative postings scattered about in AVS Forum. I guess I am unsure as to why Axiom is looked down upon here. Can anyone sheds light on this fact (impression)? Do they market too agressively? Are they over hyped? When compared to similar speakers they just fall short in their performance?

Meanwhile, my short list now includes:

Monitor Audio RS6s
Polk Audio RTi A7s
Swan Diva's 4.2s or 5.2s
B&W's 683's
Axiom 60s

I am replaceing some low end Polk speakers (Rti 55s) so I want a measurable step up in performance and quality for about $1K to $1.2K.
post #76 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I not sure of the answer, myself! Most people on the forums are fanboys of specific brands. I myself have auditioned various speakers and like a certain type of sound. I've also read all the negative feedback on the Axioms, as well? IMO the two most mentioned concerns are they're bright and look cheap. As for their brightness I can't comment on them having not heard them and because speakers are subjective! As for their appearance they look good to me, but IMO the custom wood finish is amazing and second to none!
When my time comes to buy new speakers I'll give Axiom serious consideration and won't base my decision on other peoples agenda!

Billy p

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #77 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

I am thinking of upgrading my Paradigm Cinema's (110C,90's,PDR-8), Axiom seems to get some good press. After reviewing their web site they recommend: M22's, VP100, QS8's, and EP175 sub. Think that will be a noticeable upgrade? I am looking for a more laid back sound, 95% HDTV and DVD. XR-57 AVR (which I may replace). If I don't like it, any idea what return freight runs on something like that system?
post #78 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM

I too am putting in a new HT and am looking at the Axioms. Went to BB and listened to some speakers and liked the sound of the Vienna Acoustic floorstanding models. What turned me on to those was the clarity of the highs. I'm considering the m80's as they are quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone have anything to say about how these two sets of speakers compare? Also, is there anywhere to listen to the Axioms; do any retail chains carry them? I'll be powering these using the Denon 3808. Thanks in advance.
post #79 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM

@ ohrbrcko

Quote:

Do they market too agressively?

Not in my experience which was quite the opposite. Both the people at Axiom and members of their forum talked me out of buy some Axiom speakers. They suggested I only buy an EP500 subwoofer rather than the larger EP600 and also suggested I try 5.1 before spending the extra money on a 7.1 system.

As to your other questions Billy p said it perfectly.

A couple of ways you might gage other people's opinions here is how long they have been here and what they are saying in other posts. You should be able to sort out those who are truly trying to be helpful and those with agendas.

@tcat

I think you could get a better HSU or SVS subwoofer for the same money as the EP175. Also if you have the room for it you might consider using another M22 as a center rather than a VP 100. I think it would sound better with three matching speakers up front and might even cost a little less.

For return freight I would call Axiom and see if they can tell you.

@RJonesUSC

Check out the first post in the “Hearing things” thread at the Axiom forums to see if there is anyone in your area auditioning.

Can’t help with the comparison.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #80 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

Went to BB and listened to some speakers and liked the sound of the Vienna Acoustic floorstanding models. What turned me on to those was the clarity of the highs. I'm considering the m80's as they are quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone have anything to say about how these two sets of speakers compare?

Axioms are cheaper because of the veneer. I came from Klipsch and I tried really hard to get the highs on my m80 to come out. Side-by-side, they astonishingly sound almost exactly as the B&W 704. Side-by-side, the 703 was a little more bright to my liking, but much more expensive. There was no comparison against B&W 800s. Listen to the 704 and that's the closest thing to the m80s. Find a store with B&W and Vienna and listen to them side-by-side. For the price, Axioms are great, though I frown on the veneer. But, my next upgrade will be B&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

Those stand look very nice!

What kind of lumber did you use?

Red oak. Notice the rear stands are taller to clear the couch.
post #81 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM

First off, I'm not a deaf Axiom fanboy - just a value seeking person. I also happen to now have a house full of their systems - you can see some of it at www.themclagans.com

As to Axiom's history - they used to sell in stores but said why give the retailer 50% of the purchase price when they can pass along the savings to purchasers and, have a more honest dialog without filtering through salespeople.

We're now also using the Axiom amp with a Denon 4308 as a preamp (and to power the library in zone 2). I had an Onkyo 975 but it can only trigger on zone 2 so couldn't cycle the Axiom amp and, it could only output one TV at a time (and we have 2). Otherwise, the Onkyo is solid and excellent but yes, it runs hot when upscaling video.

The dual-fronts on our main HT are over-kill and, we got to audition the single fronts for several months before the Axiom amp arrived. Give these things power and they'll soar. The Onkyo maxed at 95db before some slight distortion in the mid-range and we haven't tested the Axiom amp yet.

I'll try to check the board for any specific questions since we have most of the speakers somewhere in the house.
post #82 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

Any one have experience with their in-wall/on-wall speakers. More specifically, I am looking at the Epic Grand Master 175 set that consist of 2 W22s, 2 QS8s, W150 center, and EP175 sub.

This will be a dedicated HT in my soon to be finished basement. Room is 20x12 with 7.5 ceilings. I plan on front projection (Sanyo Z5) and a 106'' screen. I have not started my receiver research yet.

Thanks.

If that's your budget, then you're in good stead. Give me a few more dollars, and I'd first upgrade the center channel to the 150 which takes most of the vocals. Give me a little more, and I'd upgrade to the 400 subwoofer and then leave it at that.

Beyond that, you're into serious money and performace.

Hope that helps - you can see our color choices and some notes at www.themclagans.com

Mounting was easy as long as your studs are in the right place - especially for locating the horizontal center channel.
post #83 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

Axioms are cheaper because of the veneer. I came from Klipsch and I tried really hard to get the highs on my m80 to come out. Side-by-side, they astonishingly sound almost exactly as the B&W 704. Side-by-side, the 703 was a little more bright to my liking, but much more expensive. There was no comparison against B&W 800s. Listen to the 704 and that's the closest thing to the m80s. Find a store with B&W and Vienna and listen to them side-by-side. For the price, Axioms are great, though I frown on the veneer. But, my next upgrade will be B&W.

Thanks. How do the m60's compare to the m80's (or another speaker I could actually listen to)?
post #84 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. How do the m60's compare to the m80's (or another speaker I could actually listen to)?

Sorry - I don't now.
post #85 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The m60's are similar to the m80's in the bass category. The m80's are a bit more detailed due to the dual tweeters and midrange drivers, and can handle more power. I've owned both for many years and have been very happy, and I have a very large room.

In my auditions from years ago, I thought the B&W 703's were very similar to the m60's, at a much larger price.

My Website
post #86 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

A ok,

I would disagree about your comments with the vinyl wrap being weak. In my opinion they have some of the nicest vinyl wrap quality in the industry. Of course you can look at their custom vinyl or wood grades, but there is no reason to call the quality weak. You obviously have not toured their manufacturing plant.

My Website
post #87 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

The m60's are similar to the m80's in the bass category. The m80's are a bit more detailed due to the dual tweeters and midrange drivers, and can handle more power. I've owned both for many years and have been very happy, and I have a very large room.

In my auditions from years ago, I thought the B&W 703's were very similar to the m60's, at a much larger price.

Thanks for the info. Do you think the Denon 3808 has what it takes to power the m80's? Or do you think the 3808 wouldn't do enough for the m80's to justify buying them over the m60's?
post #88 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Do you think the Denon 3808 has what it takes to power the m80's? Or do you think the 3808 wouldn't do enough for the m80's to justify buying them over the m60's?

Denon is one MFG that usually gets good results with 4 ohm speakers driven at moderate levels. But IMHO the m80's would be better served with a 2ch amp rated at no less then 150wpc. Go with the 60's

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #89 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM

My older Yamaha RX-V2200 is rated at 140w@4 ohms and sounds pretty freaking good. Don't quote me on this, but pretty much any receiver that you have will push the m80s as long as you don't push reference levels you should be fine.

You could always check out the Axiom Audio forums as well. There are a ton of knowledgeable people over there willing to give you advice.
post #90 of 1424 Old 11-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a 3806 on the m80, ep500, vp150, and 4 qs8 and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack View Post

A ok,

I would disagree about your comments with the vinyl wrap being weak. In my opinion they have some of the nicest vinyl wrap quality in the industry. Of course you can look at their custom vinyl or wood grades, but there is no reason to call the quality weak. You obviously have not toured their manufacturing plant.

Sirquack, attached are pics shortly after I purchased them. Honestly, pictures don't lie. They peel off in the edges. These were my second set of m80s and I had the same problem with the first set. Although I'm very satisfied with my purchase, I think prospective buyers should be aware that paper is paper, no matter how well their operation is. It's a trusted business to me and they seem like great people, but paper is still paper. The wood veneer option is nice, but pricey to the point where, for me, it's similar in price point as a B&W 704.

Also, the 703 has a bit more horizontal axis (sweet spot) than the m80 and 704. In a blind test, I and the sales person was shocked how well the m80s stood against the 704. The 704 is more in competition with the m80. Although the m60 has the same number of speakers as the 703, the 703 is, if I can remember right, about $1,500 more than the 704 and well above in sound than the 704 and m60.
LL
LL
Reply Speakers

Tags
Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page