Official Axiom Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
Speakers > Official Axiom Owner's Thread
jakewash's Avatar jakewash 06:49 PM 09-24-2011
Congrats on the purchase, let us know what you think about them.

taylor34's Avatar taylor34 11:36 PM 10-13-2011
So for those of you who upgraded from a vp150 to a vp180, are you happy with the purchase? And 2nd, what did you do with your vp150? I'm thinking about upgrading.
jeffbar's Avatar jeffbar 10:36 AM 10-14-2011
The one advantage of buying at BB is that the store sometimes offers no-play plans of up to 36 months. Pay off your purchases within that time span and you don't pay any interest.

The benefit is that you can get a better/bigger system than you can afford now, giving you more immediate pleasure and negating the necessity of an upgrade several years down the line. You just have to be sure of your income stream and living arrangements for a few years out.

If that idea appeals to you, check out the Def Tech and B&W speakers. Best Buy also carries some Martin Logan, Mirage and Energy.

Also look for markdowns on open-box receivers. You could get a fantastic deal for $500 to $700 if you get lucky.

Before you buy, however, check prices on the Internet. No sense in buying on a no-pay plan at BB if you end up paying a huge markup.

I'd buy the sub online at Epik, Hsu or SVS.

Keep in mind: you'll need HDMI connections to other devices, decent speaker wire and perhaps a better remote. Don't buy those at BB. You'll pay a huge premium. Try Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable.
cdelena's Avatar cdelena 10:45 AM 10-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

So for those of you who upgraded from a vp150 to a vp180, are you happy with the purchase? And 2nd, what did you do with your vp150? I'm thinking about upgrading.

We upgraded from a VP100 to a VP150 and it was well worth it. I suspect the VP180 would be an improvement but question the bang for the buck with my budget.

My old VP100 has been on a shelf in storage for years... too big for many uses and not in demand enough to sell. I thought one of the kids would want it in their system but no takers.
types2k3's Avatar types2k3 07:29 PM 10-18-2011
Seeking Advice on an Amplifier preferably under $1000 if possible. If not, please let me know what you would recommend for a bit higher budget.

The room size is 5.18M x 4.06M and a ceiling height of 3.9M and it's on the main floor of the house.

I'll be buying either a Samsung UN65D8000XFXZC or Sharp AqousLC70LE735U.

Using the system mainly for movies and sports and listening to music through Iphone/Ipad.

Looking to get Netflix for most of my movies and sometimes bluray.

Need to also connect Xbox360 and Ps3

Minimum requirements for amp:
- 2 zones min
- 3D capable
- internet connection
- air play
- hdmi 1.4 for 3D
- 7.2 Surround sound incase I want to add 2 more speakers in the future

I've already purchased the following 5.1 Axiom equipment however I haven't taken delivery so I can make a minor change if there's a better product out there for the same price range.

My Axiom system:
VP100 - Centre
EP125 - Sub
QS4 - Surround
M3 - Front

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
centauro74's Avatar centauro74 08:14 AM 10-19-2011
Denon 3312ci.
types2k3's Avatar types2k3 08:15 PM 10-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

Denon 3312ci.

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there any other options that I should look into?
centauro74's Avatar centauro74 02:51 PM 10-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by types2k3 View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there any other options that I should look into?

Denon 4311ci for dual sub calibration even better.
taylor34's Avatar taylor34 12:05 PM 10-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

We upgraded from a VP100 to a VP150 and it was well worth it. I suspect the VP180 would be an improvement but question the bang for the buck with my budget.

My old VP100 has been on a shelf in storage for years... too big for many uses and not in demand enough to sell. I thought one of the kids would want it in their system but no takers.

Well I talked with Axiom about the vp150 to vp180 upgrade, they don't seem to care at all that I was one of the ones that got screwed a year and a half ago (I bought my speakers, then the next month they announced version 3 + fixed the center channel with the vp180). Love the speakers, but at the time I was kind of torqued about the whole thing, since I went out on a limb to buy them spending like $2500 to $3k despite the negative center channel reviews, then get blindsided by having the older version + having to spend $750 again to buy the right center channel (after I'd already spent $450 on the first one). I asked if there was anything they could do for me as a current owner who just wants to upgrade only his center channel (basically to fix the weak point in their system), answer was no, no discounts, not even 5%. Just fyi for those interested in buying axiom in the future, they don't seem to really care if you've bought products from them in the past.

Perhaps I'm whining a bit here (probably, lol) but I expected a little better treatment especially since I'd bought their flagship line and considering the circumstances that happened right after I bought them. Love the speakers though (except the center channel, lol, which is why it's kind of aggravating).
gtpsuper24's Avatar gtpsuper24 12:41 PM 10-25-2011
I agree 100% with you, I moved on to other brands because of the VP150 center. Had it for 3yrs and it seem to sound worst the longer you listen to it. I have started to understand why for the last few years Axiom had a negative perception. Also the constant price increases, 2 since the V3s, but yet no improved preformance to go with those price increases. Its the same drivers that are very low end, cheap hollow cabinets with no bracing, harsh fatiguing tweeters, cheap junky crossovers (lacking highpass filters on the midrange so they break up and ring at higher volumes), way overpriced subwoofers ect. Don't even bother having a legimate complaint on their forum cause the members seem to have an attitude that Axiom does no wrong ever totally perfect. I brought up that Axiom is an ID company they need to try and compete with ID companies and offer better bang for the buck subwoofers, instead of charging $1300 for a subwoofer that is out performed by a $700 subwoofer from other companies.
GregLee's Avatar GregLee 01:27 PM 10-25-2011
Quote:

My Axiom system:
VP100 - Centre
EP125 - Sub
QS4 - Surround
M3 - Front

Consider getting M2s for fronts instead of M3s. Though it would save a little money, the point is to get a better tonal match with the other speakers. The M3s have a high bass emphasis that compensates for their small size, but is pointless when used with a sub. I use M3s as fronts in one of my Axiom systems, and I'm not entirely happy with them.
taylor34's Avatar taylor34 04:37 PM 10-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I agree 100% with you, I moved on to other brands because of the VP150 center. Had it for 3yrs and it seem to sound worst the longer you listen to it. I have started to understand why for the last few years Axiom had a negative perception. Also the constant price increases, 2 since the V3s, but yet no improved preformance to go with those price increases. Its the same drivers that are very low end, cheap hollow cabinets with no bracing, harsh fatiguing tweeters, cheap junky crossovers (lacking highpass filters on the midrange so they break up and ring at higher volumes), way overpriced subwoofers ect. Don't even bother having a legimate complaint on their forum cause the members seem to have an attitude that Axiom does no wrong ever totally perfect. I brought up that Axiom is an ID company they need to try and compete with ID companies and offer better bang for the buck subwoofers, instead of charging $1300 for a subwoofer that is out performed by a $700 subwoofer from other companies.

I actually don't have a problem with the actual speakers themselves (personally I think that they sound awesome outside of the center channel which isn't bad but isn't great either) or the sub (which I didn't buy, I bought an HSU instead). I just don't appreciate the customer service they're providing, kind of disappointing that once you've bought from them they couldn't care less if you bought from them again. I think it's another one of those familiar stories where a small company gets bigger and then becomes more and more concerned about the numbers and less concerned about the customers.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 05:08 PM 10-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Consider getting M2s for fronts instead of M3s. Though it would save a little money, the point is to get a better tonal match with the other speakers. The M3s have a high bass emphasis that compensates for their small size, but is pointless when used with a sub. I use M3s as fronts in one of my Axiom systems, and I'm not entirely happy with them.

I was considering getting M3s but would the M2s really be the better option?
taylor34's Avatar taylor34 11:49 PM 10-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

Well I talked with Axiom about the vp150 to vp180 upgrade, they don't seem to care at all that I was one of the ones that got screwed a year and a half ago (I bought my speakers, then the next month they announced version 3 + fixed the center channel with the vp180). Love the speakers, but at the time I was kind of torqued about the whole thing, since I went out on a limb to buy them spending like $2500 to $3k despite the negative center channel reviews, then get blindsided by having the older version + having to spend $750 again to buy the right center channel (after I'd already spent $450 on the first one). I asked if there was anything they could do for me as a current owner who just wants to upgrade only his center channel (basically to fix the weak point in their system), answer was no, no discounts, not even 5%. Just fyi for those interested in buying axiom in the future, they don't seem to really care if you've bought products from them in the past.

Perhaps I'm whining a bit here (probably, lol) but I expected a little better treatment especially since I'd bought their flagship line and considering the circumstances that happened right after I bought them. Love the speakers though (except the center channel, lol, which is why it's kind of aggravating).

I wanted to update my earlier post, Axiom decided to cut me a break on the center channel upgrade after all, for some reason they waited 3 days before changing their minds. So I'm happy with the resolution on the matter, just wanted to feel like I mattered...anyone need a vp-150 center channel in boston cherry?
mylopr's Avatar mylopr 12:14 PM 10-29-2011
Taylor34,

Is it in good condition? I'm looking for one. Send me a PM or an email to jjmujica@me.com. I'll be more than happy to do business with you. Currently I have the VP100.

Jose
GregLee's Avatar GregLee 08:44 AM 10-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I was considering getting M3s but would the M2s really be the better option?

I hope others here will contribute an opinion, but mine is that M3s are better for a stereo system in which they are the only two speakers. But where they must blend with other Axiom speakers, M2s will give a better soundstage. The M2 has gotten some very strong reviews, in the past. The Axiom web site points to some of them, but back when I bought mine, I was persuaded by a review in this forum from "Tom Bombadil", which is now in the archives:
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...63#post1821863
fotto's Avatar fotto 07:42 PM 11-22-2011
Hi all,
I have a dedicated HT (12' x 22", see link if interested) with 5.1 system. Currently using VP150, QS8's and SVS PB12-NSD. My front mains are OLD (circa 1988 or so) American Acoustics tower speakers that I plan to upgrade shortly.

I am leaning on buying some bookshelf style speakers vs. towers due to a few reasons, one of which is due to mechanical difficulties with my AT screen set-up. I have been happy with the current Axiom's, and am considering the M22 V3 book shelf for fronts. Reviews seem to be good overall.

My question is, do you feel these speakers can provide enough punch for my size room? I will be driving them with a two channel Rotel amp, and have an Onkyo TX-NR708.

I could always order them in for trial, but thought I might get some opinions prior.
Billy p's Avatar Billy p 09:36 PM 11-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Hi all,
I have a dedicated HT (12' x 22", see link if interested) with 5.1 system. Currently using VP150, QS8's and SVS PB12-NSD. My front mains are OLD (circa 1988 or so) American Acoustics tower speakers that I plan to upgrade shortly.

I am leaning on buying some bookshelf style speakers vs. towers due to a few reasons, one of which is due to mechanical difficulties with my AT screen set-up. I have been happy with the current Axiom's, and am considering the M22 V3 book shelf for fronts. Reviews seem to be good overall.

My question is, do you feel these speakers can provide enough punch for my size room? I will be driving them with a two channel Rotel amp, and have an Onkyo TX-NR708.

I could always order them in for trial, but thought I might get some opinions prior.

I have the inwall version of the 22's along with Q4's in a 21x15 room and they do nice enough job...and, since your sub duties are in the capable hands of the Svs pb12 the 22's will be just fine.
Scamps's Avatar Scamps 10:42 PM 11-22-2011
Quote:

Hi all,

I have a similar sized room with the M22's along the front (behind an AT screen) matched with an SVS PC12-Plus. The sound is incredible and I can rattle dishes two floors up, although that's more the SVS sub I suppose.... For a small size room the M22's work very well. If I had a camera handy I'd take a picture of the permanent grin on my face.
fotto's Avatar fotto 06:11 AM 11-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

I have the inwall version of the 22's along with Q4's in a 21x15 room and they do nice enough job...and, since your sub duties are in the capable hands of the Svs pb12 the 22's will be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamps View Post

I have a similar sized room with the M22's along the front (behind an AT screen) matched with an SVS PC12-Plus. The sound is incredible and I can rattle dishes two floors up, although that's more the SVS sub I suppose.... For a small size room the M22's work very well. If I had a camera handy I'd take a picture of the permanent grin on my face.

Thank you both...sounds like I should be OK with those. One other question on stands....since these will be hidden I don't really care about aesthetics of the stand, and really don't want to drop an extra $200 for the Axiom stands. Any reason why this one from Sanus wouldn't work for the M22's? I calculated that I need the 24" height. Was more concerned about the top plate dimensions being 6" x 6.5" and the speaker at 7" x 8". It;s listed on Amazon at $59.

http://www.standsandmounts.com/sanus...lackef24b.aspx

Maybe it's worth the extra $100 diff to just get the Axiom stands which are made for the speaker???

May sound like a silly question but I've never bought bookshelf speakers before. I suppose these could just sit on the top plate of the Sanus and the rubber isolation pads will keep it from shifting right?
Billy p's Avatar Billy p 06:37 AM 11-23-2011
Quote:

Thank you both...sounds like I should be OK with those. One other question on stands....since these will be hidden I don't really care about aesthetics of the stand, and really don't want to drop an extra $200 for the Axiom stands. Any reason why this one from Sanus wouldn't work for the M22's? I calculated that I need the 24" height. Was more concerned about the top plate dimensions being 6" x 6.5" and the speaker at 7" x 8". It;s listed on Amazon at $59.

http://www.standsandmounts.com/sanus...lackef24b.aspx

Maybe it's worth the extra $100 diff to just get the Axiom stands which are made for the speaker???

May sound like a silly question but I've never bought bookshelf speakers before. I suppose these could just sit on the top plate of the Sanus and the rubber isolation pads will keep it from shifting right?

Your 2 concerns IMO when seeking top buy speaker stands... is how sturdy & well built they are and height in relation to the your ears in the listening position. I'm using Sanus SF's and hightly recommend them...made from heavy duty steel but you have other options.

These would work .....http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...p-natural/NF18

I also added some sticky tack underneath the top plate and speaker for some added safty...
fotto's Avatar fotto 08:26 AM 11-23-2011
Quote:

Your 2 concerns IMO when seeking top buy speaker stands... is how sturdy & well built they are and height in relation to the your ears in the listening position. I'm using Sanus SF's and hightly recommend them...made from heavy duty steel but you have other options.

These would work .....http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...p-natural/NF18

I also added some sticky tack underneath the top plate and speaker for some added safty...

Thanks. My only concern with that style is the square base. I have a limited area to position these due to the back of the stage and corner bass traps. so was thinking that a "3 pronged" base would afford more flexibility.
swolfcg's Avatar swolfcg 04:21 PM 11-27-2011
I've been searching high and low for a decent set up speakers for my bedroom (casual tv-movie watching) and I ran across a few interesting pairs of speakers at axiom's site.

I searched for but didn't get any returns for the following, so if anyone has any insight if these speakers are decent please share.

M0 v3 On-Wall Speakers
The driver is really small but I like the look and dimensions.

M2 v3 On-Wall Speakers
A little big but I like the driver size.

I'll be running a Outlaw M8 with these. TIA
bjcays's Avatar bjcays 07:49 AM 12-07-2011
Hi swolfcg, Definitely the M2; its frequency response is better suited especially if you will not add a subwoofer.
M0 : +/- 3 dB : 160 Hz @ 20 KHz
M2 : +/- 3 dB : 80 Hz @ 20 Kz
JohnnyCapsLock's Avatar JohnnyCapsLock 10:03 PM 12-16-2011
Quote:

I would second that. The sub is key with he 22's.... But they are fantastic!
jonfitch's Avatar jonfitch 10:14 PM 12-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

Denon 4311ci for dual sub calibration even better.

More money is always better
LowellG's Avatar LowellG 08:51 PM 12-25-2011
Hello everyone,

I am setting up a small HT in a 12x14x9 space. I have attached the jpg. I am looking at using Axiom M22s and VP150 up front with the QS8s for surrounds. My question is the room is small. The seating will be about a foot off the back wall. My question is should I put the QS8s to the sides at 90 degrees like Dolby and DTS recommend, or should I put them on the back wall like I have them pictured?

I am thinking about a 106" screen and an SVS sub up front.

Thanks,
LL
Rijax's Avatar Rijax 09:32 PM 12-25-2011
IMHO, either position will work, but I would place them on the side walls, about three to six inches from the back wall, which should be just slightly behind the listeners ears.
LowellG's Avatar LowellG 08:15 AM 12-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijax View Post

IMHO, either position will work, but I would place them on the side walls, about three to six inches from the back wall, which should be just slightly behind the listeners ears.

Thanks, so even though there is only 3-6 inches from the wall to the tweeter it won't matter?
Rijax's Avatar Rijax 10:29 AM 12-26-2011
IMO, it will not matter. However, if I were you, I would go to the horse's mouth and call Axiom

Contact Us for Free Expert Advice! 1-866-244-8796
9am - 8pm Mon-Fri, 12pm - 8pm Sat, EST

I have called. They are very friendly and helpful.

If you are uncomfortable with that, you might email your question to Alan Lofft (alan@axiomaudio.com). Going that route, you could include your diagram.

A 3rd alternative would be posting your question at the Axiom forum.

I think, no matter where you place the QS8s, you are going to really enjoy them.
Tags: Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop