Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1424 Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks

SiteCR2 

See the world, meet new friends and enjoy what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1424 Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 AM

Liked: 11
Ultimately the question is: Are you happy with what you have? If not, move on. If so, enjoy. It is also not uncommon for people's taste or room configurations and desires to change over the years. I've gone from Wharfedale to nOrh to Onix Rockets to Axiom now. I've enjoyed all the equipment I have owned though upgraditis has struck on occasion. If you regret your purchasing decision you typically only have yourself to blame. Internet direct companies aren't for everyone and there are plenty of B&M stores out there for you to audition other brands.
post #1413 of 1424 Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, I am an Axiom owner, so here are some of my thoughts . . .

I used to refer to Axiom Speakers as "The Best Speaker I Never Heard . . ."

I decided on purchasing Axiom, after years of research. I never owned any other "high end" speakers, although I did have a pair of B&W "202's", they were the cheapest B&W you could buy back in the early 90's. I also have a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers that I bought in the 80's, and they are still going strong today.

I used to joke, that I would never be able to afford the speakers that I really wanted. Even if I won the lottery, it would have to be a really large lottery! I used to joke, that George Lucas would look at the speaker system that I wanted, and say, "maybe next year . . . "

Things that impressed me about Axiom, before hearing or buying the speakers.

Lots of happy owners.

Appeared to be a research based speaker company, using science and research. They appeared to spend their money on the actual audio, not the "rare woods" and unique designs.

Seemed to be compared to the higher end B&W speakers (which were my fantasy speaker of choice!)

I bought my 5 speaker system in 2005

2- M60
1 - VP150
2 - QS8

After a few months, I really was not super impressed with the M60's, and Axiom let me upgrade to the M80's for a very nominal fee. Even sent me boxes to return the M60's.

My Jack Russell Terrier likes to watch TV as much as I do, and she LOVES to attack the TV and speakers, so I have to keep a barrier in front of the Plasma TV, and the speakers have just become "sacrificial lambs" getting attacked by her, over the years. Axiom sold me replacement grills, and replacement speaker cones, at very low prices, (in my opinion). Cannot figure out an effective barricade to the M80's that would be sonic-ly transparent!

Now it is 8 years later, and what I find interesting, is that I stopped researching speakers after getting the Axioms. I graduated College in 1985, and I read (and saved) every issue of Stereo Review and Audio magazine for many years. Used to be a "groupie" at the local high end audio store, stopping in there as often as I could to listen to the B&W 801's. (This was before Home Theater - and the Internet!)

I do not have a sub woofer, and actually do not want a sub woofer. Very happy with the sound that my system puts out. I have a Pioneer VSX-15 receiver (I had the VSX-14, and gave it too my dad).

Do I have any regrets? No.

Would I make any changes if I had to do it all over again? YES.

I am not thrilled with my QS8's.

It is not that I think they are bad, but rather, bad for my environment. I have a large living room/dining room, with a high ceiling, and the Qs8's are supposed to give you that "bounced off the walls" indirect sound that you would want with a surround sound speaker. I would have preferred a bookshelf speaker, or even two "center channel" speakers. I think about getting two new M80's, and using my old ones as left and right surround sounds (maybe putting a shelf on each wall, and lay the M80's on the side . . .)

I often look at the Fry's ad, and think, "those Polk or JBL floor standing speakers, or center channel speakers that are on sale this week would probably work better than my Qs8's.

But, I have never done anything. I have re-positioned my Qs8's a few times, bought a new wall mount for them (Axiom came out with a better mounting bracket for them a few years ago). I also re-arranged my living room furniture, and I am going to re-position my Qs8's one more time (I think this time I will find the sweet spot!)

Like I said before, I used to research the hell out of anything Audio or Video or Home Theater related.

All my components are several years old, and it bugs me, that I do not have the latest and the greatest, but I really do enjoy my system, and I keep on asking myself, "how much better" would my AV experience be if I upgraded everything to "state of the art"?

My Axioms, were V1, maybe parts of them are V2, (Axiom is up to V3 now) the M80's are not the flagship speaker anymore.
Here is my equipment:

Pioneer VSX-1015 Receiver
Panasonic 58 inch PX60 Plasma (It is NOT 720p, it is 768P!)
Oppo BDP-83
Roku box with digital audio to the receiver, and hdmi
Dune Duo Media Server
Dish VIP722k
Axiom M80's (main L & R)
Axiom vp-150 (center)
Axiom Qs8 (surround)
Logitech Harmony Remote

My Receiver was beginning to show it's age, with no HDMI connections, but then I realized I could connect the video directly to the Plasma. Bamn! Receiver was as good as new!

The Logitech Harmony remote makes the necessity of sending the video thru the AV receiver un-necessary. I love the sound of my receiver, do not even think of upgrading. I am bi-amping my M80's too!

Having only two HDMI connections on my Plasma bothered me, until I realized that a simple HDMI switcher solved my problem, and since HDMI is a digital connection, there is no signal degredation.

My Plasma is not 1080p, and I really want a 1080p plasma, but every night when I watch my TV, I ask myself, how much better can the picture be? And, all dish programming except PPV is 1080i/720p anyway (I use 720p on the dish receiver, I think it is a better selection than 1080i)

The Roku and Dun Duo are both connected via digital audio to the Pioneer receiver. Actually, all my audio is digital to the receiver. I could connect my Oppo to my Receiver with 5 channel analog, supposedly that would be even better, but there is already too many damn wires back there! And I am very happy with the Blu-Ray sound now!

My next purchase will probably be a Panasonic ZT60-65 inch plasma. That is, unless I can see OLED 4k starting to get in my price range in the near future (looks like fat chance of that happening!)

Where was I going with all of this? Oh yea, I bet if I looked, I could find flaws in my Axioms, and find better (maybe just different) alternatives to my system. Heck, I would bet my 2005 Axiom Audio system is not as good as a 2013 Axiom system!

However, I am very pleased with my system, and I have assembled a "very close" to reference AV system, at a price that I could afford.

So, in summary, I am a very happy Axiom owner, and I have been "cured" of my constant search to find the perfect AV system. And this was an obsession of mine, from high school (let's say 1977 or so) to around 2005 or so.

Now I "just" enjoy my system!
post #1414 of 1424 Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Budd:

Thanks for your thoughts. Being happy with your gear is what it is all about & don't let anyone tell you different.

Be advised that this thread has been largely replaced by a newer one that you might want to peruse as it is a little more recent:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464107/new-official-axiom-audio-speaker-owners-thread

TAM
post #1415 of 1424 Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks!
post #1416 of 1424 Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

Well, I am an Axiom owner, so here are some of my thoughts . . .I used to refer to Axiom Speakers as "The Best Speaker I Never Heard . . ."I decided on purchasing Axiom, after years of research. I never owned any other "high end" speakers, although I did have a pair of B&W "202's", they were the cheapest B&W you could buy back in the early 90's. I also have a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers that I bought in the 80's, and they are still going strong today.I used to joke, that I would never be able to afford the speakers that I really wanted. Even if I won the lottery, it would have to be a really large lottery! I used to joke, that George Lucas would look at the speaker system that I wanted, and say, "maybe next year . . . "Things that impressed me about Axiom, before hearing or buying the speakers.Lots of happy owners. Appeared to be a research based speaker company, using science and research. They appeared to spend their money on the actual audio, not the "rare woods" and unique designs.Seemed to be compared to the higher end B&W speakers (which were my fantasy speaker of choice!)I bought my 5 speaker system in 20052- M601 - VP1502 - QS8After a few months, I really was not super impressed with the M60's, and Axiom let me upgrade to the M80's for a very nominal fee. Even sent me boxes to return the M60's. My Jack Russell Terrier likes to watch TV as much as I do, and she LOVES to attack the TV and speakers, so I have to keep a barrier in front of the Plasma TV, and the speakers have just become "sacrificial lambs" getting attacked by her, over the years. Axiom sold me replacement grills, and replacement speaker cones, at very low prices, (in my opinion). Cannot figure out an effective barricade to the M80's that would be sonic-ly transparent!Now it is 8 years later, and what I find interesting, is that I stopped researching speakers after getting the Axioms. I graduated College in 1985, and I read (and saved) every issue of Stereo Review and Audio magazine for many years. Used to be a "groupie" at the local high end audio store, stopping in there as often as I could to listen to the B&W 801's. (This was before Home Theater - and the Internet!)I do not have a sub woofer, and actually do not want a sub woofer. Very happy with the sound that my system puts out. I have a Pioneer VSX-15 receiver (I had the VSX-14, and gave it too my dad).Do I have any regrets? No.Would I make any changes if I had to do it all over again? YES.I am not thrilled with my QS8's. It is not that I think they are bad, but rather, bad for my environment. I have a large living room/dining room, with a high ceiling, and the Qs8's are supposed to give you that "bounced off the walls" indirect sound that you would want with a surround sound speaker. I would have preferred a bookshelf speaker, or even two "center channel" speakers. I think about getting two new M80's, and using my old ones as left and right surround sounds (maybe putting a shelf on each wall, and lay the M80's on the side . . .)I often look at the Fry's ad, and think, "those Polk or JBL floor standing speakers, or center channel speakers that are on sale this week would probably work better than my Qs8's.But, I have never done anything. I have re-positioned my Qs8's a few times, bought a new wall mount for them (Axiom came out with a better mounting bracket for them a few years ago). I also re-arranged my living room furniture, and I am going to re-position my Qs8's one more time (I think this time I will find the sweet spot!)Like I said before, I used to research the hell out of anything Audio or Video or Home Theater related.All my components are several years old, and it bugs me, that I do not have the latest and the greatest, but I really do enjoy my system, and I keep on asking myself, "how much better" would my AV experience be if I upgraded everything to "state of the art"?My Axioms, were V1, maybe parts of them are V2, (Axiom is up to V3 now) the M80's are not the flagship speaker anymore.Here is my equipment:Pioneer VSX-1015 ReceiverPanasonic 58 inch PX60 Plasma (It is NOT 720p, it is 768P!)Oppo BDP-83Roku box with digital audio to the receiver, and hdmi Dune Duo Media ServerDish VIP722kAxiom M80's (main L & R)Axiom vp-150 (center)Axiom Qs8 (surround)Logitech Harmony RemoteMy Receiver was beginning to show it's age, with no HDMI connections, but then I realized I could connect the video directly to the Plasma. Bamn! Receiver was as good as new!The Logitech Harmony remote makes the necessity of sending the video thru the AV receiver un-necessary. I love the sound of my receiver, do not even think of upgrading. I am bi-amping my M80's too!Having only two HDMI connections on my Plasma bothered me, until I realized that a simple HDMI switcher solved my problem, and since HDMI is a digital connection, there is no signal degredation.My Plasma is not 1080p, and I really want a 1080p plasma, but every night when I watch my TV, I ask myself, how much better can the picture be? And, all dish programming except PPV is 1080i/720p anyway (I use 720p on the dish receiver, I think it is a better selection than 1080i)The Roku and Dun Duo are both connected via digital audio to the Pioneer receiver. Actually, all my audio is digital to the receiver. I could connect my Oppo to my Receiver with 5 channel analog, supposedly that would be even better, but there is already too many damn wires back there! And I am very happy with the Blu-Ray sound now!My next purchase will probably be a Panasonic ZT60-65 inch plasma. That is, unless I can see OLED 4k starting to get in my price range in the near future (looks like fat chance of that happening!)Where was I going with all of this? Oh yea, I bet if I looked, I could find flaws in my Axioms, and find better (maybe just different) alternatives to my system. Heck, I would bet my 2005 Axiom Audio system is not as good as a 2013 Axiom system!However, I am very pleased with my system, and I have assembled a "very close" to reference AV system, at a price that I could afford. So, in summary, I am a very happy Axiom owner, and I have been "cured" of my constant search to find the perfect AV system. And this was an obsession of mine, from high school (let's say 1977 or so) to around 2005 or so.Now I "just" enjoy my system!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk
post #1417 of 1424 Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

Well, I am an Axiom owner, so here are some of my thoughts . . .I used to refer to Axiom Speakers as "The Best Speaker I Never Heard . . ."I decided on purchasing Axiom, after years of research. I never owned any other "high end" speakers, although I did have a pair of B&W "202's", they were the cheapest B&W you could buy back in the early 90's. I also have a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers that I bought in the 80's, and they are still going strong today.I used to joke, that I would never be able to afford the speakers that I really wanted. Even if I won the lottery, it would have to be a really large lottery! I used to joke, that George Lucas would look at the speaker system that I wanted, and say, "maybe next year . . . "Things that impressed me about Axiom, before hearing or buying the speakers.Lots of happy owners. Appeared to be a research based speaker company, using science and research. They appeared to spend their money on the actual audio, not the "rare woods" and unique designs.Seemed to be compared to the higher end B&W speakers (which were my fantasy speaker of choice!)I bought my 5 speaker system in 20052- M601 - VP1502 - QS8After a few months, I really was not super impressed with the M60's, and Axiom let me upgrade to the M80's for a very nominal fee. Even sent me boxes to return the M60's. My Jack Russell Terrier likes to watch TV as much as I do, and she LOVES to attack the TV and speakers, so I have to keep a barrier in front of the Plasma TV, and the speakers have just become "sacrificial lambs" getting attacked by her, over the years. Axiom sold me replacement grills, and replacement speaker cones, at very low prices, (in my opinion). Cannot figure out an effective barricade to the M80's that would be sonic-ly transparent!Now it is 8 years later, and what I find interesting, is that I stopped researching speakers after getting the Axioms. I graduated College in 1985, and I read (and saved) every issue of Stereo Review and Audio magazine for many years. Used to be a "groupie" at the local high end audio store, stopping in there as often as I could to listen to the B&W 801's. (This was before Home Theater - and the Internet!)I do not have a sub woofer, and actually do not want a sub woofer. Very happy with the sound that my system puts out. I have a Pioneer VSX-15 receiver (I had the VSX-14, and gave it too my dad).Do I have any regrets? No.Would I make any changes if I had to do it all over again? YES.I am not thrilled with my QS8's. It is not that I think they are bad, but rather, bad for my environment. I have a large living room/dining room, with a high ceiling, and the Qs8's are supposed to give you that "bounced off the walls" indirect sound that you would want with a surround sound speaker. I would have preferred a bookshelf speaker, or even two "center channel" speakers. I think about getting two new M80's, and using my old ones as left and right surround sounds (maybe putting a shelf on each wall, and lay the M80's on the side . . .)I often look at the Fry's ad, and think, "those Polk or JBL floor standing speakers, or center channel speakers that are on sale this week would probably work better than my Qs8's.But, I have never done anything. I have re-positioned my Qs8's a few times, bought a new wall mount for them (Axiom came out with a better mounting bracket for them a few years ago). I also re-arranged my living room furniture, and I am going to re-position my Qs8's one more time (I think this time I will find the sweet spot!)Like I said before, I used to research the hell out of anything Audio or Video or Home Theater related.All my components are several years old, and it bugs me, that I do not have the latest and the greatest, but I really do enjoy my system, and I keep on asking myself, "how much better" would my AV experience be if I upgraded everything to "state of the art"?My Axioms, were V1, maybe parts of them are V2, (Axiom is up to V3 now) the M80's are not the flagship speaker anymore.Here is my equipment:Pioneer VSX-1015 ReceiverPanasonic 58 inch PX60 Plasma (It is NOT 720p, it is 768P!)Oppo BDP-83Roku box with digital audio to the receiver, and hdmi Dune Duo Media ServerDish VIP722kAxiom M80's (main L & R)Axiom vp-150 (center)Axiom Qs8 (surround)Logitech Harmony RemoteMy Receiver was beginning to show it's age, with no HDMI connections, but then I realized I could connect the video directly to the Plasma. Bamn! Receiver was as good as new!The Logitech Harmony remote makes the necessity of sending the video thru the AV receiver un-necessary. I love the sound of my receiver, do not even think of upgrading. I am bi-amping my M80's too!Having only two HDMI connections on my Plasma bothered me, until I realized that a simple HDMI switcher solved my problem, and since HDMI is a digital connection, there is no signal degredation.My Plasma is not 1080p, and I really want a 1080p plasma, but every night when I watch my TV, I ask myself, how much better can the picture be? And, all dish programming except PPV is 1080i/720p anyway (I use 720p on the dish receiver, I think it is a better selection than 1080i)The Roku and Dun Duo are both connected via digital audio to the Pioneer receiver. Actually, all my audio is digital to the receiver. I could connect my Oppo to my Receiver with 5 channel analog, supposedly that would be even better, but there is already too many damn wires back there! And I am very happy with the Blu-Ray sound now!My next purchase will probably be a Panasonic ZT60-65 inch plasma. That is, unless I can see OLED 4k starting to get in my price range in the near future (looks like fat chance of that happening!)Where was I going with all of this? Oh yea, I bet if I looked, I could find flaws in my Axioms, and find better (maybe just different) alternatives to my system. Heck, I would bet my 2005 Axiom Audio system is not as good as a 2013 Axiom system!However, I am very pleased with my system, and I have assembled a "very close" to reference AV system, at a price that I could afford. So, in summary, I am a very happy Axiom owner, and I have been "cured" of my constant search to find the perfect AV system. And this was an obsession of mine, from high school (let's say 1977 or so) to around 2005 or so.Now I "just" enjoy my system!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk
post #1418 of 1424 Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am planning on getting 3 in-wall m22 for front stage and 2 QS8 for the surround. What receiver would be recommended?
post #1419 of 1424 Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 PM

You might want to post in the new thread as I pointed out in post # 1418 above.

Anyway, I use a mid-range Denon 7.1 AVR with Audyssey from a couple of years ago with my bookshelf M22s + twin Velo 10" subs. I believe that it puts out 100W/Ch & I use it only in 5.1. Nothing in my system is high end but it all works just fine as a HT in a medium size room. I normally run my level at -10 Db at 11 feet back as most movies are just too loud above that.

Be sure to get one that has some kind of Audyssey (or competing technology) to help equalize your sound to your room for movies...

TAM
post #1420 of 1424 Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Liked: 19
I have a pair of NIB M80s for sale if anyone is interested. I have a long story about how I came to be selling them. I'll regale truly possible buyers with the story. Shipping from Southern Ontario or pick up is a distinct possibility.
post #1421 of 1424 Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I'm new to the Axiom world and have a question for you guys about speaker placement:

I have a small room, that is approximately 12 x 12.5'. After searching for pretty much a full year I finally have a pair of Axiom QS4 surrounds coming in. These will complete my 5.1 setup (currently have Chase Home Theater Pro-10 and Sho-10 fronts and Outlaw EX sub).

My question is about placement: back wall vs side walls. The sofa in this room is approximately 6" off the rear wall. I know that this isn't far enough away for "rear surrounds" to be effective, and that surrounds should be placed 90*-110* from listening position, but there is a doorway on one of the side walls (see pic).

I could place the speaker above this doorway, but the distance between the top of the doorway and the ceiling is only 14"...which means the top-firing woofer of the QS4 would only have ~7.5" clearance from the ceiling at most. Also, if I had these in-line (that is, 90* from listening position) then the rear-facing tweeter would only have 4-5" clearance from the rear wall.

I understand that the whole idea of the Axiom surrounds' design is to be forgiving in placement and effectively disperse sound for surround audio, but do they have a "limit" of placement restrictions?

I have heard a 5.1 setup in the local Best Buy Magnolia room which had surrounds located on the rear wall and I enjoyed the setup very much. However, I would prefer NOT to have mine on the rear wall as it is drywall, and I have already put all kinds of holes in it mounting my projectors redface.gif

post #1422 of 1424 Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 AM

I have a pair of QS4s as well that work very well despite my less than ideal room shape - basically they are off centered behind my listening area. Audyssey compensates nicely for that condition. The QS's unique design make them very forgiving for placement.

I haven't watched this video but this is a new one at the Axiom site that might help:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/speaker-placement-series-part-1/

This morning I'm setting up my new VP160 CC into my system. This thing is big, ha!

Good luck...

TAM
post #1423 of 1424 Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm considering the QS4 as side surrounds in a fairly narrow room, then probably the M2 bookshelf to go with them for the rear channels, which are a ways back from the back row.

Are these bipole or dipole or some funky hybrid? Anyone know more about how they work?

I have soffits on the sides that come down pretty far. I'd be placing the QS4 probably about 1' to 1.5' down from the soffit. Is it a problem if the driver on top is firing into the soffit surface above? How much space do you think there should be from the top of the QS4 to the surface above, like a ceiling or soffit? If I'm too close to something above, should I go with a traditional bipole or dipole side surround?

Thanks!

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #1424 of 1424 Old 05-06-2014, 11:20 AM

I utilize the QS8V4s now after recently trading up from the QS4V3s; however, due to the nature of surround content, I don't really notice a whole lot of difference between the 2 models.

The QS models are actually 'quadpolar' speakers that are designed to fill the back part of the room with a larger sound field than other types. They work very well in this role & are highly thought of.

Mine are attached to the wall at mid-wall height with the supplied powered mounts that are just a great gizmo. I would think that the distance from your soffit would cause no problem with this design.

Read about them here & perhaps direct your queries to Axiom's Forum there where the brand experts hang out :

http://www.axiomaudio.com/qs4-surround-sound-speakers

TAM
danielrg likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page