Official Axiom Owner's Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got an interesting one for you Axiom guys. My Dad is using the EP400 that I bought last year and he sent me this email today:

Quote:

About a week ago one evening I was sitting at the computer, with the AV equipment in the room NOT turned on. A noise started - a low rumbling that grew in volume until I could feel it - and loud enough such that I thought someone had rolled up on the driveway in a poorly-muffled Harley roadster. I actually got up - looked out the window and saw nothing, ran downstairs only to find the sound was gone. I came back up, and the sound had mostly dissipated, but was still there - emanating from the Axiom sub.

I turned on the TV, and when the audio engaged, the noise ceased, hasn't been back yet to my knowledge - but it was surprising that the sub could initiate sound and significant volume on its own - no driving signal.

This morning, I came up to check the weather forecast for skiing later, and heard this low thump..thump-thump coming from it, like a ghastly heartbeat in the machine. I turned on the TV to cause it to cease, and it DIDN'T I have Denon on to drive it and it's still thump.thump-thumping away. Weird

So I dragged it out from under the cabinet, pulled out the line-in cable, and it continued thumping. I toggled the power off, and finally got silence. Restoring power yielded no stray noises, and it's now plugged back in to the Denon again working OK.

But something's amiss Not sure what or why, but it seems to have a mind of its own FYI

Waiting to receive the serial # from him before I shoot an email off to tech support, but thought you all might know what's going on with the sub.

Jeremy Gillow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG! It's the Tale Tale Sub!!!!
...sorry couldn't resist... that is quite odd

It's all about the sound!
post #213 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

You mean "Tell-Tale" sub

Jeremy Gillow
post #214 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRugby View Post

Excellent. I just got the 3808 as well. How do you find the stage with the center mounted above?

It's fine. I can't really tell where the 150 is located. And that's the way it ought to be! I did tilt it down a bit so that it faces the couch directly.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #215 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

Got an interesting one for you Axiom guys. My Dad is using the EP400 that I bought last year and he sent me this email today:

[snip: Subwoofer making noise by itself]

Waiting to receive the serial # from him before I shoot an email off to tech support, but thought you all might know what's going on with the sub.

Over at Axiom forum, Alan had posted that under very specific conditions, the subwoofer can fire due to some type of feedback. But if all your audio was off, I don't think this is the same thing. Are you sure your dad had the DVD/TV/Etc turned off?

Or, maybe it's a ground loop? Next time, you should ask your father to *UNPLUG* the cable coming into the set top box. I had to use a ground isolator to remove the hum from my sub (coming from the cable company)

http://www.axiomaudio.com/tips_eliminate_hum.html

Thanks,
Hansang
post #216 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 01:46 PM

Liked: 11
Just to follow up on my mounting dilemma. I decided to mount the QS8's on the axiom brackets and be done with it. When I went into the garage and measured the HT chairs I came to the conclusion that they were long enough to block traffic directly under the right mid surround. Seems like I should be ok in that regard. Pic below:

Also decided to mount the Vp150 on a custom sized stand so that I can move it forward when the time comes to put up the masquerade. Thanks for everyone's input.

The Fog Valley Cinema Build Thread.

Home Theater, Basement Entertainment Area Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #217 of 1424 Old 03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster View Post

Just to follow up on my mounting dilemma. I decided to mount the QS8's on the axiom brackets and be done with it. When I went into the garage and measured the HT chairs I came to the conclusion that they were long enough to block traffic directly under the right mid surround. Seems like I should be ok in that regard. Pic below:
[snip: nice pic removed, avail here: http://www.drivinghamster.smugmug.co...097#133566920]

Also decided to mount the Vp150 on a custom sized stand so that I can move it forward when the time comes to put up the masquerade. Thanks for everyone's input.

I just checked out your site. Damn...very nice! Clearly, it was a work of love. What AVR/Projector do you have? I think I missed your list of equipment.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #218 of 1424 Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks Zzyzx242. Unfortunately it failed the WAF test, too modern. However, I had checked out a diferent Furnitech, FT72TR a while back, and it didn't seem to fit the Axiom. I took another look, and it look slike the center opening might be 28" without the drawer installed. I called Eric Furnitech, and he said he'd have a guy look into it on Monday for me to be sure. So thanks for sending me back to the site.

I checked out:
Bello WAVS-330, btu it has a center post now, probably because the old ones were bowing
BDI Avion - failed the WAF text
BDI Novia, but even without the drawer, it sounds like the center opening will be .5" too small (my personal favorite)
Plateau Corp SRV-75 - big enough, I would leave the doors off, but that rail would likely still be there. Not sure if I will like it.

I guess it will be either Furnitech, or settle for the metal/glass combo. Or maybe have someone cutom make one I guess.

What are the dimensions of the component you are trying to fit?

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
post #219 of 1424 Old 03-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash View Post

What are the dimensions of the component you are trying to fit?

HxWXD 7.5" x 27.5" x 7.5"
post #220 of 1424 Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM

I have a budget of about $750 for my L/C/R speakers.

I definitely want to audition some Axioms.

I was originally limiting myself to using 3 identical 6.5" two-way speakers across the front. I am now considering the possibility using a dedicated center channel speaker -- if it has good off-axis response (many W-T-W designs have problems with lobing). This would allow the use of larger L/R speakers (the M22 v2s in this case) which I'm hearing may be a better choice for my room size.

As I see it, my options are:

1) Three (3) M3 v2s
2) Two (2) M3 v2s and a VP100 v2 center
3) Two M22 v2s and a VP100 v2 center (the VP150 v2 center would put me over budget).

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!
post #221 of 1424 Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson33 View Post

I have a budget of about $750 for my L/C/R speakers.

I definitely want to audition some Axioms.

I was originally limiting myself to using 3 identical 6.5" two-way speakers across the front. I am now considering the possibility using a dedicated center channel speaker -- if it has good off-axis response (many W-T-W designs have problems with lobing). This would allow the use of larger L/R speakers (the M22 v2s in this case) which I'm hearing may be a better choice for my room size.

As I see it, my options are:

1) Three (3) M3 v2s
2) Two (2) M3 v2s and a VP100 v2 center
3) Two M22 v2s and a VP100 v2 center (the VP150 v2 center would put me over budget).

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!

I don't have any experience with the speakers yet (they should be coming soon ). However, if you use the Outlet on their site, you could get close to your $750 number (like $40 over) with option 3. Everything I've read here points to the outlet speakers being perfect with minor blemishes that are most often not visible.

You can also check their forums for owners in your area willing to audition the speakers for you, if that interests you.

Hope that at least helps a bit.
post #222 of 1424 Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:

I don't have any experience with the speakers yet (they should be coming soon ). However, if you use the Outlet on their site, you could get close to your $750 number (like $40 over) with option 3. Everything I've read here points to the outlet speakers being perfect with minor blemishes that are most often not visible.

You can also check their forums for owners in your area willing to audition the speakers for you, if that interests you.

Hope that at least helps a bit.

That definitely helps, thank you!

I swear I'm not trying to be a PITA, but I was just reminded that S&V really didn't like the VP150, so I'm assuming the VP100 wouldn't fare any better.

I'm leaning toward plan A which is three M3s across the front.

I'm planning to order them tonight or tomorrow.
post #223 of 1424 Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson33 View Post

That definitely helps, thank you!

I swear I'm not trying to be a PITA, but I was just reminded the S&V really didn't like the VP150, so I'm assuming the VP100 wouldn't fare any better.

I'm leaning toward plan A which is three M3s across the front.

I'm planning to order them tonight or tomorrow.

Well, the vp100 and vp150 seem to be significantly different designs. So I'm not sure if that would necessarily be the case, but I don't know because I have not heard either. Good luck.

I'll be posting my thoughts on the speakers once they arrive and get set up. Set to ship on March 25th.
post #224 of 1424 Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 PM

The M3 v2s have been ordered.

I currently have both B&W 685s and av123 Rocket RS250MkIIs to compare them to.

I will probably report the results in my thread titled:

"Your suggestions for 6.5" two-way L/C/R speakers in $500/pair range?"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007660
post #225 of 1424 Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

I just checked out your site. Damn...very nice! Clearly, it was a work of love. What AVR/Projector do you have? I think I missed your list of equipment.

We are running a Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB. I should update my equipment list and put it near the top.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #226 of 1424 Old 03-19-2008, 02:41 PM

As an aside I recently took delivery of the new center channel stand from Axiom, the FMS CC. It seems well built and rather sturdy but perhaps just a little too over priced. Had mine custom cut to 15 inches instead of the stock 16 inches (same price). Fits my needs perfectly.

post #227 of 1424 Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to follow up my earlier post about the malfunctioning EP400 sub and say that Axiom is going to send out a replacement amp to my Dad after having him run some additional tests. Thanks Axiom

If anybody wants to see the video clip it's here but I don't know for how long:
http://www.onlinefilefolder.com/inde...1ebaa081868afe
The camera mic is distorting pretty bad though.

Jeremy Gillow
post #228 of 1424 Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM

Hi all,

I was about to order SVS SBS-01s and then I took some measurments.. the front speakers will be to big coming off my stairs... depth is the issue I can manage probably <8" from wall when mounted..

http://picasaweb.google.com/bansell/...47522675193954

So I started looking around at on-walls and I stumbled across Axiom on/in walls and really liked them (online anway )
Axiom (2) W22 (1) W150 -- Surrounds Axiom QS4V2

Before pulling the trigger on these on-walls I would like to hear opinons.. (any other suggestions welcome.. I have a Yamaha RX-V2700 to drive the system..and will be buying a front projector soon). I will also most likely be picking up a SVS sub.

Has anyone heard these W22 and W150s?

Any information appreciated..

-Bill

Other on-walls I am considering:

(2)Also read good things about these NHT
NHT (3) L5s -- Surrounds ???? undecided

(3) NHT Verve IV

(4) Klipsch (3) RVX-42 -- Surround (2) RS-42

(5) RBH wm-25 Surrounds ???? undecided

(6) Tweater pushing Focal SIBs
post #229 of 1424 Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

The W series is said to sound extremely similar, if not identical, to the regular line M22s and VP150, if you could audition a set of those then you would have a pretty good idea of what they sound like.
So far as surrounds, I haven't heard anything that comes close to the envelopment the Axiom QS series offers.
post #230 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM

I just wanted to chime in and announce my recent purchase of a 5.1 Axiom Setup:

M60v2 Fronts
VP150v2 Center
QS8v2 Surrounds
EP500v2

The speakers will be driven by a Marantz sr7002 receiver. I just hope my room is up to the challenge to provide good acoustics.

The excitement is overwhelming. I hope to be wowed in the next few days. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your insight and recommendations.
post #231 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt McGurt View Post

I just wanted to chime in and announce my recent purchase of a 5.1 Axiom Setup:

M60v2 Fronts
VP150v2 Center
QS8v2 Surrounds
EP500v2

The speakers will be driven by a Marantz sr7002 receiver. I just hope my room is up to the challenge to provide good acoustics.

The excitement is overwhelming. I hope to be wowed in the next few days. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your insight and recommendations.

Congrats!

I have almost the same exact set up, except M80s. Got from the factory outlet.

They arrived today, but I am stuck at work. The suspense is killing me.

Can't wait to hook them up to my Denon 3808 and let em rock. The kids will not be sleeping tonight!
post #232 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 PM

I'll trade you my M60s for your M80s. Ha J/K

Hopefully work will fly-by. Definitely let us know what you think when they are all hooked up.. and kids don't need sleep anyways.

Good Luck
post #233 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

You guys are in for a treat. I have owned Axioms for 4 years now and recently bought the M60s only to decide to upgrade to the M80s after not liking the slightly more laid back vocals of the M60s compared to my M22s. Although I do wish I could have sent the M22s back and kept the M60s.

ND the 3808 drives the M80s extremly well, I also have one. I love that GUI and the network connectivity. I have ripped all my CDs ripped into FLAC files and have them on a Network Attached Storage and every thing works flawlessly.
post #234 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM

I absolutely love the way my 80's sound with my Denon 4806CI. Denon's drive the 4ohm speakers without a hint of strain or clipping and I have listened to them at loud levels (-10db) for prolonged periods of time. You won't be disapointed, have fun!
post #235 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash View Post

You guys are in for a treat. I have owned Axioms for 4 years now and recently bought the M60s only to decide to upgrade to the M80s after not liking the slightly more laid back vocals of the M60s compared to my M22s. Although I do wish I could have sent the M22s back and kept the M60s.

ND the 3808 drives the M80s extremly well, I also have one. I love that GUI and the network connectivity. I have ripped all my CDs ripped into FLAC files and have them on a Network Attached Storage and every thing works flawlessly.

Well, got home and Fedex messed up. They left 2 boxes out. 1 QS8 and one of my outdoor speakers. I am one speaker short of 5.1

Anyway, I have been inspecting them, since I bought from factory outlet, and I can't find anything wrong with them.

I too love the network feature on the denon. I bought the Algonquin outdoors from Axiom also and plan to control them as a second zone using my iphone, home wifi and the denon network feature.

Nothing like sitting on the deck, cranking the tunes and enjoying a cold one...
post #236 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Nothing like sitting on the deck, cranking the tunes and enjoying a cold one...

...and a cold one enjoying a great football rivalry game.
post #237 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

In regards to the thumping mentioned above, my 600 did that once, there was a thunderstorm in the area at the time. Power cycling off/on the sub took care of the noise. Like your dad I thought it was thunder or a harley in the vicinity.

My Website
post #238 of 1424 Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

...and a cold one enjoying a great football rivalry game.

No doubt, and we've had some good ones (although you've had our number lately). Can't wait to have these going during an ND/SC game (when I'm not in attendance).
post #239 of 1424 Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 AM

I am looking at getting the EPIC 60 500 system. I currently own an Onkyo 705receiver. Anyone else here use one of these receivers? I am thinking about upgrading to the 805, not sure yet. Any input is appreciated.

Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.
post #240 of 1424 Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM

Fedex delivered the final 2 speakers yesterday. I had everythiing ready for them, so it took little time to get everything plugged in.

First, the Algonquins outside are mounted on wall brackets on my deck. They sound great. loud enough to fill the 600 sq ft deck and then some. I was able to connect to my wifi network with my iPhone, turn on Zone 2 of my Denon 3808 and control Internet Radio and volume. Cool feature for those looking for a receiver. I wired the outdoor speakers using 12 gauge low voltage lighting cable. It's cheaper than outdoor speaker wire, has much better shielding, and is the same thing. It works great and is much cheaper. You can find 200' rolls at Lowes for around $120.

For the 5.1, I've got it the QS8s on the Axiom stands, the vp150 on top of the tv (an old HD rear projection CRT with a flat top), for now, until I get the new set and stand. And the M80s set up about 7' from the center fo the TV.

Spent a little time configuring the receiver, but probably need more. I just wanted to get to watching a movie. Fired up Black Hawk Down for the consistent action, bullet firing and explosions. WOW! The sound is amazing. The voices come in crystal clear and the explosions rock. I have a big basement that's wide open, so I don't have four walls around my HT area. The speakers fill the space really well and sound terrific even though I am about 14' from the TV and there is open space between the front speakers and the seating (no side walls).

So after one movie and little set up, I'm already really happy with these speakers. I had an old school Sony 5 speaker set up (probably somewhere in the 10-15 year range), I di dnot know what I wiss missing.

Thanks to all on here that posted their thoughts on Axiom. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you're going Axiom, and you can wait a few weeks, I highly recommend using Factory Outlet on their site, you save money and the speakers are still perfect.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Axiom , Speaker Systems , Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page