Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 6914 Old 08-27-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Brandon -

Nice job on the choice of veneer and black accents. Those are very handsome speakers. The finish looks impeccable!

I'm very happy that this day has finally come for you. Enjoy those speakers for a very long time and don't sweat the little stuff.

What's the price on those again?

- Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 6914 Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Simple, it's easier\\cleaner to cut a circle in a baffle than a rectangle

Actually, the LCY ribbon requires a circle and a rectangle cut in a thick baffle.
These little guys are interesting drivers.
The ribbon itself is lighter than light but the rest of the assembly is literally built like a tank.

Thanks, sounds like a fragile item. Do ribbons last decades like tweeters or are there problems?
post #3303 of 6914 Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Thatś a beautiful looking speaker. Does the ribbon version cost more than the standard version?
post #3304 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

The kid's a pro--she even insisted on an outfit change. Could you describe the aluminum baffle a little--are those stripes actual protrusions, as in corrugations, or is the surface flat?

LOL, the lass is probably happy with the extra $2.5k pocket money she just earned!
Consider yourself lucky Nuance, most models do not get out of bed for less than 10k

Like others have said, stunning look and I would have to say definitely one of the very best looking finishes not just in general but I would say even compared to other Salk's.

Enjoy
DT
post #3305 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance many congrats buddy!!!!
post #3306 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Okay, I'll try to answer all your questions to the best of my ability.

First, thanks to everyone for the support. I'd never have gotten to this point without you all, not to mention I've met some great people along the way. That is truly priceless and worth much more than a pair of speakers, IMO. You guys are awesome!h

The LCY SongTower's are covered in Santos Rosewood and are a little browner than the pictures might let on. They are covered in a hand rubbed glossy finish and have the most incredible wood grain patterns that I have ever seen on any speaker, period.

The SongTower's sport the new anodized front aluminum baffle, which looks amazing if you ask me (even better in person). I'll have to double check, but I do believe that the service is flat and not corrugated. It has a unique feel to it, not smooth but also not rough. As Funkmonkey said, I think those marks are present because of the mill and the anodizing process, but Jim will correct me. Whatever the marks are from, they look amazing and give the speaker some character. When you move around the speaker the lines also move, giving a 3-Dimensional look to the baffle. Awesome!

The cost of a custom veneered pair of SongTower's starts at $1995 and goes up from there. The extra cost of the new baffle and tweeter design is $700, and the hand rubbed high gloss is another extra charge, of course. I've still got plenty of time to put in with them, but if you want to know if I think the upgrade is worth it, so far I'd say yes. I'm only comparing based off my memory, but the ribbon seems to complete that 3rd dimension if you will. What was an already incredible high frequency response has been refined with an added transparency and smootheness that seems to extend into eternity - just what I was looking for. The sound is neither too bright or too laid back, but "just right" to my ears. However, as mentioned above, I still have plenty of listening to do. I'm also having an issue with my Audyssey programseems to make the right speaker's reproduction of the cymbals and high hats softer. This could be due to my room configuration in that the left speaker is 3 feet from a side wall while the right speaker has a 10 x 12 opening next to it. Perhaps the left speaker's reproduction of the cymbals and high hats is louder due to room reflection, at least I hope so. Either way, I was under the assumption that Audyssey should fix this, but it seems to make it more apparent (it's less apparent if I simply level match and use no EQ). Anyone have any advice concerning this? Is there a way to ensure the tweeters are outputting at the same level throughout their given FR range?

I'll let Jim answer the other questions, especially the one about the circular design of the LCY ribbon tweeter and its implementation.

Warpdrv, I'm going to have to have you over for a listen soon. I'll be out of town for the next two weekends, but we'll set something up, perhaps during the week after work hours. Until then, I'm getting a security system put in just because of you.

Thanks everyone - more to come soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #3307 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Did you call in sick today?

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #3308 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance, it is certainly a very unique and bold grain pattern which is very cool! It is perhaps some of the most brown Santos Rosewood I have seen; I think of it has having much more of a red tone to it generally. Yours almost looks more in line with a Macassar to me.

I hope these help Jim to reserect the speaker of the month club
post #3309 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I did not call in sick today, but I should have.

I think it's a bold look as well, but I am in love with it. What a looker!

post #3310 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I did not call in sick today, but I should have.

Yeah....you do not seem yourself today. I think you should go home.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #3311 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That Santos Rosewood looks stunning. Its good to know their glossiness is Jim's hand rubbed finish.

I was afraid you had drooled all over them .

Those LCY ribbon tweeters come with a round mounting plate. I believe they are the same tweeter as in the Salk HT2 and V3 models. The G2 tweeter (in the HT1, HTC, and HT3) has the rectangular plate.
post #3312 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Nuance - absolutely incredible! The baffle...oh my god!! I love it! I wonder if Jim will offer that as a standard upgrade seperate from the LCY ribbon?? I can't wait for your review and some more pics.
I definitely think you should call in sick...If we have to, we will start a poll and majority vote wins! Actually not in my state or Florida, but that is besides the point..
Enjoy the Music!!
post #3313 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is Jim's post. I will let loose this evening.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1656

post #3314 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Nuance,

Those look great in the pictures and I bet they are truly stunning in person. I cannot think of any other product that offers such a top notch world class veneer/fit and finish at this price point. Enjoy-

Buddy

Buddy
post #3315 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Until then, I'm getting a security system put in just because of you.

Thanks everyone - more to come soon.

I just had one installed too
post #3316 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm also having an issue with my Audyssey programseems to make the right speaker's reproduction of the cymbals and high hats softer. This could be due to my room configuration in that the left speaker is 3 feet from a side wall while the right speaker has a 10 x 12 opening next to it. Perhaps the left speaker's reproduction of the cymbals and high hats is louder due to room reflection, at least I hope so. Either way, I was under the assumption that Audyssey should fix this, but it seems to make it more apparent (it's less apparent if I simply level match and use no EQ). Anyone have any advice concerning this? Is there a way to ensure the tweeters are outputting at the same level throughout their given FR range?

Brandon -

As long as you are following the steps in the link below, you are calibrating Audyssey correctly. You may still not like the results, but that comes down to personal preference.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Just to make sure that both of your speakers are functioning properly, you may want to swap the position of the left and right speakers. If the softer sound remains in the right speaker (which now what used to be the left speaker), then you know it is your room. If the softer sound is now in the left speaker, then there is a problem with the speaker. I hope it isn't the later.

- Tim

post #3317 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Tim -

Thanks bro; I did just that. Thankfully the issue remained with the speaker on the right, even after I swapped speakers. So the room seems to be the issue. Oh well...not much I can do about that.

Thanks for the link, Tim. I will attempt to run Audyssey again this weekend to see if I did something wrong the first time. Hopefully it will bring everything into line.

Thanks again, hifisponge.

post #3318 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I sure love how these turned out.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #3319 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Those Salks ar dead sexy baby! Rwoow!

Now, at the other end of the sexy spectrum would be these:

- Tim

post #3320 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More more more!

I really want to spend some more time with these speakers before I write up a full review. I'll be gone this weekend but will return late Sunday night/early Monday morning. After I awaken, I'll eat breakfast, put in a bunch of time with the ST's and finally start writing my review. I hope to have it finished and up by Monday, Labor Day.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #3321 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Holy smokes, Tim! What are those? They are very artistic, that's for sure.

post #3322 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim's speaker this week
post #3323 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM

WOW! Those are the best looking ST I have seen. Also like the looks of the new baffle. Congrats Nuance! Enjoy your new speakers! I'll have to be satisfied with my "plain Jane" ST.
post #3324 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Tim's speaker this week

Zing!

All kidding aside, I don't see Tim owning those, ever. He's a aesthetics whore, remember? Still, if they sound good...

Tim - have you narrowed your next purchase down? I know you're looking at monitors, but have you had a change to narrow that list down and/or audition anything?

post #3325 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zing!

All kidding aside, I don't see Tim owning those, ever. He's a aesthetics whore, remember? Still, if they sound good...

Tim - have you narrowed your next purchase down? I know you're looking at monitors, but have you had a change to narrow that list down and/or audition anything?

Nuance, he bought those. I was being serious. Those are the next speakers for Tim.
post #3326 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I stand corrected on the the groove thang.
Personally, I would leave the grills off.
The ST ribbons have got to be one of the best buys in audio and the looks are killer.
Anyone thinking of STs and having the budget won't regret it.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #3327 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Nuance, he bought those. I was being serious. Those are the next speakers for Tim.

WOW..so Tim is parting with his Revels?? I thought he was looking at Classe, tube, power-amp trying to tune out the problem he was having..
Didn't realize he decided to change the direction completely...
post #3328 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zing!

So a guy can't be an aesthetics whore and like something "artistic"? Or is "artistic" your polite way of saying "ugly'?

Anyhoo, those are the Wilson-Benesch "Discovery" speakers. Even though I have never heard them, I have lusted after them for many years, purely for their industrial design and all of the forward-thinking tech that has gone into them.

They're actually quite an interesting design. The thing that WB is most proud of is that the majority of the cabinet it made of carbon fiber, with internal bracing made from CNC machined 1" thick aluminum blanks and 1/4" steel everywhere else. They believe that the cabinet is the most acoustically inert in the industry and they have quite the disdain for the common use of MDF in high-end speakers. Not that I think there is problem with MDF if the cabinet designer has taken appropriate measures to address resonances, but I have to admit that I would have thought that more high-end speaker makers would look to something other than MDF for their cabinets.

Next up is a very special mid / woofer. It was custom designed by WB and in addition to being dead sexy (for a driver), it's all form follows function. The basket is aerodynamically designed to present the least amount of reflected energy back into cone. The magnet structure is also purposely small and rounded for the same reason, requiring the use of Neodymium magnets to make up for the smaller size. And the cone is a multilayered poly design with a woven inner core and polymer skins attached with high heat and high pressure.

What is just about as cool as the carbon fiber cabinet is the isobaric woofer configuration. You'll notice that there is a woofer driver's backside protruding from the bottom of the cabinet. That is one half of the isobaric woofer clamshell. The other woofer faces this one inside the cabinet and the two operate in a push-pull arrangement.

The tweeter is more conventional, but in my opinion it is one of the best off-the-shelf soft domes out therethe Scan Speak Revelator. It is a tweaked WB design, but regardless, I have heard this tweeter several times and it is very sweet, extended and delicate sounding.

So with a tweeter, a dedicated midrange and two woofers crammed into the space of a bookshelf speaker cabinet what you have is somewhere between a stand-mount speaker and a floorstanding speaker, or what WB calls a micro-floorstander.

Cool huh?

I've always wanted to hear these speakers, but there are no dealers in my area. However, I found a lightly used pair on Agon for a good price, so I'm going to buy them blind and give them a listen. On paper they certainly seem promising, and they meet my recent requirement of using more forgiving materials in their drivers.

- Tim

post #3329 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

WOW..so Tim is parting with his Revels?? I thought he was looking at Classe, tube, power-amp trying to tune out the problem he was having..
Didn't realize he decided to change the direction completely...

I'm a hopeless case wouldn't you agree?

- Tim

post #3330 of 6914 Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I'm a hopeless case wouldn't you agree?

Seriously? You are getting rid of the Revels?

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page