My Journey to find the "perfect" speaker... - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nuance -

Hey, Tim here. Interesting to see that you are still on the hunt. I thought this thread was dead after you picked up the Rockets. I know just what you are talking about when you say that the hunt is almost as fun as finding what you want. I get the feeling that you and I aren't not alone here.

I enjoy reading your take on the speakers you listen to because I can tell you are impartial, unlike the comments made in the numerous "owners" threads. Of course those people like their speakers, that's why they bought them. Choosing the Sierra's over the Dyns is proof alone that you are unbiased or influenced by the it costs more, therefore it must be better POV. Refreshing.

I hope you don't mind if I give you some feedback on a couple of comments you made. You mention that the Sierra's lacked an open, airy sound, and you give a loose theory that it may be due to the small size of the speaker. Actually, "air" and openness are a trait of the HF response, extension and dispersion. Air comes from the upper most high frequencies (10-20 KHz). If the tweeter has limited off-axis dispersion, in a moderately furnished room the upper most treble will sound rolled off. The size of the speaker has no impact on its ability to sound open and airy, only the performance of the tweeter. You also mention that the midrange sounded a bit recessed, but make the statement that crossing the speaker over to a sub would probably change this. A midrange that sounds recessed actually comes from a dip in the lower treble / upper mids (800Hz - 3KHz), which is well above the 60-100Hz crossover point used for most subs. Now had you said they sounded a little thin, lean or dry, then a sub can help with this a bit.

One last thing. Like many high-end speakers, when you buy the Dynaudio's, you aren't just paying for potentially better sound quality, you are paying for the added cost of the speaker being manufactured in Denmark rather than China, and you are paying for the name and reputation of the brand.

As you know from some recent PM's between us, I just plunked down a large sum for a set of Focal Electra Be speakers. I am at the point in my life that I can afford such luxuries (barely ), but I know that a large part of the cost goes into the beautiful cabinetry and the fact that they are still made in France. Heck, I wish they were made in China, as it would have probably cost me half as much.

Cheers,

- Tim
hifisponge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post


I hope you don’t mind if I give you some feedback on a couple of comments you made. You mention that the Sierra's lacked an “open, airy” sound, and you give a loose theory that it may be due to the small size of the speaker. Actually, "air" and “openness” are a trait of the HF response, extension and dispersion. “Air” comes from the upper most high frequencies (10-20 KHz). If the tweeter has limited off-axis dispersion, in a moderately furnished room the upper most treble will sound rolled off. The size of the speaker has no impact on its ability to sound open and airy, only the performance of the tweeter. You also mention that the midrange sounded a bit recessed, but make the statement that crossing the speaker over to a sub would probably change this. A midrange that sounds recessed actually comes from a dip in the lower treble / upper mids (800Hz – 3KHz), which is well above the 60-100Hz crossover point used for most subs. Now had you said they sounded a little thin, lean or dry, then a sub can help with this a bit.

One last thing. Like many high-end speakers, when you buy the Dynaudio’s, you aren’t just paying for potentially better sound quality, you are paying for the added cost of the speaker being manufactured in Denmark rather than China, and you are paying for the name and reputation of the brand.

Thanks for the kind words, Tim. I always appreciate your insight.

You are correct; airiness has nothing to do with the size of the speakers. It was just a loose theory that I through out there. It is possible that the treble was lightly rolling off, but it may have had to do more with the room interaction than anything else. I say this because when I got home and hooked my rocket's back up, they were an entirely different animal (better bass response and just more full sounding).

As for the midrange, it was a tad recessed at times, but if I implied it could be fixed by crossing the speaker over, it was unintentionally. What I meant was that the thinness of the speaker may be cured by crossing over the speaker to a subwoofer. At times, when pushed pretty hard, the speaker sounded a bit thin (I mentioned it in the original review). This "thinness" that I was speaking of had more to do with the bass response and the lack of a "full" sound. Crossing over to a sub may very well open up the midrange a tad, but it will effect the bass and midbass more than anything, perhaps giving me that fuller sound and ridding the speaker of that occasional thinness.

I hope that clears things up.

P.S. This thread will never stay dormant as long as I continue to audition speakers...which will likely never cease.

Edit: You're right, I did say that the midrange recession could be cured by crossing over to a sub. My fault! I certainly did not mean to phrase it that way, thus I changed the original post. I meant that the thinness may be cured by crossing over to a sub and that the midrange may open up a bit due to this. Thanks for pointing that out pal (I need to re-read what I type before posting).

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #633 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Tmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nuance--Sounds like you are on the right path with your speaker quest...and having a lot of fun. If I can make one suggestion: you may want to consider the Usher BE-718s. These speakers while sounding vastly different than the "Dyn sound" may be just what you are looking for.

Tyler Mueller


Next Level Audio and Video
www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Tmueller is offline  
post #634 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

Nuance--Sounds like you are on the right path with your speaker quest...and having a lot of fun. If I can make one suggestion: you may want to consider the Usher BE-718s. These speakers while sounding vastly different than the "Dyn sound" may be just what you are looking for.

Thanks guy. I don't suppose you sell them? If so, I'll be sure to swing in there sometime soon.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #635 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Alimentall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home by the sea
Posts: 14,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by srckkmack View Post

I'm with you Nuance. The Sierra's sounded better than the Dyn's, at least from where I was standing. I was in the same location for both speakers; off to the right and standing. Maybe in the sweet spot the Dyn's would have shined, but off axis they did not. The woofer on the Dyn's washed out the highs. The highs sounded muddied if that's possible. Whereas the Sierra's were clear on the top end and had a nice solid bass.

First order crossovers will do that.

John
Alimentall is offline  
post #636 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
He does sell Usher, he was going to bring in the bookshelf, along with the Dyn's, but couldn't make the trip... I don't think we had enough time as it was for speaker auditions. Sadly enough to say... Next time we need to start at 7 am and work all day to 10 at night...
Warpdrv is offline  
post #637 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The Be-718 is a SWEET speaker! My local dealer carries them, and we had them here four or five months ago along with the S1.4, Swan D2.1SE, Outlaws, and my Sierras. I believe it was the favorite of the group out of what we had that day.

Beautiful looking and sounding.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #638 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The Be-718 is a SWEET speaker! My local dealer carries them, and we had them here four or five months ago along with the S1.4, Swan D2.1SE, Outlaws, and my Sierras. I believe it was the favorite of the group out of what we had that day.

Beautiful looking and sounding.

Cool. How much do they retail for?

Edit: Nervermind:they're $2800/pair For that price I could pick up a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig II's and a MFW-15 subwoofer.

Curtis, did you prefer the Usher's over the Sierra's? I personally think the Sierra's are a bargain for the asking price of $900/pair (piano gloss black finsih). The Usher's are over 3 times the price.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #639 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Cool. How much do they retail for?

Edit: Nervermind:they're $2800/pair For that price I could pick up a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig II's and a MFW-15 subwoofer.

Curtis, did you prefer the Usher's over the Sierra's? I personally think the Sierra's are a bargain for the asking price of $900/pair (piano gloss black finsih). The Usher's are over 3 times the price.

I would like to have a longer audition....really live with the speaker for a while rather than going back and forth. For me, it was that close. That said, and price not a factor, I would give you an absolute probably.

To me, being the "fanboy" that I am often called , I would put the Sierra up against anything, floorstander or bookshelf(there will be obvious differences because of size/volume)....I open my house up to anyone(GTG or not, and bring what you want), bring them places (within reason)....just make sure you have some good music! haha

I would also like another listen to KEF Ref 201/2. We also had those, and they sounded a tad bright/sharp, but we didn't play with the tweeter adjustments, and from reading, that would have made a significant difference. Downside, it retails for $5K/pr. YIKES!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #640 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Audition # 6

Dynaudio Contour S1.4 Bookshelf Speaker


I can safely say that this speaker was the overall group favorite of the day. It performed more like a small tower speaker than a bookshelf; however I was in the minority that didn't feel this speaker was worth the asking price of $3400/pair (not saying it was a bad speaker, just overpriced. I guess that's B&M for ya).

The Dynaudio C1.4 was the second bookshelf speaker to make me ponder whether or not the subwoofer was hooked up. This time, the subwoofer had been removed from the room entirely, so there was no doubt. The bass reached lower than the Sierra-1's, but it wasn't quite as tight and musical. In fact it was a little boomy and bloated for my tastes, something that may be alleviated by crossing over to a capable subwoofer. Nonetheless, we listened to all the speakers full range without a subwoofer, so I must be truthful about what I heard. I'd like to point out that this also could have been room interaction.

The tweeter on the Dynaudio's was pretty spot on, leaning slightly on the bright side of the spectrum. It produced airy and detailed highs without giving me listener fatigue, and in comparison to the Sierra-1's tweeter, had more of a zing and seemed more factual to what was actually on the recording. In a better treated room I am confident that the tweeter would sound a little smoother but without losing any detail (which would be right up my ally).

The spectral balance of the Dyn's sounded right most of the time, but occasionally the sloppy bass took longer to decay than the rest of the frequencies, so the transition to the midrange wasn't as seamless as I had expected from a $3400/pair speaker (some midrange detail loss). The midrange was warm and engaging, but in a couple of instances shile listening off-axisI could have sworn I heard some lobing - hard to tell because it wasn't an ideal listening environment, though. YMMV.

In the end, taking into consideration price, looks (a little aggressive and modern looking for me with the grill removed), build quality and performance, I enjoyed the Dynaudio 1.4's quite a bit, but I cannot justify the asking price. The build quality of the Sierra-1's was more solid in comparison, but the top end sparkle of the Dyn's was better and had that airiness I was looking for. The Dyn's were also superior in the midrange department. However, the "fat" bass causes me to want to re-evaluate them having them crossed over to capable subwoofer. But then you're talking another $600-$1000 for the sub plus the asking price of $3400/pair of the speakers. For that price I could purchase a full surround system comprised of the Sierra-1's, or even better, a pair of Salk Song Tower's with matching center channel or a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig's with matching center channel. I know what I'd choose, but I'll leave that decision up to you.

The Dynaudio Contour 1.4's gets two thumbs up, but I recommend trying them paired with a subwoofer, and only if you have expendable income available, as I can think of of some speakers I feel are superior for less money. Still, don't pass up the opportunity to give them an audition. They are one of the best bookshelf style speakers I've had the pleasure to hear. Dyn prides themselves on their build and design quality, and now that I have experienced that first hand I am a fan.

UPDATE: I had the chance to re-audition these at a B&M location, and I liked them a lot more the second time around. The room was treated, and the bass "boom" was gone. Definitely two thumbs way up, but I sure wish they retailed for less than $3099/pair (at least the was the price here in WI). Due to this, I slightly edited a few things from my above review.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #641 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I would like to have a longer audition....really live with the speaker for a while rather than going back and forth. For me, it was that close. That said, and price not a factor, I would give you an absolute probably.

To me, being the "fanboy" that I am often called , I would put the Sierra up against anything, floorstander or bookshelf(there will be obvious differences because of size/volume)....I open my house up to anyone(GTG or not, and bring what you want), bring them places (within reason)....just make sure you have some good music! haha

I would also like another listen to KEF Ref 201/2. We also had those, and they sounded a tad bright/sharp, but we didn't play with the tweeter adjustments, and from reading, that would have made a significant difference. Downside, it retails for $5K/pr. YIKES!

5K? That's a lot of doh for a bookshelf speaker. I'd rather pop for a nice full range tower at that price.

I don't think you're a fanboy, Curtis; just passionate about a product that you've deemed a great performer, especially for the price. However, I do understand why someone would think that way of you... Just know that I'm not on board with that group of people.

For what it's worth, I've been called a Pioneer Kuro fanboy. I own the 5080HD and think it blows away almost any other plasma TV out there, even Fujitsu and B&O products. I reply with the fact that I am not a faboy, just a fan of the most current superior product. I make it very clear that when something new comes out that is superior in performance for the same price, I'll then be a fan of that equipment and won't hesitate to preach to the world about it. I consider you to be in that same category, Curtis (the one I lump myself into - a fan of the best performance for the price).

Anyway, for the price of those Usher's, and without even hearing them, I'd be willing to bet I'd lean towards the Sierra-1's, just like I did between them and the Dyn's. Price plays a huge role for me, unless the performance increase truly is that much (in this case, it wasn't).

There, that should clear up some things.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #642 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I want a Pioneer Kuro! The plan is sometime this year.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #643 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I want a Pioneer Kuro! The plan is sometime this year.

It's worth every penny and is probably the best piece of A/V equipment I've ever purchased. A Kuro sure would look hot in between those awesome oak Sierra's, Curtis.

They are releasing the new 9th Gen in a few months, which are suppose to have an even better black level/contrast ratio. It just keeps getting better!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #644 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Tmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing to mention regarding the Dyn 1.4s (simply based on experience) is that room placement and proper coupling is critical. It would have been nice to have had them on their matching stand 4s half-filled per Dynaudios recommendation. I imagine that would have cleared up an bass "bloating" as these are quite large and dynamic bookshelves that truly benefit greatly from the integrated Stand 4s....

(Next time )

Tyler Mueller


Next Level Audio and Video
www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Tmueller is offline  
post #645 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
funkmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Nuance, funny thing just happened, I was setting up a link to your thread here, and I noticed that the Usher Be-718 came up this morning. The part that is funny about it is that I just spent a good chunk of time listening to them yesterday afternoon, and have been spending most of my morning posting my impressions of them, and building a thread that documents my speakerquest if you are interested. Thanks for the inspiration,
Cheers,
Greg

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
funkmonkey is offline  
post #646 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Nuance, funny thing just happened, I was setting up a link to your thread here, and I noticed that the Usher Be-718 came up this morning. The part that is funny about it is that I just spent a good chunk of time listening to them yesterday afternoon, and have been spending most of my morning posting my impressions of them, and building a thread that documents my speakerquest if you are interested. Thanks for the inspiration,
Cheers,
Greg

Wow Greg that is an impressive thread you've got going there!
I'm also fasinated with the Usher Tiny Dancers and actually have a pair coming to compare with my Sierra's
Some may feel the price differential between the two makes for an unfair comparison but I believe a lot of money went into the cabinet and build quality of the BE-718s and if those qualities are important, after all you not only listen to speakers you have to look at them as well, a potential buyer has to weigh in the WOW factor of pride of ownership. Let's face it most people, besides you, who are likely to see and hear the speakers probably don't have a clue what it takes for a speaker to sound better than another but they do know if they like what they see. Not that you should buy a speaker caring what others think, but sometimes when my system is turned off, not often, I'll pause while walking through the room just to admire how my system looks and of course to see where the money's gone
Anyway keep up the good/fun work and don't forget to include the Sierra's in your decision making process

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #647 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

One thing to mention regarding the Dyn 1.4s (simply based on experience) is that room placement and proper coupling is critical. It would have been nice to have had them on their matching stand 4s half-filled per Dynaudios recommendation. I imagine that would have cleared up an bass "bloating" as these are quite large and dynamic bookshelves that truly benefit greatly from the integrated Stand 4s....

(Next time )


Unfortunately, Dynfan's stands came with him and he was attempting to assemble them for the shootout, which is probably the reason he wanted to come early to the shootout to get his gear setup, but one of the stands had malfunctioned and the pressed in bolt that is supposed to be protruding, came loose and was rattling around inside the stand. He/we tried to recover it from inside, but needless to say, it has to be cut open and removed, so he gave up on it.

So his intent was there with the stands but as they say, &%$^ happens.
Warpdrv is offline  
post #648 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

A Kuro sure would look hot in between those awesome oak Sierra's, Curtis.

Yes it would...but the Sierras are bamboo!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #649 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
funkmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Wow Greg that is an impressive thread you've got going there!
I'm also fasinated with the Usher Tiny Dancers and actually have a pair coming to compare with my Sierra's
Some may feel the price differential between the two makes for an unfair comparison but I believe a lot of money went into the cabinet and build quality of the BE-718s and if those qualities are important, after all you not only listen to speakers you have to look at them as well, a potential buyer has to weigh in the WOW factor of pride of ownership. Let's face it most people, besides you, who are likely to see and hear the speakers probably don't have a clue what it takes for a speaker to sound better than another but they do know if they like what they see. Not that you should buy a speaker caring what others think, but sometimes when my system is turned off, not often, I'll pause while walking through the room just to admire how my system looks and of course to see where the money's gone
Anyway keep up the good/fun work and don't forget to include the Sierra's in your decision making process

dc

Thanks, DC The Sierra's are definitely on my list, actually trying to coordinate with Curtis to hear them. make sure to let us know how you think they compare. And yes I do appreciate the aesthetics.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
funkmonkey is offline  
post #650 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
dynfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem WI
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Dynaudio Contour 1.4 Bookshelf Speaker

I can safely say that this speaker was the overall group favorite of the day. It performed more like a small tower speaker than a bookshelf; however I was in the minority that didn't feel this speaker was worth the asking price of $3400/pair.

The Dynaudio C1.4 was the second bookshelf speaker to make me ponder whether or not the subwoofer was hooked up. This time, the subwoofer had been removed from the room entirely, so there was no doubt. The bass reached lower than the Sierra-1's, but it wasn't as tight and musical. In fact it was a little boomy and bloated for my tastes, something that may be alleviated by crossing over to a capable subwoofer. Nonetheless, we listened to all the speakers full range without a subwoofer, so I must be truthful about what I heard.

The tweeter on the Dynaudio's was pretty spot on, leaning slightly on the bright side of the spectrum. It produced airy and detailed highs without giving me a migraine or listener fatigue, and in comparison to the Sierra-1's tweeter, had more of a zing and seemed more factual to what was actually on the recording. In a better treated room I am confident that the tweeter would sound a little smoother but without losing any detail (which would be right up my ally).

The spectral balance of the Dyn's sounded right most of the time, but occasionally the sloppy bass took longer to decay than the rest of the frequencies, so the transition to the midrange wasn't as seamless as I had expected from a $3400/pair speaker (some midrange detail loss). The midrange was warm and engaging, but in a couple of instances I could have sworn I heard some lobing - hard to tell because it wasn't an ideal listening environment, though. YMMV.

In the end, taking into consideration price, looks (a little aggressive and modern looking for me with the grill removed), build quality and performance, I enjoyed the Dynaudio 1.4's quite a bit, but I cannot justify the asking price. The build quality of the Sierra-1's was more solid in comparison, but the top end sparkle of the Dyn's was better and had that airy sparkle I was looking for. However, the overly aggressive tuning of the bass has me leaning towards the Sierra-1 as the better overall speaker, especially when factoring in the price (which plays a large role in my decision). However, I'd love to re-evaluate the Dyn's having them crossed over to capable subwoofer. But then you're talking another $600-$1000 for the sub plus the asking price of $3400/pair of the speakers. For that price I could purchase a full surround system comprised of the Sierra-1's, or even better, a pair of Salk Song Tower's with matching center channel or a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sig's with matching center channel. I know what I'd choose, but I'll leave that decision up to you.

The Dynaudio Contour 1.4's get my recommendation, but only if paired with a subwoofer and if you have the income to blow on their steep asking price (used would be the way to go if you must have a bookshelf speaker such as these).

It is always interesting to hear other people impressions of a speaker you have spent a lot of time with.

I totally agree about the bass in the listening environment. Although there was plenty of it from many of the speakers, it was over emphasized. Some speakers suffered from placement and a room mode and others gained output as a result. Definitely a room function.... I thought the Sierra's had plenty of extension in terms of bass however it was not quite tactile, like you I want to spend time with them in my room for sure. I will probably end up with a pair to demo on the long term.....

One thing I am not clear on is how you can compare build quality by looking at cabinets. I would not pretend to know what the inside of a sierra looks like so I cannot compare it to the 1.4.

You also have me interested in the song towers as well, definitely would like to hear them, if you get a pair be sure and let me know.



Tyler,
As for stands and the 1.4's. My Stand 2's came with but one of the pillar's took one for the team. The threaded insert actually pupped out and is now stuck inside, I am probably going to grind the welds down and remove the end cap to see if I can fix it.
dynfan is offline  
post #651 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Wow Greg that is an impressive thread you've got going there!
I'm also fascinated with the Usher Tiny Dancers and actually have a pair coming to compare with my Sierra's
Some may feel the price differential between the two makes for an unfair comparison but I believe a lot of money went into the cabinet and build quality of the BE-718s and if those qualities are important, after all you not only listen to speakers you have to look at them as well, a potential buyer has to weigh in the WOW factor of pride of ownership. Let's face it most people, besides you, who are likely to see and hear the speakers probably don't have a clue what it takes for a speaker to sound better than another but they do know if they like what they see. Not that you should buy a speaker caring what others think, but sometimes when my system is turned off, not often, I'll pause while walking through the room just to admire how my system looks and of course to see where the money's gone
Anyway keep up the good/fun work and don't forget to include the Sierra's in your decision making process

dc

See now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. While I believe that performance should always come first and I'm a real gear-head when it comes to technology, I also have a strong appreciation for industrial design and the aesthetic. A well crafted speaker cabinet can be a thing of beauty and I consider some of them truly a work of art. Truth is, there are a lot of conventional box speakers that sound great, but finding speakers that look as good as they sound is a more difficult task.

I completely understand and can relate to the audiophiles here that place a premium on value, but tell me if you had the expendable income you wouldn't throw value out the window and splurge on some exotic equipment.

On the topic of speakers with Be tweeters and impeccably stylish (in my eyes) cabinetry, I've got some of these on order:







Sorry, but I just couldn't resist boasting a little. I have worked hard and made sacrifices to get to a point where I can afford to own speakers of this caliber.

Cheers,

- Tim
hifisponge is offline  
post #652 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
...and in the other corner...your basic plain-jane traditional boxes that knock the socks off your ears. (But...those Be's ARE lovely, hifisponge!)

Brandon, I have two words for you. 'These' and 'Those', lol.



MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #653 of 6914 Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

...and in the other corner...your basic plain-jane traditional boxes that knock the socks off your ears. (But...those Be's ARE lovely, hifisponge!)

As box speakers go, Aerial has my full respect. There is some serious engineering that goes into their cabinets-- double thick front face, a seperate enclosure for the midrange, extensive bracing, non-parallel sidewalls, and high quality veneers. And they are made in Denmark by master wood workers. So even though the shape is conventional, in person, they look very high quality.

If I remember correctly, the Aerials are your dream speakers. So are you any closer to owning them? Any deals to be had on Audiogon?
hifisponge is offline  
post #654 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

As box speakers go, Aerial has my full respect. There is some serious engineering that goes into their cabinets-- double thick front face, a seperate enclosure for the midrange, extensive bracing, non-parallel sidewalls, and high quality veneers. And they are made in Denmark by master wood workers. So even though the shape is conventional, in person, they look very high quality.

If I remember correctly, the Aerials are your dream speakers. So are you any closer to owning them? Any deals to be had on Audiogon?

Wow, hifisponge...You have a very good memory. Well, as luck may have it (and I mean LUCK), these are on their way to my door and (fingers crossed) will arrive safely mid-week. They'll even have the Sound Anchor stands with them. Thanks for asking. I honestly thought I'd never be able to get a pair.

Yeah, two inch thick cab walls. My buddy and I are surely going to have sore backs or hernias... (But they'll be happy sore backs or hernias! )



Oh, and did I mention...

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #655 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mudslide -

That's fantastic! Congratulations! I love hearing about other audiophiles' success stories. I bet the next few days while you wait for them to arrive are going to seem like an eternity.

BTW - good to see you posting again.

Cheers,

- Tim
hifisponge is offline  
post #656 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Mudslide -

That's fantastic! Congratulations! I love hearing about other audiophiles' success stories. I bet the next few days while you wait for them to arrive are going to seem like an eternity.

BTW - good to see you posting again.

Cheers,

- Tim

Many thanks, Tim. It's good to be back. Now we have to get Brandon in the saddle with a dream set.

(As an aside...there is some nice equipment around our neck of the woods. We could put together an interesting NW GTG, you know. I have an acquaintance near you that might even want to show off his Watt Puppies...)

Congrats again on those beeeeaUtiful Be's!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #657 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd be up for a NW GTG. I attended one once but that group hasn't seen any action in a long time. Funny name for the group though-- the Seattle Home Theater Society or "the SHTS" for short.

You know, I have always dissed Wilson speakers because their technical performance always looked so marginal for the price, but I had never actually heard them until recently. I attended the "Music Matters" show at Definitive Audio a couple of weeks ago and had a chance to listen to both the WATT Puppies and the $125K Alexandria's. I have to admit that the Alexandria's sounded pretty damn good. One of the few speakers than can convey the true scale of an orchestra. Still, I believe that you are paying a good chunk of money for the prestige of owning the brand with Wilson. Which is fine I suppose if you've got an extra $125K burning a hole in your pocket.
hifisponge is offline  
post #658 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Tmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post


Tyler,
As for stands and the 1.4's. My Stand 2's came with but one of the pillar's took one for the team. The threaded insert actually pupped out and is now stuck inside, I am probably going to grind the welds down and remove the end cap to see if I can fix it.

Wes--Send me an email regarding this.

Tyler Mueller


Next Level Audio and Video
www.nextlevelav.com
tyler@nextlevelav.com
Tmueller is offline  
post #659 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmueller View Post

Wes--Send me an email regarding this.

Thats what I'm talking about.... Customer Service...
Warpdrv is offline  
post #660 of 6914 Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Nuance, funny thing just happened, I was setting up a link to your thread here, and I noticed that the Usher Be-718 came up this morning. The part that is funny about it is that I just spent a good chunk of time listening to them yesterday afternoon, and have been spending most of my morning posting my impressions of them, and building a thread that documents my speakerquest if you are interested. Thanks for the inspiration,
Cheers,
Greg

Cool. I'll certainly check your thread out. Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Yes it would...but the Sierras are bamboo!

Exactly. It would be a nice contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

It is always interesting to hear other people impressions of a speaker you have spent a lot of time with.

I totally agree about the bass in the listening environment. Although there was plenty of it from many of the speakers, it was over emphasized. Some speakers suffered from placement and a room mode and others gained output as a result. Definitely a room function.... I thought the Sierra's had plenty of extension in terms of bass however it was not quite tactile, like you I want to spend time with them in my room for sure. I will probably end up with a pair to demo on the long term.....

One thing I am not clear on is how you can compare build quality by looking at cabinets. I would not pretend to know what the inside of a sierra looks like so I cannot compare it to the 1.4.

You also have me interested in the song towers as well, definitely would like to hear them, if you get a pair be sure and let me know.



Tyler,
As for stands and the 1.4's. My Stand 2's came with but one of the pillar's took one for the team. The threaded insert actually pupped out and is now stuck inside, I am probably going to grind the welds down and remove the end cap to see if I can fix it.

Yes, the room certainly played a factor in all of the speakers. Its too bad about your stands, because if they could have alleviated that bass bloating things may have turned out differently.

As for build quality, I held both speakers and examined them. Both were superb but when I wrapped on the Sierra (in comparison to the Dyn's), it was almost totally solid and dead. Based on the good 'ol "knuckle wrap test" it seemed the Sierra's were better dampened. Remember, I never said the build quality of the Sierra's was better; just more solid.

I'd love to hear the Dyn's in a different environment. And if I ever get myself a pair of Salk's, you're welcome to come over and audition them.

Thanks for your insights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

See now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. While I believe that performance should always come first and I'm a real gear-head when it comes to technology, I also have a strong appreciation for industrial design and the aesthetic. A well crafted speaker cabinet can be a thing of beauty and I consider some of them truly a work of art. Truth is, there are a lot of conventional box speakers that sound great, but finding speakers that look as good as they sound is a more difficult task.

I completely understand and can relate to the audiophiles here that place a premium on value, but tell me if you had the expendable income you wouldn't throw value out the window and splurge on some exotic equipment.

On the topic of speakers with Be tweeters and impeccably stylish (in my eyes) cabinetry, I've got some of these on order:







Sorry, but I just couldn't resist boasting a little. I have worked hard and made sacrifices to get to a point where I can afford to own speakers of this caliber.

Cheers,

- Tim

Trust me, Tim, if I had the money I'd purchasing exotic equipment all day, but only if they sounded just as nice (of which I'm sure those do)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

...and in the other corner...your basic plain-jane traditional boxes that knock the socks off your ears. (But...those Be's ARE lovely, hifisponge!)

Brandon, I have two words for you. 'These' and 'Those', lol.



Yup yup; I'd have a pair of those too if I had the money.

Man...you guys are making me jealous!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off