My Journey to find the "perfect" speaker... - Page 231 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6901 of 6914 Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The RC-10's come with port plugs that you can use if you find you have too much upper bass emphasis by pushing them close to the wall.

I own RC-10's, and owned a pair of WAF-1's.

Considering you can get a new pair of RC-10's from wwstereo (on ebay) for $275 shipping after bing cashback.... that'd be my recommendation.

But I am a little biased because I like the RC-10's better that the WAF-1, although the WAF is a nice speaker too.

I also owned Sierra-1's at one point... and overall they're the best of the bunch, as expected. Still, as I said in my review thread of the Energy/WAF... I feel the RC-10's for $300 new (or in case $275) is a better deal than Sierra's at full price.

If you can get a pair of Sierra's used in the $600 range... well that brings the value scale closer.

Here is my RC-10/WAF comparison thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=17432999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6914 Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I responded in your thread, bud. But, in short, there are better performing alternatives for the price IMO. Although, those Energy's are dirt cheap... That's a tough one.

Just curious... when you mention better performers for the price... are you referring to MSRP, or the current $300ish pricing (RC-10s)?

And if you're referring to current pricing... Care to share which speakers you found to be better performers?

EDIT: Looks like you were referring to the RC-70... Found this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1259623
post #6903 of 6914 Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

trying them both out in your space would be what I would tell you to do.

Have you had your hearing checked to find out what the offending frequencies are?

No, but I hope it's from a result of sensitive hearing or maybe it's just all in my head? I'd really like to get my hearing tested though. It sure would be a fun experiment.
post #6904 of 6914 Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony777 View Post

Hey Bill,

Have you tried them with 3-4 feet of space?

No I haven't as my room just doesn't have the space. Although if I have the time I might try placing them out another 12" just to see how they sound.

My system is in my livingroom and the depth of the room is less than 14' with a good amount of furniture in the room. That was my concern before I ordered the STs but Jim said the STs are very flexible when it comes to placement in smaller rooms like mine.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6905 of 6914 Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

No I haven't as my room just doesn't have the space. Although if I have the time I might try placing them out another 12" just to see how they sound.

My system is in my livingroom and the depth of the room is less than 14' with a good amount of furniture in the room. That was my concern before I ordered the STs but Jim said the STs are very flexible when it comes to placement in smaller rooms like mine.

I've heard STs that were 3 inches from a rear wall with no boomy bass
post #6906 of 6914 Old 07-01-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony777 View Post

I've heard STs that were 3 inches from a rear wall with no boomy bass

Dito - my own in my room. I pushed them against the wall to hear what adverse effects would occur. The bass was a little more prominent, but never boomy. However, I did lose sound stage depth, not to mention imaging suffered.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #6907 of 6914 Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Didn't know whether to post in here or this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...082&highlight=

Both excellent threads.

What if one doesn't listen to the type of music needed to audition speakers? (vocals, organs?) I pretty much listen to a little rap, pop, and a little alternative rock but nothing i own. I've been listening to different speakers but i never bring any music with me cause i dont have that type of music (or really own anything). I listen to whatever the store has. Is that not a good idea?

I can still hear the differences in speakers even though im not familiar with the songs. The speakers are only going to be for 100% movies anyway (like i currently do).

home theater addict
post #6908 of 6914 Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Didn't know whether to post in here or this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...082&highlight=

Both excellent threads.

What if one doesn't listen to the type of music needed to audition speakers? (vocals, organs?) I pretty much listen to a little rap, pop, and a little alternative rock but nothing i own. I've been listening to different speakers but i never bring any music with me cause i dont have that type of music (or really own anything). I listen to whatever the store has. Is that not a good idea?

I can still hear the differences in speakers even though im not familiar with the songs. The speakers are only going to be for 100% movies anyway (like i currently do).

Hi, Saprano.

Well, I always recommend bringing the style of music you'll be listening to, as well as songs you're very familiar with. But if you can hear the differences between speakers using the store's demo material, you're one step ahead of the game - good for you!

Don't worry about the type of music you listen to and whether or not it's "audiophile" quality; I don't. I had a few heavier tracks that I took with me to every audition, and sometimes those tunes seemed to embarrass the A/V shop owners. But you know what, I didn't care. Take the music you'll be listening to when you audition, and don't worry about what others think.

I hope that helps.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6909 of 6914 Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I'll typically bring in some Litanies of Satan-era Diamanda Galás for auditions.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #6910 of 6914 Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Both excellent threads.

The only things needed to audition a pair of speakers are the speakers themselves, something to drive them, something (anything) to play through them, and most importantly, your own ears. Since you are looking for something for 100% movies I would strongly suggest that you bring along a copy of your favorite movie, DVD or BluRay, whatever you have, and something that you are very familiar with. If you find something that sounds better than your memory of how you think it should sound, then you are on the right track.

Cheers, and good luck in your search

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #6911 of 6914 Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Hi, Saprano.

Well, I always recommend bringing the style of music you'll be listening to, as well as songs you're very familiar with. But if you can hear the differences between speakers using the store's demo material, you're one step ahead of the game - good for you!

Don't worry about the type of music you listen to and whether or not it's "audiophile" quality; I don't. I had a few heavier tracks that I took with me to every audition, and sometimes those tunes seemed to embarrass the A/V shop owners. But you know what, I didn't care. Take the music you'll be listening to when you audition, and don't worry about what others think.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice.

Was thinking about bringing some of the hiphop and pop tracks i listen to but i thought they wouldn't qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

The only things needed to audition a pair of speakers are the speakers themselves, something to drive them, something (anything) to play through them, and most importantly, your own ears. Since you are looking for something for 100% movies I would strongly suggest that you bring along a copy of your favorite movie, DVD or BluRay, whatever you have, and something that you are very familiar with. If you find something that sounds better than your memory of how you think it should sound, then you are on the right track.

Cheers, and good luck in your search

Thanks for your advice also

I've never brought movies cause everyone always says bring music. But yes whatever speakers i get will be for movies. I might put on a music track once in a while to hear how it sounds but im more interested in performance for movies. Though it's said if a speaker sounds good on music then movies are a done deal.

I'll bring some movies with me on my next audition. I have plenty of movies that im used to hearing on my current system for years. So any changes i hear on new speakers, good or bad, should be readily apparent.

Thanks again.

home theater addict
post #6912 of 6914 Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM

Liked: 10
I enjoyed reading your journey to the perfect speaker. In describing your audition of the Salk SongTowers you use adjectives such as: enveloping, airy, huge soundstage, 3-D, etc. The word "depth" is missing. I like speakers that allow one to hear layers of depth when listening, In a symphony, the bass drums, brass, etc. are located well behind the violins, cellos, etc. In closing your eyes, are you able to "look" to the recesses of the stage? I like the sounds to be heard behind the speakers and well into the background.
I'm concerned by the words "sibilents" "sharp cymbals". Do you sometimes sense the sounds are too bright? Do you experience "listener's fatigue" after listening an hour or two? Does it sometime sound "too in your face?"
I wish you could audition the new GoldenEar Tritons. I would value your opinion. Both use folded-ribbon tweeters.
post #6913 of 6914 Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemac View Post

I enjoyed reading your journey to the perfect speaker. In describing your audition of the Salk SongTowers you use adjectives such as: enveloping, airy, huge soundstage, 3-D, etc. The word "depth" is missing. I like speakers that allow one to hear layers of depth when listening, In a symphony, the bass drums, brass, etc. are located well behind the violins, cellos, etc. In closing your eyes, are you able to "look" to the recesses of the stage? I like the sounds to be heard behind the speakers and well into the background.
I'm concerned by the words "sibilents" "sharp cymbals". Do you sometimes sense the sounds are too bright? Do you experience "listener's fatigue" after listening an hour or two? Does it sometime sound "too in your face?"
I wish you could audition the new GoldenEar Tritons. I would value your opinion. Both use folded-ribbon tweeters.

Thank you sir. I don't recall if I answered your question via PM or not. If not, I apologize. If I hear from you again (via this thread or PM) I promise to answer your question...if you're still around.

I hope everyone is well!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #6914 of 6914 Old 03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just to add my 2 cents...
... and to keep it to the absolute minimum:

WAF plus SQ, pinpointing the image and recreating space:

Mordaunt Short Performance 6 LE and its sibling 6 (without LE)

http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=74

British origin and hard to find.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page