post #901 of 6914 Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

There are plenty of "good sounding speakers" out there. The content that is played on speakers has flaws that we can live without!

Oh, I know. I was just saying that whichever way you state it, it works.

I sure know that the Song Tower's sound great!

John, I'd be interested to see what you think of Salk's stuff. I'd love to read your post in which you pick apart all their flaws (because they aren't NHT or PSB)...I mean, I'd love to read your opinion! LOL!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6914 Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Looking good, Warp. Here is a pic of mine that is about 6 months old. I really need to update it to show some of the new stuff, but I figure something is better than nothing

Oh sweet mama...is that Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live from Radio City on Blu-ray? I just saw part of that at my dealer in one of their demo rooms...very impressive sight and sound, but a cool performance nonetheless, may have to pick it up sometime.
post #903 of 6914 Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrand1 View Post

Oh sweet mama...is that Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live from Radio City on Blu-ray? I just saw part of that at my dealer in one of their demo rooms...very impressive sight and sound, but a cool performance nonetheless, may have to pick it up sometime.

Yes it is. It is demo material for sure! Both audio and video.
post #904 of 6914 Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

If you have to get used to the sound of a speaker, then perhaps that tells you something important!

Speaker break-in anybody
post #905 of 6914 Old 04-03-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ lol!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #906 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So...

I placed an order for a pair of Salk Song Tower's in Santos Rosewood. Below is what they'll most likely look like! WHOOHOO - very excited!!

Now I guess I'll have to start a thread for a 2-channel amp for a VERY good price. Of course, you can post suggestions here if you'd like. I already got a couple good ideas and links to some used amps, but keep them coming if you'd be so kind.

If I had the money, I'd pick up this badboy. Hopefully it will still be around a bit down the road.

I will be anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Song Tower's!
LL

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #907 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

So...

I placed an order for a pair of Salk Song Tower's in Santos Rosewood. Below is what they'll most likely look like! WHOOHOO - very excited!!

Like this one...?

Stunning look to them...

post #908 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Nuance, nice veneer selection, I love the grain and color of the Rosewoods (Santos, Brazilian, East Indian...). So much so that I hunted down a unique batch of Brazilian Rosewood for my HT3's. I am happy for you, and am also on the hunt for a suitable amp. D-sonic has me intrigued.

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #909 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance, I would be glad to help. What is your budget?
post #910 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:

So...

Now I guess I'll have to start a thread for a 2-channel amp for a VERY good price. Of course, you can post suggestions here if you'd like. I already got a couple good ideas and links to some used amps, but keep them coming if you'd be so kind.

If I had the money, I'd pick up this badboy. Hopefully it will still be around a bit down the road.

I will be anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Song Tower's!

Nuance,

Congrats on the new speakers. The STs look great in Rosewood. I have the Power 5 amp and like it very much, plenty of power and it seems the louder the better! The Power 2 at $699.00 is a great deal for sure. The D-Sonic and W4S amps are a bit more expensive but I believe they have the next generation ICE modules. Also balanced outputs and by looking at the pictures I have seen maybe better build quality over the Power 5/2s.

I have Dynaudio Focus 140s and I have been looking for a pair of Contour 1.4s or 3.4s in Rosewood but they are hard to come by. The Song Towers are very appealing to me and for the performance/cost ratio have me seriously considering ordering a pair.

I e-mailed Jim a few times and found him to be very helpful and was surprised how quickly he responded. For someone that runs the whole show it must be hard to do everything and find time to answer questions. I thought I would stay with the Dynaudio line but to upgrade might be out of my budget especially for new. For a company as large as Dynaudio I found their service to be excellent as well.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #911 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Nuance...congrats!

And I also recommend ICEpower based amps.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #912 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nuance,

I have been posting my impression of the NHT power5 i bought recently over in the amps section. I am still contemplating which one to keep, the proceed amp3 or power5?

I have been swapping the two back and forth all weekend. Either way, I am sure the song towers will sound awesome especially with ICE power

Congrats!
Brandon
post #913 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Now I guess I'll have to start a thread for a 2-channel amp for a VERY good price.

I suggest pro amps from reputable companies like Crown or QSC. Several pro-oriented retailers (including authorized online ones) allow 30-day returns, making it easy to try one or several out in your home....you would just be out shipping, if you buy online.

I also suggest buying 1.5-2x the continuous recommended amp power for the speakers.
post #914 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Like this one...?

Stunning look to them...

Yes sir, those are the ones. Thanks bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey View Post

Nuance, nice veneer selection, I love the grain and color of the Rosewoods (Santos, Brazilian, East Indian...). So much so that I hunted down a unique batch of Brazilian Rosewood for my HT3's. I am happy for you, and am also on the hunt for a suitable amp. D-sonic has me intrigued.

Awesome, Funk!! Believe it or not, my wife took a good deal of time picking out the look and customizing the speakers her self (including putting the name badges on the back). Who would have thought?

Good luck on your amp search. D-sonic has me intrigued too, but I dunno if Laura (the front office...AKA the wife) will want me to spend that much. She is finally getting into this audio/video stuff, though).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Nuance, I would be glad to help. What is your budget?

As little as possible. Seriously though, I would to keep it low, but I want at least 200WPC. If I had $700 laying around I'd get that NHT amp, but I fret it will be completely sold out when I acquire the funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Nuance,

I have been posting my impression of the NHT power5 i bought recently over in the amps section. I am still contemplating which one to keep, the proceed amp3 or power5?

I have been swapping the two back and forth all weekend. Either way, I am sure the song towers will sound awesome especially with ICE power

Congrats!
Brandon

Wow...you think its in the Proceed's league? Impressive!! I wish you a happy decision making.

I am strongly looking at Icepower based amps. They really seem to be the wave of the future.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming please! I hope to have acquired a subwoofer, an amplifier and new room treatments by the end of the year. This is all based upon what happens next week with a career opportunity my wife has. If it works out, things will have really turned around since a few months ago. If not, I'll be enjoying my Song Tower's and Rocket's, but the rest will have to wait for a long while. Let's hope!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #915 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I've been looking into some IcePower amps myself (D-Sonic amps use the B&O IcePower amp modules), and the only thing concerns me about class D amps it that there are often comments that the treble sounds a bit flat, even rolled off and that the decay of treble notes is truncated. Class D amps have to use a low pass filter to get rid of the noise generated by the digital switching carrier sigal, so this makes sense. If this is true, you may not get all of the delicate treble that the ribbons in the HT3 are capable of. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I do think that this type of amp more than any other would need an in-home audition.

After reading what hifi said (above) in funkmonkey's thread, maybe class D is not what I am looking for.

Anyone else have other suggestions? I am looking for a 2-channel amp for now but I don't want it to add any colorations. If what hifi said is correct about the D-Sonic stuff, I may have to take a pass because I don't want the high frequencies to be effected on the Song Tower's. I guess I am looking for an amp that will simply allow the Song Tower's to give me everything they have to offer, if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #916 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

hifisponge, was that comment about ICEpower or Class D in general?

I should probably ask that in the other thread....

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #917 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You can ask here, Curtis. I'd like to know the answer too.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #918 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

hifisponge, was that comment about IcePower or Class D in general?

I should probably ask that in the other thread....

I've read every review and all the user opinions I can find on the current Class D amps and the two that seem to be in the front running are NuForce and IcePower.

The commonalities within all of the reviews is that Class D has excellent bass control, good retrieval of low level detail in the mids, an excellent noise floor (black background), and a lack of SS grain, but that all of them to some extent fall short in high frequency reproduction in some form or another.

Nuforce takes the crown for bass control and dynamics and seems to receive fewer complaints about the HF quality than IcePower, but it has been criticized by some to sound artificially clean and even somewhat analytical.

Traits noted as being common in reviews of amps using IcePower is that they have a warmer, rounder, almost tube-like quality but that the treble sounds slightly rolled off and lacking "air". Bass quality has been called everything from excellent to somewhat indistinct (unlike the unanimous praise NuForce receives for bass). Midrange seems to be the strong suit, having that rare combination of detail and smoothness with good harmonic density.

The one thing that I was surprised to see was the absolute absence of comments stating that these amps sounded cold, dry, or electronic.

Objectively, looking at the measurements of IcePower amps, it is somewhat disconcerting the amount of distortion from 10KHz on up when these amps are pushed much above 100 watts.

Bel Canto Ref 1000 (uses minimally modified IcePower amp module):

4-ohm output loading
Green: 900W
Cyan line: 500W
Blue line: 100W
Magenta line: 10W
Red line: 1W

This is all just regurgitated information at this point. I still plan on auditioning the Bel Canto's and the NuForce's within the next few months to get some first hand impressions of the sound quality.
post #919 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks hifisponge.

"air" and/or "transparency" is something that I thought the NuForce Ref 8b might have had over my current ICEpower based amp....but I never did an A/B comparison.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #920 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks hifisponge.

"air" and/or "transparency" is something that I thought the NuForce Ref 8b might have had over my current ICEpower based amp....but I never did an A/B comparison.

Glad to be of service.

Any other comparisons you care to make based on your experience with the two? Anything that you feel IcePower does better than the NuForce?
post #921 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Glad to be of service.

Any other comparisons you care to make based on your experience with the two? Anything that you feel IcePower does better than the NuForce?

I have not had many amplifiers in my system.

The NuForce had better bass control than my ATI 1505, and I feel the ICEpower is better than the NuForce. The ICEpower is also the most dynamic that I have had.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #922 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not had many amplifiers in my system.

The NuForce had better bass control than my ATI 1505, and I feel the ICEpower is better than the NuForce. The ICEpower is also the most dynamic that I have had.

Do you own the D-Sonic or something else? What is the power output of your amp? Would you mind being more specific about what you like better about the IcePower vs the NuForce? Which speakers do you own?

I hope you don't mind all the questions. I'd like to know what qualities to listen for when I do my own auditioning.

Thanks!
post #923 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'm here too Nuance, forgive me for lurking cheers

->>>≈<<<-
Speakerquest
post #924 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you own the D-Sonic or something else? What is the power output of your amp? Would you mind being more specific about what you like better about the IcePower vs the NuForce? Which speakers do you own?

I hope you don't mind all the questions. I'd like to know what qualities to listen for when I do my own auditioning.

Thanks!

My ICEpower amp was built in Denmark by a boutique manufacturer......two 1000asp modules and not much else. It is coming up on being two years old now.

The NuForce really had a sense of transparency/air, extremely clean and extended. At the time I had Ascend CMT-340's. When I moved to the ICEpower unit, the dynamics were greater, but did not have the same sense of air or tranparency.

I now have Ascend Sierras, and have only used them with the ICEpower amp in my home.

It is too bad I don't have the NuForce amps....I would like to try them with my current speakers.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #925 of 6914 Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks much Curtis. I will try to remember to post my impressions of the NuForce vs the Bel Canto's here, but I am a few weeks away from doing this.

On my short list:
Parasound Halo
NuForce
Bel Canto
Halcro
post #926 of 6914 Old 04-14-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

I suggest pro amps from reputable companies like Crown or QSC. Several pro-oriented retailers (including authorized online ones) allow 30-day returns, making it easy to try one or several out in your home....you would just be out shipping, if you buy online.

I also suggest buying 1.5-2x the continuous recommended amp power for the speakers.

OK let me be specific. Guitar Center has many retail storefronts, and the online store has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so I assume the bricks and mortar locations do too, but you could check. Just go and pick up a QSC RMX1850HD (350W/8ohms, $529 at GC, specs: http://media.qscaudio.com/pdfs/Speci...s/RMX_spec.pdf) or something along those lines. Return if for a full refund if you don't like it. Or you could probably find lower prices at other authorized online dealers, but would have to pay shipping if you return it.

The only issue is that if you're not using an equipment closet, then the variable-speed fan might become audible if you really stress out the unit. There are quys on this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=418666 who could guide you through doing a fan mod.
post #927 of 6914 Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the information guys. Honestly, I am now leaning in another direction than the IcePower units. I crave top end "sparkle" and "air," but without it being fatiguing.

In your opinions, what class amp would be best suited for my needs, which are as follows?

- Add as little color and distortion to the signal as possible.
- Has great bass response
- Has great detail capturing abilities, especially in the midrange and high frequencies.
- Achieves that "sparkle" and "airy" high frequency sound.

In other words, as transparent as possible with adding or taking away anything from the signal. Would class A or A/B be better?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #928 of 6914 Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance,

I suggest looking into the past 20-30 years or so worth of double-blind amplifier listening tests.
post #929 of 6914 Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you still have the rockets why not dust them to fund the amp purchase?
post #930 of 6914 Old 04-14-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^ Well, for two reasons I guess. One: they are a great speaker for the money. And Two: They are completing my Home Theater setup right now. The Salk's will go up stairs and be used in a 2.1 (or 2.2) music configuration.

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page