My Journey to find the "perfect" speaker... - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Alright Nuance, enough hanging out on the forum today. Go listen to some MA Platinums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Alright Nuance, enough hanging out on the forum today. Go listen to some MA Platinums

Yeah Nuance, what is your on-line light still doing on? You've got a pride of hungy audiophiles waiting on you to bring home the goods.
post #1083 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Yeah Nuance, what is your on-line light still doing on? You've got a pride of hungy audiophiles waiting on you to bring home the goods.

You guys crack me up!

Seriously, as soon as my wife gets home I am going to ask her to either join me on the audition (with my little 2-year old, so that's not likely) or excuse me for a couple of hours while I go feed my hobby passion. She'll roll her eyes and chose one or the other, but I'll get there. She should be home in 25 minutes, leaving me 2-hours to audition the speakers when subtracting the 30 minute drive (the store closes at 6 p.m. central standard).

Wish me happy listening!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1084 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

sweet Nuance! I am jealous, I cannot find anywhere to listen to them. I look forward to what you have to say.
post #1085 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Gentlemen -

I spent about an hour with the PL300's today. I will post a review after the Brewer game.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1086 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

You know, I think the German on-line AV publication, "AreaDVD" nicely sums up my experience with the MA Platinums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreaDVD View Post

"Pleasure inflation at the highest sound level. Thanks to the top processing and fair pricing, the Platinum series ascends to the ruling throne of the audiophile senses."

I know I certainly had much pleasure inflation when listening to them!
post #1087 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have never heard a null.

And there is NO such thing as a PERFECT speaker.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #1088 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

I have never heard a null.

And there is NO such thing as a PERFECT speaker.

Stop coming into my threads and saying that. There IS such thing as a perfect speaker because its a subjective experience. Thousands of people have found the perfect speaker for their ears. Now be gone, please. Your ridiculousness is getting...well, ridiculous!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1089 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Stop coming into my threads and saying that. There IS such thing as a perfect speaker because its a subjective experience. Thousands of people have found the perfect speaker for their ears. Now be gone, please. Your ridiculousness is getting...well, ridiculous!

1300 plus ridiculous posts, yet he soldiers on. Unfortunately, they don't ban folks for ridiculousness or he would have been gone 1200 posts ago.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #1090 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that if you like your speakers there IS a perfect speaer bu there are speakers that are TECHNICALLY better through measurements and specs but that doesnt always equal perfect to one's ear so maybe YOU ARE right this time.

post #1091 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

1300 plus ridiculous posts, yet he soldiers on. Unfortunately, they don't ban folks for ridiculousness or he would have been gone 1200 posts ago.

So true.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1092 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is a teaser for now, gentlemen:

Sorry about the crappy pics; my camera sucks. That's just another thing I need to buy.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1093 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And a few more for the 7th inning stretc

LL
LL
LL

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1094 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nuance, give me some listening impressions!!!!

kcrowder, beautiful setup!
post #1095 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

You must be a slow learner.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #1096 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the Brewer game over yet?
post #1097 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Is the Brewer game over yet?

Sure is...and the Brewers won.

Nuance probably has his pointer on the submit button....just toying with you.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1098 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow Nuance, it is almost 10pm here on the West Coast and still no comments on the PL300s? I hope you realize that it is Saturday and that it is OK to stay up late. I'll be up for a while.
post #1099 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Audition # 8

Monitor Audio PL300

After a speedy lunch with my wife we headed out to Brookfield, WI to audition the newly released Monitor Audio PL300's. The PL300's retail for $9000/pair, so they are one of the most expensive and sophisticated speakers I've auditioned to date. I have auditioned a few pricey speakers in the past, but I generally try to stay "reasonably" within my price range so I can actually save for the speaker if I really connect with it. However, after doing some research and reading up on the engineering and technology involved, my interest skyrocketed and I just had to nab an audition. Well, that day was today, but let me talk a little about why this speaker interested me.

Monitor Audio's previous offers to the Platinum Series were pretty decent, but nothing mind blowing. I think the Silver series offers good performance for a reasonable price, but after hearing the Gold series (I got a second audition today), I feel they are a little pricey for the amount of performance they offer. This is one of the reasons my favorite local dealer doesn't carry anything higher than the Silver Series; they feel anything above that doesn't offer enough performance for the steeper asking price, and I am inclined to believe that, until now.

The new Monitor Audio Platinum series seems to have been re-engineer from the ground up (as gear-heads would say). The specifications that drew my interest were (as taken from Hifisponge and stolen from rydenfan's post):

1. No MDF in the cabinet, instead they use multilayer ply,
2. Synthetic marble front baffle covered in leather to provide a resonant free mounting surface for the drivers,
3. Torsion screws that attach the front and rear baffle, tightened to a specific torque setting to further reduce cabinet resonances,
4. Real WBT binding posts,
5. Custom ribbon tweeter with excellent dispersion and 100KHz extension,
6. Dedicated midrange in it's own conical enclosure made of synthetic marble,
7. Driver diaphragms that have a center made of non-resonant Nomex to reduce the ringing typical of metal drivers.

I guess Hifi and Ryden appreciate the same qualities that I do.

I arrived around 4:30, 1.5 hours before the store closed. I expected to only listen for 30 minutes but ended up staying for an hour. Thank God my wife was patient and, while she did listen for a little while, ended up watching the NFL draft with my daughter on the many flat screen panels the store had on display.

Aesthetic impressions

Other than the not so attractive fat and squatty look, the PL300's are simply gorgeous. The display pair featured the Santos Rosewood veneer, coincidentally the same Veneer my wife chose for my future Song Tower's. The veneer was simply gorgeous; the pictures I took don't do them justice. The veneer seemed to be covered in a high gloss finish, which I am a sucker for I might add. A knuckle wrap on the sides resulted in a deadness among the best I've heard on any speaker. These are some very solidly built speakers!

Another feature of the aesthetics I liked were the horizontal bindings and magnetic speaker grills. It just oozed of class, which may or may not be a contrast to me and my personality; you'd have to ask my wife to get a definitive answer on that one.

All in all, the bases, veneer, fit and finish and binding posts were all very solid; nothing cheap looking with these speakers. Score 1 for Monitor Audio.

Music Used

I only brought 3 CD's with me for auditioning. I meant to finish up my future audition CD, but my daughter and I were having so much fun jamming to tunes and dancing around that I totally lost track of time. Oh well!

The artists, albums and song tracks were as follows:

Patricia Barber - Live: A Fortnight In France

This track is called "Gotcha," of which has great macro and microdynamics and has a lot of instrument work going on all throughout. It is also a good tune to use for testing female vocal clarity and accuracy. Finally, it has a lot of symbol and bass work to put a speaker through the paces.

Dream Theater - Awake

The two tracks chosen from this album were "Scarred" and "The Mirror." I chose these track because they have everything a "Rock 'N Roll/ Heavy Metal" band should include in their music. They have a truly gifted keyboardist/pianist, the greatest guitarist to ever live (my opinion, of course), possibly the greatest bassist to ever play in a Rock/Metal band, the best drummer every to walk the earth,topped off with a pretty darn good singer considering the genre of music. Needless to say there is a lot involved in their music. Picture "Yes" meets "Journey" meets "Pink Floyd" meets "Metallica" and you'll have an idea of what you're in store for. Well, I chose this band because of the micro and macrodynamics involved, because they have decently recorded albums for a rock band and due to the bombardment of musical information coming at you; it can easily cause a speaker to show its weaknesses by distorting and clumping all the instruments together.

Howard Shore - The Lord Of The Rings Soundtrack: Return Of The King

I originally planned on listening only to "Minas Tirith," but this album sounded so good on this speaker that I also played "The White Tree" and "The Steward Of Gondor." As many of you probably already know, Howard Shore used an orchestra to record the soundtrack for the LOTR movies. The recording is well done and includes a lot of brass/horns and symbols/high hats. There are also some pretty powerful hair raising passages that I can easily emotionally connect with, thus being a good test for the PL300's.

Listening Impressions

I first fired up Patricia Barber's "Gotcha" because I was excited to hear how the speakers reproduced the female voice and the catchy bass passage. The bass started and I'll admit, it was a little less punchy and deep than I was used to. This could have been due to the setup but nonetheless I craved more depth. Continuing on, Patrica's voice came on and overpowered me. The presentation was BIG, very BIG, as if I was front and center in the arena where the album was recorded. Her voice was captivating and had more depth and bass than I've heard before at the lower midrange. In my seated position (dead center between the speakers about the same distance away as they were apart) the vertical dispersion was among the best I've heard on a speaker using a ribbon tweeter. Her voice went high and wide, better than most presentations I've heard before. The midrange was very lush, and detailed. I never once had to struggle to hear the detail of each instrument, thus providing an amazing separation of instruments. I'll have to echo Tim's review when he said the separation of instruments was mind blowing. The experience immediately made me think of the Song Tower's and had me wondering if the PL300's implemented a transmission line design (of which they do not). Besides the Vandersteen 5A's and the Salk Song Tower's I'd never heard a midrange this detailed.

While focusing on the drum work, specifically the symbols, I again heard a very open sound with a lot of air. I love that open, airy sound, so I was totally diggin' the song at this point even though its not really my style, per se. The ribbon tweeter was smooth most of the time, but sometimes it walked the border between extremely detailed and a too bright. This was later confirmed with the other recordings. Nonetheless, the transition from the mid to the tweet was better than I've heard on most ribbon tweeter based speakers; no obvious distortion or colorations detected.

After enjoying the previous track I changed up the pace with the heavy hitting Dream Theater. This is the one band that my close friends, family and I actually agree on; we all love DT's stuff. I fired up "Scarred" which starts off with a bass line and amazing guitar harmonics. Again that BIG overpowering sound enveloped me. I could hear the distortion of the bass and the rattling of the strings - very cool. James Labrie's vocals sounded clear and concise, almost in a spooky manner that gave me chills. Like Patricia's voice, his was big, full and created a long and high wall of sound. It was at this point (early on in the track) that I stood up and moved left and right to check the 300's imaging and dispersion capabilities. When I stood up the wall of sound stayed about tweeter level. As I moved left and right the imaging certainly changed and it was easy to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. Upon sitting back into my seating position I closed my eyes and pointed to where the sound extended to. Unfortunately it didn't extend too far beyond the boundaries of the speaker. Due to this I would say the listening window is small and the imaging could be better.

As the track continued on I just got drawn in, and rather than listening intently I got lost in the music. Other than remembering the guitar solo which made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, the next thing I remember was the song ending. That guitar solo is so amazing, as if John Petrucci was told by God himself what notes to play. Every note was exactly how it should have been, and it sounded awesome on this speaker. The distortion of the guitar was just "right," like John was giving me a personal guitar lesson. Electric guitar sounds good on these speakers

After finishing "Scarred" I quickly played the beginning of "The Mirror." This track kicks off with a brutally deep, crunchy and heavy riff, true Rocker/Heavy Metal style. Again the distortion was perfect, providing the right amount of crunch and bass. But when the kick bass drums broke in I wished they had more impact and depth. With a band like Dream Theater I crave punchy bass, just as it would sound if Mike Portnoy was playing his giant drum set in the room before me. Unfortunately the bass was a little shy, for lack of a better word. Just a hair more and I would have had a bigger smile on my face. Oddly enough, the bass guitar sounded pretty spot on, but admittedly was lacking some on the Patricia Barber track.

My final album was "The Return Of The King" Soundtrack. I chose his because I just happened to have it in my car and had forgot my Igor Stravinsky piece at home (DOH). I began with the third track and intended to stop there, but I ended up cruising through the forth and fifth as well. While listening to these three track I again got lost in the music, more emotionally than anything. It totally took me back to certain scenes of the LOTR movie. The brass instruments sounded strong and realistic, though with a bit of harshness at times. The bass was deep and enveloping but not as full as I was hoping for.

While nearing the end of audition I was in the middle of a track called "The Steward Of Godor" in which a female voice begins to utter an almost euphoric trance, but in the form of a song. The hair stood up on my arms and the back of my neck and I was memorized by how spooky it sounded (maybe a little ubrealistic, though), as if I was Froto being sung a lullaby. I stopped the CD and just sat for a spell trying to think of how I'd describe what I heard. I hope my experience was well described, but some things just can't be put into words but rather need to be experienced. Needless to say, this soundtrack sounded good on this speaker.

Summary

In summary, I enjoyed my time with the PL300's. My quib was with the bass and occasional harshness of the upper mids and treble.

Finally, to offer a second perspective, my wife had a few opinions of her own. She felt that the speakers provided a "circumferencing" experience as if the sound was being hurled at you rather than you actually being there as a part of the show. She said the symbols in Dream Theater's "Scarred" were ear piercing, which is why she left the room. Her experience was that the speaker's high frequencies were headache inducing, thus ruining the speakers good attributes. You know...its funny...when we got home I wanted to listen to the same tracks on our system (The Rocket 850 Sigs) while they still rang fresh in my mind. After finishing up, my wife, whom sat through all of them with me, said she now truly appreciates our current speakers more than ever. She actually enjoyed them and felt they provided a more "you are there" experience. A good word in comparison would be smooth; just a smoother and easier to tolerate sound (her words). I'm very happy she took the time to experience what I did and that she now appreciates what we currently have. Not to mention we chatted about audio, concepts and design for some time after.

Tim, Ryden, and every one else, the PL300 is a good speaker and should finally provide Monitor Audio with some stiff competition for that every-growing price range. Its ability to provide a HUGE 3-Dimensional holographic sound stage put me in sheer awe, especially considering how bad the room was acoustically.

Edit: After reading about Rydenfan's and Hifisponge's listening impressions of these speakers, and after numerous conversations with them, we agree that the midrange and tweeter harshness and sibilance is not due to the room acoustics (at least not when I was listening). Unfortunately the harshness I heard was the speaker's characterisitic. I should not have been so quick to blame it on the poor room (even though the acoustics sucked). Iwish the acoustics were better in the room, hence I wouldn't have been so quick to recommend this speaker. In lieu of this, the speaker drops down a notch for me. It is still a great speaker for the price, however.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1100 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry for the long wait, guys; I wanted to get this one "right." I hope I achieved just that. Good night guys!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1101 of 6914 Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's a great review and those PL300 speakers look incredible! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Doug
post #1102 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance –

Another great review! And even though I am turning out to be an MA fanboy, I’m not just saying that your review was great because you liked the speakers overall. I appreciate your thoroughness and honesty.

I am glad you had some “wow” moments with the PL300’s, but I was initially a bit surprised that you and moreso your wife, found the treble to be edgy and bright sometimes, especially considering that my main focus when auditioning these same speakers was on those two exact qualities, which I heard none of. As a former owner of the GS60’s, I can admit that while they had very good transparency, they could be edgy and sibilant with some material. I can honestly say that I heard absolutely none of that in my audition of the PL300’s, even though I was waiting for it to rear it’s ugly head.

Now I’m not one that feels everyone’s living room has to be filled with room treatments to sound good, as long as you have done a reasonable job of softening the room with curtains, carpet and soft furniture. But ... please correct me if I’m wrong, upon a closer look at your dealer’s demo room, it appears that there is quite a bit of exposed glass and bare walls in there. Whereas the demo room was acoustically treated that I listened to the PL300’s in. Frankly I’m surprised that you didn’t have stronger complaints about the treble in your dealer’s room.

About the bass, or lack there of, in your audition. Considering that we had opposite experiences in this area as well (I felt the PL300’s were bottom heavy, you felt they were lean), it seems, as you implied that this too was the effect of the room.

The only thing I can’t comment on is the soundstage width and off-axis performance. I didn’t focus too much on those things when I listened. I will have to see about going back for another listen to see if I notice the sound collapsing when sitting off center.

Again, thanks for your informative review.
post #1103 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance -

I know you will appreciate this .. .

There aren't that many speaker reviews out there on models that use a ribbon tweeter, but I have been doing my spongey best to read up on the pros and cons of the technology. Until now, I had no real interest in reading the Stereophile review of the Aerial 20T’s because frankly they are just so far out of my league that I didn’t pay them much attention. Well, since the 20T’s use a ribbon tweeter, I thought what the hell, lets see what the reviewer thinks of the sound of that tweeter.

It seems that the incredible detail I heard from the PL300’s is not unusual for a ribbon, but I found it very interesting that the comments in the Stereophile review of the 20T virtually mirrored those made by me earlier in this thread about the MA PL300's. I swear that I did not read the Aerial review prior to making those comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereophile review of Aerial 20T's View Post

“Driven by a moderately powerful tube amp or a transistorized monster, the 20T's ribbon tweeter let know it was producing the high frequencies—and that's not a criticism. A ribbon sounds different from a moving-coil dome tweeter; without a doubt, it resolves much more information. There wasn't a familiar LP or CD in my collection that didn't surprise me with heretofore hidden details that were now suddenly, obviously there through the 20T.

These were genuine, musically significant details, not peak-induced accentuations, because the 20T's tweeter was also one of the smoothest, sweetest, airiest high-frequency reproducers I've ever heard. I'm sure ribbon aficionados reading this are saying, "So what else is new?"

I can’t help but think that the experience I had with the $9,000 PL300’s was shockingly close to the description of the $28,500 Aerials. A bold claim, sure, but with technology becoming better and cheaper all the time, I don’t think that it is out of the realm of believability, especially when you take into account things like the economies of scale that MA can use to drive the cost down.

Just some food for thought.
post #1104 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Tim, I believe Aerial recently released an upgrade to the 20T's as well as a price increase, putting them around a cool $35,000 now
post #1105 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Nuance, thank you so much for the detailed, thorough, and heart-felt review. Excellent stuff!
post #1106 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It's interesting that sponge and nuance had different impressions of the top and bottom end. I guess it goes to show how much room setup can effect the sound. I do not believe the Mcintosh amps would have produced a piercing top end, they are known for having a smooth, almost tube like, top end.

post #1107 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

It's interesting that sponge and nuance had different impressions of the top and bottom end. I guess it goes to show how much room setup can effect the sound. I do not believe the Mcintosh amps would have produced a piercing top end, they are known for having a smooth, almost tube like, top end.

It might also show how much speaker characteristics and one's individual response to it can affect one's impression of the sound, and how, perhaps, well-designed amplifiers don't actually have a "sound".

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #1108 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is a teaser for now, gentlemen:

Sorry about the crappy pics; my camera sucks. That's just another thing I need to buy.

Can I permenantly borrow your speakers?

post #1109 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now I'm not one that feels everyone's living room has to be filled with room treatments to sound good, as long as you have done a reasonable job of softening the room with curtains, carpet and soft furniture. But ... please correct me if I'm wrong, upon a closer look at your dealer's demo room, it appears that there is quite a bit of exposed glass and bare walls in there. Whereas the demo room was acoustically treated that I listened to the PL300's in. Frankly I'm surprised that you didn't have stronger complaints about the treble in your dealer's room.

The room most certainly played a role in the harsh high frequencies, so I made sure to mention that in the review. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though, especially considering the room was less than ideal (you're right about all the glass and bare walls).

Quote:

About the bass, or lack there of, in your audition. Considering that we had opposite experiences in this area as well (I felt the PL300's were bottom heavy, you felt they were lean), it seems, as you implied that this too was the effect of the room.

Yes, it certainly was. All of those speakers in circumference around the PL300's topped off with a lot of bare walls and glass again didn't make for an ideal room. Nonetheless the speakers impressed the heck out of me, and in a very poor room no less. That is why they remain in my top 5 best speakers of all time (that I have heard).

Quote:

The only thing I can't comment on is the soundstage width and off-axis performance. I didn't focus too much on those things when I listened. I will have to see about going back for another listen to see if I notice the sound collapsing when sitting off center.

Again, thanks for your informative review.

You are welcome.

As far as the soundstage; again, the room sucked. And the funny thing is this room was the best set up room in the entire store. Now you know why I don't like going there.

I really did enjoy the PL300's. I would not hesitate purchasing a pair in Santos Rosewood if I had the money. I can only imagine how much better they'd sound in a treated room. Again, I highly recommend them!
Quote:

Nuance -

I know you will appreciate this .. .

There aren't that many speaker reviews out there on models that use a ribbon tweeter, but I have been doing my spongey best to read up on the pros and cons of the technology. Until now, I had no real interest in reading the Stereophile review of the Aerial 20T's because frankly they are just so far out of my league that I didn't pay them much attention. Well, since the 20T's use a ribbon tweeter, I thought what the hell, lets see what the reviewer thinks of the sound of that tweeter.

It seems that the incredible detail I heard from the PL300's is not unusual for a ribbon, but I found it very interesting that the comments in the Stereophile review of the 20T virtually mirrored those made by me earlier in this thread about the MA PL300's. I swear that I did not read the Aerial review prior to making those comments.

I can't help but think that the experience I had with the $9,000 PL300's was shockingly close to the description of the $28,500 Aerials. A bold claim, sure, but with technology becoming better and cheaper all the time, I don't think that it is out of the realm of believability, especially when you take into account things like the economies of scale that MA can use to drive the cost down.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for the comparison! I don't doubt that the newer and better engineered technology can get close to the performance of the 20T's for 1/3 the price. I'd love to hear the B&W 802D's again as well as the Aerial 20T's in comparison. I can honestly say, based on my memories, I much preferred the PL300's in comparison to the B&W 802D's, but I'd love to do a side-by-side comparo.
Quote:

Tim, I believe Aerial recently released an upgrade to the 20T's as well as a price increase, putting them around a cool $35,000 now

Woooooooow! On second though, I don't want to hear them; not at that price.
Quote:

Nuance, thank you so much for the detailed, thorough, and heart-felt review. Excellent stuff!

Thanks bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

So true. I too do not believe the McIntosh gear played a role in what I heard. I am 99.9% positive the room played a major role in the flaws I experienced. But please remember, the high frequencies weren't that bad to my ears, but they were to my wife's. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Can I permenantly borrow your speakers?

LOL! Well, they aren't mine, but if you can get them out of there un-noticed, you can have them.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #1110 of 6914 Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I may know of a Rosewood pair that could be borrowed soon, or at least auditioned
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page