My Journey to find the "perfect" speaker... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

Pre 2000, around $8900. At today's exchange rates: $14000. Thank you, GW.

$14,000? Oh man...
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemed67 View Post

I don't think it's good idea to use dry wall for good sound. I think the quality of the walls, ceilings and floor is the first significant step toward good sound, and dry wall is one of the worst things acoustically. I assume you can't change much ceiling and floor, since this is an existing structure, but you can do a lot about walls.

I have tons of the links for acoustic isolation and treatment, but these seem to be the most relevant to you, if you want to tackle this issue seriously.

That is some very helpful info...thanks! I forgot that dry wall was bad for acoustics, something I learned years ago but have not since thought about. I am glad you mentioned something.

You are right Mudslide, Sonus Faber has some models that could be considered the audio equivalent of a beautiful, voluptuous women. The Magnolia in Wauwatosa carries them, so I will check 'em out if I have time this weekend.

Thanks for the info guys; soooooo much good stuff here! Keep it coming!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Oh man...Wauwatosa!

LOL...what's a Wauwatosa? Sounds like something that hurts your feet. I'd see a doctor about that if I were you.



(J/K!)

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #93 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
^ Yup, Wauwatosa is just northwest of Milwaukee. We have a lot of cities and towns named by Indian tribes here in Wisconsin. I am going to head there this weekend to begin my auditioning


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #94 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Mudslide and treedmed, I think I see why you preferred the Amati's over their flagship speaker; the measurements are much better with the Amati's. The Stradivari has a huge bass roll off and a small suckout at around 1400Hz, while the Amati's roll off isn't as sharp. Actually, now that I look again, these two speakers measure fairly similar. They both have the roll off starting before 100Hz and have that exact same dip at around 1400Hz; I wonder what that is about...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #95 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
SF's measure very poorly at that price point, but sound like a million bucks on music. That's one of the reasons that...dare I say it?...measurements aren't everything.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #96 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Mudslide and treedmed, I think I see why you preferred the Amati's over their flagship speaker; the measurements are much better with the Amati's. The Stradivari has a huge bass roll off and a small suckout at around 1400Hz, while the Amati's roll off isn't as sharp. Actually, now that I look again, these two speakers measure fairly similar. They both have the roll off starting before 100Hz and have that exact same dip at around 1400Hz; I wonder what that is about...

Hmm. . . the Stereophile measurements for both of these speakers shows a large hump in the response centered at 70Hz and extension down to 25Hz for the Stradivari and 40Hz extension for the Amati. What measurements are you looking at?

- Tim


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hifisponge is offline  
post #97 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Member
 
treemed67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Measurements are sometimes puzzling. Stereophile writers sometimes find correlations, sometimes are puzzled why performance doesn't match expectations based on measurements. I had Sonus Faber Stradivari in my house for months and really enjoyed them. I was very apprehensive that Amati won't match their level of musicality. Within 30 minutes of listening Amati, my fears were gone. After they were fully broken in it was obvious that they are not taking second place to Stradivari, but quite the contrary. Most of what it did better, I contribute to much narrower baffle. Soundstaging is better, they are tiny bit more transparent. The idea behind Stradivari is that wide baffle would focus more midrange sound, as the sound would bounce off the wood. They were modeling it after the instrument, violin. And midranges maybe are a bit more prominent, but sacrificing just a tiny bit of that feeling that you get with Amati where everything seems suspended in space. The differences are relatively subtle, but in my book in favor or Amati.

What Stradivari does better is a bit more powerful bass due to larger woofer.
I didn't miss that, as even in that department I find Amati plentifully extended yet tuneful and well behaved. These speakers are really coherent from top to bottom.
treemed67 is offline  
post #98 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Hmm. . . the Stereophile measurements for both of these speakers shows a large hump in the response centered at 70Hz and extension down to 25Hz for the Stradivari and 40Hz extension for the Amati. What measurements are you looking at?

stereophile's, just as you, but I am looking at the slow decline in the FR starting around 50Hz and ending at 200Hz at -8 dB. From the midbass and on there is that gradual roll off before the crossover to the midrange. I wonder what that 8dB up slope sounds like?

Yes, measurements don't ensure a speaker will sound good, but in my experience it helps. Maybe a little parametric EQ could level out that upward bass hump...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #99 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Member
 
treemed67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amatis are definitelly doing better than 40Hz, I think in my room they are easily sub 30Hz
treemed67 is offline  
post #100 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemed67 View Post

Measurements are sometimes puzzling. Stereophile writers sometimes find correlations, sometimes are puzzled why performance doesn't match expectations based on measurements. I had Sonus Faber Stradivari in my house for months and really enjoyed them. I was very apprehensive that Amati won't match their level of musicality. Within 30 minutes of listening Amati, my fears were gone. After they were fully broken in it was obvious that they are not taking second place to Stradivari, but quite the contrary. Most of what it did better, I contribute to much narrower baffle. Soundstaging is better, they are tiny bit more transparent. The idea behind Stradivari is that wide baffle would focus more midrange sound, as the sound would bounce off the wood. They were modeling it after the instrument, violin. And midranges maybe are a bit more prominent, but sacrificing just a tiny bit of that feeling that you get with Amati where everything seems suspended in space. The differences are relatively subtle, but in my book in favor or Amati.

What Stradivari does better is a bit more powerful bass due to larger woofer.
I didn't miss that, as even in that department I find Amati plentifully extended yet tuneful and well behaved. These speakers are really coherent from top to bottom.

I would certainly love to hear a pair, even though I can't afford them. I doubt magnolia carries the more top of the line Sonus Fabers, but who knows. Either way, I will attempt to get some time with them. Thanks treemed!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #101 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Member
 
treemed67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, don't forget that measurements in YOUR ROOM, may be quite different from the measurements they get. It seems to me they are interacting well with many rooms, and I have never heard of a serious complaint in performance from these top Sonus Faber speakers.
treemed67 is offline  
post #102 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemed67 View Post

Also, don't forget that measurements in YOUR ROOM, may be quite different from the measurements they get. It seems to me they are interacting well with many rooms, and I have never heard of a serious complaint in performance from these top Sonus Faber speakers.

That is very impressive. After 200Hz they are pretty darn flat. Like I said, I certainly need to get some time in with the Amati's.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #103 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Member
 
treemed67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nuance, where do you live? If you are anywhere near me, you can come and listen to them. I can assure you almost 100% that Magnolia won't carry these models.
But call Sumiko, I think they are distributors, and they'll find out.

If I like PodiumS when I hear them in Colorado, I'll get a pair of them too. The final verdict is really how they sound in YOUR ROOM.
treemed67 is offline  
post #104 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemed67 View Post

Nuance, where do you live? If you are anywhere near me, you can come and listen to them. I can assure you almost 100% that Magnolia won't carry these models.
But call Sumiko, I think they are distributors, and they'll find out.

If I like PodiumS when I hear them in Colorado, I'll get a pair of them too. The final verdict is really how they sound in YOUR ROOM.

Agreed, my room is what's important.

I live in Wisconsin just north of Milwaukee. Where are you located?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #105 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Member
 
treemed67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in Chicago area.
treemed67 is offline  
post #106 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemed67 View Post

I'm in Chicago area.

reeeeeeeaaallllly? Perhaps we can get together then. Cool deal!

I am looking forward to your impressions of the Podiums. And you are right, that is a long drive. Have a safe trip man.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #107 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifisponge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 7,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

stereophile's, just as you, but I am looking at the slow decline in the FR starting around 50Hz and ending at 200Hz at -8 dB. From the midbass and on there is that gradual roll off before the crossover to the midrange. I wonder what that 8dB downslope sounds like?

Yes, measurements don't ensure a speaker will sound good, but in my experience it helps. Maybe a little parametric EQ could level out that downward bass slope...

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. Here's the FR graph of the Amati Anniversario:



If this is the graph you are looking at, I think you are looking at it backwards. The way I see it, there is an 8dB rise from the lower midrange through the midbass. A "roll-off" would mean that there would be a downward slope going from right (the midrange) to left (the bass). When looking at a FR graph, everything should be viewed as relative to the midrange.

Because of the elevated bass, the Amati speaker should be placed in a relatively large room, well away from the walls, otherwise is it likely to sound bloated and bottom-heavy.

If you want to see some impressive FR plots, checkout just about any high-end Revel speaker, or even Paradigm's Studio or Signature line. Here's a couple of examples:

Revel Ultima Studio - $11k pair (in 2000)


Paradigm Signature S8 - $6K pair


Both of the speakers above have a mild roll-off in the bass, but when placed in an average room, due to room gain, the bass will flatten out.

- Tim


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hifisponge is offline  
post #108 of 6914 Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Alimentall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Home by the sea
Posts: 14,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nuance, you know what I'm going to say. If you can, try out some NHT Fours. They're not perfect, of course, but do hit some of your points pretty darn well. Big soundstage, accurate, *very* resolving. Very clean sounding, not a lot of color, except the bass is a bit thick compared to an acoustic suspension design. But then, a lot of intrepid people are mixing the bookshelf version with dual Evolution subwoofers. That's a nice combo. I've heard the Fours, though, take out $6K-$8K speakers, at least if you like their semi unique sound.

Another choice appears to be the AV123 Strata Minis as they have that ribbon, dipole thing going. The Revel F12 perhaps if the F32 is out.

John
Alimentall is offline  
post #109 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post


Since before I can remember and up until present day, I have listened to many speakers, however no speaker I have run across has ever been perfect to my ears.

To conclude, I am looking for a speaker with the open and airiness of a Vandersteen, the dynamics of a Klipsch horn, the sound stage of planar (without the added coloration) and a price that won’t break the bank or give my wife a reason to hate me. Add in a shake of accuracy and a dash of a well balanced treble extension, and that is my "perfect" speaker. Does such thing exist? Is something along these lines in the works?

Although no speaker is perfect the physics of most (bass becomes omnidirectional while the midrange is directional on most box speakers; reflections from the cabinet come right through the thin driver membrane when the sound stops; planars suffer from lobing and poor power response) is inherently flawed. Conventional drivers and passive cross-overs are not well suited to high efficiency where you need it in the power spectrum. An 88dB/2.83 V tweeter means an 88dB sensitive speaker even though you'd benefit from the 100dB you might otherwise net in the woofer department. Many go downhill from there with poor implementation choices like tweeter "diffusers" that store high frequency energy and cost-cutting measures like insufficiently braced cabinets (no more than 4 square inches of unbraced surface is a nice rule of thumb).

When you want exceptional performance you have to get away from those problems. Siegfried LInkwitz's Orion actively tri-amplified dynamic driver dipole is exceptional in all areas but maximum output below 40Hz. Think ESL midrange, no tonal change any where in the room, a couch-wide imaging sweet spot with some extra toe-in, limited side-wall interaction, and the most natural bass from a loud speaker. His actively bi-amplified Pluto omni-directional speaker is very good (the mid-bass transmission line absorbs 99% of the back wave in an enclosure which may be as stiff as 4" concrete) but needs the sub-woofer for music at higher levels, lacks the last bit of the Orions' transparency, has the usual image collapse into the nearer speaker as you move off-center, and doesn't have the Orion's soundstage depth but what do you expect for the price?

When you want a reasonable price tag to go with that you have to move away from traditional distribution channels with 5-10X parts cost markups. The Orion is a screaming deal at $8500 for a turnkey system (compared to the $37.5K the active Beethoven Elite ran without amplifiers) and becomes more attractive at $2500 for parts + license when you provide labor and amplifiers. The Plutos run $3000 assembled or < $800 in parts and license.

I've lived with both, and wouldn't recommend anything but an Orion if you can live with the placement constraints regardless of budget.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com

Earl Geddes's Magnum Cum Laude should be interesting too, matching a compression driver on a wave guide with his phase plug that absorbs reflections across the horn to a 15" woofer with a wide cabinet and large radiuses to control diffraction.

The Seas coaxials show a lot of promise in a dipole with the coaxial drivers providing wonderful power response; you might try the Nomad Ronin which replaces a Seas Excel mid-bass phase plug with a small tweeter although dipole bass works better.
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
post #110 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. Here's the FR graph of the Amati Anniversario:



If this is the graph you are looking at, I think you are looking at it backwards. The way I see it, there is an 8dB rise from the lower midrange through the midbass. A "roll-off" would mean that there would be a downward slope going from right (the midrange) to left (the bass). When looking at a FR graph, everything should be viewed as relative to the midrange.

Yes, that is the graph I was looking at. And yes, you are correct; my terminology is all messed up. I was looking at it from front to back, but I was apparently not paying enough attention because I didn't convey was I was thinking properly to the keyboard. oops!

So yes, that 8dB rise through the midbass is what I was speaking of. I was worried about the presentation of the bass (possibly being boomy) in a medium to small sized room. But hey, I can't afford those so why should I worry? LOL. Also, parametric EQ might be able to level it off some. Either way, I am going to get an audition of those speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Nuance, you know what I'm going to say. If you can, try out some NHT Fours. They're not perfect, of course, but do hit some of your points pretty darn well. Big soundstage, accurate, *very* resolving. Very clean sounding, not a lot of color, except the bass is a bit thick compared to an acoustic suspension design. But then, a lot of intrepid people are mixing the bookshelf version with dual Evolution subwoofers. That's a nice combo. I've heard the Fours, though, take out $6K-$8K speakers, at least if you like their semi unique sound.

Another choice appears to be the AV123 Strata Minis as they have that ribbon, dipole thing going. The Revel F12 perhaps if the F32 is out.

Hey John, how have you been? I was wondering if you would ever venture into this thread.

Thanks for the recommendations. The Strata Mini is already on my list and I have added the NHT Fours. And just out of curiosity, if I were to go the NHT route, do you offer AVS discounts?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post

Although no speaker is perfect the physics of most (bass becomes omnidirectional while the midrange is directional on most box speakers; reflections from the cabinet come right through the thin driver membrane when the sound stops; planars suffer from lobing and poor power response) is inherently flawed. Conventional drivers and passive cross-overs are not well suited to high efficiency where you need it in the power spectrum. An 88dB/2.83 V tweeter means an 88dB sensitive speaker even though you'd benefit from the 100dB you might otherwise net in the woofer department. Many go downhill from there with poor implementation choices like tweeter "diffusers" that store high frequency energy and cost-cutting measures like insufficiently braced cabinets (no more than 4 square inches of unbraced surface is a nice rule of thumb).

When you want exceptional performance you have to get away from those problems. Siegfried LInkwitz's Orion actively tri-amplified dynamic driver dipole is exceptional in all areas but maximum output below 40Hz. Think ESL midrange, no tonal change any where in the room, a couch-wide imaging sweet spot with some extra toe-in, limited side-wall interaction, and the most natural bass from a loud speaker. His actively bi-amplified Pluto omni-directional speaker is very good (the mid-bass transmission line absorbs 99% of the back wave in an enclosure which may be as stiff as 4" concrete) but needs the sub-woofer for music at higher levels, lacks the last bit of the Orions' transparency, has the usual image collapse into the nearer speaker as you move off-center, and doesn't have the Orion's soundstage depth but what do you expect for the price?

Thank you for the information. I have studied some of Linkwitz's methods, and he seems to know his stuff. I don't, however, know how I feel about omni-directional speakers. Isn't the point to treat the reflections of the room so the reflection waves don't reach your ears before the direct sound waves from the speakers? I have listened to Def Tech's and Mirage, and I didn't like the sound. Of course, I have more faith in Linkwitz's design and engineering skills than I do in those who work for the later mentioned companies.

I am in total agreement about minimizing reflections and cabinet resonance. This is why I was eventually drawn to the Vandersteen line of speakers (due to their design and limited baffle). I love the open, airy sound of the Vandies, but they aren't dynamic enough for a decent sized home theater. At that point my search turned to Thiel, but they are pretty darn expensive if you add an entire 7.1 system up. Drat!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #111 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tonygeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Near Cape Cod
Posts: 5,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I have studied some of Linkwitz's methods, and he seems to know his stuff.

He DOES know his stuff.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tonygeno is offline  
post #112 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I don't, however, know how I feel about omni-directional speakers. Isn't the point to treat the reflections of the room so the reflection waves don't reach your ears before the direct sound waves from the speakers? I have listened to Def Tech's and Mirage, and I didn't like the sound. Of course, I have more faith in Linkwitz's design and engineering skills than I do in those who work for the later mentioned companies.

I am in total agreement about minimizing reflections and cabinet resonance. This is why I was eventually drawn to the Vandersteen line of speakers (due to their design and limited baffle). I love the open, airy sound of the Vandies, but they aren't dynamic enough for a decent sized home theater. At that point my search turned to Thiel, but they are pretty darn expensive if you add an entire 7.1 system up. Drat!


In my aural world dipole speakers lack the clear quality that you seek, Nuance. Further, I believe that Thiel and other coaxial speakers suffer from the 'sock-in-the-driver' phenomenon. Highs are muted to extinction in some implementations and definitely come up short in the airy sound you crave. (But that's just one knucklehead's opinion.)

Incidentally, in case you aren't aware (I'd guess you are) there are several, minor tweaks one can do to less expensive speaker cabinets to minimize, even eliminate audible level cabinet resonance.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #113 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post


Incidentally, in case you aren't aware (I'd guess you are) there are several, minor tweaks one can do to less expensive speaker cabinets to minimize, even eliminate audible level cabinet resonance.

I am aware, but my awareness is certainly not the same as being educated in that area. Would you mind educating me in that department?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #114 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I am aware, but my awareness is certainly not the same as being educated in that area. Would you mind educating me in that department?

I'll PM you later.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #115 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
howaboutthat41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The multitude of listening preference styles (which can change over time within an individual, let alone vary across arrays of listeners), room dynamics, musical forms (hi-fi versus HT, along with all of the various types of recordings we enjoy) and, for decision/sanity reinforcement purposes, frequency measurements, led me to hone my focus on Revel (whose sound, most importantly, I love). I highly recommend them for consideration (being most familiar with the Performa line, and M22s in particular). To my ear, they combine the best of "musicalness" and accuracy. Good luck in your quest!
howaboutthat41 is offline  
post #116 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post


Thank you for the information. I have studied some of Linkwitz's methods, and he seems to know his stuff. I don't, however, know how I feel about omni-directional speakers.

Having drivers on the front of a speaker doesn't mean it's not omni-directional at some frequencies. An 11' long 100Hz wave wraps around a domestically acceptable 8" wide speaker like it wasn't there radiating uniformly in all directions, and a 1KHz wave at over a foot has substantial energy to the sides and rear. Your vocal fundamentals are being sprayed all over the place from a conventional speaker.

The some frequencies part is where you get into trouble. While your brain does some separation between the direct sound and reverberant field, you need the frequency spectrum from the two to be sufficiently similar (trending slightly downward with increasing frequency in the reverberant field) for a natural sound.

Ideally reflections would be delayed at least 6ms or attenuated perhaps 10dB; although it's more important for natural sound to get the uniform spectrum than to be only missing pieces of the spectrum in your early reflections. Imaging still shifts when you have a strong side-wall reflection at some frequencies from a conventional speaker, so the increased directivity at high frequencies doesn't even help you in that department.

Not coincidentally, Vandersteens have baffles that are smaller at high frequencies for more uniform but wider dispersion.

You can (and should) still treat the early reflections from an omnipolar speaker, preferably with diffusion that will cut the reflection magnitude and preserve the power response.

Wave guides and acoustically small dipoles (While they have output in both directions, planar speakers are a poorer approximation of a true dipole's cosine alpha radiation pattern) get you the uniform output with reduced sidewall reflections thus making the treatment less important.

Off my first Orion setup in a 13x19x8' room, speakers on a short wall 4' off the front and 8' apart, listening position 11' off the front wall, 30 degree toe-in I calculated first reflections at

front wall 8ms delay, -6dB attenuation from distance, 19 degrees
229 degrees off-axis total
dipole difference: -3.7dB
total attenuation: -9.7dB

ceiling 4ms delay, -3.5dB attenuation from distance, 45 degrees
45 degrees off axis total
dipole difference: -3dB
total attenuation: -6.5dB

side wall 3.4ms delay, -3dB attenuation from distance, 37 degrees
67 degrees off axis total
dipole difference: -8.2dB
total attenuation: -11.2dB

While that front wall reflection may not be there at some frequencies with conventional speakers it is 8ms out and nearly 10dB down (insignificant) while a conventional speaker would have a -3dB side wall reflection just 3.4ms out which the dipole reduces to -11.2dB. That's a good trade-off.




Quote:


Isn't the point to treat the reflections of the room so the reflection waves don't reach your ears before the direct sound waves from the speakers?

Since a straight line is shorted than any two connected lines sharing its endpoints the direct sound will reach you first. Imaging will be better if you limit the reflections via absorption, diffusion, or loud speaker directivity. Increased but uniform directivity will get you more clarity at larger distances as from a wave guide or acoustically small dipole.

Quote:


I have listened to Def Tech's and Mirage, and I didn't like the sound.

Other than the characteristic of tonal balance not changing much when you move around the room there isn't any similarity with the Deftechs (I've owned BP8s in the same room). The Deftech problem is in the implementation (they're not accurate compared to other speakers at their price tag and the imaging is vague, perhaps due to unit-to-unit variations in the low cost drivers, perhaps for other reasons) and not the radiation pattern (which may still narrow too much in the midrange due to the high XO required by the 3/4" tweeters used). I haven't heard Mirage bipoles.

Quote:


Of course, I have more faith in Linkwitz's design and engineering skills than I do in those who work for the later mentioned companies.

You might look for an audition at http://orion.quicksytes.com We LInkwitz builders+owners are a bit fanatical and often willing to demonstrate.

Quote:


I am in total agreement about minimizing reflections and cabinet resonance. This is why I was eventually drawn to the Vandersteen line of speakers (due to their design and limited baffle).

While the Vandersteens aren't bad for a box, a damped transmission line still does a better job but doesn't get used much (B&W's shell-shaped nautilus would be one commercial example).
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
post #117 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

In my aural world dipole speakers lack the clear quality that you seek, Nuance.

Have you tried a decent dipole approximation with dynamic drivers?

While sounds come out the front and back, Planars don't have a cosine alpha radiation pattern through much of their frequency range and ribbons only do in the horizontal plane.

The coaxials also behave differently in open baffle installations. In conventional and dipole installations the cone acts as a wave guide which limits tweeter dispersion thus reducing total power response when the speaker is flat-on-axis. The dipole also limits off-axis response from the midrange, so there's less attenuation when you cross from the cone to the dome.
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
post #118 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

I'll PM you later.

Thanks bud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutthat41 View Post

The multitude of listening preference styles (which can change over time within an individual, let alone vary across arrays of listeners), room dynamics, musical forms (hi-fi versus HT, along with all of the various types of recordings we enjoy) and, for decision/sanity reinforcement purposes, frequency measurements, led me to hone my focus on Revel (whose sound, most importantly, I love). I highly recommend them for consideration (being most familiar with the Performa line, and M22s in particular). To my ear, they combine the best of "musicalness" and accuracy. Good luck in your quest!

Thanks man. I have already added Revel to my list. I have heard their older F30's and loved them. It's too bad they replaced them with the F32 which has smaller drivers. Nonetheless, I will be taking a trip south to listen to some more Revel's again. Thanks for the recommendation!

Drew...wow! I had to read that twice to fully comprehend everything. You sure know your technical mumbo jumbo.

Thank you for that detailed explanation of the Orions and omni-directional sound. I had no idea that treating first reflections was necessary with that style of speaker. In fact, I always thought there was no point. If I ever get a pair of omni's in my room, I will be sure to see how much of an effect first reflection treatments make. Everyone's ears are different but I am sure I will notice a difference. Thanks again for your info...I am off to read it for a third time just to ensure I didn't miss anything.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #119 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
drhack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago Subs
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

reeeeeeeaaallllly? Perhaps we can get together then. Cool deal!

I am looking forward to your impressions of the Podiums. And you are right, that is a long drive. Have a safe trip man.

Great thread!

There seem to be a lot of meets for HT, but not for audio - interested in doing one. I am in Chicago area as well with Aerial 7bs if you want to audition. I would love to listen to treemed's Amati.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
drhack is offline  
post #120 of 6914 Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bone215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cherry Hill NJ
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
LSR6332
Linear Spatial Reference
Studio Monitor System

The LSR6332 studio monitor is designed for use as a near or mid-field reference monitor, or a soffit-mounted main monitor in applications requiring exceptional spectral accuracy and high SPL capability.

deeper than the deepest ocean
Bone215 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off