post #2611 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsum View Post

Anyone know the full list of HK daughter companies?

Drop-down at top right: http://www.harman.com/search.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

LOL, how old are you?

They're old conventions that aren't too applicable, today.

"East" and "West" coast sound----haven't heard those terms since the '60's!

Back then, "West" coast sound (JBL/Altec Lansing/Cerwin-Vega) supposedly had sizzling highs, thumping lows and not much in the middle---very "in your face". "East" coast sound (AR, KLH, Advent, Cambridge) was more laid back, neutral, but not "exciting" (to some).

It was always fun reading the proponents of each taunting the other.

For the record: current companies using the above trade names may or may not have anything to do with what they originally were in terms of sound characteristics and build quality.
post #2613 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Well, today's high end speakers sound more alike than different. Hifisponge's last review can attest to that. My guess is in 20 years from now they all going to sound almost if not exactly identical. Cone and dome drivers come close to the end of progression, and only enclosure and crossover design can make a difference.
post #2614 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashick View Post

OK, I will shoot this sick horse -- someone has to!

HK international is the parent company to Harman Kardon, Revel, etc. They have their laboratory in Canada and build the Revel speakers there.

Got it?

Yes, exactly. Those are Harman International, not Harman Kardon. Which is what I said: "I know the parent company, Harman International, has multiple brands."

Ford owns Jaguar (or did up until recently). But you wouldn't say that there are high-end luxury Ford models. Those are Jaguar, part of the same parent company, not "Ford" cars you buy at a Ford dealer.

Revel isn't Harman Kardon. Harman Kardon is Harman Kardon, one of many companies under the Harman International group.
post #2615 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

P.S. he has three versions. One is by the composer George Solti. He said he'll check on which the other two are and which one he gave me.

Surely, this was a slip. The composer is Stravinsky. Was Solti the conductor of the one to which you are referring or was Stravinsky?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2616 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

P.S. he has three versions. One is by ... George Solti. He said he'll check on which the other two are and which one he gave me.

My guess is Pierre Boulez

Hope things are well Brandon. I haven't posted in this thread in forever. What did I miss? (don't answer! )

post #2617 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Well, today's high end speakers sound more alike than different.

My guess is in 20 years from now they all going to sound almost if not exactly identical. Cone and dome drivers come close to the end of progression, and only enclosure and crossover design can make a difference.

I disagree. There is a reason we have so many speakers to choose from, today. And we'll have the same number (if not more) to choose from tomorrow. Speaker evolution is not convergent.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #2618 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 PM

I believe this is the CD that Nuance & Dennis was pointing out.

Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps

Product Details
* Composer: Igor Stravinsky
* Conductor: Georg Solti
* Orchestra: Chicago Symphony Orchestra
* Audio CD (November 25, 2003)
* Number of Discs: 1
* Label: Jvc / Xrcd
* ASIN: B0000DBJC9

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0000DBJC9
post #2619 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

How am I wrong? Show me a high end Harman Kardon speaker. I know the parent company, Harman International, has multiple brands. But go to the HK website and the only sepakers on the site are home theater system speakers and multimedia (computer) speakers.

So, please show me one high end HK speaker.

Technically, you are correct. Harman International and HK are not the same thing. HK is a division of Harman International. And you are correct, there are not really any good "Harman Kardon"-branded speakers.

Revel is also a division of Harman International. As is JBL and Infinity.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #2620 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

"East" and "West" coast sound----haven't heard those terms since the '60's!

Hey, those descriptors made it well into the 70s!

post #2621 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anybody vote for this thread getting back on track? or should we take up another page or two discussing the subtleties of the Harmon group with a random poster who has never even contributed to this thread?
post #2622 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:18 PM

OK. Let's get back to Tim. Tim, anything new yet?
post #2623 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
IME, with "quality" high end speakers, once you start EQing the frequency response differences out, the speakers start sounding a lot alike. Ringing and resonances in their myriad forms become the most obvious distinguishing attributes under those conditions.

In particular, I saw this first hand between the W/P8 and the Salon2, where the tweeter differences were the greatest distinguishing attribute between them once I EQed their low frequency responses to be very nearly the same. I can only assume, based on reading materials and posts online, that the extended decay time on the W/P8 tweeter compared to the Salon2 tweeter with audio material containing bells and other "ringing" instruments, is a product of modal ringing of the titanium tweeter. Previously I didn't believe you could hear it, but I can't find any other explanation for the lengthier decay times of those high pitch sounds. I never would have noticed those differences if not A/B'ing those two speakers with bell sounds. The ringing isn't noticeable as a defect except in comparison to other speakers, since the ringing makes the audio output more lively sounding instead of obviously defective.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
post #2624 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

That sounds like a plan Brandon... I haven't been over to Dave's for a while, and I know that you could easily make that journey without having to set aside too much time..

I hadn't spent a huge amount of time in that room, as he was always pretty much just leering over my shoulder...

LOL! That definitely sounds like Dave. I should be able to do a trip to Dave's almost any day of the week. I'm off of work at 4:30 every week day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

[P.S. he has three versions. One is by the composer George Solti. He said he'll check on which the other two are and which one he gave me.]

Actually--Big George is a conductor--most extensively with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The recording may be this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-Sac...164140&sr=1-13

But beware--The Rite of Spring is no Firebird. Many people still find it weird and hard to relate to. It's always been considered a landmark in comtemporary music. I think that's a good thing, but not everyone does.

Edit: I know that link doesn't work--I can't seem to get the entire URL to copy. It keeps getting truncated.

You're right; "The Rite of Spring" is no "Firebird," but I've got both. And that fact that it started a mob riot at the ballet is why I first listened to it - I was intrigued. Although it does have its very odd moments, that's why I like it so much. It is not your typical classical piece. But I'm not your typical "audiophile." Hmm...I hate that word (audiophile). How about, I'm not your typical audio fanatic/music lover?

Quote:

Well, today's high end speakers sound more alike than different. Hifisponge's last review can attest to that. My guess is in 20 years from now they all going to sound almost if not exactly identical. Cone and dome drivers come close to the end of progression, and only enclosure and crossover design can make a difference.

One man's review should not be taken as fact. Everyone hears differently, has different rooms and different front end gear. I recommend NEVER taking anyone on this forum's word as gold. For all you know, you may hate the Salk Song Tower's or Revel Studio's. They may sound nothing like they do in my room.

I am not trying to harp on you; just making a point. No offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Surely, this was a slip. The composer is Stravinsky. Was Solti the conductor of the one to which you are referring or was Stravinsky?

Yes, the composer is Igor Stravinky. I meant the conductor. Thanks for keeping me in check. I will change the post to reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

My guess is Pierre Boulez

Hope things are well Brandon. I haven't posted in this thread in forever. What did I miss? (don't answer! )

Thing are going all right. How have you been?

You've missed a LOT my friend. And that's all I'll say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobot View Post

I believe this is the CD that Nuance & Dennis was pointing out.

Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps

Product Details
* Composer: Igor Stravinsky
* Conductor: Georg Solti
* Orchestra: Chicago Symphony Orchestra
* Audio CD (November 25, 2003)
* Number of Discs: 1
* Label: Jvc / Xrcd
* ASIN: B0000DBJC9

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0000DBJC9

Yup yup! It's amazing!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #2625 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

With all of this talk about Harman and Revel, it seems only appropriate to give a little update on the showdown between the Revels and the Dyns going on in my home.

Listened to some modern R&B today and I found the somewhat forward midrange on the Sapphires was a little hard to take on these already agressively mic'd recordings. The Revels sounded better balanced overall, and I'm finding that I'm really liking the broader soundstage of the Revels on all the material I put through the two sets of speakers.

Well, I know it's not much, but that's the latest.
post #2626 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

LOL! That definitely sounds like Dave. I should be able to do a trip to Dave's almost any day of the week. I'm off of work at 4:30 every week day.

Pick a day buddy... we'll go infiltrate AudioEmporium...

I'm off work Tuesday, but I could break away early any day...

Let me know what day works best...
post #2627 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

With all of this talk about Harman and Revel, it seems only appropriate to give a little update on the showdown between the Revels and the Dyns going on in my home.

Listened to some modern R&B today and I found the somewhat forward midrange on the Sapphires was a little hard to take on these already agressively mic'd recordings. The Revels sounded better balanced overall, and I'm finding that I'm really liking the broader soundstage of the Revels on all the material I put through the two sets of speakers.

Well, I know it's not much, but that's the latest.

What the hell kind of Cr@p is that... what are we paying you for...

I think I speak for everyone here in saying, Maybe you could take a little time to gather your thoughts before you come here and offer up such a; dare I say... H@lf A$$ed tidbit of info like that... How dare you...
post #2628 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I speak for everyone here in saying, Maybe you could take a little time to gather your thoughts before you come here and offer up such a; dare I say... H@lf A$$ed tidbit of info like that... How dare you...

post #2629 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

post #2630 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LMAO!

I'll let you now what days I have open, Patrick. Work sucks, so I usually never know when I will have time until the day is almost over with already. I'll do my best, though.

P.S. Where do you get those awesome extra smileys, Warp?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #2631 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #2632 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 07:17 PM

I wanted to get some opinions and information on the subject of how speaker design has improved over the past 40 years.

I own a pair of Original Kef Concertos. They were built in 1974. They are my main speakers (front left, front right). I inherited them from the parents when they finally decided that they just couldn't fit those huge rectangular boxes into the decor of any room.

To me, they always sounded fantastic. Guests are amazed when I tell them that I don't have a subwoofer connected. The specifications list a nominal frequency response up to 40,000 Hz. To be sure, the sound isn't "in your face", but it seems to be where it should be. Over the years I've upgraded every other component of my AV system, some a few times, when it became clear that there was something significantly better out there.

So my question is, if I was trying to hear a difference in a modern, top-of-the line pair of speakers, what would I listen to? How can I tell if the Kefs have become the weak link in my current AV system?
post #2633 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 PM

30+ years it too long even for speakers. Caps and foam surrounds can go bad and you need some knowledge to repair them. Better get a pair from the late 80's or 90's when the technology matured, or, of course, a new pair.
post #2634 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn View Post

I wanted to get some opinions and information on the subject of how speaker design has improved over the past 40 years.

I own a pair of Original Kef Concertos. They were built in 1974. They are my main speakers (front left, front right). I inherited them from the parents when they finally decided that they just couldn't fit those huge rectangular boxes into the decor of any room.

To me, they always sounded fantastic. Guests are amazed when I tell them that I don't have a subwoofer connected. The specifications list a nominal frequency response up to 40,000 Hz. To be sure, the sound isn't "in your face", but it seems to be where it should be. Over the years I've upgraded every other component of my AV system, some a few times, when it became clear that there was something significantly better out there.

So my question is, if I was trying to hear a difference in a modern, top-of-the line pair of speakers, what would I listen to? How can I tell if the Kefs have become the weak link in my current AV system?

Well, if they still sound good to you, that is really all that matters, but maybe it's just that you haven't been exposed to enough modern speakers to know if there is something better out there. Some of the things to listen for would be improved detail / clarity, less change in sound character as you move out of the sweet-spot or when you stand up, possibley a broader / deeper / more 3D soundstage, and a more natural / transparent sound. In the end a good speaker should get you that much closer to believing that what you are hearing is real rather than just a very good recording. Of course, much of this will rely on the recording and the room the speakers are in as well.
post #2635 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You listen to the same music you've listened to over the past umpteen years you've owned the Kef's. You listen to the exact same music that has made your spine tingle, given you goose bumps and perhaps even brought you to tears. The goal is to emotionally connect with the music. And the goal in speaker hunting is to find a speaker that can do this while still giving you the sense that you are hearing the actual music rather than a pair of speakers reproducing that music. If you can find a "newer, more modern" speaker that has the ability to do this better than your Kef's, you've found your answer.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #2636 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Anybody vote for this thread getting back on track? or should we take up another page or two discussing the subtleties of the Harmon group with a random poster who has never even contributed to this thread?

I disagree, and BTW who are you? If you don't think where things are made makes no difference than you are just wrong. Would you rather have a watch made in Switzerland or Kansas City? Or made in China? Why do the germans and especially the japanese make the most reliable cars in the world? I don't think it's off the wall to assume the same things with speakers or any product.
post #2637 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How can I tell if the Kefs have become the weak link in my current AV system?

Try to get a dealer to loan you for in-home demo a pair of speakers that he thinks will beat your KEFs. Put it to each dealer as a challenge, telling them something like "I have these 35 y.o. KEFs that I think still sound great, but if you can loan me a pair of something for in home demo that you're confident I'll like better, I'll buy them from you."
post #2638 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

I disagree, and BTW who are you? If you don't think where things are made makes no difference than you are just wrong. Would you rather have a watch made in Switzerland or Kansas City? Or made in China? Why do the germans and especially the japanese make the most reliable cars in the world? I don't think it's off the wall to assume the same things with speakers or any product.

I am all about build quality... but honestly, I own a Auto service shop, where exactly did you get the idea that Germans make reliable cars...

Performance cars - yes... Reliable - not so much...

Japanese cars are reliable..
post #2639 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

where exactly did you get the idea that Germans make reliable cars.

Who would you place more reliable besides the japanese?
post #2640 of 6914 Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
I think there's a difference between where products are engineered and designed, and where they're actually made (put together).
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page