AVS Forum banner

My Journey to find the "perfect" speaker...

825K views 7K replies 336 participants last post by  gurkey 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the best A/V forum on the internet, so I hope this thread assists myself and many others.

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Brandon and I am a audio/videoholic.
Since before I can remember and up until present day, I have listened to many speakers, however no speaker I have run across has ever been perfect to my ears. Hmm, perfect is a poor choice of words...how about this: I have not run across a speaker of whose flaws I could live with for a long, long time. Ever since I delved into A/V a number of years ago I have been on a seemingly hopeless quest to find that one "perfect" speaker. I have come close in some instances, but in the end I always yearn for more. So if you don't mind, I would like to share a little of my experience with you and explain to you what I am looking for. Hopefully with your help and recommendations, I can come to a journeys end…well, at least for a while.

Here goes:

All right, concerning myself...I have listened to a lot of crap over the years, but on the other end of the spectrum I have listened to a few very nice speakers, most of which are out of my current price range. So, being a man who strives for (near) perfection in every purchase he makes, I don't know which products will fill that void. I have owned many speakers, the most recent being Canton Ergo 900's, B&W 604's, Rocket 750's and 550's and the Vandersteen 2CE Sigs. Not one pair of speakers on the list was perfect to my ears, but as mentioned, none are or ever will be. However, I want to finally find an affordable solution of whose flaws I can live with for a long, long time.

Here are the requirements that I would love to be met (most of them anyway), unrealistic as they may be…

To die for imaging/wide soundstage/great dispersion - This system needs to be used for Home Theater and perform like a champ in 2-channel and multi-channel music listening. I don’t want to just hear what is coming from before me; I want to be captivated by it! I want the speakers to disappear into the room. I want to hear music, not speakers trying to reproduce music, if that makes sense.

My wife does not understand this hobby as many of us men do, and with that said she wants me to limit my purchase to one system (7.1 at the most). This means finding a set of fronts that will excel at music above all else (home theater is much easier to reproduce than the intricate and delicate dynamics and nuances of musical instruments, in my opinion of course. If I can find a speaker to do the latter, home theater requirements will easily be met). It also means meeting the WAF (aesthetically).

Dynamics, in both meanings of the word - One: able to be run at near reference levels without distortion or tonality changes. Two: able to pick out each and every instrument and every sound and nuance that said instrument makes on a boundary-less soundstage presented before me. The latter definition is more important to me than the first.

Accuracy – I know what you are thinking, it’s a relative and subjective term with no true definition, but I am indeed a stickler for flat frequency responses. Perhaps it’s a mental/anal retentive thing; a way to just appease that part of my brain, but it’s necessary for me nonetheless. I want a speaker that measures flat all the way through. I don’t want to have to worry about treating my room in order to improve the speaker, but rather just treat my room to only treat the reflections. In my opinion, too much EQ is a bad thing, thus I am against all EQ except parametric. Still, wouldn’t it be amazing to only have to EQ (treat) the room due to its imperfections rather than any of your equipment’s imperfections? Perhaps I am grasping at straws here, but one can hope.

Efficiency – I don’t mind shelling out for good equipment in order to get the most out of my speakers, but there is so much voodoo and snake oil out there…it’s disheartening, not to mention I will have to save over time in order to be able to afford this equipment. Still - the more true power (the actual power when measured with all channels driven), the better. And, of course, low total harmonic distortion measured when under duress. Obviously that is a completely different topic for another time (amplification). However, in lieu of the above mentioned, an efficient speaker that can be run on modest power (until I purchase the power that the speakers deserve) would be wonderful. This is the one place the Vandersteens lack…well, that and the looks department to appease the WAF.

Cost - I am just an average Joe that makes an average salary at an average job with a not so average passion for his hobbies, especially A/V. I also have a not so average wife (yes, she’s that good), and I have to think about her through all of this as well. I don’t have the luxury of being able to purchase what I want when I want and then compare it in my own home without worrying about cost. And this is no knock on those that can do such, God bless them. Due to cost restraints and my personal experience with what I have listened to over the years I have spent in this hobby, Internet Direct offers the best value to performance ratio in my opinion. And for the record, my arrival at this conclusion has nothing to do with the ID “fanboys” or the ID “haters,” or the fact that I get along with many of the ID supporters. It’s a simply judgment call that I have made based on my listening experiences. It is also not a knock on B&M speakers as they make some amazing products. And I am certainly not saying that all ID product are better than their rival B&M products in that same price range (I have heard garbage from both ID and B&M). But if one can eliminate most of the markup created by a local shop, the decision becomes a no brainer for me – look to ID first. This line of thinking is not static, however. If I can find a good deal on a used product or receive a nice discount on B&M equipment – awesome, I’m all over it.

With all of that being said, I do not have a set price range. I would like to keep things as low in cost as possible, but if I find a true contender that can win me over, I will try to save for it. However, let's not get too crazy here.

To conclude, I am looking for a speaker with the open and airiness of a Vandersteen, the dynamics of a Klipsch horn, the sound stage of beffleless speakers and a price that won’t break the bank or give my wife a reason to hate me. Add in a shake of accuracy and a dash of a well balanced treble extension, and that is my "perfect" speaker. Does such thing exist? Is something along these lines in the works?

So there you have it; my requirements, however unreachable they are.

In lieu of all this, I have no issues at all with purchasing the front speakers and adding the rest of the multi-channel system later.

So that brings me to the present and the decisions I have to make. Where do I go from here? Many of you have been doing this much longer than me, so can you offer any advice? And, of course, everyone’s ears and opinions are different, so I am specifically looking for opinions and some recommendations on what to listen to. I know better than to purchase based on someone else’s opinions, but I assure you they will be taken to heart and appreciated, though taken with a grain of salt.

Thank you all! Sorry for the very lengthy read. Feel free to PM me if you feel you may be flamed or challenged on your recommendation.

Thanks,
Brandon

Update - 3-23-08

Having listened to many speakers, I'm going to chose a "perfect speaker" for my ears based on price categories. So, here is what my favorites are at each price point thus far:

My "perfect speaker" under $1000/pair:
Vandersteen 1C

My "perfect speaker" under $3000/pair:
Salk SongTower

My cost no object "ultimate speaker:"
Salk SoundScape

As you can see there are a lot more price categories out there, which is why I will continue my journey until I've picked something for each category. No, I can't listen to everything, but that won't stop me from trying.

Jump to Audition # 1
Monitor Audio RS6 and Vandersteen 1C

Jump to Audition # 2
Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 and Monitor Audio GS60

Jump to Audition # 3
Vandersteen 2CE Sig II, Vienna Acoustics Schonberg, Sonus Faber Concerto Domus, Vandersteen Quatro and Vandersteen Model 5A

Jump to Audition # 4
Swan Diva 6.2, Acculine A3, Onix Rocket 850 Signature, Salk SongTower QWT, Definitive Technology BP10B and NHT Classic 2

Jump to Audition # 5
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1

Jump to Audition # 6
Dynaudio Contour S1.4

Jump to Audition # 7
SVS MTS Series, Onix Rocket 850 and Paradigm Studio 100 v.4

Jump to Audition # 8
Monitor Audio PL300

Jump to my final decision...for now.

Salk SongTower's

Bonus Speaker Review
Chase Home Theater WAF-1's

My journey's end - the final choice (including review)
Salk SongTower RT (ribbon tweeter) - the first pair ever built

Unfortunately I have not added all of the speakers I have auditioned to this thread. It is very time consumming, and it would mean trying to remember all of the qualities of every speaker I've listened to before creating this thread (about another two dozen speakers or so). However, if you are interested, please PM me and I will answer your questions to the best of my ability (memory).

Finally, I want this thread to be more than my "journey." I want this thread to be used as a timeline of events for everyone and their search for their "perfect" speaker. Please don't let this die, even if and when I find my speaker and am content with it. In that event, the journey must continue, but now it's your journey folks.

See less See more
#353 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/12146194

Couldn't find any measurements on the 5A's, but did find some on your other great speaker of the day - the 2Ce sig II's

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...dy/index4.html

Based on the FR, it would seem that these are a slightly bright and detailed speaker. Does that sound about right?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I had the same experience with the Sonus Faber's that you did. They had a very distinct hollow quality. Come to find out, this is common with speakers that us a first-order crossover. If you are not posistioned in just the right spot, the crossover causes a deep suckout at the transition between the tweeter and the mid driver.

To my ears they weren't bright at all, but rather very neutral. Maybe something in the listening room tamed that slow 3dB rise?

So the Sonus Faber's use a first order crossover like the Vandersteen's do? Hmm, interesting. The different between the two was night and day and they were right next to each other. I remained in the sweet spot the entire time, but maybe their was some weird room reflections or something, though that's probably unlikely. It's good to know someone else felt the same way (besides the two guys with me) because that tells me it wasn't the room acoustics. I certainly learned I do not like that hollow sound.

Oh, enjoy your music collection journey (that's the best one)!

#354 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ /forum/post/12146398

Nuance, did you listen to the 3A Signatures as well or did you skip from the 2A Sig IIs to the 5A's?

I auditioned the 2A Sig II's and 3A Sigs several months ago during my own quest for audio perfection and I preferred the 3A Sigs over the 2A Sig II's. But, budget wise, the 3 A Sigs were out of my range.

Back then, the 3 A Sigs shared the same tweeter and midrange as the 5A's, but the 2 A Sig II's did not. Has this changed over the past few months?

Anyway, just wondering your impression of the 3 A Sig's.

Thanks again for this wonderful thread and for sharing your journey. I for one have learned a ton from it and will make better judgements on my next speaker purchase.

Sean

I did not listen to the 3A Sigs because the newer 2CE Sig II's (also called MKII's) now share the tweeter and midrange with the 3A Sig. I have heard the 3A in the past, but the 2CE Sig II came very close due to sharing those drivers.

I do not know if the 3A Sig still shares the same midrange and tweeter with the model 5, but if I had to guess I would say no. I think once the Model 5 was revamped into the 5A, that changed. I could be wrong, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realred2 /forum/post/12146404

are you limiting your choices to a couple brands? From reading through this it seems like it.

No, I am not. Read back a few pages and you will see that I listened to Monitor Audio Silver and Gold series, Vandersteen, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics and Paradigm so far. From the brands and models auditioned I only liked a few...if that's what you mean. I am also listening to some NHT Three's this week and heading to Craig(sub)'s home this weekend audition Def Tech, Onix Rocket and perhaps a few others.

#355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/12146463

To my ears they (the 2Ce sig II's) weren't bright at all, but rather very neutral. Maybe something in the listening room tamed that slow 3dB rise?

So the Sonus Faber's use a first order crossover like the Vandersteen's do? Hmm, interesting. The different between the two was night and day and they were right next to each other. I remained in the sweet spot the entire time, but maybe their was some weird room reflections or something, though that's probably unlikely. It's good to know someone else felt the same way (besides the two guys with me) because that tells me it wasn't the room acoustics. I certainly learned I do not like that hollow sound.

Oh, enjoy your music collection journey (that's the best one)!

My bad, I should know better than to attempt to judge a speaker's tonal quality by the anechoic FR plot. Looking at the in-room response in that same set of Seterophile measurements, the treble rolls off gradually, which should balance out the slight rise in the direct FR.

I forgot that the Vandy's also use a first-order crossover. It mus be less of a problem in that speaker due to the staggered driver array and possibly a crossover point that doesn't fall so close to the midrange. Just a guess.

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues /forum/post/12146002

I was hoping that you would come up with some other brands besides NHT for the price...And just curious how did you compare the 802d's to the fours? Did someone actually trade in their b&W's for nht's

Well, sure, there are other good products - the Revel F12s for one. Cantons are good too. The problem is, coming up with expensive good speakers is far easier than coming up with inexpensive ones. Especially towers. The 802Ds/Four comparison was in a customer's house. They were really amazingly close to each other. He said he was surprised how the Fours kept up. I was quietly thinking the opposite with a big smile on my face.
Quote:
I know you're biased, payed to tout nht, especially when you advertise online competitors prices.

Really? Well, that shows how much you know about *anything*. I tout NHT because people should hear it. Period. The deal that AA has is ridiculously good and if I were a normal consumer, I'd be desperate to know about deals like that. They once closed out Genesis Genre 1s for $650. That was a deal I told some of my own customers to grab.
Quote:
Ohh well, i'm curious what nuance thinks of the three's, i know when i demoed the towers blew the bookshelves away with dynamics. But the overall sound, although well balanced, seemed odd to me and had very little emotional impact.

It's up to the music to have emotional impact. Not the speakers. It has *never* really been a speaker's job to create emotional impact. That's why we have so many speakers trying to create that which either a) doesn't exist in the music or b) doesn't exist in the listener. I listen to music with emotional impact and am an emotional listner, so I don't require that from the speaker. In fact, it's the last thing I need.

#357 ·
Good music has emotional impact, and some speakers are better than others at conveying the emotion in the music.

To date, a pair of properly set up Klipsch Heritage are some of the best I have heard at doing this.

Unfortunately, NHT's, while measuring well, are some of the worst, in terms of recreating emotional impact.

Try listening to a live jazz ensemble, then listening to Klipschhorns, and most listeners will "get it".

#358 ·
I've had a few of the Vandersteen Speakers and just loved them and still do. I started with the 2Ce Sigs and then moved to a pair of 3A Sigs and was very satisfied with the upgrade. I added a pair of 2Wq's subs to the 3A's and it really made the 3A's sound much better taking the base load off of the amps and speakers. It really made the 3A's shine. I never tried the subs with the 2Ce Sigs but I would imagine it would have done wonders for them. The Vandy 3A Sigs with a pair of 2Wq's is a great combination for a very reasonable price and probably compete very well with a pair of Quatros. They didn't break a sweat playing at 90-95db on any music I put at them. Well, then I bought a pair of 5A's. Everything was perfect, so transparant, such perfect bass and I haven't had them calibrated by a Vandersteen tech yet. Oh by the way the 5A's in Ebony are simply beautiful. All of the speakers have been run by Sonic Frontier CD and Pre and either Krell 250 Mono's or VTL 450 Sig Mono's. I purchased all of them used in my area (So. Cal) so trading up and changing gear isn't as expensive. You can get a great price on a pair of 5's since it's too expensive to have them upgraded to 5A's and probably get 95% of the 5A sound.

#359 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/12147174

My bad, I should know better than to attempt to judge a speaker's tonal quality by the anechoic FR plot. Looking at the in-room response in that same set of Seterophile measurements, the treble rolls off gradually, which should balance out the slight rise in the direct FR.

I forgot that the Vandy's also use a first-order crossover. It mus be less of a problem in that speaker due to the staggered driver array and possibly a crossover point that doesn't fall so close to the midrange. Just a guess.

Yeah, I dunno. The tonality was so perfect...but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a +/- 3 dB along the FR. I can hear well, but I dunno if I can hear that well.

The Vandersteen is the only speaker that I've heard that uses a first order crossover yet sounds real good to my ears (other than Thiel...but I forgot which model). It must have to do with the baffleless design and the overall engineering/crossover. In fact, it's one speaker we all agreed that we could live with for a while without the upgrade-itus bug striking. Now I just have to find the latter but in a sexy wooden finish (to appease my beautiful wife).
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/12147788

Good music has emotional impact, and some speakers are better than others at conveying the emotion in the music.

I totally agree with that statement, hence my journey. My music already has emotional impact (at least for me), so I need a speaker that will capture all of it while not ruining it.

Craig, just for the sake of those reading this thread (and for my curiosity), is the list of speakers we will be auditioning finalized? If so, what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaaf /forum/post/12148030

I've had a few of the Vandersteen Speakers and just loved them and still do. I started with the 2Ce Sigs and then moved to a pair of 3A Sigs and was very satisfied with the upgrade. I added a pair of 2Wq's subs to the 3A's and it really made the 3A's sound much better taking the base load off of the amps and speakers. It really made the 3A's shine. I never tried the subs with the 2Ce Sigs but I would imagine it would have done wonders for them. The Vandy 3A Sigs with a pair of 2Wq's is a great combination for a very reasonable price and probably compete very well with a pair of Quatros. They didn't break a sweat playing at 90-95db on any music I put at them. Well, then I bought a pair of 5A's. Everything was perfect, so transparant, such perfect bass and I haven't had them calibrated by a Vandersteen tech yet. Oh by the way the 5A's in Ebony are simply beautiful. All of the speakers have been run by Sonic Frontier CD and Pre and either Krell 250 Mono's or VTL 450 Sig Mono's. I purchased all of them used in my area (So. Cal) so trading up and changing gear isn't as expensive. You can get a great price on a pair of 5's since it's too expensive to have them upgraded to 5A's and probably get 95% of the 5A sound.

I have heard the 2wq sub and it's wicked good. In fact, it may be the best sub for music that I have ever experienced. I should have had the guy at Ultra Fidelis put them on with the quatros so my bro and Justin could have experienced them. Stereo subs...nothing like it!

The 3A's rock, but the 2CE Sig II's now offer 95% of what the 3A's do because they now share the same midrange and tweeter drivers. And for $2200 with the stands, they are a bargain! I would love to hear the 2CE Sig II's with dual 2wq's!

bhaaf, glad you like the 5A's! I knew there was someone else out there that felt the way I (we) do. I am so jealous!!
Enjoy the heck out of those 5A's bud!

#360 ·
John, no worries pal. I have noticed some people don't share the same opinions as you concerning the NHT line of speakers but I won't let that cloud my judgement. Nor will I let your eternal praise for them brainwash me. I will let my own ears decide and will report back the truth without bias.

#361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide /forum/post/11836223

LOL

LTD02, you've heard these unreleased speakers and have run comparos on them, of course....."blows the other stuff away at any price".

Epiphany's. They are amazing speakers that I've really heard nothing else like. Same designer with better internals and drivers so somewhat yes.

#362 ·
Brandon, I don't know if the Salks will make it on time or not, The check arrived yesterday, and Jim said he was hoping to get them out today - if he does, they should be here.

We also have the Def Techs, 850/760, Acculines and 6.2's here.

Do you guys want to listen with no subwoofer ? With a BIG subwoofer ? With a wonderful musical subwoofer like the Dana 600 ?

#363 ·

Quote:

To date, a pair of properly set up Klipsch Heritage are some of the best I have heard at doing this.

Unfortunately, NHT's, while measuring well, are some of the worst, in terms of recreating emotional impact.

Try listening to a live jazz ensemble, then listening to Klipschhorns, and most listeners will "get it".

Interesting! I have read a few places (dont remember the sources) that in general, more sensitive speakers (>90dB/1m/1w) have the ability to sound more like the live performance (with less power) than a relatively insensitive speaker (80db range) with much more power. Since you have had the opportunity to listen to a much larger sample size of speakers than I have, would you say that this is the trend that you have found in your listening?

#364 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/12148978

Interesting! I have read a few places (dont remember the sources) that in general, more sensitive speakers (>90dB/1m/1w) have the ability to sound more like the live performance (with less power) than a relatively insensitive speaker (80db range) with much more power.

That was Klipsch's marketing mantra back in the 70's, although they said you needed 100db speakers for the full effect.

#365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/12149103

That was Klipsch's marketing mantra back in the 70's, although they said you needed 100db speakers for the full effect.

IMO, Marketing claims usually have 0%-~40% truth to them (with the balance fluff). Do you think that this "claim" is somewhat meaningful in terms of general trends? (I know there are always exceptions).

#367 ·

Quote:

I find the opposite. Emotional impact is about the only thing they can try to do since they don't reproduce the sound well at all. It's a magic trick at best, a sonic lie more honestly.
Quote:

Wouldn't that, by definition, vary dramatically by listener? To me, NHT's do almost exactly what I want them to do, which is let the music provide the emotional impact, rather than attempting to exaggerate it or create it where it doesn't exist. I find that non musicians and people without "soul" need a speaker that provides fake emotional impact, where as people who truly enjoy music don't need or even want this from a speaker at all.

#368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/12148323

John, no worries pal. I have noticed some people don't share the same opinions as you concerning the NHT line of speakers but I won't let that cloud my judgement. Nor will I let your eternal praise for them brainwash me. I will let my own ears decide and will report back the truth without bias.

Hey, whatever makes you happy makes me happy for you! Whatever you do, do it for you. Huh. That's sounds like a song lyric or something.......

#369 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/12149103

It's kind of like "whatever we do well is critical for musical enjoyment. Whatever we do not do well is meaningless".

#370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/12149637

It's kind of like "whatever we do well is critical for musical enjoyment. Whatever we do not do well is meaningless".

but isn't there something to the notion that high efficiency speakers will reproduce highly dynamic music better? i seem to recall something about that, but i can't remember any of the specifics.

it seemed like before we got into waf, all the speaker guys were heading in the same direction--giant, efficient, large driver, systems.

then again, it is possible that it was because of limited amp power. but all things equal, would an 87dB efficient speaker w/16 watts sound better/worse than a 99dB efficient speaker w/1 watt? i suppose the more efficient speaker just benefits from enormous headroom relative to the less efficient speaker, but i don't know.

thoughts?

#371 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/12149602

I find that non musicians and people without "soul" need a speaker that provides fake emotional impact, where as people who truly enjoy music don't need or even want this from a speaker at all.

Being a musician dont make you any more knowledeable about music than anybody else, my brother can play the guitar quite well and he dont know a thing about good sound from home speakers. And for 'soul' i think you have it backwards regarding needing fake emotional impact, to me bottom line is some speakers have a soul, others do not. Heck if you just want to just hear music any speaker will do. I thought the reason for buying high end speakers is they do sound better than your typical best buy speaker, vocals and instruments sound real and in the room, all sorts of notes are played back with more resolution, clarity, realism. The good speakers seem to have "class" and sound like it. At that point you are not just buying a speaker, for me it's like buying many musical instruments in one.

#372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/12149602

I find the opposite. Emotional impact is about the only thing they can try to do since they don't reproduce the sound well at all. It's a magic trick at best, a sonic lie more honestly.

Wouldn't that, by definition, vary dramatically by listener? To me, NHT's do almost exactly what I want them to do, which is let the music provide the emotional impact, rather than attempting to exaggerate it or create it where it doesn't exist. I find that non musicians and people without "soul" need a speaker that provides fake emotional impact, where as people who truly enjoy music don't need or even want this from a speaker at all.

Right ... You make some of the most incredible statements about people.

At what point did you become an expert in which people have "soul" ?

I have listened to NHT's ... and find them to be decent performers up to about 90 dB, at which point they become very 2 dimensional.

Perhaps it is the soul which I am lacking is the problem. That must be it.

#373 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/12149842

but isn't there something to the notion that high efficiency speakers will reproduce highly dynamic music better? i seem to recall something about that, but i can't remember any of the specifics.

That, again, is the marketing. If a driver accurately reproduces the dynamic scale, that is, 10W is 10dB louder than 1W which is 10dB louder than .1W, with equally low distortion, then no.

However, there is something to the notion that a speaker that is 1 or 2dB louder than another in a demo seems more dynamic and detailed, often even if it is not as good.

#374 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues /forum/post/12149940

The good speakers seem to have "class" and sound like it. At that point you are not just buying a speaker, for me it's like buying many musical instruments in one.

Good speakers render the music as the amplifier tells them to do. If a speaker acts as a musical instrument, then it is less accurate, less faithful. That makes some people enjoy music more, but it makes me enjoy the sound less.

#375 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub /forum/post/12149956

Perhaps it is the soul which I am lacking is the problem. That must be it.

If the vessel fits.........

It's amazing just how quickly you can make me regret taking you off ignore.

#376 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/12148978

Interesting! I have read a few places (dont remember the sources) that in general, more sensitive speakers (>90dB/1m/1w) have the ability to sound more like the live performance (with less power) than a relatively insensitive speaker (80db range) with much more power. Since you have had the opportunity to listen to a much larger sample size of speakers than I have, would you say that this is the trend that you have found in your listening?

This is a tough question, because we know what general statements usually lead to ... especially here.

Something best left to conversation over a beer sometime... but if the reaction to my Klipsch Cornwalls and A7-900 sub, when driven by a 15 year old NAD 25 WPC receiver are any indication...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.