best cheap speakers - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone here know when they plan to release the 08 products?

Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM

Liked: 10
I ordered a set of the Calypso's last night and are set out for delivery today.

I'm glad I dind't snooze on these any longer!
post #93 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Man, here one second, gone the next. It just doesn't seem very promising that they are going to have them in stock again. At least not on a consistent basis.

Does anyone know of any places I could buy a set of the Calypsos? I mean, I've tried Amazon, and Ebay, and can't find em anywhere. Is there some kind of speaker supplier I could buy a set of these from?
post #94 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowbox View Post

Any thoughts on Phoenix Gold in-ceiling speakers? They seem to win on the cheapest side, but I have no idea on the quality side. Does any have any experience with the AS6C?

They're not bad for the price and are comparable to the sonance ones.
post #95 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 03:16 PM

For you guys who are here but didn't get in on the deal for the Calypsos, here are two more sites you ma want to look at.

http://www.yambekaaudio.com/products.html

http://www.fluance.com/centerspeakers.html

I personally do not own either of these 2 speakers but have heard good things.

post #96 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon07 View Post

For you guys who are here but didn't get in on the deal for the Calypsos, here are two more sites you ma want to look at.

http://www.yambekaaudio.com/products.html

http://www.fluance.com/centerspeakers.html

I personally do not own either of these 2 speakers but have heard good things.

I had heard about the Fluance brand a few weeks ago, but after doing some more research, I found that the crossover on their speakers is quite high. that kind of scares me. I dont want bass coming through my speakers when it should be going thru my subwoofer.

I dont know, I really kinda wanted the Calypsos. They look absolutely great, and would match the FP-T5084 I'm gonna get pretty soon

Hopefully they will get a set in soon, I emailed Radiient a little bit ago to ask if they would be getting them in stock again soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath. If they do tho, I'm gonna be all over that like white on rice!
post #97 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

OK, so I got an e-mail back from Radiient. That was quick! About 30 minutes before I got a response back.

Anyways, here is the e-mail they sent me.........

Nick, Thank you for your interest in Radiient Technologies

Radiient's Home Theater Speaker systems are completely Sold Out!! Radiient will not be replenishing this Home Theater Line.

Radiient Technologies is by no means in jeopardy of going out of business, we are alive and strong. Look for the new and groundbreaking technologies for 2008!

Visit us often and STAY TUNED!!!

Support
Radiient Technologies
www.radiient.com

So it doesn't look like they are going to be getting any more of these in stock Hopefully they release their 2008 line soon, if I can get the piano glossy black, I would be in heaven!
post #98 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 View Post

OK, so I got an e-mail back from Radiient. That was quick! About 30 minutes before I got a response back.

Anyways, here is the e-mail they sent me.........

Nick, Thank you for your interest in Radiient Technologies

Radiient's Home Theater Speaker systems are completely Sold Out!! Radiient will not be replenishing this Home Theater Line.

Radiient Technologies is by no means in jeopardy of going out of business, we are alive and strong. Look for the new and groundbreaking technologies for 2008!

Visit us often and STAY TUNED!!!

Support
Radiient Technologies
www.radiient.com

So it doesn't look like they are going to be getting any more of these in stock Hopefully they release their 2008 line soon, if I can get the piano glossy black, I would be in heaven!

I emailed them to ask when their 08 products are coming and they emailed me back pretty much saying they do not know

post #99 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Oh yeahhhh!!! Just got my tracking number.

***Do not reply to this e-mail. UPS and Radiient Technologies will not receive your reply.

This message was sent to you at the request of Radiient Technologies to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact Radiient Technologies directly.

Important Delivery Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Delivery: 30-October-2007
post #100 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renob101 View Post

Efjay, I'm not going to try to answer your question like I'm a knowledgeable audiophile when Im not, but I will say the speakers sound nice, when I sit on the couch and close my eyes while music is playing I cant tell where the speakers are, there is lots of sound coming at me, and I don't mean volume lots of little noises I pick up on that were not there when the sound was just coming from my TV. Sorry I don't even have a clue what your asking when you say masking I wish I could give ya more information.

Like I said in an earlier post my last system that I had the speakers cost more then 3k do these sound as good no, do they sound like the cost more then $200 HELL YES!

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I missed them though. The search continues...
post #101 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM

boooooooooo I was about to order them why didnt I do it yesterday arrrrgghhh

Patriots, Redsox, Celtics, and Bruins rule I love Boston.
post #102 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 PM

I also got the delivery confirmation with tracking#, those are coming on 2nd Nov. I wonder how much they paid for shipping, it shows 83 lbs. My nerves were on hold when I saw out of stock.

Cant wait to see what comes in ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deitz View Post

Oh yeahhhh!!! Just got my tracking number.

***Do not reply to this e-mail. UPS and Radiient Technologies will not receive your reply.

This message was sent to you at the request of Radiient Technologies to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact Radiient Technologies directly.

Important Delivery Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Delivery: 30-October-2007

post #103 of 178 Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 PM

I've got a set coming as well.

These will be replacing some mediocre HTiB speakers.

I got one of those Aural Exctasy 12" subs that were blown out for $129 too.

So, $328 shipped for a complete 5.1 speaker set that just HAS to kill my old junk.
post #104 of 178 Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM

I was looking at the set for two days while they were in stock... the only reason I hesitated was that my new tv stand (corner unit) had not arrived yet nor has my 6070HD... so I was not certain how much room I was going to have for the front speakers and center... I currently have some huge floor standing BAs and some cheap Sony Surrounds and center... all not matched up well with a JBL SUB.... (and a 52 inch RPTV that is 15 years old... so are the speakers)

The Wife Acceptance Factor demanded that I "pretty things up..." with the new TV, stand, and speaker setup...

I got home the other day and showed her the Calypso set and she said "Order them!".. I brought up the site and they were in stock... I stopped for about 15 minutes to make some measurements and such... brought the site back up.. OUT OF STOCK!!! ARGGGHhhhh!!!!!
post #105 of 178 Old 10-29-2007, 06:10 AM

I got my Calypsos in and set up. Not much time to run them through their paces, but sounded good on initial set up. Will post more later. Though these are no longer available, maybe it will help someone decide on the 08 line.
post #106 of 178 Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

I ordered my Calypso set Friday 26 around 10 a.m.
They were showing "Out of Stock" but I called Radiient, and talked to Will. He knew of two sets somwhere around, so I asked him to check for me and I went ahead with registering and paying just in case.

I got billed a couple of hours later, and by the end of the day I received the e-mail notification from UPS that the packages (two) are on the way.
Right now they are somewhere between Richmond BC and Edmonton AB.
I am more then pleased with the Radiient service.

Liviu.

P.S. Whoever ordered a set Friday before noon, you might be happy to learn that got one of the last sets.

Glad that I din't stop for a second to consider the SO Factor. Better ask for forgivness, and all that crap

Panta Rei
post #107 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM

I received my set of Calypso last week. I have them set up and you can barely hear the rear surrounds. I pumped up my received to +10, and still they are very faint. I will call Radiient today to see what they can come up with.

Second, maybe it is because I didn't actually calibrate my receiver (Sony STR-DG910) yet, but the bass from all speakers is pretty weak (this could also be the cause for concern with the surrounds). Again, it could be the receiver, but my 7 year old HTIB speakers from JVC sounded a lot deeper and more natural. I will plug those in to my new receiver to test the difference to see it is the receiver to blame or the actual speakers.
post #108 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillMan17 View Post

I received my set of Calypso last week. I have them set up and you can barely hear the rear surrounds. I pumped up my received to +10, and still they are very faint. I will call Radiient today to see what they can come up with.

Second, maybe it is because I didn't actually calibrate my receiver (Sony STR-DG910) yet, but the bass from all speakers is pretty weak (this could also be the cause for concern with the surrounds). Again, it could be the receiver, but my 7 year old HTIB speakers from JVC sounded a lot deeper and more natural. I will plug those in to my new receiver to test the difference to see it is the receiver to blame or the actual speakers.

It may be the receiver I don't know. I am running my setup using an Onkyo 705 and my rears are very clear and bassy. I had to turn them about -2 lower than my fronts because they were so clear and loud.

post #109 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Sounds like user error! I find it hard to believe that both those speakes would have an issue.
post #110 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspirit View Post

They're not bad for the price and are comparable to the sonance ones.

Thanks Inspirit! I figure for well under $100 I can't be disappointed. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how they sound when I get them installed.
post #111 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM

There is no user error!

I am using Gladiator in DTS-ES to test the speakers and they are very faint - any scene in the Colissium should have the rears shaking. Like I said, I did not run the speaker setup on my receiver, maybe that will fix the issue (but I personally don't think that would make a difference in this case).

I think it might be the speakers for one reason: I think I may have received a return or something of the sort. The speakers came with missing felt covers for the front speakers and it sounds like something rattling around inside the center.

So, like I said, I will run the auto setup on the receiver and if that doesn't work I will call Radiient and let you all know what they have to say.
post #112 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:

There is no user error!

I am using Gladiator in DTS-ES to test the speakers and they are very faint - any scene in the Colissium should have the rears shaking. Like I said, I did not run the speaker setup on my receiver, maybe that will fix the issue (but I personally don't think that would make a difference in this case).

I think it might be the speakers for one reason: I think I may have received a return or something of the sort. The speakers came with missing felt covers for the front speakers and it sounds like something rattling around inside the center.

So, like I said, I will run the auto setup on the receiver and if that doesn't work I will call Radiient and let you all know what they have to say.

I have bought two sets of these. One for my brother. Both came packaged flawlessly. I can't beleive they would send you something like that. I have heard nothing but great things about their customer service dpt.

post #113 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon07 View Post

I have bought two sets of these. One for my brother. Both came packaged flawlessly. I can't beleive they would send you something like that. I have heard nothing but great things about their customer service dpt.

This is why I think there might be something wrong with the rear speakers. I hope I am wrong since they are now sold out on them
post #114 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:

This is why I think there might be something wrong with the rear speakers. I hope I am wrong since they are now sold out on them

Well keep us updated on what happens....

post #115 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 PM

I would have loved to get in on these speakers, it sounds like they're exactly the kind and price I've been looking for. :sigh:
post #116 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
ike I said, I did not run the speaker setup on my receiver

If you have not done this then you have not set them up right, again sounds like user error.

As far as the felt goes mine had worked its way down the bottom of the box and under one of the cardboard flaps, you might want to give it a second look.
post #117 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:

There is no user error!

Do you have them set as "surrounds" or "rear surrounds?"
post #118 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0yce View Post

Do you have them set as "surrounds" or "rear surrounds?"

I have tried both options as I have a 7.1 receiver.

But in general, which is correct?
post #119 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I have tried both options as I have a 7.1 receiver.

But in general, which is correct?

Set them as surrounds.

post #120 of 178 Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM

While I don't have much to add to the discussion just yet, I wanted to say thanks to the forum. I was lucky enough to get what was likely one of the last sets of the Calypsos last week. I'd been searching for a couple of weeks for a decent set of speakers for my new TV when I stumbled upon this forum.

After about three months of listening to movies on the TV speakers I just couldn't stand it anymore. I'm in awe of the wealth of information here!
Besides my Calypsos I've got a Reciever (Onkyo TX-SR505) and Subwoofer (AV123 X-Sub) on the way and will glady post a noob-review on a *very* budget system (just under $650)

Anyway, just got my Radiient order today, these speakers are a lot prettier than I was expecting. The GF is going to like 'em While home audio is still very new to me. I'm impressed by the build quality, especially for the price. Everything feels solid and the connections look good. Looking forward to the weekend install!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page