post #271 of 6313 Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

I ran a pair of Classic Gold Inwall LCR's in a hacked together system (ipod into Integra DTR-8.8 with LCR's and Gold Sub setup on a ping pong table in my basement) last night and didn't have any problems over 2 hours at fairly high volume levels.

CJ

Classic Gold LCRs are an easier load, even though they give up 2 dB of sensitivity.

Did you put the sub on the "ping-pong" table to simulate stereo bass??

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6313 Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We had a room free up in the showroom. Guess what we just ordered to put in there for the front 3.2 channels? Oh, baby, can you say 3 InRoom Gold LCR's with dual InRoom Gold Subwoofers.

I almost pulled the trigger on 3 InRoom Gold Monitors, but I ran out of money.

Oh, well, I still love this job.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #273 of 6313 Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

We had a room free up in the showroom. Guess what we just ordered to put in there for the front 3.2 channels? Oh, baby, can you say 3 InRoom Gold LCR's with dual InRoom Gold Subwoofers.

Too bad you're all the way in OK, otherwise, I'd be the first to come over and demo that set-up! What will you be using to drive the speakers?
post #274 of 6313 Old 06-28-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What will you be using to drive the speakers?

For right now, that room will be driven by Parasound Halo separates (C1 Processor, A51 Amplifier, D3 Hybrid Player). The Parasound Halo's mate extremely well with the Triads and we love the combo. However, this is the second Parasound system we have on display with the Triad speakers, so we'll be switching it out for the NAD Masters.

post #275 of 6313 Old 06-28-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For right now, that room will be driven by Parasound Halo separates (C1 Processor, A51 Amplifier, D3 Hybrid Player). The Parasound Halo's mate extremely well with the Triads and we love the combo. However, this is the second Parasound system we have on display with the Triad speakers, so we'll be switching it out for the NAD Masters.

Parasound and NAD both work well with 4 ohm speakers. Speakers like CURRENT; that's why they're called AMPlifiers and not WATTlifiers.

Well, okay, not really...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #276 of 6313 Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Will be visiting a local Triad dealer soon. They suggested Crown as the amp. Any thoughts?
post #277 of 6313 Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They suggested Crown as the amp. Any thoughts?

Really? The Triad dealer you are working with must be a commercial dealer to recommend such a product. If on a budget, I guess it would work, but it's not what I would say is the typical combination or even a solution most Triad dealers would recommend.

If you are looking to save a bit? Why not look at the Sherbourn Technologies products. You will be hard pressed to find a better multi-channel amplifier for the $$$. Specifically, look at this amp http://sherbourn.com/products/7_2100A.php it kicks some serious a$$.

post #278 of 6313 Old 06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't visited them in person yet but they're a custom installer (not big box) that does mostly retail. I asked them over the phone which amp they typically match with the Triads and he said Crown or Audio Control, both of which I'd never heard of (though admittedly amps are new addition to the equation for me). I'm excited to be able to finally hear the Triads in person, but now I'm wondering what kind of set-up they're going to suggest. I honestly never thought it would be SO hard to find a dealer that had all the products I was interested in and would charge a reasonable price.
post #279 of 6313 Old 06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Haven't visited them in person yet but they're a custom installer (not big box) that does mostly retail. I asked them over the phone which amp they typically match with the Triads and he said Crown or Audio Control, both of which I'd never heard of (though admittedly amps are new addition to the equation for me). I'm excited to be able to finally hear the Triads in person, but now I'm wondering what kind of set-up they're going to suggest. I honestly never thought it would be SO hard to find a dealer that had all the products I was interested in and would charge a reasonable price.

I use an Emotiva amp with my Triad Silvers. They sound great. Of course you will not find these offered by a dealer since they are only sold direct. You may want to check them out.
post #280 of 6313 Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Again, almost any amplifier that will deliver at least 50% more power into a 4 ohm load than into an 8 ohm load will work great. My Lyngdorf SDA-2175 amps are rated at 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms, but a healthy 375 watts into 4 ohms, and my Gold Monitors sound better than any other Gold Monitors I've heard. (The room is well treated, too.)

It's generally easier for a designer to squeeze out a few more dB of sensitivity by using 4 ohm drivers as opposed to the 8 ohm versions of the same drivers, not to mention the fact that a good amp will also deliver more power into a 4 ohm load. In a perfect world, you could be looking at as much as 5 dB more output from the system. That's a difference that's palpable, especially on peaks.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #281 of 6313 Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Paul, what is the Omni SE-IS?
post #282 of 6313 Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Paul, what is the Omni SE-IS?

We developed a line of Omni speakers that offer better performance then the traditional Omnis, and they are the SE (Special Edition) Omnis. There are InRoom, InCeiling, and InWall versions of the Silver and Gold Omni SE speakers, but the ones with an Integrated Stand are called InRoom Silver Omni SE-IS (for integrated stand) and the InRoom Gold Omni SE-IS. They represent an ID departure for us, in that they're actually stunning. Our other InRoom speakers are "handsome."

The SE products use proprietary Seas drivers, similar to the Gold LCRs, and they offer amazing performance in a small package. Used with a sub, they can also be used for home theater. The speaker itself ends at the bottom of the grill, and the remaining area is all stand. At some point, we'll add side or rear-firing woofers into the stand portion for a more full-range speaker.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #283 of 6313 Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you.
Does Chris have info on these yet?
post #284 of 6313 Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Thank you.
Does Chris have info on these yet?

Dixon? Probably not yet. We showed them at CES in January, but they haven't been introduced yet due to a few parts procurement problems and a lengthy process of figuring out how to manufacture such a sculpted enclosure out of MDF, and the problems of doing veneer over curves. It's been a nightmare, but we're past the worst. I expect the four InRoom products to be shipping within six weeks. Chris does have pricing, though.

Thanks for asking.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #285 of 6313 Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris gave us the pricing, but the model number had me scratching my head.
post #286 of 6313 Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Paul,

I'm using the LCR Gold and Gold Passive Sub. My AVR crossover should set at 80 or 100?

Thanks
Gan
post #287 of 6313 Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Set the crossover at 80 Hz for best results under most conditions.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #288 of 6313 Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Paul,

Thanks
post #289 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Tony, this one's for you since Paul is away for a bit. What do you think of the Marantz AV8003 Pre-Pro and AV8003 Amp for the Triads? Will they be a good match? Thanks.
post #290 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tony, this one's for you since Paul is away for a bit. What do you think of the Marantz AV8003 Pre-Pro and AV8003 Amp for the Triads? Will they be a good match? Thanks.

Whew, big shoes to fill with Paul being out. But, you get my recommendation on the Marantz. I absolutely love Marantz products. I'm actually using the 8002 as pre-pro in my personal theater. The new 8003 is a big step up.

The new Marantz separates would be an extremenly good match with the Triads. I think this combo will be a big hit in the HT community. I know we are looking forward to them. They are drop-dead gorgeous too.

post #291 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

I go into the hospital for surgery tomorrow, and I won't be around for up to a week, and possibly longer. Pardon me if I don't respond to PMs for a while. I'll be around today, but I can't really answer the amplifier question. The rule of thumb is, if any receiver or amplifier puts out less power into a 4 ohm load than into an 8 ohm load, it is total cheese. Know that the electronics manufacturer did this to save money, and in some cases, maybe only $15. If a receiver actually puts out less power into a 6 ohm load than an 8 ohm load, it is especially crappy.

Some electronics manufacturers don't recommend a 4 ohm load, yet they will handle it just fine. They are doing CYA. Others don't recommend a 4 ohm load, and they are serious.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #292 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Whew, big shoes to fill with Paul being out.

That's what I said last week when Bozo the Clown died...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #293 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM

I'm about ready to order speakers and like the Triad lineup. My question is how do I determine which series is best to evaluate? In addition to cost, does room size come into play? My room is 16x27with 9 ft ceilings. Also going to be using a 130x55 AT screen. Only seating for six. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy
post #294 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ta View Post

I'm about ready to order speakers and like the Triad lineup. My question is how do I determine which series is best to evaluate? In addition to cost, does room size come into play? My room is 16x27with 9 ft ceilings. Also going to be using a 130x55 AT screen. Only seating for six. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

I am literally packing for the hospital, so I'll be brief. (Reminds me: I need briefs...)

Room size is more a factor for subs, whereas fronts are determined more by proximity. Far away from fronts? Heavy artillery. Big room? Multiple subs. You also did not mention budget, how loudly you listen, and acoustics.

Bronze LCRs are 90 dB and will handle 150 watts, so they are fairly robust, as long as you don't intend to reach theatrical levels in your 3,900 cubic foot room. The Silver LCRs are 92 dB and will handle 200 watts, more or less, so you're looking at similar sound quality, but a significant 3 dB more output. (Bronze LCRs start at $600 each and Silver LCRs start at $1,000 each.) Above that, you have InRoom Gold LCRs at $2,000 and InRoom Silver Monitors starting at $2,050 each.

Hopefully, others who know the Triad line can jump in. I am outta here until who knows when. Hopefully a week.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #295 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Paul,

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. A trip to the hospital for surgery is not a low stress endeavor so keep your chin up. Our prayers are with you.

Ray
post #296 of 6313 Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Ditto!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #297 of 6313 Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info Paul and best of luck to you. I'll be sitting about 17 ft from the LCR and the room will be acoustically treated. Might be able to do the Gold series but I would have to be able to hear significantly better sound then from the Bronze for that kind of money. I'm more interested in the quality of the sound then just being loud. Anyone have the Bronze or Gold series and care to comment?
post #298 of 6313 Old 07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the wishes for a speedy recovery. Now that the surgery is over, here's the Cliff's Notes: Nodules showed up on my thyroid, and one was as big as a marble, inside the left thyroid. The biopsy was "atypical." I had the three-hour surgery yesterday morning to remove the thyroid, and it turned out benign, so they left the right half in. I am the healthiest person on Earth, so a day later I'm at work, but sore. The doc said he could not believe I had the surgery just yesterday. He said I looked like it was last week. The five best words to hear when you come out of the anesthetic are "You do not have cancer." (The morphine drip might have helped...)

Funny, but at one point they thought I was going into shock because my pulse was at 39 bpm. The surgeon then remembered I'm a bicycle racer, and that's normal resting heart rate for a Cyborg.

Take care of yourselves everybody, and remember life is short. Enjoy what you have left...and dammit, buy some better speakers!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #299 of 6313 Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear that everything went well (very well). 39 bpm? Man, you are a Cyborg!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #300 of 6313 Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Take care of yourselves everybody, and remember life is short. Enjoy what you have left...and dammit, buy some better speakers!

Glad it's over with and everything turned out fine. Life is indeed short and that becomes more apparent as you get older. Good advise, BTW, since I have Triad speakers now, what is your suggestion for better speakers?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page