Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #4111 of 6305 Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Having the Plats in to small of a room would be like owning a Ferrari and living at the North pole. In a bigger room though like Craig's I've yet to hear anything better. You have to have the hp to fill a room properly before you can nit pick the little things. If you don't have the output then the little things are meaningless.

Mankite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Can someone tell me how old these Triad Gold satellites are,
and what they use to sell for. Thank You

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4113 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I own the Plats for mains and the Silver Monitors for surrounds. The Plats are clearly in a league of their own. The Silvers sound great, and very similar to the Plats, but with less output and LF extension. The Plats are absolutely "the best speaker Triad makes."

Craig

Craig,

I looked for your room dimensions...........to no avail!

Just wondering if Plats would be overkill in my situation.
post #4114 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Craig,

I looked for your room dimensions...........to no avail!

Just wondering if Plats would be overkill in my situation.

My room is oddly shaped. The long dimension is 26'. The width varies from 15' to 18' with a stairwell at one end and a hallway to the bathroom at the other end. The total cubic volume is about 3,800 cubic feet. However, it sounds larger because of the acoustic treatments I have. Dennis Erskine would likely find my room too absorptive, but I like the "deadness," especially with speakers like the Plats that can overcome a dead room. Speech intelligibility is excellent and directionality is very precise. I sit 11' from the speakers. In my room, with as little early as reflections I get, I feel like I'm in the "nearfield" of the speakers, with very little room effect. If I move back to 15' to 18', I get more of the room, (of course, at that distance, I'm outside the Audyssey acoustic "bubble", so that may be what I'm hearing.)

The Plats are unquestionablly the best speakers I've ever had in my HT. I will go so far as to say that the combination of the Plats, Silver Monitor surrounds and 3 Seaton Submersive HP subs is the best sound I've ever heard in an HT.

Seaton Catalysts are a very close second, but I prefer the sound of the tweeter/dispersion lens in the Plats vs. the compression tweeter in the Catalysts. I've also heard Procella, Genelec, JBL Synthesis as well as several higher end HT's. Those are all very good, but the Plats are just better. IMO

How big is your room?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #4115 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How big is your room?

Craig

Thanks Craig for the information.........

The positives about new construction is the room can be any size I want. I've had plans drawn up for the home.....tentatively, room dimensions are 26' X 17' X 10 or 11' in height. I'm holding judgement on final dimensions until Dennis Erskine has his input........and of course we sell our current home.

Our current home has been on the market for almost two years.......have dropped the price $120,000 to no avail. My wife and I refuse to drop our home price anymore.........fortunately, the home is paid off!

On a positive note.......sorta....... 10 years ago we bought land to build our retirement/dream home ........right on a creek, 8 ft above the 100 year flood plain.......we made sure we could build next to the creek before purchasing.........no problemo! Wrong!!!!!

Ten years later, the county would not approve our building site plans due to remapping of floodplain- thanks FEMA...........we would have to build 100 ft away from the creek which defeated the purpose of our original intent. Needless to say, last year we put the property up for sale and finally received a fair price a few months ago. Still looking to find property with a view. In Oregon, not a problem!

To make a long story short, I'd like to use Gold Monitors but realize 4400ft^3 is just too much real estate.............Plats are probably on the menu.
post #4116 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The positives about new construction is the room can be any size I want. I've had plans drawn up for the home.....tentatively, room dimensions are 26' X 17' X 10 or 11' in height. I'm holding judgement on final dimensions until Dennis Erskine has his input........and of course we sell our current home.

Our home has been on the market for almost two years.......have dropped the price $120,000 to no avail. My wife and I refuse to drop our home price anymore.........fortunately, the home is paid off!

On a positive note.......sorta....... 10 years ago we bought land to build our retirement/dream home ........right on a creek, 8 ft above the 100 year flood plain.......no problemo! Wrong!!!!!

The county would not approve our building site plans due to remapping of floodplain- thanks FEMA...........we would have to build 100 ft away from the creek which defeated the purpose of our original intent. Needless to say, last year we put the property up for sale and finally received a fair price a few months ago. Still looking to find property with a view. In Oregon, not a problem!

To make a long story short, I'd like to use Gold Monitors but realize 4400ft^3 is just too much real estate.............Plats are probably on the menu.

Mankite brought his Gold Monitors over here a while back. They sounded great, but my room totally overwhelmed them. I don't remember how loud we played them, but it was below Reference and they were just not able to get the job done. If the budget allows it, the Plats would be the better choice for a 4,400 cubic ft room, IMO

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #4117 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW,

Where the heck is Paul? Probably bicycling about Utah in a jock strap......hopefully, not a "mankini".
post #4118 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mankite brought his Gold Monitors over here a while back. They sounded great, but my room totally overwhelmed them. I don't remember how loud we played them, but it was below Reference and they were just not able to get the job done. If the budget allows it, the Plats would be the better choice for a 4,400 cubic ft room, IMO

Craig

No problem with budgeting Plats.........though I had to bribe my beautiful wife of 26 years with a Miele/wolf kitchen!
post #4119 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Craig

I agree with Craig, Plats for sure. That's a huge room compared to most of us.

Mankite
post #4120 of 6305 Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

Our current home has been on the market for almost two years.......have dropped the price $120,000 to no avail. My wife and I refuse to drop our home price anymore.........fortunately, the home is paid off!

On a positive note.......sorta....... 10 years ago we bought land to build our retirement/dream home ........right on a creek, 8 ft above the 100 year flood plain.......we made sure we could build next to the creek before purchasing.........no problemo! Wrong!!!!!

Ten years later, the county would not approve our building site plans due to remapping of floodplain- thanks FEMA...........we would have to build 100 ft away from the creek which defeated the purpose of our original intent. Needless to say, last year we put the property up for sale and finally received a fair price a few months ago. Still looking to find property with a view. In Oregon, not a problem!

First off sorry for the off topic. I am an engineer and I was a commercial general contractor for 25 years. My home is located on a flood control lake. I built my home 13' of elevation above the 100 year flood plan. As you said FEMA rezoned and tried to say my house was in the flood plain. Even though my house was nearly paid for, FEMA was going to require me to purchase flood insurance based on 80% of the value of my home. I basically told them to shove it an paid off my loan. Now I have to go through the process of proving my home is not in a flood plain.

What I am getting at, is the 100 year flood elevation did not change. FEMA just redrew the maps, putting more people in the flood plain. So people can either pay the government extra money or they can spend money proving that they are not in the flood plain. Sure looks like an extra source of income to me.

You have to request the forms from FEMA hire a licensed surveyor and submit the paper work. In our state it takes 6 to 8 months to get this resolved. Since you own the land, I would get the forms from FEMA and hire a surveyor to survey where the 100 year flood plain is on your property. If you are above the flood plain, then submit the paper work and get your land corrected. If you don't you will have a hard time selling it.

I would have taken this to PM, but my account is not set up for PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #4121 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm running Plats (triple LCR's up front) in a 12x21x8 room. Front row is about 11ft from the speakers and I love them. If the room is treated properly and eq'd you can enjoy endless dynamics and slam from these in a smaller room.
post #4122 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tony and Craig,

You both state you are 11' from the speakers how big is your screen?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #4123 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mine is 120" diagonal, 2.35:1 Seymour AV screen. The CC is behind the screen and the L/R's are immediately to the left and right. There are pics in the link my signature.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #4124 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine is a 10ft wide 2.35 Seymour AT screen. All 3 PLatinum LCR's behind the screen. Using the Sony VW1000 4K projector as well so no concern with distance for me
post #4125 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, sounds bout right. 10' wide 2.35 is about 7.5 wide in 1.78, 7.5 x 1.5 = 11

Mike Miles

post #4126 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

You're in Maryland. Depending on where in Maryland, you're probably an hour to an hour and a half from me. You're welcome to visit if you like.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #4127 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

CJ,

Would love to and I will extend the same to you too! I'm sure my space would be a let down for you...

I live in Salisbury which is about 30 minutes from the Ocean City.

Mike Miles

post #4128 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

It's a beautiful thing with 2.35 material. Total immersion.
post #4129 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if there were any really significant performance upgrades made to the latest Bronze Onwall LCR?

I'm seeing the older generation Bronze Onwalls show up second hand at a steep discount so I'm really interested in them.
post #4130 of 6305 Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

First off sorry for the off topic. I am an engineer and I was a commercial general contractor for 25 years. My home is located on a flood control lake. I built my home 13' of elevation above the 100 year flood plan. As you said FEMA rezoned and tried to say my house was in the flood plain. Even though my house was nearly paid for, FEMA was going to require me to purchase flood insurance based on 80% of the value of my home. I basically told them to shove it an paid off my loan. Now I have to go through the process of proving my home is not in a flood plain.

What I am getting at, is the 100 year flood elevation did not change. FEMA just redrew the maps, putting more people in the flood plain. So people can either pay the government extra money or they can spend money proving that they are not in the flood plain. Sure looks like an extra source of income to me.

You have to request the forms from FEMA hire a licensed surveyor and submit the paper work. In our state it takes 6 to 8 months to get this resolved. Since you own the land, I would get the forms from FEMA and hire a surveyor to survey where the 100 year flood plain is on your property. If you are above the flood plain, then submit the paper work and get your land corrected. If you don't you will have a hard time selling it.

I would have taken this to PM, but my account is not set up for PM.

Thanks for the information...........

After over a year fighting the county, I gave up and finally sold the vacant land in question over two months ago- BTW, our current home is still for sale. What a real pain that episode was...........sad part, if the county/FEMA wouldn't have stuck their nose in my business, the perfect view/home site was possible. Government ie. "Big Brother" knows best..........
post #4131 of 6305 Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Can someone tell me how old these Triad Gold satellites are,
and what they use to sell for. Thank You

I was able to get the answer from Triad. They were made from around
1995 to 2004, and sold around $1000 a pair.
A lesson here, you can find some real good stuff on Ebay if you look. I
scored these in near mint condition for $199 a pair.
As far as the sound - they are rich and detailed with very good resolution
in the midrange and treble. These are acoustic suspension speakers, with
bass that is clean, tight and controlled. The music is captivating and draws
you in, with good definition for voices and instruments. Also, they are big
winners for home theater. Some popular big name brand people, that are
selling speakers today - need to go back to the drawing board.

post #4132 of 6305 Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Just relisted my Triad Silver DSP sub on audiogon if anyone is interested. Last buyer fell through. New condition.
post #4133 of 6305 Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I was able to get the answer from Triad. They were made from around
1995 to 2004, and sold around $1000 a pair.
A lesson here, you can find some real good stuff on Ebay if you look. I
scored these in near mint condition for $199 a pair.
As far as the sound - they are rich and detailed with very good resolution
in the midrange and treble. These are acoustic suspension speakers, with
bass that is clean, tight and controlled. The music is captivating and draws
you in, with good definition for voices and instruments. Also, they are big
winners for home theater. Some popular big name brand people, that are
selling speakers today - need to go back to the drawing board.

It was you who bought em before I could!!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4134 of 6305 Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

It was you who bought em before I could!!

As the world turns!

post #4135 of 6305 Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

As the world turns!

Grrrrrr lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4136 of 6305 Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM

My Gold Monitors are now in position and calibrated. They are sounding amazing. Hopefully I'll get my Subs next week and will do a Pro calibration.
post #4137 of 6305 Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Need some advice. I plan to upgrade my 5.1 in-ceiling system. I want a clean look to the room so I am considering in-wall speakers for LCR. These will be placed around a TV on a fireplace for a 15x20 room with 8ft ceilings. Using Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver with Rel T9 sub.

Options

1. B&W CWM7.3. These run about $1500 per speaker. They would likely match well with the B&W 818s I have.

2. Triad silver in-wall. These run about $1100 each. Have heard good things about these speakers from others, but have not been able to demo them.

3. Atlantic technology IWTS-30. These run about $1250 each. Also, have heard good things but have not been able to find them around town to listen to. Located in LA if anyone has suggestions.

4. Snell AMC 2000THX-inwall Ultra 2. These run about $1400 each.

A second but related question relates to speaker placement. If I go with new LCR in-walls around the TV. I can repurpose my 3 B&W 818s that are currently being used as LCR. Based on my room configuration, would I be better served using two speakers as front high or wide and one as back surround or do I use two for back surround and use one in another room?

Lastly, I really want to improve my two channel listening. I can't go with inroom speakers, but I would like to significantly improve the sound stage, imaging and musicality of my system. Which in-walls will help this.
post #4138 of 6305 Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Need some advice. I plan to upgrade my 5.1 in-ceiling system. I want a clean look to the room so I am considering in-wall speakers for LCR. These will be placed around a TV on a fireplace for a 15x20 room with 8ft ceilings. Using Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver with Rel T9 sub.

Options

1. B&W CWM7.3. These run about $1500 per speaker. They would likely match well with the B&W 818s I have.

2. Triad silver in-wall. These run about $1100 each. Have heard good things about these speakers from others, but have not been able to demo them.

3. Atlantic technology IWTS-30. These run about $1250 each. Also, have heard good things but have not been able to find them around town to listen to. Located in LA if anyone has suggestions.

A second but related question relates to speaker placement. If I go with new LCR in-walls around the TV. I can repurpose my 3 B&W 818s that are currently being used as LCR. Based on my room configuration, would I be better served using two speakers as front high or wide and one as back surround or do I use two for back surround and use one in another room?

Lastly, I really want to improve my two channel listening. I can't go with inroom speakers, but I would like to significantly improve the sound stage, imaging and musicality of my system. Which in-walls will help this.

I'm also interested in an answer to this. I'm replacing my L-C-R and getting 2 extra Bronze Satellites for a bronze system. I want to build a 9.2 system eventually and am wondering which two of the following three I should go with:

-front heights
-front wides
-rear surrounds

I'm leaning toward all front heights and wides, as there is no wall behind me and I really don't want wire in the attic. I'm also slightly convinced that rear surrounds won't make nearly as much impact, at least according to Audyssey.
post #4139 of 6305 Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Options

I'm a little confused. Do you plan to un-install the in-ceiling B&W LCR speakers in order to "repurpose" them? Are you willing to re-wire the room to make all this happen? The answer(s) to your other questions will hinge on the answer to these questions.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #4140 of 6305 Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM

I am prepared to uninstall the speakers if necessary. However, my left and right front speakers are currently set up at the front corners of the room. The center in the middle. If I go with front high, then I would not need to do anything to the front left and right in-ceiling and would only need to move the center. I am no expert and if the installer (someone else will be doing the installation) suggests that they the LCR be moved, then I will move them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page