post #541 of 6464 Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Thanks Paul. What about baffling. Do you suggest that around the LCRs?

It would serve no purpose, other than to add diffraction...which you don't want!

Do you have a dealer helping you with all this? I would usually defer to their opinion, based upon on-site experience.

Good luck.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6464 Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

If it's a small pop, don't worry. If it's annoying, you might buy a power conditioner. That may help. I'm glad you like the system so far, though. Rotel works great with all Triad speakers.

Paul, thanks -- actually have the receiver plugged into a power conditioner. The size of the pop seems to vary a little bit -- at times it is barely noticeable and other times it is pretty apparent. (Didn't do any tests and not at home right now - but I think the pop is louder as the volume is louder on the AVR - which would make sense. Any other thoughts?
post #543 of 6464 Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysafeonline View Post

Paul, thanks -- actually have the receiver plugged into a power conditioner. The size of the pop seems to vary a little bit -- at times it is barely noticeable and other times it is pretty apparent. (Didn't do any tests and not at home right now - but I think the pop is louder as the volume is louder on the AVR - which would make sense. Any other thoughts?

You may want to unplug source components one at a time and see if the problem goes away. It could be one component is responsible for the popping. Then, you may want to float that ground on the AC plug and see if that helps. Anyone else want to take a stab at this?

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #544 of 6464 Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So I don't know if this happened suddenly or it was there for a while. I was running sound tests from one of my THX discs and I noticed my front left speaker sounded out of phase. When I continued running the THX sound test, the test disc also identified that speaker as out of phase.

So my first thought was I had the speaker wires crossed. They looked fine.. so then I thought bad wire? nope.. problem still there. It's the speaker for sure. Any thoughts? What could have happened to a speaker that it would sound out of phase? and I'm assuming that it is out of phase. So when I pump sound to just the left speaker, it sounds off from the others.

Bad driver maybe?

This is a shame.. Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #545 of 6464 Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

So I don't know if this happened suddenly or it was there for a while. I was running sound tests from one of my THX discs and I noticed my front left speaker sounded out of phase. When I continued running the THX sound test, the test disc also identified that speaker as out of phase.

So my first thought was I had the speaker wires crossed. They looked fine.. so then I thought bad wire? nope.. problem still there. It's the speaker for sure. Any thoughts? What could have happened to a speaker that it would sound out of phase? and I'm assuming that it is out of phase. So when I pump sound to just the left speaker, it sounds off from the others.

Bad driver maybe?

This is a shame.. Any thoughts?

Tony, I am disappointed, but it sounds like it is most likely a problem with the speaker. It may be a driver out of phase or a crossover problem. We don't ever hear about problems like this because they are caught in test, usually when the impedance curve looks weird. In any event, we'll do whatever is necessary to get you straightened out. PM me with your phone numbers and I'll have our head service technician, Brent Passmore, call you. I don't know how technical you are, but he may have some easy suggestions, or the speaker may have to come back to Triad, on our dime, of course.

I'll be in my office today and tomorrow and then out of town. Keep me in the loop so we can resolve this as fast as possible. My apologies if the speaker is somehow wired wrong. Disappointed.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #546 of 6464 Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tony, I am disappointed, but it sounds like it is most likely a problem with the speaker. It may be a driver out of phase or a crossover problem. We don't ever hear about problems like this because they are caught in test, usually when the impedance curve looks weird. In any event, we'll do whatever is necessary to get you straightened out. PM me with your phone numbers and I'll have our head service technician, Brent Passmore, call you. I don't know how technical you are, but he may have some easy suggestions, or the speaker may have to come back to Triad, on our dime, of course.

I'll be in my office today and tomorrow and then out of town. Keep me in the loop so we can resolve this as fast as possible. My apologies if the speaker is somehow wired wrong. Disappointed.

Thanks Paul. Spoke to your tech Brent. Great guy... He's asked me to try a couple of things and get back to him. However, it sounds like I may need to send it back for repair but it depends on some things I need to check out.

Thank you for the prompt service!

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #547 of 6464 Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Paul. Spoke to your tech Brent. Great guy... He's asked me to try a couple of things and get back to him. However, it sounds like I may need to send it back for repair but it depends on some things I need to check out.

Thank you for the prompt service!

Tony

Don't thank ME for selling you a speaker with a problem!! It rarely happens, but I hate it when it does. You are being a gentleman about it. We'll take care of you.

Brent Passmore started within a week of when I did, over twelve years ago. He takes every single repair personally, and he knows the technical aspects of Triad better than anyone.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #548 of 6464 Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Paul:

I am ready to buy, can you give me the name of a Triad dealer in Roswell (Atlanta), GA and Birmingham, AL

Thanks,
Eddie
post #549 of 6464 Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburn82 View Post

Paul:

I am ready to buy, can you give me the name of a Triad dealer in Roswell (Atlanta), GA and Birmingham, AL

Thanks,
Eddie

Call my rep, Chris Hobbs, at 770 518 1153 for an Atlanta dealer, and call his partner, David Turner at 251 510 3283 for Alabama dealers. Tell them each that you got their numbers from me through AVS Forum.

Thanks!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #550 of 6464 Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 AM

With 3 IW Gold 4/LCR and 4 IW Gold 4/Surrounds, what Sub would you reccomend in a 21 x 18 room, Also is the amp included in the price of each amp.How would the Poineer Elite line of AVR's work with this speaker array?? Thanks
post #551 of 6464 Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

what Sub would you reccomend in a 21 x 18 room,

Personally, I would go with two (2) Inroom Gold Powersubs if you have room or one (1) Inroom Platinum.

My room is a tad smaller than yours and I run the Gold Powersubs mated with Gold LCR's. This setup sounds absolutely freaking amazing for home theater.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #552 of 6464 Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Personally, I would go with two (2) Inroom Gold Powersubs if you have room or one (1) Inroom Platinum.

My room is a tad smaller than yours and I run the Gold Powersubs mated with Gold LCR's. This setup sounds absolutely freaking amazing for home theater.

Good suggestions. I like two InRoom Gold PowerSubs better than one Platinum, but if you only have room for one sub, the Platinum is a very rude and bad boy. 1,000 real watts and an 18" driver. (1,000 continuous watts...not rated the way "some others" rate their amps.)

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #553 of 6464 Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Can you recomend maybe two in walls/ceilings, and will the elite VSX-94TXH, or the elite SC-05 be a compatible AVR?? I'm new to all this HT stuff so excuse my ignorance, but the elites mention 8 ohms while the Triads mention 4 ohms. Whats that mean anyway, and will it affect the performance of the speakers or the AVR??
post #554 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

Can you recomend maybe two in walls/ceilings, and will the elite VSX-94TXH, or the elite SC-05 be a compatible AVR?? I'm new to all this HT stuff so excuse my ignorance, but the elites mention 8 ohms while the Triads mention 4 ohms. Whats that mean anyway, and will it affect the performance of the speakers or the AVR??

Pioneer receivers will usually drive a 4 ohm load with no problem, but as I've mentioned before, receiver manufacturers use the disclaimer that you should only run 8 ohm speakers. That eliminates 50% of the good speakers, BTW. What they don't tell you is it's probably harder to drive an 8 ohm speaker with 86 dB sensitivity than a 4 ohm speaker with 91 dB sensitivity. Pioneer, Newcastle, Yamaha, Denon, NAD, harman/kardon, and a few others seem to do well with 4 ohm speakers. For the record, we get maybe one call every two months about our 4 ohm speakers shutting down some Nancy-boy receiver.

For your application, do you just want a pair of full-range inwalls or inceilings? That's how your question reads. Give me more details and I'll try to help.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #555 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 AM

I'd prefer to keep it all in wall or in ceiling. I'm looking for recommendations at this point from an expert(as opposed to a complete ingnoramous like myself). But i do want it all inwall, should I go inceiling or in wall with the subs?? Thanks
post #556 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'd prefer to keep it all in wall or in ceiling. I'm looking for recommendations at this point from an expert(as opposed to a complete ingnoramous like myself). But i do want it all inwall, should I go inceiling or in wall with the subs?? Thanks

How big is the room?
How loud will you listen, ever?
What's your budget?
Mostly theater? Some music? What kind?
Is there full carpeting, drapes, upholstered furniture, etc?
How much wall stud depth do you have?
How much space in the ceiling?
Is there access to run speaker wire?

More information is needed. I'll be glad to make a recommendation, but I can't tell enough from what you've offered up so far.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #557 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 04:31 PM

I have InRoom Gold LCR and would like to move it higher on the wall. Is there a recommended wall mount that I can use for the Gold LCR?
post #558 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalwish View Post

I have InRoom Gold LCR and would like to move it higher on the wall. Is there a recommended wall mount that I can use for the Gold LCR?

Not recommended. The speaker is very heavy, and you cannot just drill into MDF to install a bracket. I recommend a very, very sturdy small shelf. Maybe Chief or another similar company makes something.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #559 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

you cannot just drill into MDF to install a bracket.

Why not? MDF will hold screws as long as pilot holes are drilled, and you use appropriate screws.
post #560 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Ok, I'm going to search to see what Chief has.
I found http://www.b-tech-int.com/BT77.htm that supposedly could handle up to 55 pounds.
post #561 of 6464 Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:

How big is the room?
How loud will you listen, ever?
What's your budget?
Mostly theater? Some music? What kind?
Is there full carpeting, drapes, upholstered furniture, etc?
How much wall stud depth do you have?
How much space in the ceiling?
Is there access to run speaker wire?

More information is needed. I'll be glad to make a recommendation, but I can't tell enough from what you've offered up so far.

Like I said I'm new to all this, The room is 21 x 18 with wall to wall carpeting. I'm trying to limit the overall cost, but am going to spend whatever I need to get what I want which will be an Elite Sc-05 or VSX-94TXH(that much I know) and a very good in wall speaker system in the $5000 to $9000 area, which will be paired up with my aquos 65 HDTV. I have a 6 inch stud depth and I would prefer to keep it all in wall as opposed to in ceiling as I could run all the wires down and back up through the cellar.
post #562 of 6464 Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Like I said I'm new to all this, The room is 21 x 18 with wall to wall carpeting. I'm trying to limit the overall cost, but am going to spend whatever I need to get what I want which will be an Elite Sc-05 or VSX-94TXH(that much I know) and a very good in wall speaker system in the $5000 to $9000 area, which will be paired up with my aquos 65 HDTV. I have a 6 inch stud depth and I would prefer to keep it all in wall as opposed to in ceiling as I could run all the wires down and back up through the cellar.

The added information helps. Look at the InWall Silver/6 LCR, which is actually easier to drove than the InWall Bronze/4 LCR due to slightly higher impedance and sensitivity. The added stud depth allows the Silver/6 to have a smaller, narrower, better-looking grill than the InWall Silver/4 LCR. Three of them are $3,300. You would have to consider positioning the center horizontally, and that would require moving a stud or framing for it, which is not that big a deal (as long as a carpenter and drywaller do it.) If the TV is high on the wall, the center can be vertically-aligned. A pair of InWall Bronze/4 Surrounds will work in that room, and they're $1,200 a pair. I would do two InWall Bronze/6 PowerSubs in the front wall, near the floor, for $2,900 for both. This is somewhere in the middle of your budget, and for an improvement within the Triad line, you'd have to make a bigger leap.

With the relatively small (relatively!) grills and the free custom paint option, the three fronts and two subs will blend into the front wall unobtrusively. The system will sound great in that room, and it'll slam when you want to turn it up.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #563 of 6464 Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 AM

Just an update from some time ago. I just received the 3 Gold LCR in-walls for my room last week and with the pockets in the walls all ready for them it was a snap to install them. I never heard the name Triad 6 months ago and now I own 8 of them. I also purchased a Middle Atlantic 7 foot rack system and so all the components are in-wall. This room in my new house is much smaller and is our living room. I had the front wall built just for the speakers and the plasma. The 58-inch Samsung sits flat against the wall because of a 4-inch deep pocket or recessed area for the mount and wiring to sit hidden. Reason was that when you walk into the room you can see the side of the plasma and I didn't want to see the mount or wires. You can't see how the TV is attached to the wall at all, neat.

The speakers flank the TV and the center was custom made by Triad so that it could be installed horizontally in the wall. I also had them custom painted which was a great idea.

I listened to the system most of the day yesterday and last night we watched a movie. I was very pleased with the result. I listened to everything from Piano (George Winston) to Old Rock (Pick Floyd) and the speakers didn't miss a beat. I found them crisp, accurate and vocals came through very well.

My thanks to all of you at AVS who helped with this project and for helping me decide on the Triad in-walls. I'd also like to thank you Paul for talking with me and really having just a genuine concern in seeing this project work. My thanks go out to Bruce Franklin who helped with my dealer trouble and worked in the middle to get the order worked out.

John
post #564 of 6464 Old 11-23-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great news, John! Just make sure you set those big speakers to "small" at 60 Hz or 80 Hz for use with a sub. This is the most common setup error I've seen on our Gold and Platinum LCRs, due to their imposing size.

After a few days, you may have more comments or questions. In the meantime, enjoy your system. Life is good.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #565 of 6464 Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks Paul, you are the DUDE!!
post #566 of 6464 Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Paul, you are the DUDE!!

Even when I was a kid, I thought I knew what I was doing...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #567 of 6464 Old 11-24-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So I'm still using my M&K ss150 surrounds with my Triad Gold LCR's. (between my two rows of chairs). I'm considering replacing these with the Triad Silver/4 Omni Sconce on the back wall. As a result first row would be about 9ft from the rears and the second row about 4ft from the rears. Any thoughts about my plan? The Omni Sconce seem to be a good fit for my room. This would be a 5.1 system so existing SS150 between rows will be eliminated completely.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #568 of 6464 Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So I'm still using my M&K ss150 surrounds with my Triad Gold LCR's. (between my two rows of chairs). I'm considering replacing these with the Triad Silver/4 Omni Sconce on the back wall. As a result first row would be about 9ft from the rears and the second row about 4ft from the rears. Any thoughts about my plan? The Omni Sconce seem to be a good fit for my room. This would be a 5.1 system so existing SS150 between rows will be eliminated completely.

As much as I love to sell speakers, that isn't a good move. Side surrounds are far more important than rears, and in your room, you probably want to maintain some robust dipoles, which the M&Ks are. Unless you're tired of those decent-sounding but homely M&Ks, I'd keep using them. If you wanted to do the Sconce, which is a direct-radiating speaker, I'd do 7.1 and four of them. The light feature is very cool. Then there are the InWall Gold/4 Surrounds, which are pretty amazing, and they'll fit flush into a 4" stud space. That would be an upgrade over what you have for 5.1.

Let me know how the service issue goes. And PM me your home address, if you don't mind. (No, I am not a stalker...)

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #569 of 6464 Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

PM sent Paul!

So.. my situation is I have two rows of seats. The ss150 tripoles worked well for me because I mounted between the rows on wall mounts but have the monopole section of the speakers turned towards the front row to give the me an enveloped effect while still getting some directional effect.

What would be a good alternative if I move to Triads for surrounds?

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #570 of 6464 Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tony, the Gold Surrounds would do a great job, but I don't know if you'd hear a substantial improvement over the M&Ks. Ours look way better, and they sound better, but in a surround application, a $3,000 pair of new surrounds would be somewhat of a luxury. I hate being honest.

BTW, you still get directional cues from dipoles. It's when you sit directly in the null (on axis) that the sound is really diffuse.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page