post #31 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by doober72 View Post

Looking at installing Triad in-ceilings in my basement HT. Limited to in-ceilings due to existing wiring and WAF. Room is 15 X 18 (TV is mounted on 15 ft. side). Hoping to keep budget for 5 speakers (L/R/C/rears) near/under $3500. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on Triad dealers in the Twin Cities area? Thanks.

The Triad rep in Minnesota is Ray Settle, a good guy. He can be reached at 952-400-0909. Tell him I referred you and ask for a dealer.

Three InCeiling Bronze/8 LCRs are $2250 total, and two InWall Bronze/4 Surrounds (can go in the ceiling) are $1100 for the pair, which puts you at $3350, including custom paint matching. Hopefully, you will be in both marital and sonic bliss.

If you must go inceiling, this is still a very good option. The illusion with the angled baffles is that the sound is coming from the screen and not the ceiling. When I turn the office system on for music, my dog barks at the screen; not the ceiling, and his ears are better than ours.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Paul, thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, how much of a price jump would it be to the silvers?
post #33 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Also, since I plan to use these not only for HT, but also for music listening, are the L/C/Rs still the best choice? or any other brands you would recommend. (by the way are ceilings are just under 8ft, and TV is mounted above a fireplace).
post #34 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doober72 View Post

Looking at installing Triad in-ceilings in my basement HT. Limited to in-ceilings due to existing wiring and WAF. Room is 15 X 18 (TV is mounted on 15 ft. side). Hoping to keep budget for 5 speakers (L/R/C/rears) near/under $3500. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on Triad dealers in the Twin Cities area? Thanks.

The Bronze InCeiling LCR (InCeiling/8) are 750 each. That's their cheapest real speaker unless you go with their small Omni's which I believe your room is too big for. So, that's 3750.00 without a sub and without the price of installation.
post #35 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

Great looking setup. I keep scouring magazines (Electronic House, Audio Video Interiors, etc.) for ideas on the design of my dedicated media room and it isn't often that they showcase a setup where the front speakers are In-Room.

The Platinum center channel is the secret that makes this soundstage shine above all others I have ever heard period. The timbre matched drivers across the front three (integrating stereo subs; everything crossed over at 80Hz) and yielding incredible dynamic range is something to behold. The first thing people notice (besides the immense size of the center channel) is the clean, crisp and throaty (rich sounding) dialogue that is only matched by the very best movie theaters; even at low volume levels. At $6k+ retail price for the center channel, it should be every bit that good and then some, and it does deliver the goods.

Adz
post #36 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

The Platinum center channel is the secret that makes this soundstage shine above all others I have ever heard period. The timbre matched drivers across the front three (integrating stereo subs; everything crossed over at 80Hz) and yielding incredible dynamic range is something to behold. The first thing people notice (besides the immense size of the center channel) is the clean, crisp and throaty (rich sounding) dialogue that is only matched by the very best movie theaters; even at low volume levels. At $6k+ retail price for the center channel, it should be every bit that good and then some, and it does deliver the goods.

That is a sick center channel for sure..... although not the prettiest speaker I've ever seen. hehe. Might want to keep the speaker grills on. hahaha.

What are you powering them with? What front projector are you using? give us the entire setup.
post #37 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

That is a sick center channel for sure..... although not the prettiest speaker I've ever seen. hehe. Might want to keep the speaker grills on. hahaha.

What are you powering them with? What front projector are you using? give us the entire setup.

When the lights are out, it disappears but I do keep the grills on usually.

My current rack and the rest of this set-up is:

1. Lexicon - MC12HD EQ 1080p pre/pro

2. Lexicon new Zx-7 300wpc amplifier (has two power supplies requiring 2 separate dedicated 15 amp outlets)

3. Projector is a callibrated JVC RS1 (soon to be replaced by the RS2) projecting onto a 114" 16:9 Stewart Firehawk screen.

4. Samsung Blu Ray 1200 player.

5. Cambridge Audio Azur 840C up-sampling CD player (coming in shortly)

6. Shunyata Hydra Model 8, Model 4 power conditioning,

7. Cabling is a combination of Speltz Anti-Cable, Bolder Cables, and Bluejeans cable.

8. Def Tech Trinity Subwoofer - handling just the LFE. Triad Platinum dual 18" subs handle front left and right channels separately (below 80 Hz).

Adz
post #38 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Adz, that's certainly a whale of a system and everything in it is at the top of their class. You have great taste my man!
post #39 of 6391 Old 12-16-2007, 08:45 PM

In-Wall Mounting Post Construction

It does not look like there are options for installing your in-walls merely through the wall cut-size?? I see you offer new construction brackets, I assume the name indicates that the brackets are used pre-sheet rock!

Please advise on the possibility of installing a system for post construction homes using a single hole cut that fits the speaker??

Thanks-
Kevin
post #40 of 6391 Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Retrofits are easy. Cut the hole, and install the speaker. New construction brackets aren't even necessary for new construction, but they make things easier.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #41 of 6391 Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Retrofits are easy. Cut the hole, and install the speaker. New construction brackets aren't even necessary for new construction, but they make things easier.

If you are experienced in using a ruler, a level and a pencil you are good to go Of course the tricky part is running the speaker wires in the existing wall.

Ray (do it yourself klutz)
post #42 of 6391 Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don't make it sound TOO easy or we CI's won't get to have any fun.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #43 of 6391 Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Don't make it sound TOO easy or we CI's won't get to have any fun.

Well, it's real important to know WHERE to cut the hole
post #44 of 6391 Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 PM

Perhaps i assumed the thread IQ to be higher, thanks for the feedback !!

Let's assume that i am looking at a speaker size that is not ~14 inches wide and my house is located on earth, based on the obvious feedback it appears the brackets that are considered new construction can easily be utilized??

Please consider -

1.) Mount fits through wall-cut and is fastened to wall stud.
2.) Speaker location is likely not in center of said wall studs.
3.) Speaker case needs to be fastened to brackets.

I really would like to get a set of Silver/6 LCR (yes i have 2X6 construction), please refer to the very clear instructions from Triad.....not

-The speakers are the last things spec out and I need help, would like to get three Silver/ 6 LCR to support new pioneer plasma. being complete box that fits the cut-out i am having a tough time picturing the install and thus securing the ~25 lbs!

-Pile on
post #45 of 6391 Old 12-18-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy480 View Post

1.) Mount fits through wall-cut and is fastened to wall stud.
2.) Speaker location is likely not in center of said wall studs.
3.) Speaker case needs to be fastened to brackets.

I really would like to get a set of Silver/6 LCR (yes i have 2X6 construction), please refer to the very clear instructions from Triad.....not

There is no separate "mount" that is used in a retrofit installation. As far as the postion of the studs and how that limits your speaker placement, well, that's one of the problems with inwalls. It's usually workable. And the speaker enclosure does not attach to the studs at all. There are four expanndable retro brackets that slide out and hold the speaker between the frame and the sheetrock. Even in a ceiling application, I don't ever recall one breaking through. In an inwall application, even an InWall Gold/6 LCR, which weighs quite a lot, can be installed this way safely.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #46 of 6391 Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 AM

So I feel like a newbie asking for opinions on my clients system, but I guess I am just trying to get a feel or reactions to what is being done. I am not the A/V contractor, just the architect.

In-wall Gold/6 Monitors for LCR
Custom Silver/9 Powered Sub (x2) up front
Sides will be In-wall Gold/6 Mini monitors
In-wall Bronze/6 power subs below the mini monitors
Rears will be 2 in-ceiling Gold/8 Mini monitors.

All this being powered by Krell's.

I am sure this is going to blow away my Klispch Reference system that I have at home, but are we talking by rediculous amounts? Thats the only thing I can compare it to, other than a Movie Theater.

All comments and or suggestions welcome.
post #47 of 6391 Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Canuck_1989 View Post

So I feel like a newbie asking for opinions on my clients system, but I guess I am just trying to get a feel or reactions to what is being done. I am not the A/V contractor, just the architect.

In-wall Gold/6 Monitors for LCR
Custom Silver/9 Powered Sub (x2) up front
Sides will be In-wall Gold/6 Mini monitors
In-wall Bronze/6 power subs below the mini monitors
Rears will be 2 in-ceiling Gold/8 Mini monitors.

All this being powered by Krell's.

I am sure this is going to blow away my Klispch Reference system that I have at home, but are we talking by rediculous amounts? Thats the only thing I can compare it to, other than a Movie Theater.

All comments and or suggestions welcome.

That's a very expensive and excellent system, including the Krell electronics. I can't comment on how it relates to the room, though, and I have to refer to the custom installer. In this case, I can guess who he is, and he is very competent (Lake Forest dealer??.)

The Gold Monitors are the most accurate front speakers we offer, with high sensitivity, but they won't play as loudly as the Platinum LCRs. I assume the room is moderately-sized. I'll also surmise the custom versions of the Silver PowerSubs were spec'd because of wall depth limitations. We have the abilty to do custom sizes quickly. The Gold MiniMonitors share a family sound with the Gold Monitors, and are an appropriate choice for surrounds. The additional InWall Bronze/6 PowerSubs will greatly augment the bass, but I don't know the particular configuration in this system.

Even though I have three Gold Monitors in the front of my theater, this setup is better than mine. And with Krell driving it, this will be amazing, and a first-rate system.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #48 of 6391 Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing wrong with Klipsch, but depending on the model you have, it would be hard pressed to outperform the Triad Gold's.

I'm rarely impressed by a movie theaters sound. However, the system your client has put together definitely will.

post #49 of 6391 Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks Tony and Paul for the comments. Paul you are correct about the installer being in Lake Forest. So far I have been very impressed with him and his knowledge. The room used to be a crawlspace before we dug it out and dropped it down 8'. The finished room will be about 26'-0" x 16'-0". There will be 3 levels of seating with the 4th level (kitchenette) possibly being brought down a level due to some head height issues. The customs subs were designed due to wall depth limitations. My client didn't want to loose any depth but still wanted the sound. I have never heard theses speakers so I don't know how well it will all sound. I keep meaing to make it up to the installers new showroom, but haven't had the chance.

Not trying to undercut the installer or anything like that, but do you have any tips or recommendations that I can pass on to the carpenters?

All I know is that most of the people in the office come to me in regards to stereo and home theater equipment, but I have to admit, I had to do a little research on all this stuff. I know the names and that they are great products, but what this system will end up doing, I can't wait to hear.
post #50 of 6391 Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Tony and Paul for the comments. Paul you are correct about the installer being in Lake Forest. So far I have been very impressed with him and his knowledge. The room used to be a crawlspace before we dug it out and dropped it down 8'. The finished room will be about 26'-0" x 16'-0". There will be 3 levels of seating with the 4th level (kitchenette) possibly being brought down a level due to some head height issues. The customs subs were designed due to wall depth limitations. My client didn't want to loose any depth but still wanted the sound. I have never heard theses speakers so I don't know how well it will all sound. I keep meaing to make it up to the installers new showroom, but haven't had the chance.

Not trying to undercut the installer or anything like that, but do you have any tips or recommendations that I can pass on to the carpenters?

All I know is that most of the people in the office come to me in regards to stereo and home theater equipment, but I have to admit, I had to do a little research on all this stuff. I know the names and that they are great products, but what this system will end up doing, I can't wait to hear.

Now that I know who the custom installation company is, I can tell you that I have spoken to him about this system, and the Gold Monitors and Gold MiniMonitors were my suggestion. I've known Brad and his wife for almost 30 years (was at his wedding!), and I've known two of his installers for 20 or more years. They're really competent, especially (IMHO), Steve. I would expect them to stay abreast of the construction so there are no snags. If I were an upscale client in the Chicago area, this is the company I'd use for my own home. "If," I said. If I didn't work in the industry, I wouldn't be able to afford this dream system.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #51 of 6391 Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Oh sure make me drool some more with telling me about this "dream system." I will have to send you some photos at some point so you can see this thing as it is coming along.
post #52 of 6391 Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Oh sure make me drool some more with telling me about this "dream system." I will have to send you some photos at some point so you can see this thing as it is coming along.

I would love to see the installation, both in progress and completed. Like a rookie, I still get excited about every Triad system that goes in.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #53 of 6391 Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM

I am looking for some help looking for an in wall-ceiling system for home. My wife has banished me from the old style speakers so here I am. Based upon all the info I have gathered from this website in-wall systems are a last resort but it seems that there is hope.

I have purchased a 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma screen and an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver used in the 5.1 mode and I am thinking about going with some in wall-ceiling Triad speakers based upon the cost. I am a do it yourself kind of guy and would like to save the money from paying an installer and investing it into the system. My apologies to all of the installers out there.

I will need to get the 2 front, center and 2 rear speakers. The sub is taken care of. This is a den connected to an open kitchen & breakfast area with 9' ceiling and approximately 300 sq ft in the den with spillover into the other 2 rooms. Due to a fireplace & wall of windows I will most likely need in ceiling speakers. I can access the attic so it shouldn't be an issue to do the install. I want the speaker to be boxed correctly and this is one of the reasons I like the Triads.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

GearGuy
post #54 of 6391 Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy View Post

I am looking for some help looking for an in wall-ceiling system for home. My wife has banished me from the old style speakers so here I am. Based upon all the info I have gathered from this website in-wall systems are a last resort but it seems that there is hope.

I have purchased a 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma screen and an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver used in the 5.1 mode and I am thinking about going with some in wall-ceiling Triad speakers based upon the cost. I am a do it yourself kind of guy and would like to save the money from paying an installer and investing it into the system. My apologies to all of the installers out there.

I will need to get the 2 front, center and 2 rear speakers. The sub is taken care of. This is a den connected to an open kitchen & breakfast area with 9' ceiling and approximately 300 sq ft in the den with spillover into the other 2 rooms. Due to a fireplace & wall of windows I will most likely need in ceiling speakers. I can access the attic so it shouldn't be an issue to do the install. I want the speaker to be boxed correctly and this is one of the reasons I like the Triads.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

GearGuy

Our InCeiling LCRs start at $600 each for the InCeiling Mini/8 LCR, but the $750 InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR offers much more bang. You can do two InWall Silver/4 Surrounds in the ceiling ($750 each), and all five grills will be the same size and paint matched to your ceiling. If you have a more live room, you may want to do two InCeiling Gold//8 Omnis in the back at $600 each, for a direct-radiating surround. It's uncanny how the front image is at the top of the screen and not the ceiling.

It sounds like you're "stuck" with a ceiling application, and this is a way of going into the ceiling and still having a great system.

There are other Triad InCeiling models up to the $2,450-each InCeiling Silver/6 Monitor.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #55 of 6391 Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I would love to see the installation, both in progress and completed. Like a rookie, I still get excited about every Triad system that goes in.

Paul, Send me a PM if you want to give me an email address and I can send you some photos of the theater in its current stage.
post #56 of 6391 Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was using Triad Silver on-wall surrounds for a little while, they sounded great, but didn't integrate well with my Tannoy fronts and center. Anyone looking for a set?

Mike
post #57 of 6391 Old 12-21-2007, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone looking for a set?

Try ebay or Audiogon.com. They will move quick.

post #58 of 6391 Old 12-22-2007, 08:53 AM

Several weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a Triad 7.2 setup. In-Wall Silvers left/ceter/right, Bronze in-wall surrounds and back, and two Silver subs. My question is with regards to the amp. I am doing a amp/preamp set up and am looking at a Rotel 7 channel 100 watt class D amp. The specs say the amp is 100x7 into 8 ohms-Is this going to be sufficient to drive these speakers?

Thanks for any advice
post #59 of 6391 Old 12-22-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

The InWall Bronze LCRs and Silver LCRs are a fairly benign load, and an amp rated to 6 ohms will work fine. An amp rated to 4 ohms may have more headroom, and any serious amplifier will handle a 2 ohm load, but it's not necessary in this case. However...overkill is always good.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #60 of 6391 Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My question is with regards to the amp. I am doing a amp/preamp set up and am looking at a Rotel 7 channel 100 watt class D amp.

I'm not a big fan of class D technologies accept when used for audio distribution for whole-house audio projects (low heat, convienence, size). For dedicated HT media spaces, I much prefer solid state amplification. The warmth in sound, reliability, and robust power for 2-8ohms loads is unmatched in my personal opinion. Some may argue, but I deal with this everyday in the real-world environment.

I'm not trying to necessarily persuade you from class-D, but I would be doing an injustice not to air my personal feelings on this subject. Will it work? Sure. But, they do sound different and that is what bugs me. Class D or digital amps often add or take away from how the track was intended IMO. An amp should be as neutral in presentation as possible, it should never warm or brighten the sound. This is where I feel solid-state amplification of good quality has the edge and why I continue to use it.

Some affordable amps I would recommend:
  1. Parasound Halo and NewClassic Series
  2. Bryston
  3. Sherbourn
  4. Rotel
  5. NAD
  6. Sunfire
[/list]
What pre are you using? It might be a good idea to mate the pre with a matching amp from the same manufacturer unless you are using an AVR.?.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page