Triad Owner's Thread - Page 210 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6271 of 6281 Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If you don't have to use in-ceilings for any reason but for overhead effects (such as those in Dolby Atmos and DTS-UHD object formats, the former just announced for home use) then you shouldn't. You want to lock the sound with the picture as much as possible.

In-ceilings are usually a last resort kind of speaker due to less than ideal room situations or if you're just doing ambient mood music in a non-critical application.
A fair amount of my decision is based on he conversation I had last time. I went back and reread some of it and basically the consensus was due to the height of the tv and where the speakers would have to be... And he'd instance we sit from he tv, ceiling speakers would be a better fit

As far as locking the sound with the picture, since these speakers are angled, I thought that this corrected that issue? Or is here some other factor that I am not taking into account?

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand and make the best decision possible as opposed to wasting money.

Thanks
mmcxiiad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6272 of 6281 Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Accidental double post
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #6273 of 6281 Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
A fair amount of my decision is based on he conversation I had last time. I went back and reread some of it and basically the consensus was due to the height of the tv and where the speakers would have to be... And he'd instance we sit from he tv, ceiling speakers would be a better fit

As far as locking the sound with the picture, since these speakers are angled, I thought that this corrected that issue? Or is here some other factor that I am not taking into account?

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand and make the best decision possible as opposed to wasting money.

Thanks
Only a little bit. And if you did want to move up to Atmos at some point... well, it would be really, really hard with front speakers in the ceiling as well as in-ceiling speakers that are supposed to be above you. It would totally throw off the sound stage. In-ceilings still to much of an extent become like VOG speakers whether you want them to or not.

Do you have pictures of your room?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6274 of 6281 Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Only a little bit. And if you did want to move up to Atmos at some point... well, it would be really, really hard with front speakers in the ceiling as well as in-ceiling speakers that are supposed to be above you. It would totally throw off the sound stage. In-ceilings still to much of an extent become like VOG speakers whether you want them to or not.

Do you have pictures of your room?
Yep. here is the post where I posted a few pics and description. It is our master Bedroom. I will never do atmos in this room. Putting in a 5.1 setup was the limits of what my wife and I agreed on (I wanted 7.1... she was apprehensive about even putting the 55 inch tv in.

After much negotiation and concessions... 5.1 is the limit.

Initially i didn't want in ceiling speakers. I had asked about in wall ones. My concern was that the center would have to fit between the studs. Also, on the other side of the wall is the laundry room. so I am limited about building a box to mount a speaker sideways.

After a little back and forth in ceilings were mentioned as the best way to go. I am not stuck on them if I can find a better solution.

The one advantage I have with in ceiling is there is nothing but blown in insulation above the room.
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #6275 of 6281 Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
Yep. here is the post where I posted a few pics and description. It is our master Bedroom. I will never do atmos in this room. Putting in a 5.1 setup was the limits of what my wife and I agreed on (I wanted 7.1... she was apprehensive about even putting the 55 inch tv in.

After much negotiation and concessions... 5.1 is the limit.

Initially i didn't want in ceiling speakers. I had asked about in wall ones. My concern was that the center would have to fit between the studs. Also, on the other side of the wall is the laundry room. so I am limited about building a box to mount a speaker sideways.

After a little back and forth in ceilings were mentioned as the best way to go. I am not stuck on them if I can find a better solution.

The one advantage I have with in ceiling is there is nothing but blown in insulation above the room.
Ah, now I see. Go with the angled in-ceilings as others have mentioned. It's not a mission-critical room anyway and they'll be fine for your bedroom (I'm just not used to having surround systems in a bedroom setting). If this had been for a main theater I wouldn't have gone with the in-ceilings except for use as Atmos overheads.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6276 of 6281 Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Senior Member
 
mmcxiiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We'll, now to go back my original question - which would I be better off with gold omniSE or silver minimonitor?
mmcxiiad is offline  
post #6277 of 6281 Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
We'll, now to go back my original question - which would I be better off with gold omniSE or silver minimonitor?
My vote's for the Silver MiniMonitor. It seems to have better drivers.

You will need a subwoofer with either.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6278 of 6281 Old 07-15-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 3,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 186
BTW, where's Paul?

Dan, are you the Guy taking over for Paul?

Colorado.......Listen Up? Isn't Listen Up an Audio Video retailer?

Just curious since you post here. A LOT!
doublewing11 is offline  
post #6279 of 6281 Old 07-15-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
BTW, where's Paul?

Dan, are you the Guy taking over for Paul?

Colorado.......Listen Up? Isn't Listen Up an Audio Video retailer?

Just curious since you post here. A LOT!
Just a forum member like you with a love of home theater and movies.

Paul is probably on vacation. He either retired from Triad or moved on to other things, so I'm sure he has other stuff to do than talk to us all the time (like having a life).

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6280 of 6281 Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
queendvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Just make sure it's the Marantz that's faulty and not the B&K. If it is the Marantz that has gone bad, then all you need is another pre-amp for now (which doesn't care what ohms a speaker is rated at... that's the amplifier), not necessarily a receiver unless you don't want to spend a lot right now. What kind of budget is right for you?
Dan, thanks for all the input. After finally finding some time to troubleshoot, it was simply a connectivity issue with the amp. Everything is all good and I've got audio again. Appreciate all the suggestions and am happy no $$ needing to be spent!
queendvd2 is offline  
post #6281 of 6281 Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post
Dan, thanks for all the input. After finally finding some time to troubleshoot, it was simply a connectivity issue with the amp. Everything is all good and I've got audio again. Appreciate all the suggestions and am happy no $$ needing to be spent!
Fantastic news! If you get a chance to demo Dolby Atmos... more $$ may indeed be spent.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off