70Likes

post #6271 of 6574 Old 07-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If you don't have to use in-ceilings for any reason but for overhead effects (such as those in Dolby Atmos and DTS-UHD object formats, the former just announced for home use) then you shouldn't. You want to lock the sound with the picture as much as possible.

In-ceilings are usually a last resort kind of speaker due to less than ideal room situations or if you're just doing ambient mood music in a non-critical application.
A fair amount of my decision is based on he conversation I had last time. I went back and reread some of it and basically the consensus was due to the height of the tv and where the speakers would have to be... And he'd instance we sit from he tv, ceiling speakers would be a better fit

As far as locking the sound with the picture, since these speakers are angled, I thought that this corrected that issue? Or is here some other factor that I am not taking into account?

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand and make the best decision possible as opposed to wasting money.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6574 Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 PM

Accidental double post
post #6273 of 6574 Old 07-14-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
A fair amount of my decision is based on he conversation I had last time. I went back and reread some of it and basically the consensus was due to the height of the tv and where the speakers would have to be... And he'd instance we sit from he tv, ceiling speakers would be a better fit

As far as locking the sound with the picture, since these speakers are angled, I thought that this corrected that issue? Or is here some other factor that I am not taking into account?

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand and make the best decision possible as opposed to wasting money.

Thanks
Only a little bit. And if you did want to move up to Atmos at some point... well, it would be really, really hard with front speakers in the ceiling as well as in-ceiling speakers that are supposed to be above you. It would totally throw off the sound stage. In-ceilings still to much of an extent become like VOG speakers whether you want them to or not.

Do you have pictures of your room?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #6274 of 6574 Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Only a little bit. And if you did want to move up to Atmos at some point... well, it would be really, really hard with front speakers in the ceiling as well as in-ceiling speakers that are supposed to be above you. It would totally throw off the sound stage. In-ceilings still to much of an extent become like VOG speakers whether you want them to or not.

Do you have pictures of your room?
Yep. here is the post where I posted a few pics and description. It is our master Bedroom. I will never do atmos in this room. Putting in a 5.1 setup was the limits of what my wife and I agreed on (I wanted 7.1... she was apprehensive about even putting the 55 inch tv in.

After much negotiation and concessions... 5.1 is the limit.

Initially i didn't want in ceiling speakers. I had asked about in wall ones. My concern was that the center would have to fit between the studs. Also, on the other side of the wall is the laundry room. so I am limited about building a box to mount a speaker sideways.

After a little back and forth in ceilings were mentioned as the best way to go. I am not stuck on them if I can find a better solution.

The one advantage I have with in ceiling is there is nothing but blown in insulation above the room.
post #6275 of 6574 Old 07-14-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep. here is the post where I posted a few pics and description. It is our master Bedroom. I will never do atmos in this room. Putting in a 5.1 setup was the limits of what my wife and I agreed on (I wanted 7.1... she was apprehensive about even putting the 55 inch tv in.

After much negotiation and concessions... 5.1 is the limit.

Initially i didn't want in ceiling speakers. I had asked about in wall ones. My concern was that the center would have to fit between the studs. Also, on the other side of the wall is the laundry room. so I am limited about building a box to mount a speaker sideways.

After a little back and forth in ceilings were mentioned as the best way to go. I am not stuck on them if I can find a better solution.

The one advantage I have with in ceiling is there is nothing but blown in insulation above the room.
Ah, now I see. Go with the angled in-ceilings as others have mentioned. It's not a mission-critical room anyway and they'll be fine for your bedroom (I'm just not used to having surround systems in a bedroom setting). If this had been for a main theater I wouldn't have gone with the in-ceilings except for use as Atmos overheads.

post #6276 of 6574 Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM

We'll, now to go back my original question - which would I be better off with gold omniSE or silver minimonitor?
post #6277 of 6574 Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We'll, now to go back my original question - which would I be better off with gold omniSE or silver minimonitor?
My vote's for the Silver MiniMonitor. It seems to have better drivers.

You will need a subwoofer with either.

post #6278 of 6574 Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
BTW, where's Paul?

Dan, are you the Guy taking over for Paul?

Colorado.......Listen Up? Isn't Listen Up an Audio Video retailer?

Just curious since you post here. A LOT!
post #6279 of 6574 Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
BTW, where's Paul?

Dan, are you the Guy taking over for Paul?

Colorado.......Listen Up? Isn't Listen Up an Audio Video retailer?

Just curious since you post here. A LOT!
Just a forum member like you with a love of home theater and movies.

Paul is probably on vacation. He either retired from Triad or moved on to other things, so I'm sure he has other stuff to do than talk to us all the time (like having a life).

post #6280 of 6574 Old 07-19-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Just make sure it's the Marantz that's faulty and not the B&K. If it is the Marantz that has gone bad, then all you need is another pre-amp for now (which doesn't care what ohms a speaker is rated at... that's the amplifier), not necessarily a receiver unless you don't want to spend a lot right now. What kind of budget is right for you?
Dan, thanks for all the input. After finally finding some time to troubleshoot, it was simply a connectivity issue with the amp. Everything is all good and I've got audio again. Appreciate all the suggestions and am happy no $$ needing to be spent!
post #6281 of 6574 Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post
Dan, thanks for all the input. After finally finding some time to troubleshoot, it was simply a connectivity issue with the amp. Everything is all good and I've got audio again. Appreciate all the suggestions and am happy no $$ needing to be spent!
Fantastic news! If you get a chance to demo Dolby Atmos... more $$ may indeed be spent.

post #6282 of 6574 Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Lightbulb 4ohms mixed with 8ohm speakers?

If I was to replace my Klipsch inwall THX fronts KL-7800 THX speakers which are 8ohms, with Triad Silver/4LCR inwall speakers which are 4ohms, how would they mix with the rest of my Klipsch ceiling speakers which are also 8ohms? I have an 11.2 setup.

My AVR is the Integra 70.4 which I also use with a separate Integra amp DTA 70.1

My Integra AVR 70.4 only has two settings 4 or 6 ohms. Currently its set to 6ohms for all the Klipsch speakers.

I am only powering the two rear channels from the AVR, the rest are powered from the separate amp. I do see on the rear of the amp there is also a switch to set it to 4 ohms or 6ohms.

So the question is, can I mix your three Silver/4LCR 4ohm speakers up front safely with the rest of my Klipsch 8ohm surround speakers?
If so how do I setup the AVR and the separate power amp?
Do they both get set to 4ohms?

Last edited by RapalloAV; 07-22-2014 at 08:36 PM.
post #6283 of 6574 Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
If I was to replace my Klipsch inwall THX fronts KL-7800 THX speakers which are 8ohms, with Triad Silver/4LCR inwall speakers which are 4ohms, how would they mix with the rest of my Klipsch ceiling speakers which are also 8ohms? I have an 11.2 setup.

My AVR is the Integra 70.4 which I also use with a separate Integra amp DTA 70.1

My Integra AVR 70.4 only has two settings 4 or 6 ohms. Currently its set to 6ohms for all the Klipsch speakers.

I am only powering the two rear channels from the AVR, the rest are powered from the separate amp. I do see on the rear of the amp there is also a switch to set it to 4 ohms or 6ohms.

So the question is, can I mix your three Silver/4LCR 4ohm speakers up front safely with the rest of my Klipsch 8ohm surround speakers?
I'd probably run the Triads via the DTA-70.1 and set it to the 4 ohm setting. The Klipsch's are far, far easier to drive (8 ohm and very sensitive) and would probably do just fine powered by the receiver.

post #6284 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

He either retired from Triad or moved on to other things, so I'm sure he has other stuff to do than talk to us all the time (like having a life).
Oh I did not know that Paul was no longer with Triad. If correct he will be missed as he was an excellent champion for the brand.
post #6285 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I'd probably run the Triads via the DTA-70.1 and set it to the 4 ohm setting. The Klipsch's are far, far easier to drive (8 ohm and very sensitive) and would probably do just fine powered by the receiver.

Wow brilliant idea I had never thought of that, thank you!

Could you describe the difference I might hear, feel with using the three triads up front over the Klipsch KL7800s?
I have never heard or seen Triad speakers here in NZ, Im only going from what I read.....

I find the Klipsch kind of bright, not warm enough with the four SVS PB13 Ultras I have. I really want a better match. Something better for the fronts...

Anyone please pitch in if you can add anything here...
post #6286 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow brilliant idea I had never thought of that, thank you!

Could you describe the difference I might hear, feel with using the three triads up front over the Klipsch KL7800s?
I have never heard or seen Triad speakers here in NZ, Im only going from what I read.....

I find the Klipsch kind of bright, not warm enough with the four SVS PB13 Ultras I have. I really want a better match. Something better for the fronts...

Anyone please pitch in if you can add anything here...
When I listened to Triad Silver speakers I found them to have a very wide, dynamic sound stage and the high frequencies were non fatiguing, laid back, and smooth. The best way I could describe them would be: "natural" and "uncolored." Great for listening to music for extended periods. Dialog was clear and easy to understand. I find most consumer grade Klipsch speakers to be harsh and grating and irritating to listen to after a few minutes... like nails on a chalkboard. The sound is quite colored and it only gets worse as you raise the volume to "movie listening" levels.

With the debut of object based surround like Dolby Atmos, my advice would be to upgrade your surrounds to matching Silver monopole in-walls as well, so you have proper timbre matching. Triad should be showing new Atmos friendly speaker models at the CEDIA Expo in September, so it might be worth waiting for these announcements.

I believe you would be quite happy with a switch to the Triad brand... and no, I didn't get paid to state this.
grtuck likes this.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-23-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #6287 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Atmos, one step closer with base for ceiling cloud done........

More sanding, staining, filling knot holes in Knotty Alder.......home for six new Triads.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	177378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0056.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	177386  

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-23-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #6288 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of Atmos, one step closer with base for ceiling cloud done........

More sanding, staining, filling knot holes in Knotty Alder.......home for six new Triads.....

Wait.

Triad is coming out with new Atmos speakers and not just the kind that Pioneer and Onkyo are offering. More info should be forthcoming at CEDIA.

post #6289 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wait.

Triad is coming out with new Atmos speakers and not just the kind that Pioneer and Onkyo are offering. More info should be forthcoming at CEDIA.
Not necessarily going to work in my room............have had direct contact with Triad who have been in communique with Dolby. Looks like I may be looking at custom Silver LCR's in my room to match my 6 Silver LCR's and 3 Gold LCR's. Big question is will ther be enough depth in ceiling cloud to accommodate the minimum depth required to do so. We shall see.....

Atmos is still a mystery.......but info is leaking out ever sooooo slowly.
post #6290 of 6574 Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not necessarily going to work in my room............have had direct contact with Triad who have been in communique with Dolby. Looks like I may be looking at custom Silver LCR's in my room to match my 6 Silver LCR's and 3 Gold LCR's. Big question is will ther be enough depth in ceiling cloud to accommodate the minimum depth required to do so. We shall see.....

Well, since they pretty much build to order... it sounds like they already have Dolby approved schematics for Atmos friendly speakers, so definitely see what they can do to meet your needs. Just so long as they're timbre matched to what you have currently.

post #6291 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey guys, how much do the on wall Mini LCR speakers go for typically?

And when you do want to order custom sizes, how much does it typically cost for each speaker? Do they charge by 1/4 inch?

I have been trying to get pricing and emailed a few people that carry them but have not got any responses back.

Thanks
post #6292 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

And when you do want to order custom sizes, how much does it typically cost for each speaker? Do they charge by 1/4 inch?

I have been trying to get pricing and emailed a few people that carry them but have not got any responses back.

Thanks
There was a complete price list in this thread a few months ago. These are the new 2014 prices.

Custom sizes were not specified but you can at least get a sense of the base price for all models.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #6293 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very cool that you have been able to get info directly from Triad and Dolby to help with your planning.

post #6294 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
There was a complete price list in this thread a few months ago. These are the new 2014 prices.

Custom sizes were not specified but you can at least get a sense of the base price for all models.
Yeah, that is essentially what i want. Just an idea of the pricing. Do you know what page it is on?
post #6295 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those switches for impedance selection simply limit the power output. They put them in as a caveat and stopgap.

To keep operating temps low, they work. To unleash the full power of your gear, they get in the way. Ymmv.

--

And, frankly, while I like Klipsch, they have such different tonal, dispersion, and sensitivity characteristics from Triad's that I would do all or nothing, if it were me.

post #6296 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Oh I did not know that Paul was no longer with Triad. If correct he will be missed as he was an excellent champion for the brand.
He retired several years ago, but until recently was still so involved with the community it was hard to tell!

Although I miss his input, I am sort of happy to think he might be really enjoying the great outdoors, biking, and a well earned retirement.

post #6297 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

Thanks
Custom size change for the speaker it's self costs a little more. Custom grills are expensive.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6298 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Custom size change for the speaker it's self costs a little more. Custom grills are expensive.
Ok, how much do the Mini LCRs go for without custom sizing? I just want to know if they are in my price range or not.
post #6299 of 6574 Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Ok, how much do the Mini LCRs go for without custom sizing? I just want to know if they are in my price range or not.
The retail price (from the PDF sheet posted here earlier this year) is $500/ea for the InRoom/InWall4/InCeiling8/OnWall LCR.

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
post #6300 of 6574 Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Yeah, that is essentially what i want. Just an idea of the pricing. Do you know what page it is on?
MSRP for the OnWall Mini:

1.0 $500
2.0 $1000
3.0 $1500
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page