post #6451 of 6454 Old Today, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Honestly, I thought Atmos would be done precisely as you describe. But the more info Dolby released, the more the dream died...
Even the most expensive Atmos processors on the market don't seem to have anything, but the simplest Atmos rendering communications (just what speakers are plugged in to your system)... you still need to place the speakers within the angle recommendations set by Dolby.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6454 Old Today, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Honestly, I thought Atmos would be done precisely as you describe. But the more info Dolby released, the more the dream died...
Exactly what I am thinking. Rather than analyzing speaker locations to configure the system, they are requiring you to stick speakers in one of 34 very specifically defined locations. That is not a formula achieving wide adoption.
post #6453 of 6454 Old Today, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I also agree with Dan's comments before that separation is key. I happen to have a room where I don't have a lot of space between the seating location and the back wall. I have Rear Surrounds high on the rear wall.

I am not really in a position to add height speakers both behind and front of the seating location simply due to space and the distance between the existing speakers (it would be about 3 feet of space if I did -- and if I lowered my rear surrounds to listener level you would enjoy a speaker 2 feet behind your head). My preference would be to utilize the Rear Surrounds speakers, a pair of "Middle Overhead Speakers", and a pair of "Front Overhead Speakers" to achieve the height channel, assuming the processor would be smart enough to blend the Rear Overhead between the Middle Overhead and Rear Surround.

These are the types of questions that Dolby needs to address.

Last edited by Scott MS; Today at 03:17 PM.
post #6454 of 6454 Old Today, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Well, all 9 of my current speaker locations have been designed/built into columns and really can't be moved....:...

Fortunately, my ceilings are 10-1/2 ft high with ceiling cloud to hide possible ceiling speakers. My front row side surrounds are 2-1/2 ft above ear level with second row surrounds 18 inches above ear level. Both rows of side surround tweeters are 3 ft from ceiling........thus somewhat doable separation from all other surrounds. My problem is......current available products from Triad can't address dispersion issues for my room which is quite large compared to most dedicated rooms at 25-1/2 ft by 17 ft by 10-1/2 ft in ceiling height. I'm definitely going to wait until dust settles on this one..........

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page