post #6481 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
If you want to match your surrounds to your Gold LCR fronts, I recommend going with the IW Gold/4 Omni SE.

See my Triad Speaker matching chart via the link below:

Triad Owner's Thread
Yeah, I've saved your chart for reference.

My only concern is the 2nd row being inches away from the rear surround speakers for any use of direct firing speakers back there.

And could I use the InWall Silver/4 Omni SE or even InWall Silver LCR (like doublewing) instead too for cost saving? Like many use the Gold line for LCR and Silver line for the surround duty?

What's the main difference between the LCR and the Omni SE line?

Thanks for all the effect guys! I'm new to the Triad speakers and surely looking forward to join the family.

~ Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post
Yeah, I've saved your chart for reference.

My only concern is the 2nd row being inches away from the rear surround speakers for any use of direct firing speakers back there.

And could I use the InWall Silver/4 Omni SE or even InWall Silver LCR (like doublewing) instead too for cost saving? Like many use the Gold line for LCR and Silver line for the surround duty?

What's the main difference between the LCR and the Omni SE line?

Thanks for all the effect guys! I'm new to the Triad speakers and surely looking forward to join the family.
Unfortunately, the back row of your theater is very close to the wall and any speaker is going to hotspot like crazy. It's the front row that has the prime seats. Design for those viewers. Design for Atmos and other immersive formats (you won't regret it)... no dipoles. Timbre match if you can. Dawn has you on the right path.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #6483 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Unfortunately, the back row of your theater is very close to the wall and any speaker is going to hotspot like crazy. It's the front row that has the prime seats. Design for those viewers. Design for Atmos and other immersive formats (you won't regret it)... no dipoles. Timbre match if you can. Dawn has you on the right path.
So you recommend me to forgettable the 2nd row viewer and focus on the primary user on the front row? Sounds reasonable option if I really can't accommodate both rows in my case.

Btw, I'm using Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5 amp, are they ok to power those Triads?

~ Gary

)

post #6484 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
So you recommend me to forgettable the 2nd row viewer and focus on the primary user on the front row? Sounds reasonable option if I really can't accommodate both rows in my case.

Yes.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6485 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's all about compromises, unless you have a BIG room to work with for more optimal seating and speaker arrangements and so you can compromise less... and even then there is only one true sweet spot where the soundtrack's "audio bubble" is closest to the mixer's original intent.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 09-29-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #6486 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I'm just plain confused and believe the algorithm for choosing Triad speakers is wrong for most/some applications.

I understand Gold Omni SE being recommended for surrounds with Gold LCR's due to having similar tweeter but the similarities stop there!

Sensitivity relating to dynamics should be considered.........sensitivity on Gold Omni SE is 6-7 db's less in sensitivity than Golds. IMHO, Silver LCR's have been a better match with Gold LCR's in my room than Gold Omni SE's due to fore mention issue. Triad speaker list is not match all for all applications..

Just saying.......

My Build Threads

post #6487 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm.... I'm a bit confused too....

~ Gary

)

post #6488 of 6503 Old 09-29-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm.... I'm a bit confused too....
Erskine Group spec-ed Gold LCR's for front and 6 Silver LCR's for surrounds. I suspect Gold Omni SE's were not part of equation due to huge sensitivity difference.

My Build Threads

post #6489 of 6503 Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If cost is not an object, Triad always recommends using the same series speakers for both LCRs and surrounds. For example, Silver LCRs up front, and Silver LCRs for surrounds. Now those Silver LCRs can be OnWall, InWall, or even InCeiling. The best mix will always be room dependent.

The speaker matching guide is designed to show what speakers sound similar. Again, it's system and room dependent.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #6490 of 6503 Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
If cost is not an object, Triad always recommends using the same series speakers for both LCRs and surrounds. For example, Silver LCRs up front, and Silver LCRs for surrounds. Now those Silver LCRs can be OnWall, InWall, or even InCeiling. The best mix will always be room dependent.

The speaker matching guide is designed to show what speakers sound similar. Again, it's system and room dependent.
I think for a 'typical' HT, using speakers for side and back duty that are 6-7db less sensitive is probably ok since they're generally much closer to the listening position relative to the front LCRs. I seem to recall that when you double the distance, the SPL drops by about 6db. As everyone has said 'it's room dependent'. If you have a huge (wide) room you might need the additional sensitivity of Silver (or GOLD) LCRS but it's probably not the case for many.

It does seem that Triad set up their product lines around 5.1 systems (assuming diffuse surrounds) but never really adapted the lines (in a marketing sense) to larger 7.1+ systems and hence all the confusion.
Dan Hitchman and Dawn Gordon like this.
post #6491 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker placement help

I'm about to do an install of Triad InWall speakers in my new house. I'm looking for some advice on speaker placement. My biggest questions, other than just does this look like it makes sense, are:

1) Does this setup make sense?
2) Is my center speaker too low to the ground or will this be OK?
3) Are the left and right front speakers too close to the side walls in the room?

The speakers I'm using are Triad InWall Silver 6 LCRs for the three front, and Triad InWall Silver Surrounds for the side surrounds.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Speaker placement diagram is in the attached image and shows two different views of the room - head on and top down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Placement - 5.1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	289897  
post #6492 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes5e View Post
I'm about to do an install of Triad InWall speakers in my new house. I'm looking for some advice on speaker placement. My biggest questions, other than just does this look like it makes sense, are:

3) Are the left and right front speakers too close to the side walls in the room?

The speakers I'm using are Triad InWall Silver 6 LCRs for the three front, and Triad InWall Silver Surrounds for the side surrounds.

Speaker placement diagram is in the attached image and shows two different views of the room - head on and top down.
You know what the next question will be: are you going to consider immersive sound formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS-? (whatever they call their format)?

You will then want to switch out the Silver Surrounds for Silver LCR's and move them to where your prime listening spot is and just above ear level, so as no sounds get blocked by peoples' heads (same with the back surrounds). No dipoles allowed in 3D audio.

post #6493 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You know what the next question will be: are you going to consider immersive sound formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS-? (whatever they call their format)?

You will then want to switch out the Silver Surrounds for Silver LCR's and move them to where your prime listening spot is and just above ear level, so as no sounds get blocked by peoples' heads (same with the back surrounds). No dipoles allowed in 3D audio.
I think that will end up being out of my budget. I've been going back and forth on if it's worth it.
post #6494 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think that will end up being out of my budget. I've been going back and forth on if it's worth it.
It depends on the receiver or pre-amp you go with and which speakers you put in or on the ceiling (or at least wire for them). It's absolutely worth it! I heard just about every demo of home Atmos at CEDIA and it recreates the cinema version surprisingly well. It's like you're right in the middle of the action in an immersive environment (if you haven't heard a good Atmos mix at the theater). The minimum configuration recommended is 5.1.4. (5.1 + four overheads).

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; Yesterday at 03:16 PM.
post #6495 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched Transformers 4 last night and OMG! Several scenes would be absolutely stellar if I was able to implement Atmos. The scene late in movie when objects were being sucked up in air was great.........can imagine Atmos would improve that scene BIGTIME!

BTW, having four large deep digging 18" subs at 1/4 space is the ticket!

Overall, movie wasn't a barn-burner, but certainly had moments.......sure tests LF ability of system.

My Build Threads

post #6496 of 6503 Old Today, 07:14 AM

This chart was really helpful!

Quote:
TRIAD SPEAKER MATCHING

Hi everyone,

I've been a Triad dealer for ten years, and have enjoyed it immensely because Triad does what no other speaker manufacturer can. They build speakers to order, paint them to match your décor or wall color, offer gorgeous veneers and gloss finishes, and even custom size or custom engineer a speaker for your specific requirements. Thanks to great design and engineering, Triad speakers have exceptional sound quality. In addition, unlike most mass-market brands, virtually all of Triad's models are manufactured right here in the USA in Portland, Oregon.

The only problem (if you actually consider this a problem) is that Triad has well over 100 different products to choose from -- spanning the very affordable to the ultra-high end. With this many models it can be difficult to figure out which Triad speakers match one another. In other words, how do you know which surround or effects speaker to use with a specific LCR? Or how to choose a subwoofer that would work best in a given system? Like pairing your meal with a compatible wine, it's not always an easy task.

I've spent some time designing a chart that will help you choose a Triad speaker system that is sonically matched. Keep in mind that your room plays a big role in the speakers you choose. For example, as common sense would dictate, don't expect a small Triad Mini speaker to fill a 10,000 cubic foot room. Conversely, Platinum speakers in the master bath is probably overkill. In any case, I'll be updating the chart very soon to include Triad's new Atmos models in the coming weeks and months.

I would like to thank Bruce Franklin (Triad's Director of North American Sales) for giving me the permission and encouragement to go ahead with this project. A special thanks goes to Sales Coordinator Bill Ruark. None of this could have been accomplished without him. The man is a walking Triad Encyclopedia, and he's very, very knowledgeable about audio theory and room acoustics. I've learned a tremendous amount from him and hope to continue to learn more.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me at my email address below. I'll be more than happy to help you select a Triad system based on your specific needs.

Dawn Gordon Luks
Egret Electronics
dawn@egretelectronics.com
post #6497 of 6503 Old Today, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know, is there another forum/thread where it would be better to post these questions?
post #6498 of 6503 Old Today, 07:35 AM

Quote:
It depends on the receiver or pre-amp you go with and which speakers you put in or on the ceiling (or at least wire for them). It's absolutely worth it! I heard just about every demo of home Atmos at CEDIA and it recreates the cinema version surprisingly well. It's like you're right in the middle of the action in an immersive environment (if you haven't heard a good Atmos mix at the theater). The minimum configuration recommended is 5.1.4. (5.1 + four overheads).
Makes sense. I guess since it's not a dedicated home theater and it's a multi-use family room, I'm thinking the most I can get away with (wife allow) is 5.1 or possibly 7.1. If it were strictly up to me and there was no budget, I'd be doing in-room speakers, and a lot of them.
post #6499 of 6503 Old Today, 07:37 AM

So if I were to go 7.1 instead of 5.1 with my current set-up of 3 front LCRs and two surrounds, would I need to replace the side surrounds with direct firing speakers, in addition to buying rear surrounds? Which Triads should be used for rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup?
post #6500 of 6503 Old Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I'll leave alone the question of whether to get direct radiating surrounds, back surrounds, overhead speakers. These depend on your budget, etc. I'm slowly moving in that direction, but am guessing I don't go 'full atoms' until 2016. If you want a good price on two ONwallSilver Surrounds, let me know

BUT

Regarding your center speaker:

1) PLEASE try to keep it vertical. It will sound MUCH better across all seats on the couch. The Silver was designed to be vertical.

2) I would put it above the TV, instead of below, but neither location is ideal. Do you like to lean back when watching TV? I found that putting a flat panel higher than one is supposed to works fine if I am reclined when watching it.... and that might let you place the speaker below the screen, but not so low. Which would be good.

Build Thread:
post #6501 of 6503 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
1) PLEASE try to keep it vertical. It will sound MUCH better across all seats on the couch. The Silver was designed to be vertical.
Do you really think it makes that big of a difference having the center verticle rather than horizontal? Here's a second option... the only reason this wasn't my first choice is because of the increased TV height:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR - all verticle.png
Views:	0
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	291113  
post #6502 of 6503 Old Today, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So if I were to go 7.1 instead of 5.1 with my current set-up of 3 front LCRs and two surrounds, would I need to replace the side surrounds with direct firing speakers, in addition to buying rear surrounds? Which Triads should be used for rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup?
Do you expect to have a more dedicated theater room in the future, or is this it?

post #6503 of 6503 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Do you expect to have a more dedicated theater room in the future, or is this it?
This is it. At least for the next several years.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page