Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #6691 of 6702 Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Jesse,

The first thing I would do is reset the Denon to factory default settings, and start over. Do not use the automated speaker setup. We'll do it manually for now.

0. Set All Speakers to Small.
1. Set the LCR's crossover to 80 or 90 and 90 for the surrounds.
2 Set the LFE Output to LFE and main.
3. Make sure that you have the LCRs and surround's distance to your seating position set correctly.
4. Make sure that the surround speakers are oriented properly. They are designed to go on specific sides of the room and are labelled left and right. Is it possible that you didn't see this when installing?
5. Make sure the sub is in a "node." Good spots for this are generally corners.
6. Check the speaker phasing. Even pro's can get this wrong from time to time.
7. Get some fabric in that room, area rugs, heavy curtains, fabric chairs and couches. Sounds to me like there's not enough absorptive surfaces in the room.
8. You can also raise the channel levels for the surrounds. A lot of folks complain that there's not enough sound coming out of the rears, and often it's the program material, and not the system. Get Spider-Man (2002) and watch Chapter 19 -- you'll see what I mean.

Let us know what happens!

Dawn

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 01-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6702 Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot Dawn, I'll give it a try and report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Hi Jesse,

The first thing I would do is reset the Denon to factory default settings, and start over. Do not use the automated speaker setup. We'll do it manually for now.

0. Set All Speakers to Small.
1. Set the LCR's crossover to 80 or 90 and 90 for the surrounds.
2 Set the LFE Output to LFE and main.
3. Make sure that you have the LCRs and surround's distance to your seating position set correctly.
4. Make sure that the surround speakers are oriented properly. They are designed to go on specific sides of the room and are labelled left and right. Is it possible that you didn't see this when installing?
5. Make sure the sub is in a "node." Good spots for this are generally corners.
6. Check the speaker phasing. Even pro's can get this wrong from time to time.
7. Get some fabric in that room, area rugs, heavy curtains, fabric chairs and couches. Sounds to me like there's not enough absorptive surfaces in the room.

Let us know what happens!

Dawn
post #6693 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I will be joining the Triad community. I will be getting 3 Platinum LCR's for the front and 4 Silver Monitors for side and rear surrounds. Anxiously looking forward to getting this installed.
craig john, MIkeDuke and grtuck like this.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #6694 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I will be joining the Triad community. I will be getting 3 Platinum LCR's for the front and 4 Silver Monitors for side and rear surrounds. Anxiously looking forward to getting this installed.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, good sir, to the club!
post #6695 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, good sir, to the club!
I went to CraigJohn's over the weekend, and except for 3 hours we sat on the Tollway due to an ice storm and some very serious auto accidents (including two deaths), it was a great time. I was sold ofter he put on the first multi-channel DVD (NOT Bluray) of some music. I can't compare to the sound in my room exactly with the Seaton speakers since our rooms are treated very differently. But I heard enough to write the check.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #6696 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 104
(anyone looking for Silver Surrounds, on wall style, current version, please check out my post in the classifieds)

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #6697 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Help with all ceiling 5.1 HT and music system

In my 15 x 19 room I need to go all ceiling (although maybe subwoofer in wall if unobtrusive location). A 60" TV will be centered on one 19' wall with the seating area on the opposite 19' wall. I also want decent quality 2 channel music from the LR ceiling speakers. As a comparison, in my old house I used to run 5 Paradigm SA-35 inwalls and I thought they sounded good for both HT and music.

So, how about IC Silver Mini Monitor for LCR? Will they be markedly superior to the IC Bronze/8 LCR? For HT? For music?

And for surrounds, I've looked at Dawn's chart but no ceilings are listed as surrounds. If I have to use ceilings for surrounds, what do you recommend for the Silver LCR? For the bronze LCR?

Finally, the subwoofer -- if I went in the ceiling, where would it go best -- between the two surrounds so directly over the seating area? Or should I put it in the wall at floor level - my options would be to put it directly under the surround (on the right) or directly under the TV?

The basic setup of the 5 ceiling speakers, without the subwoofer, would like something like this:

L C R

S S

Thanks - sorry if I'm leaving important info out - just let me know. Your help is much appreciated.
post #6698 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
In my 15 x 19 room I need to go all ceiling (although maybe subwoofer in wall if unobtrusive location). A 60" TV will be centered on one 19' wall with the seating area on the opposite 19' wall. I also want decent quality 2 channel music from the LR ceiling speakers. As a comparison, in my old house I used to run 5 Paradigm SA-35 inwalls and I thought they sounded good for both HT and music.

So, how about IC Silver Mini Monitor for LCR? Will they be markedly superior to the IC Bronze/8 LCR? For HT? For music?

And for surrounds, I've looked at Dawn's chart but no ceilings are listed as surrounds. If I have to use ceilings for surrounds, what do you recommend for the Silver LCR? For the bronze LCR?

Finally, the subwoofer -- if I went in the ceiling, where would it go best -- between the two surrounds so directly over the seating area? Or should I put it in the wall at floor level - my options would be to put it directly under the surround (on the right) or directly under the TV?

The basic setup of the 5 ceiling speakers, without the subwoofer, would like something like this:

L C R

S S

Thanks - sorry if I'm leaving important info out - just let me know. Your help is much appreciated.
Any particular reason you have to have all in-ceilings? Otherwise, there will be no Dolby Atmos, or DTS-X, or Auro3D in your future.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #6699 of 6702 Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Any particular reason you have to have all in-ceilings? Otherwise, there will be no Dolby Atmos, or DTS-X, or Auro3D in your future.

In a nutshell -- windows and wife. So, ceilings it is.
post #6700 of 6702 Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Doug,

Yes, you can use in-ceilings for surrounds (I'm updating the chart next month), but as Dan pointed out, if you configure all your speakers as InCeilings you will lose the ability to use Atmos processing. Since that's not a problem for you, then you should be fine using IC Bronze or IC Silver LCRs for your surround channels. Triad doesn't normally make IC Silver LCRs, but they will custom build them for you for an additional charge. Keep in mind that the Silver LCR InCeiling model will be 19" wide, so your ceiling joists need to accommodate this width.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #6701 of 6702 Old Today, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This question is for Paul, but anyone else is welcome to chime in...

Thanks for your advice re surrounds. I found a way to mount my klipsch surrounds that I am happy with. That means I can focus on upgrading main speakers now...

I could use some advice on Bronze or Silver LCR InWall speakers as fronts.

My situation is as follows:
- 15x20 living room, open to kitchen, so really it's one long room 15x40
- front speakers are very modest Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelves (6.5" woofer) and C2 center (2 x 5.25")
- the bookshelves "theoretically" go down to ~60Hz (according to specs) but center doesn't go below 80Hz
- music and effects sound fine but my problem is that I can't hear the dialog unless it is turned way up
- this could be caused by Audyssey calibration or speaker setup, or even a bad center channel, but what I really think is that my small center and other mains are getting lost in this huge room
- this is the primary living area, so aesthetics are very important (high WAF), large towers are not an option
- decent bookshelf speakers or in-wall would be best
- TV is wall mounted above low entertainment console

My question is: would InWall Silvers be an order of magnitude better than what I have now? Or even Bronze?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,
Philip
post #6702 of 6702 Old Today, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This question is for Paul, but anyone else is welcome to chime in...

Thanks for your advice re surrounds. I found a way to mount my klipsch surrounds that I am happy with. That means I can focus on upgrading main speakers now...

I could use some advice on Bronze or Silver LCR InWall speakers as fronts.

My situation is as follows:
- 15x20 living room, open to kitchen, so really it's one long room 15x40
- front speakers are very modest Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelves (6.5" woofer) and C2 center (2 x 5.25")
- the bookshelves "theoretically" go down to ~60Hz (according to specs) but center doesn't go below 80Hz
- music and effects sound fine but my problem is that I can't hear the dialog unless it is turned way up
- this could be caused by Audyssey calibration or speaker setup, or even a bad center channel, but what I really think is that my small center and other mains are getting lost in this huge room
- this is the primary living area, so aesthetics are very important (high WAF), large towers are not an option
- decent bookshelf speakers or in-wall would be best
- TV is wall mounted above low entertainment console

My question is: would InWall Silvers be an order of magnitude better than what I have now? Or even Bronze?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,
Philip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page