Triad Owner's Thread - Page 224 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6691 of 6705 Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Jesse,

The first thing I would do is reset the Denon to factory default settings, and start over. Do not use the automated speaker setup. We'll do it manually for now.

0. Set All Speakers to Small.
1. Set the LCR's crossover to 80 or 90 and 90 for the surrounds.
2 Set the LFE Output to LFE and main.
3. Make sure that you have the LCRs and surround's distance to your seating position set correctly.
4. Make sure that the surround speakers are oriented properly. They are designed to go on specific sides of the room and are labelled left and right. Is it possible that you didn't see this when installing?
5. Make sure the sub is in a "node." Good spots for this are generally corners.
6. Check the speaker phasing. Even pro's can get this wrong from time to time.
7. Get some fabric in that room, area rugs, heavy curtains, fabric chairs and couches. Sounds to me like there's not enough absorptive surfaces in the room.
8. You can also raise the channel levels for the surrounds. A lot of folks complain that there's not enough sound coming out of the rears, and often it's the program material, and not the system. Get Spider-Man (2002) and watch Chapter 19 -- you'll see what I mean.

Let us know what happens!

Dawn

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 01-13-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Dawn Gordon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6692 of 6705 Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Member
 
jes5e's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot Dawn, I'll give it a try and report back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Hi Jesse,

The first thing I would do is reset the Denon to factory default settings, and start over. Do not use the automated speaker setup. We'll do it manually for now.

0. Set All Speakers to Small.
1. Set the LCR's crossover to 80 or 90 and 90 for the surrounds.
2 Set the LFE Output to LFE and main.
3. Make sure that you have the LCRs and surround's distance to your seating position set correctly.
4. Make sure that the surround speakers are oriented properly. They are designed to go on specific sides of the room and are labelled left and right. Is it possible that you didn't see this when installing?
5. Make sure the sub is in a "node." Good spots for this are generally corners.
6. Check the speaker phasing. Even pro's can get this wrong from time to time.
7. Get some fabric in that room, area rugs, heavy curtains, fabric chairs and couches. Sounds to me like there's not enough absorptive surfaces in the room.

Let us know what happens!

Dawn
jes5e is offline  
post #6693 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,679
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I will be joining the Triad community. I will be getting 3 Platinum LCR's for the front and 4 Silver Monitors for side and rear surrounds. Anxiously looking forward to getting this installed.
craig john, MIkeDuke and grtuck like this.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #6694 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,161
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I will be joining the Triad community. I will be getting 3 Platinum LCR's for the front and 4 Silver Monitors for side and rear surrounds. Anxiously looking forward to getting this installed.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, good sir, to the club!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #6695 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,679
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome, good sir, to the club!
I went to CraigJohn's over the weekend, and except for 3 hours we sat on the Tollway due to an ice storm and some very serious auto accidents (including two deaths), it was a great time. I was sold ofter he put on the first multi-channel DVD (NOT Bluray) of some music. I can't compare to the sound in my room exactly with the Seaton speakers since our rooms are treated very differently. But I heard enough to write the check.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
audioguy is online now  
post #6696 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 104
(anyone looking for Silver Surrounds, on wall style, current version, please check out my post in the classifieds)

____________________

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
post #6697 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Member
 
DougF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with all ceiling 5.1 HT and music system

In my 15 x 19 room I need to go all ceiling (although maybe subwoofer in wall if unobtrusive location). A 60" TV will be centered on one 19' wall with the seating area on the opposite 19' wall. I also want decent quality 2 channel music from the LR ceiling speakers. As a comparison, in my old house I used to run 5 Paradigm SA-35 inwalls and I thought they sounded good for both HT and music.

So, how about IC Silver Mini Monitor for LCR? Will they be markedly superior to the IC Bronze/8 LCR? For HT? For music?

And for surrounds, I've looked at Dawn's chart but no ceilings are listed as surrounds. If I have to use ceilings for surrounds, what do you recommend for the Silver LCR? For the bronze LCR?

Finally, the subwoofer -- if I went in the ceiling, where would it go best -- between the two surrounds so directly over the seating area? Or should I put it in the wall at floor level - my options would be to put it directly under the surround (on the right) or directly under the TV?

The basic setup of the 5 ceiling speakers, without the subwoofer, would like something like this:

L C R


S S

Thanks - sorry if I'm leaving important info out - just let me know. Your help is much appreciated.
DougF is offline  
post #6698 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,555
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
In my 15 x 19 room I need to go all ceiling (although maybe subwoofer in wall if unobtrusive location). A 60" TV will be centered on one 19' wall with the seating area on the opposite 19' wall. I also want decent quality 2 channel music from the LR ceiling speakers. As a comparison, in my old house I used to run 5 Paradigm SA-35 inwalls and I thought they sounded good for both HT and music.

So, how about IC Silver Mini Monitor for LCR? Will they be markedly superior to the IC Bronze/8 LCR? For HT? For music?

And for surrounds, I've looked at Dawn's chart but no ceilings are listed as surrounds. If I have to use ceilings for surrounds, what do you recommend for the Silver LCR? For the bronze LCR?

Finally, the subwoofer -- if I went in the ceiling, where would it go best -- between the two surrounds so directly over the seating area? Or should I put it in the wall at floor level - my options would be to put it directly under the surround (on the right) or directly under the TV?

The basic setup of the 5 ceiling speakers, without the subwoofer, would like something like this:

L C R


S S

Thanks - sorry if I'm leaving important info out - just let me know. Your help is much appreciated.
Any particular reason you have to have all in-ceilings? Otherwise, there will be no Dolby Atmos, or DTS-X, or Auro3D in your future.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6699 of 6705 Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Member
 
DougF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Any particular reason you have to have all in-ceilings? Otherwise, there will be no Dolby Atmos, or DTS-X, or Auro3D in your future.

In a nutshell -- windows and wife. So, ceilings it is.
DougF is offline  
post #6700 of 6705 Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Doug,

Yes, you can use in-ceilings for surrounds (I'm updating the chart next month), but as Dan pointed out, if you configure all your speakers as InCeilings you will lose the ability to use Atmos processing. Since that's not a problem for you, then you should be fine using IC Bronze or IC Silver LCRs for your surround channels. Triad doesn't normally make IC Silver LCRs, but they will custom build them for you for an additional charge. Keep in mind that the Silver LCR InCeiling model will be 19" wide, so your ceiling joists need to accommodate this width.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Dawn Gordon is online now  
post #6701 of 6705 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
fred_ugly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This question is for Paul, but anyone else is welcome to chime in...

Thanks for your advice re surrounds. I found a way to mount my klipsch surrounds that I am happy with. That means I can focus on upgrading main speakers now...

I could use some advice on Bronze or Silver LCR InWall speakers as fronts.

My situation is as follows:
- 15x20 living room, open to kitchen, so really it's one long room 15x40
- front speakers are very modest Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelves (6.5" woofer) and C2 center (2 x 5.25")
- the bookshelves "theoretically" go down to ~60Hz (according to specs) but center doesn't go below 80Hz
- music and effects sound fine but my problem is that I can't hear the dialog unless it is turned way up
- this could be caused by Audyssey calibration or speaker setup, or even a bad center channel, but what I really think is that my small center and other mains are getting lost in this huge room
- this is the primary living area, so aesthetics are very important (high WAF), large towers are not an option
- decent bookshelf speakers or in-wall would be best
- TV is wall mounted above low entertainment console

My question is: would InWall Silvers be an order of magnitude better than what I have now? Or even Bronze?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,
Philip
fred_ugly is offline  
post #6702 of 6705 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 9,555
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_ugly View Post
This question is for Paul, but anyone else is welcome to chime in...

Thanks for your advice re surrounds. I found a way to mount my klipsch surrounds that I am happy with. That means I can focus on upgrading main speakers now...

I could use some advice on Bronze or Silver LCR InWall speakers as fronts.

My situation is as follows:
- 15x20 living room, open to kitchen, so really it's one long room 15x40
- front speakers are very modest Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelves (6.5" woofer) and C2 center (2 x 5.25")
- the bookshelves "theoretically" go down to ~60Hz (according to specs) but center doesn't go below 80Hz
- music and effects sound fine but my problem is that I can't hear the dialog unless it is turned way up
- this could be caused by Audyssey calibration or speaker setup, or even a bad center channel, but what I really think is that my small center and other mains are getting lost in this huge room
- this is the primary living area, so aesthetics are very important (high WAF), large towers are not an option
- decent bookshelf speakers or in-wall would be best
- TV is wall mounted above low entertainment console

My question is: would InWall Silvers be an order of magnitude better than what I have now? Or even Bronze?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,
Philip
In-Wall Silver LCR's would be quite a big leap forward and should be considered for a larger room. But then you should also consider upgrading your surrounds to matching Triads as well at some point, so there is a closer timbre match around the room.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6703 of 6705 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
Newbie
 
fred_ugly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
In-Wall Silver LCR's would be quite a big leap forward and should be considered for a larger room.
Thanks Dan! I assumed that would be the case, but thanks for confirming.
fred_ugly is offline  
post #6704 of 6705 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,924
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I will be joining the Triad community. I will be getting 3 Platinum LCR's for the front and 4 Silver Monitors for side and rear surrounds. Anxiously looking forward to getting this installed.
Very nice.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #6705 of 6705 Old Today, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_ugly View Post
This question is for Paul, but anyone else is welcome to chime in...

Thanks for your advice re surrounds. I found a way to mount my klipsch surrounds that I am happy with. That means I can focus on upgrading main speakers now...

I could use some advice on Bronze or Silver LCR InWall speakers as fronts.

My situation is as follows:
- 15x20 living room, open to kitchen, so really it's one long room 15x40
- front speakers are very modest Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelves (6.5" woofer) and C2 center (2 x 5.25")
- the bookshelves "theoretically" go down to ~60Hz (according to specs) but center doesn't go below 80Hz
- music and effects sound fine but my problem is that I can't hear the dialog unless it is turned way up
- this could be caused by Audyssey calibration or speaker setup, or even a bad center channel, but what I really think is that my small center and other mains are getting lost in this huge room
- this is the primary living area, so aesthetics are very important (high WAF), large towers are not an option
- decent bookshelf speakers or in-wall would be best
- TV is wall mounted above low entertainment console

My question is: would InWall Silvers be an order of magnitude better than what I have now? Or even Bronze?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks,
Philip
Like Dan says, Triads would a big improvement, especially Silver LCRs for that size room.

I'm not a huge fan of auto calibration. So, the first thing I would do is delete all the auto settings and start from scratch -- but go the manual route. You can also feel free to raise the center channel level if room acoustics and/or speaker placement are causing center dialog issues.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Dawn Gordon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off