Triad Owner's Thread - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #6841 of 6868 Old 02-24-2015, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New triad owner here with a small (at least i hope it is) problem. I have a 5.1 setup with an inwall sub. Had it professionally installed by a local triad dealer that has since closed up shop presumably due in part to a large sum being owed to the IRS. We his customers from the last year got a letter direct from the feds stating so and looking to collect any unpaid funds. Anyway, I'm unsure at this point if I can get any real product support from this person at this time. That said on to my little problem. I'm thrilled with all my speakers except for the in wall sub which rattles on every deep bass. I go over to the unit and it sounds to me like its just the grill rattling and looks like it may have been bent on initial installation.

So my question to all you highly knowledgeable triad folks, how is the safest way to remove this grill to verify that it is in fact the grill at fault for the horrid rattle? Is it reasonable to hope that removing and replacing the grill might fix the issue?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6868 Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You can use the end of a small paperclip or screwdriver to gently pull the grill out along the edge. Pry up each corner and remove the grill. Then remove the 4 screws holding the grill assembly in place.

As far as the rattle goes, It could be the locking tabs that hold the sub in the wall. Make sure all the tabs are screwed in tightly, and that the grill assembly screws are tight was well.

If it does turn out to be the bent grill assembly that's at fault, it's easy enough to order another one from Triad.

If I can be of help, let me know.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph, Oppo and Control4.
post #6843 of 6868 Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For anyone that may be interested I ran across a recent article written by our friend Paul Scarpelli over at Audioholics ...
http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...aker-placement

~ Mike
post #6844 of 6868 Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 PM

Great article. All good points -- especially the center channel items.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph, Oppo and Control4.
post #6845 of 6868 Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
For anyone that may be interested I ran across a recent article written by our friend Paul Scarpelli over at Audioholics ...
http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...aker-placement

~ Mike
Now the mystery of his disappearance from AVS makes more sense!

Good to see he is still in the game.

Since audioholics' partner webcast, AVRant, likes to call the center channel the LEAST important speaker in a home theater, it was refreshing to see a more accurate perspective on audioholics. For a single listener in the sweet spot, one can survive with a phantom center. But a center that matches the L and R is an astonishingly good way to make sure imaging works for multiple listeners, regardless of whether they are in the sweet spot.

And I loved the reminder (never thought of it that way) that the compromise of putting speakers behind a good AT screen is EXTREMELY MINOR compared with even moderately compromised placement.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
though the Triad On Wall Silver Surrounds are listed for sale, and will be replaced by direct radiating speakers.
post #6846 of 6868 Old 02-25-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Paul has had some account issues on avs. Nothing to do with Audioholics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6847 of 6868 Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Paul has had some account issues on avs. Nothing to do with Audioholics.
Only takes 30 seconds to open a new account on AVS.

though the Triad On Wall Silver Surrounds are listed for sale, and will be replaced by direct radiating speakers.
post #6848 of 6868 Old 02-25-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Only takes 30 seconds to open a new account on AVS.
Opening up multiple accounts on AVS is a quick way to get a life time ban.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6849 of 6868 Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Opening up multiple accounts on AVS is a quick way to get a life time ban.
I'm not suggesting he open multiple accounts. If his old account is still accessible/valid, of course he should use it. What I understood from the posts is that he no longer has access to it, implicitly because he lost access to his old email account. So he effectively doesn't have an account any longer, and it would be cool if he could get one and participate again.

post #6850 of 6868 Old 02-25-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anybody have any direct experience with either of the FlexSubs - the Silver or the Mini? If so, can you describe the setup you hear them in - room size, placement - and give me an idea of how you liked them and you would compare them to an in-room sub or an in-wall? I'm looking at using Bronze 4 SlimSub (either one or two) but am getting some pushback from the powers that be on the size of the grills - and she much prefers the smaller "heating vent" style of the FlexSub grill.

Thanks
post #6851 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

The FlexSubs are really nice. Triad found a great way to make their subs disappear even more. The sound is the same as you would get from the standard subs.

You would want to use the Silver Flex sub for your room.

post #6852 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
The FlexSubs are really nice. Triad found a great way to make their subs disappear even more. The sound is the same as you would get from the standard subs.

You would want to use the Silver Flex sub for your room.
Thanks Dawn. Would you recommend a single Silver Flex over two Bronze slim subs?
post #6853 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I'm not suggesting he open multiple accounts. If his old account is still accessible/valid, of course he should use it. What I understood from the posts is that he no longer has access to it, implicitly because he lost access to his old email account. So he effectively doesn't have an account any longer, and it would be cool if he could get one and participate again.
I don't know the whole story on this, but if this really is just a technical issue of Paul not being able to update his account due to a changed e-mail address and the admins on AVS have not helped (i.e., either change his account for him or delete the old account so he can create another) as was mentioned in another post....this is pretty ridiculous to deprive all of us from Paul's helpful expertise. Isn't that what AVS is all about? Helpful sharing and peer help to enjoy AV and home theater? We need Triad Dude back in the fold.
jjcook, grtuck and jlcichocki like this.
post #6854 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Thanks Dawn. Would you recommend a single Silver Flex over two Bronze slim subs?
Doug,

It depends on the room. In your case, with a room size of 15'6" x 19'6" x 8'6, I think dual Bronze Slim Subs installed in opposing corners could work well. If you can't do opposing corners, then I would consider a single Silver Flex sub in one corner.

post #6855 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
I don't know the whole story on this, but if this really is just a technical issue of Paul not being able to update his account due to a changed e-mail address and the admins on AVS have not helped (i.e., either change his account for him or delete the old account so he can create another) as was mentioned in another post....this is pretty ridiculous to deprive all of us from Paul's helpful expertise. Isn't that what AVS is all about? Helpful sharing and peer help to enjoy AV and home theater? We need Triad Dude back in the fold.
Let me look into this.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6856 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Doug,

It depends on the room. In your case, with a room size of 15'6" x 19'6" x 8'6, I think dual Bronze Slim Subs installed in opposing corners could work well. If you can't do opposing corners, then I would consider a single Silver Flex sub in one corner.

Dawn - as always, thanks for your help. Do you know MSRP on the Silver Flex and the Mini Flex?
post #6857 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

It is always better to have two subs rather than one (seat to seat room smoothing), unless you have only a single seat in your theater.

post #6858 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post
AVS got him all set up last year. From my understanding the problem is not on AVS's side. Paul just needs to contact AVS using the contact us button at the bottom of any page.

post #6859 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Dawn - as always, thanks for your help. Do you know MSRP on the Silver Flex and the Mini Flex?
Email sent

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; Yesterday at 02:25 PM.
post #6860 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Consider me a huge Triad fan. Finally got my 3 Platinum LCR's and 4 In-Room Silver monitors up and running.

If I were to write a formal review, it would consist of one word repeated about 1000 times! --- WOW!!!!

Dynamic; neutral; can play REALLY loud without strain or ear fatigue; coherent; revealing/unforgiving.

As i told someone else, something that surprised me was the envelopment seemed superior with the Triads to my last speakers and I'm not sure why. Given my last speakers all have the same midrange/tweeter, I can't grasp why there would have been any difference. But I'll take it.

If you have the space and care to spend your money on audio equipment, you wont be dissappointed in these speakers (unless you count a strained back getting these things out of their crates)
craig john and grtuck like this.

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
post #6861 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Consider me a huge Triad fan. Finally got my 3 Platinum LCR's and 4 In-Room Silver monitors up and running.

If I were to write a formal review, it would consist of one word repeated about 1000 times! --- WOW!!!!

Dynamic; neutral; can play REALLY loud without strain or ear fatigue; coherent; revealing/unforgiving.

As i told someone else, something that surprised me was the envelopment seemed superior with the Triads to my last speakers and I'm not sure why. Given my last speakers all have the same midrange/tweeter, I can't grasp why there would have been any difference. But I'll take it.

If you have the space and care to spend your money on audio equipment, you wont be dissappointed in these speakers (unless you count a strained back getting these things out of their crates)
Your current speakers all have the same midrange and tweeter as well, if you cut off the top and bottom bass drivers on the platinum, you are left with a Silver Monitor. It just plays that much louder than the silver monitor because of those extra drivers. I have the same setup currently, it is quite awesome. And yes, getting the speakers out of the crates is a PITA.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #6862 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Hi Chuck,

next time I am in Atlanta, can I stop by to listen to your new traids? Maybe I shouldn't because last time you gave me a demo, I ended up buying a set of your last speaker.
post #6863 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony4k View Post
Hi Chuck,

next time I am in Atlanta, can I stop by to listen to your new traids? Maybe I shouldn't because last time you gave me a demo, I ended up buying a set of your last speaker.
You are more than welcome but im a bit east of Atlanta!

New Theater

post #6864 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
You are more than welcome but im a bit east of Atlanta!
That's good for me. I'll be coming from the east coast
post #6865 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Welp...you Triad folks at least got me making mockups of Triad speakers in Sketchup to see how they would fit in the room I'm planning. It really is amazing all the options that exist, and the willingness of Triad to even do customs! As it is, the plan right now is with the Bronze package: InRoom Bronze LCR (behind screen in baffle wall), InWall Bronze LCRs for side surrounds, and InCeiling Bronze/8 Satellites for the Atmos in a 5.1.4 set up. QoA and/or AVS Mike, I'll be in touch.

Two questions:
  • Any issues using the InRoom LCRs behind a screen in a baffle wall? If not, is there a better approach?
  • If I can squeeze the budget, I wouldn't be opposed to stepping these up to the Silvers. Any issues there mixing up the Silver/Bronze? Looking through this thread I see it's been done in other setups. If I do this, though, the rest of the surrounds/Atmos will most likely have to stay Bronze if only due to size constraints.

My room is 14'W x 23'L x 7.5'H (soffit will be 6.8'). I'm still figuring out pre/pro and amp vs. AVR, and what I want to do there. If anything I'd save the budget there and just run an Atmos, DTS-X enabled AVR until I can step up. I am at least a year out.

And since everyone like pics, here's the SketchUp plan and current status (yes, it's a rip off of the Rawlinsway theater).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150223_7651_sm.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	571337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columns & Soffit 32 - Lower the chair rail.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	522.0 KB
ID:	571345  
post #6866 of 6868 Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post
Your current speakers all have the same midrange and tweeter as well, if you cut off the top and bottom bass drivers on the platinum, you are left with a Silver Monitor. It just plays that much louder than the silver monitor because of those extra drivers. I have the same setup currently, it is quite awesome. And yes, getting the speakers out of the crates is a PITA.
I knew the mid/tweet matched which is why i paired them. They are AWESOME!!

New Theater

post #6867 of 6868 Old Today, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Welp...you Triad folks at least got me making mockups of Triad speakers in Sketchup to see how they would fit in the room I'm planning. It really is amazing all the options that exist, and the willingness of Triad to even do customs! As it is, the plan right now is with the Bronze package: InRoom Bronze LCR (behind screen in baffle wall), InWall Bronze LCRs for side surrounds, and InCeiling Bronze/8 Satellites for the Atmos in a 5.1.4 set up. QoA and/or AVS Mike, I'll be in touch.

Two questions:
  • Any issues using the InRoom LCRs behind a screen in a baffle wall? If not, is there a better approach?
  • If I can squeeze the budget, I wouldn't be opposed to stepping these up to the Silvers. Any issues there mixing up the Silver/Bronze? Looking through this thread I see it's been done in other setups. If I do this, though, the rest of the surrounds/Atmos will most likely have to stay Bronze if only due to size constraints.

My room is 14'W x 23'L x 7.5'H (soffit will be 6.8'). I'm still figuring out pre/pro and amp vs. AVR, and what I want to do there. If anything I'd save the budget there and just run an Atmos, DTS-X enabled AVR until I can step up. I am at least a year out.

And since everyone like pics, here's the SketchUp plan and current status (yes, it's a rip off of the Rawlinsway theater).

No problem with the baffle wall, but for your size room I would highly suggest going with Silver LCRs rather than the Bronze series. We generally spec Bronze for smaller venues such as bedrooms and very small theaters.

As far as speaker matching goes, I do recommend matching all surrounds with the front LCRs. Also, because your theater is narrow, you might wish to consider Triad bipole surrounds, which are custom adaptations of Triad's current surround speakers. Call me for more info on this. 561-745-6186.

post #6868 of 6868 Old Today, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
No problem with the baffle wall, but for your size room I would highly suggest going with Silver LCRs rather than the Bronze series. We generally spec Bronze for smaller venues such as bedrooms and very small theaters.

As far as speaker matching goes, I do recommend matching all surrounds with the front LCRs. Also, because your theater is narrow, you might wish to consider Triad bipole surrounds, which are custom adaptations of Triad's current surround speakers. Call me for more info on this. 561-745-6186.
So, you're saying that Triad has bipole versions of their Surrounds now?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad