Triad Owner's Thread - Page 230 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 228  229  230
Speakers > Triad Owner's Thread
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 01:52 PM Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Welp...you Triad folks at least got me making mockups of Triad speakers in Sketchup to see how they would fit in the room I'm planning. It really is amazing all the options that exist, and the willingness of Triad to even do customs! As it is, the plan right now is with the Bronze package: InRoom Bronze LCR (behind screen in baffle wall), InWall Bronze LCRs for side surrounds, and InCeiling Bronze/8 Satellites for the Atmos in a 5.1.4 set up. QoA and/or AVS Mike, I'll be in touch.

Two questions:
  • Any issues using the InRoom LCRs behind a screen in a baffle wall? If not, is there a better approach?
  • If I can squeeze the budget, I wouldn't be opposed to stepping these up to the Silvers. Any issues there mixing up the Silver/Bronze? Looking through this thread I see it's been done in other setups. If I do this, though, the rest of the surrounds/Atmos will most likely have to stay Bronze if only due to size constraints.

My room is 14'W x 23'L x 7.5'H (soffit will be 6.8'). I'm still figuring out pre/pro and amp vs. AVR, and what I want to do there. If anything I'd save the budget there and just run an Atmos, DTS-X enabled AVR until I can step up. I am at least a year out.

And since everyone like pics, here's the SketchUp plan and current status (yes, it's a rip off of the Rawlinsway theater).



Be happy to help. Do you have a build thread? Would be better for me to ask questions there, rather than here. The existing soffit, are you moving the duct work and piping, closer to the side wall? If not the soffit is going to be a lot bigger than shown in the rendering. Also wanted to add, nice size space you have to work with. Wished I had that kind of space.

Are you going with a flat baffle wall or toe-in the ends for the left and right mains? I like a baffle wall build. That is what I have in my room, using a DIY active speaker, much like the CR LCR2's.

Dawn Gordon's Avatar Dawn Gordon 02:09 PM Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
So, you're saying that Triad has bipole versions of their Surrounds now?
Hi Dan,

Yes they do. But they are custom versions so there will be an extra fee for the Bipoles.


JJ,

I'm not sure about converting existing surrounds. I have a call in to Triad to find out. More info later today on this.
Dawn Gordon's Avatar Dawn Gordon 03:12 PM Yesterday
JJ,

Yes they will convert existing surrounds to Bipoles. Call me for more details. 561-745-6186.
JohnstownFlood's Avatar JohnstownFlood 06:38 PM Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Be happy to help. Do you have a build thread? Would be better for me to ask questions there, rather than here. The existing soffit, are you moving the duct work and piping, closer to the side wall? If not the soffit is going to be a lot bigger than shown in the rendering. Also wanted to add, nice size space you have to work with. Wished I had that kind of space.

Are you going with a flat baffle wall or toe-in the ends for the left and right mains? I like a baffle wall build. That is what I have in my room, using a DIY active speaker, much like the CR LCR2's.
Thanks Mike!

I do have a build thread going, and I just added it to my signature. In case that isn't working it is here.

Getting the soffit symmetrical from the MLP is my primary aesthetic goal. Just today I had HVAC over and wasn't laughed at when I proposed my plan of moving the return to the right side of the theatre. This would shrink the left soffit, and grow the right...so that's progress. You'll see what I'm proposing in my build thread, and don't want to get off topic here!

Getting back to Triad: My biggest limiting factor for surround speakers is depth. Inside of the left side columns are my main beam support poles. Anything greater than a 4" depth, and the columns would be getting a little too large for my liking to house them. So with that, yes I could step up to the Silver LCR/4s in the columns and still be able to toe them into the MLP at about the 100 degree position and the tweeter 45" off of the floor.
JohnstownFlood's Avatar JohnstownFlood 06:45 PM Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
No problem with the baffle wall, but for your size room I would highly suggest going with Silver LCRs rather than the Bronze series. We generally spec Bronze for smaller venues such as bedrooms and very small theaters.

As far as speaker matching goes, I do recommend matching all surrounds with the front LCRs. Also, because your theater is narrow, you might wish to consider Triad bipole surrounds, which are custom adaptations of Triad's current surround speakers. Call me for more info on this. 561-745-6186.
Hi Dawn, thank you for the reply! Since you brought up using bipoles for the surrounds, I thought that with an Atmos theatre the recommendation is for monopoles in all positions? I read through this and the Atmos threads as much as I could and that seemed to be the consensus, no? Regardless, the Triad surrounds are just a little too wide for my desired in-column placing. That's why I was excited to find the in-wall LCRs are not only tall and thin but are monopole for Atmos. Then again, though, I'm learning about all this as I go...I am open to critique and recommendations.

Thanks again!
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 06:52 PM Yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Hi Dawn, thank you for the reply! Since you brought up using bipoles for the surrounds, I thought that with an Atmos theatre the recommendation is for monopoles in all positions? I read through this and the Atmos threads as much as I could and that seemed to be the consensus, no? Regardless, the Triad surrounds are just a little too wide for my desired in-column placing. That's why I was excited to find the in-wall LCRs are not only tall and thin but are monopole for Atmos. Then again, though, I'm learning about all this as I go...I am open to critique and recommendations.

Thanks again!
Correct, with an Atmos system you want to use monopoles all around. You are going to love Atmos. After listening to Atmos at CEDIA, there was no question that I was going to convert my room over and did.
Dawn Gordon's Avatar Dawn Gordon 05:00 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Hi Dawn, thank you for the reply! Since you brought up using bipoles for the surrounds, I thought that with an Atmos theatre the recommendation is for monopoles in all positions? I read through this and the Atmos threads as much as I could and that seemed to be the consensus, no? Regardless, the Triad surrounds are just a little too wide for my desired in-column placing. That's why I was excited to find the in-wall LCRs are not only tall and thin but are monopole for Atmos. Then again, though, I'm learning about all this as I go...I am open to critique and recommendations.

Thanks again!
Over the past week I've had discussions with two Triad speaker designers regarding Atmos, and how Triad is customizing their speakers to work properly with this new system.

In a nutshell:

Atmos is an entirely new system and it throws out many of the tried and true surround principles we've been working with over the years.

For example, now we have two listening layers to be aware of: listener level and height level. Listener level speakers include the LCRs, surrounds, and the subs. Height level speakers are the ones above your head. So, in order to preserve the separation between the two levels, surrounds need to be placed lower on the wall -- with tweeters very close to ear level. In larger theaters, monopoles should be used, but when you have a narrow space, and you have seating only a couple of feet from the side walls, bipoles are preferred. That's why Triad is making them available as an option.
hendry98's Avatar hendry98 07:03 AM Today
Since I will have Atmos setup in my HT, I have ordered 4 InCeiling Bronze LCR for height speakers.

Now, I see the instruction for installing InCeiling speaker, but I still not sure if it will fit properly or I am missing something here

look at the picture below.

I see 4 retrobrackets "retracted", which i should slide them behind the ceiling drywall after inserting the enclosure.

it does not seem to be tightened enough against the drywall. or is there something else to be done as well?!
Attached: triadbronze.jpg (43.1 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:13 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post
Since I will have Atmos setup in my HT, I have ordered 4 InCeiling Bronze LCR for height speakers.

Now, I see the instruction for installing InCeiling speaker, but I still not sure if it will fit properly or I am missing something here

look at the picture below.

I see 4 retrobrackets "retracted", which i should slide them behind the ceiling drywall after inserting the enclosure.

it does not seem to be tightened enough against the drywall. or is there something else to be done as well?!
When you insert speaker/backer box in cavity, those sliding toggles will work when you attach grill which you screw into speaker box. Will pinch/squeeze grill and box together. Slick attachment system.
hendry98's Avatar hendry98 08:37 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
When you insert speaker/backer box in cavity, those sliding toggles will work when you attach grill which you screw into speaker box. Will pinch/squeeze grill and box together. Slick attachment system.
ahh so the frame box will help to tighten things then.

i did not look at the frame/grill as i was planning to install the speakers without their grills, but i guess i need at least their frames to tighten the speaker box.

Thanks now it makes sense to me.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:48 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post
ahh so the frame box will help to tighten things then.

i did not look at the frame/grill as i was planning to install the speakers without their grills, but i guess i need at least their frames to tighten the speaker box.

Thanks now it makes sense to me.
Glad to help...............................


What would really make sense............................if Triad manufactured a wide dispersion in ceiling or on ceiling speaker truly built for ATMOS!!!!!!!

Custom Silver LCR or in ceiling Bronze just doesn't cut it.........................


I hope Triad is listening!!!
Tags: Triad
First ... 228  229  230

Up
Mobile  Desktop