post #6871 of 6898 Old 02-27-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
Welp...you Triad folks at least got me making mockups of Triad speakers in Sketchup to see how they would fit in the room I'm planning. It really is amazing all the options that exist, and the willingness of Triad to even do customs! As it is, the plan right now is with the Bronze package: InRoom Bronze LCR (behind screen in baffle wall), InWall Bronze LCRs for side surrounds, and InCeiling Bronze/8 Satellites for the Atmos in a 5.1.4 set up. QoA and/or AVS Mike, I'll be in touch.

Two questions:
  • Any issues using the InRoom LCRs behind a screen in a baffle wall? If not, is there a better approach?
  • If I can squeeze the budget, I wouldn't be opposed to stepping these up to the Silvers. Any issues there mixing up the Silver/Bronze? Looking through this thread I see it's been done in other setups. If I do this, though, the rest of the surrounds/Atmos will most likely have to stay Bronze if only due to size constraints.

My room is 14'W x 23'L x 7.5'H (soffit will be 6.8'). I'm still figuring out pre/pro and amp vs. AVR, and what I want to do there. If anything I'd save the budget there and just run an Atmos, DTS-X enabled AVR until I can step up. I am at least a year out.

And since everyone like pics, here's the SketchUp plan and current status (yes, it's a rip off of the Rawlinsway theater).

Be happy to help. Do you have a build thread? Would be better for me to ask questions there, rather than here. The existing soffit, are you moving the duct work and piping, closer to the side wall? If not the soffit is going to be a lot bigger than shown in the rendering. Also wanted to add, nice size space you have to work with. Wished I had that kind of space.

Are you going with a flat baffle wall or toe-in the ends for the left and right mains? I like a baffle wall build. That is what I have in my room, using a DIY active speaker, much like the CR LCR2's.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 02-27-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6898 Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
So, you're saying that Triad has bipole versions of their Surrounds now?
Hi Dan,

Yes they do. But they are custom versions so there will be an extra fee for the Bipoles.

JJ,

I'm not sure about converting existing surrounds. I have a call in to Triad to find out. More info later today on this.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph, Oppo and Control4.
post #6873 of 6898 Old 02-27-2015, 03:12 PM

JJ,

Yes they will convert existing surrounds to Bipoles. Call me for more details. 561-745-6186.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph, Oppo and Control4.
post #6874 of 6898 Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Be happy to help. Do you have a build thread? Would be better for me to ask questions there, rather than here. The existing soffit, are you moving the duct work and piping, closer to the side wall? If not the soffit is going to be a lot bigger than shown in the rendering. Also wanted to add, nice size space you have to work with. Wished I had that kind of space.

Are you going with a flat baffle wall or toe-in the ends for the left and right mains? I like a baffle wall build. That is what I have in my room, using a DIY active speaker, much like the CR LCR2's.
Thanks Mike!

I do have a build thread going, and I just added it to my signature. In case that isn't working it is here.

Getting the soffit symmetrical from the MLP is my primary aesthetic goal. Just today I had HVAC over and wasn't laughed at when I proposed my plan of moving the return to the right side of the theatre. This would shrink the left soffit, and grow the right...so that's progress. You'll see what I'm proposing in my build thread, and don't want to get off topic here!

Getting back to Triad: My biggest limiting factor for surround speakers is depth. Inside of the left side columns are my main beam support poles. Anything greater than a 4" depth, and the columns would be getting a little too large for my liking to house them. So with that, yes I could step up to the Silver LCR/4s in the columns and still be able to toe them into the MLP at about the 100 degree position and the tweeter 45" off of the floor.
post #6875 of 6898 Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
No problem with the baffle wall, but for your size room I would highly suggest going with Silver LCRs rather than the Bronze series. We generally spec Bronze for smaller venues such as bedrooms and very small theaters.

As far as speaker matching goes, I do recommend matching all surrounds with the front LCRs. Also, because your theater is narrow, you might wish to consider Triad bipole surrounds, which are custom adaptations of Triad's current surround speakers. Call me for more info on this. 561-745-6186.
Hi Dawn, thank you for the reply! Since you brought up using bipoles for the surrounds, I thought that with an Atmos theatre the recommendation is for monopoles in all positions? I read through this and the Atmos threads as much as I could and that seemed to be the consensus, no? Regardless, the Triad surrounds are just a little too wide for my desired in-column placing. That's why I was excited to find the in-wall LCRs are not only tall and thin but are monopole for Atmos. Then again, though, I'm learning about all this as I go...I am open to critique and recommendations.

Thanks again!
post #6876 of 6898 Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Hi Dawn, thank you for the reply! Since you brought up using bipoles for the surrounds, I thought that with an Atmos theatre the recommendation is for monopoles in all positions? I read through this and the Atmos threads as much as I could and that seemed to be the consensus, no? Regardless, the Triad surrounds are just a little too wide for my desired in-column placing. That's why I was excited to find the in-wall LCRs are not only tall and thin but are monopole for Atmos. Then again, though, I'm learning about all this as I go...I am open to critique and recommendations.

Thanks again!
Correct, with an Atmos system you want to use monopoles all around. You are going to love Atmos. After listening to Atmos at CEDIA, there was no question that I was going to convert my room over and did.
JohnstownFlood likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6877 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks again!
Over the past week I've had discussions with two Triad speaker designers regarding Atmos, and how Triad is customizing their speakers to work properly with this new system.

In a nutshell:

Atmos is an entirely new system and it throws out many of the tried and true surround principles we've been working with over the years.

For example, now we have two listening layers to be aware of: listener level and height level. Listener level speakers include the LCRs, surrounds, and the subs. Height level speakers are the ones above your head. So, in order to preserve the separation between the two levels, surrounds need to be placed lower on the wall -- with tweeters very close to ear level. In larger theaters, monopoles should be used, but when you have a narrow space, and you have seating only a couple of feet from the side walls, bipoles are preferred. That's why Triad is making them available as an option.

post #6878 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 3
InCeiling Bronze Installation

Since I will have Atmos setup in my HT, I have ordered 4 InCeiling Bronze LCR for height speakers.

Now, I see the instruction for installing InCeiling speaker, but I still not sure if it will fit properly or I am missing something here

look at the picture below.

I see 4 retrobrackets "retracted", which i should slide them behind the ceiling drywall after inserting the enclosure.

it does not seem to be tightened enough against the drywall. or is there something else to be done as well?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triadbronze.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	574417  
post #6879 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post
Since I will have Atmos setup in my HT, I have ordered 4 InCeiling Bronze LCR for height speakers.

Now, I see the instruction for installing InCeiling speaker, but I still not sure if it will fit properly or I am missing something here

look at the picture below.

I see 4 retrobrackets "retracted", which i should slide them behind the ceiling drywall after inserting the enclosure.

it does not seem to be tightened enough against the drywall. or is there something else to be done as well?!
When you insert speaker/backer box in cavity, those sliding toggles will work when you attach grill which you screw into speaker box. Will pinch/squeeze grill and box together. Slick attachment system.
hendry98 likes this.
post #6880 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
When you insert speaker/backer box in cavity, those sliding toggles will work when you attach grill which you screw into speaker box. Will pinch/squeeze grill and box together. Slick attachment system.
ahh so the frame box will help to tighten things then.

i did not look at the frame/grill as i was planning to install the speakers without their grills, but i guess i need at least their frames to tighten the speaker box.

Thanks now it makes sense to me.
post #6881 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ahh so the frame box will help to tighten things then.

i did not look at the frame/grill as i was planning to install the speakers without their grills, but i guess i need at least their frames to tighten the speaker box.

Thanks now it makes sense to me.
Glad to help...............................

What would really make sense............................if Triad manufactured a wide dispersion in ceiling or on ceiling speaker truly built for ATMOS!!!!!!!

Custom Silver LCR or in ceiling Bronze just doesn't cut it.........................

I hope Triad is listening!!!
Dan Hitchman and grtuck like this.
post #6882 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Glad to help...............................

What would really make sense............................if Triad manufactured a wide dispersion in ceiling or on ceiling speaker truly built for ATMOS!!!!!!!

Custom Silver LCR or in ceiling Bronze just doesn't cut it.........................

I hope Triad is listening!!!
Well I bought those Triad InCeiling Bronze LCR for Atmos height speakers as per Triad recommendation, and below is the full email I have received from them when I asked for recommended ceiling speakers:

"Atmos ceiling speaker selection should be based on achieving the correct performance at the listening position. Max volume capability for ceiling Height speakers should be within 3dB of the main LCRs at the listening position. Combined with the proximity effect of their typically shorter throw distances, you can use speakers with 6dB less max output than your mains. The details are in the Power Point which I sent you. To provide good angular coverage over the prioritized listening area, you can use Angled baffle speakers. These are good for 1 row , 2 rows when one is prioritized, and 3 or more rows. Flat baffle speakers like our InWalls can be used when the prioritized listening area is narrow as in the case of a single row. . I would use our angled baffle InCeiling Bronze/8 speakers for front & rear Heights. The Ceiling speaker calculator helps determine fore & aft placement . I would match the 9 feet of separation left to right between them to equal your LCRs; this would be appropriate for your two 3 seat rows."

I will hopefully have my HT completed in couple of weeks time, so will let you know how they will sound
post #6883 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Opening up multiple accounts on AVS is a quick way to get a life time ban.

Thank you. I was too lazy to explain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6884 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I bought those Triad InCeiling Bronze LCR for Atmos height speakers as per Triad recommendation, and below is the full email I have received from them when I asked for recommended ceiling speakers:

"Atmos ceiling speaker selection should be based on achieving the correct performance at the listening position. Max volume capability for ceiling Height speakers should be within 3dB of the main LCRs at the listening position. Combined with the proximity effect of their typically shorter throw distances, you can use speakers with 6dB less max output than your mains. The details are in the Power Point which I sent you. To provide good angular coverage over the prioritized listening area, you can use Angled baffle speakers. These are good for 1 row , 2 rows when one is prioritized, and 3 or more rows. Flat baffle speakers like our InWalls can be used when the prioritized listening area is narrow as in the case of a single row. . I would use our angled baffle InCeiling Bronze/8 speakers for front & rear Heights. The Ceiling speaker calculator helps determine fore & aft placement . I would match the 9 feet of separation left to right between them to equal your LCRs; this would be appropriate for your two 3 seat rows."

I will hopefully have my HT completed in couple of weeks time, so will let you know how they will sound
Sorry............my comments were not directed at your purchase..............didn't realized you had already purchased in-ceiling Bronze LCR's.

I fully support Triad not because they are an Oregon company, but because they manufacture great products. I am hopeful Triad will hear calls from the weeds and develop an uncompromised Atmos ceiling product which has off axis ability to cover multiple row seats. IMHO, current LCR products whether in-ceiling or on ceiling are not capable of doing so............cited email indicates prioritizing seating with regard to on axis behavior of stated speaker. I'm not willing to sacrifice one seat due to off axis issues related to speaker. May take time, but I'm hopefully a wide dispersion speaker is in the making...............if not, then I might have to find another product which meets my specific needs.

Looking forward to reading how your room works out............................
post #6885 of 6898 Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry............my comments were not directed at your purchase..............didn't realized you had already purchased in-ceiling Bronze LCR's.

I fully support Triad not because they are an Oregon company, but because they manufacture great products. I am hopeful Triad will hear calls from the weeds and develop an uncompromised Atmos ceiling product which has off axis ability to cover multiple row seats. IMHO, current LCR products whether in-ceiling or on ceiling are not capable of doing so............cited email indicates prioritizing seating with regard to on axis behavior of stated speaker. I'm not willing to sacrifice one seat due to off axis issues related to speaker. May take time, but I'm hopefully a wide dispersion speaker is in the making...............if not, then I might have to find another product which meets my specific needs.

Looking forward to reading how your room works out............................
No problem, i know you were not addressing my specific case

Further to their email, please note that my priorities are over the first row and my sweet spot, and with their angled baffle ceiling speaker, hopefully it can provide me with a decent sound and meet my requirements.

And i agree with you that everyone has his own priorities, and what works for you might not work for me and vice versa.
post #6886 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone own or have heard the CINEMA REFERENCE speakers? Any opinions in relation to the Platinum speakers (other than price)? Thx

Jeff
post #6887 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Consider me very interested in hearing how the InCeiling LCRs work for you!

Again, going through as much as this thread as I could, I didn't see the InCeiling Rounds mentioned for Atmos. Is there a reason why? Are they not the wider dispersion that is needed? For my case, with primary seating being only one row of three, I'm thinking that the InCeiling LCRs would be best...but just curious on the Rounds.

Thanks!

Last edited by JohnstownFlood; Yesterday at 01:57 PM.
post #6888 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, going through as much as this thread as I could, I didn't see the InCeiling Rounds mentioned for Atmos. Is there a reason why? Are they not the wider dispersion that is needed? For my case, with primary seating being only one row of three, I'm thinking that the InCeiling LCRs would be best...but just curious on the Rounds.

Thanks!
One row with three seats, in-ceiling LCR's should work with off axis dispersion.

Two rows with seven seats............big problem.
post #6889 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post
Does anyone own or have heard the CINEMA REFERENCE speakers? Any opinions in relation to the Platinum speakers (other than price)? Thx

Jeff
I can't figure this out either...anxious to have somebody with experience chime in.
post #6890 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I can't figure this out either...anxious to have somebody with experience chime in.
I will keep my eyes peeled on the classifieds for 3 catalysts coming up for sale once this question gets answered
jlcichocki likes this.
post #6891 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I will keep my eyes peeled on the classifieds for 3 catalysts coming up for sale once this question gets answered
Haha.....Figured somebody would call me out on this.

No worries there. My L/C/R isn't changing anytime soon. I am researching for a buddy.

Although I will say that some Triad surrounds could be in my future.
post #6892 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post

Jeff
No..........but I've seen them at Triads main meeting room in Portland, Oregon. They are big and beautiful! First thought that came to mind was JBL Everests!
post #6893 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
No..........but I've seen them at Triads main meeting room in Portland, Oregon. They are big and beautiful! First thought that came to mind was JBL Everests!

Did you hear them play?
post #6894 of 6898 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Sure will let you know how they sound in my HT

as for round speakers for atmos, i am not really sure, but i know it is much easier to setup your speakers for atmos if you have narrow listening area like your case with one raw.

also make sure you have at least 5ft distance between you and your surround/rear speakers, and keep them at your ear level or just a little above.
post #6895 of 6898 Old Today, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Just checking to see if anybody within this thread is in or around the Knoxville Tennessee area that might be willing to offer up a demo. In particular, the in-wall gold or silver speakers.

Thank you in advance.
post #6896 of 6898 Unread Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Just checking to see if anybody within this thread is in or around the Knoxville Tennessee area that might be willing to offer up a demo. In particular, the in-wall gold or silver speakers.

Thank you in advance.
I will be in Knoxville in 2021 when my mighty Trojans once again land in SEC Country.....................will also be in Texas next Fall to watch my Trojans face lowly Alabama Crimson Tide.
post #6897 of 6898 Unread Today, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
I will be in Knoxville in 2021 when my mighty Trojans once again land in SEC Country.....................will also be in Texas next Fall to watch my Trojans face lowly Alabama Crimson Tide.
Don't worry, my Buckeyes already took care of Alabama. Won't be anything but scraps left by the time you play them
doublewing11 likes this.
post #6898 of 6898 Unread Today, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By then you can probably teleport your theater with you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page