Triad Owner's Thread - Page 231 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #6901 of 6908 Old Today, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think the calculator is somewhat based on the dispersion angle of all of their InCeiling speakers. Due to the angled baffle, they cover an angle from directly below to 60 degrees. You need to make sure that your sitting area (and ears) falls within this range. There are charts on their website that explain this.

If you don't have very high ceilings, you must be careful not the mount them too far forward.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/education/faq.html

Quote:
InCeiling speakers have their drivers on a 45 degree angled baffle, which should be generally aimed at the listening area. The useable vertical dispersion angle is approximately 60 degrees. That is, they can be used from directly underneath, to 30 degrees down from the ceiling surface. The rule of thumb is if you can see the tweeter, you are within desirable parameters. To be more precise, use the InCeiling Speaker Distance Calculator in the Dealer Download section of our website.

Last edited by Scott MS; Today at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6908 Old Today, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post
Basically the calculator was made by Triad to calculate where exactly you need to place your height speakers (front and rear) from your main seat.

i think it is based on Dolby recommendation for Atmos height speakers, which are 30-50 degree for front & 125-150 for rear heights speakers (InCeiling)
Okay, good to know.

I'm still waiting for things to settle down (probably after the DTS tech gets released) before pulling the trigger, especially since I'll be sporting a 5.1.2 setup which will probably be less forgiving that 7.1.4 which seems more common so far.
lovingdvd likes this.

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
though the Triad On Wall Silver Surrounds are listed for sale, and will be replaced by direct radiating speakers.
post #6903 of 6908 Old Today, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MS View Post
I think the calculator is somewhat based on the dispersion angle of all of their InCeiling speakers. Due to the angled baffle, they cover an angle from directly below to 60 degrees. You need to make sure that your sitting area (and ears) falls within this range. There are charts on their website that explain this.

If you don't have very high ceilings, you must be careful not the mount them too far forward.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/education/faq.html
Vertical dispersion in one thing...................horizontal dispersion is another. With 45 degree baffle and 60 degree dispersion on vertical axis, boundary issues are not too bad........most certainly doable, yet still have inherent issues......................but then again, getting horizontal axis to work is another story. +/- 3 db's off axis to what angle? That would be interesting to know since one one is willing to divulge the answer.
post #6904 of 6908 Old Today, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 112
How well do you guys think the Triad Silvers would work in my room I am building? What would you recommend for the speakers in a 9.1.6 Atmos configuration (for future compatibility)?

A custom installer is highly recommending I go with the Pro Audio SCR-12sm for my L/C/R and something like the http://proaudiotechnology.com/scrs-5iw.html or http://proaudiotechnology.com/scrs-25ica.html for the surrounds.

These speakers require using Pro Audio's amp as well, and the whole setup seems rather complex (I am used to calibrating (i.e. REW) and tweaking my own gear and this sounds like I'd have a ton to learn). Not to mention the considerable expense.

In my case I want the room to sounds great, but I do not blast movies. Generally I listen at moderate levels. Under what conditions (if any) might the Pro Audio's be a better fit than the Triad? I looked all over AVS and there is very little posted about Pro Audio gear, unlike Triad. Why is that you think?

If the Pro Audio gear is at another level higher, are there other such manufacturers at the same level that don't require using their proprietary amps?

Last edited by lovingdvd; Today at 07:48 PM.
post #6905 of 6908 Old Today, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

John - just wanted to say - very nice work in Sketchup.
post #6906 of 6908 Old Today, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
How well do you guys think the Triad Silvers would work in my room I am building? What would you recommend for the speakers in a 9.1.6 Atmos configuration (for future compatibility)?

A custom installer is highly recommending I go with the Pro Audio SCR-12sm for my L/C/R and something like the http://proaudiotechnology.com/scrs-5iw.html or http://proaudiotechnology.com/scrs-25ica.html for the surrounds.

These speakers require using Pro Audio's amp as well, and the whole setup seems rather complex (I am used to calibrating (i.e. REW) and tweaking my own gear and this sounds like I'd have a ton to learn). Not to mention the considerable expense.

In my case I want the room to sounds great, but I do not blast movies. Generally I listen at moderate levels. Under what conditions (if any) might the Pro Audio's be a better fit than the Triad? I looked all over AVS and there is very little posted about Pro Audio gear, unlike Triad. Why is that you think?

If the Pro Audio gear is at another level higher, are there other such manufacturers at the same level that don't require using their proprietary amps?
I was fortunate to hear PHC ie Proaudio Technology system at Definitive Audio in Seattle and Room Service in Beaverton, Oregon. I came very, very close to purchasing system, but in the end decided to go Triad due to listening levels and Triad being an Oregon company.

Proaudiotech Tech with DSP amps which bi-amp speakers are really easy to deal with if a local calibrator is available or if you are a tweaker. For true cinema sound at ear splitting levels, not too many commercial offerings can touch them for home theater! They were the only horns I even considered. Great system, but just too much for my 25.5 by 17 by 10.5 ft room.

To answer your original question, I use 6 Silver LCR's for surround and 3 Gold LCR's for front........and I might add, saved a lot of $$$ going this route and am happy with system.

I learned very fast, great speakers that are flat across FR in a well treated acoustically designed room can play at same quality levels as a big boy system like Proaudiotech Technology system.

In the end, room plays the biggest role in what we hear.......great speakers help too.
post #6907 of 6908 Old Today, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I was fortunate to hear PHC ie Proaudio Technology system at Definitive Audio in Seattle and Room Service in Beaverton, Oregon. I came very, very close to purchasing system, but in the end decided to go Triad due to listening levels and Triad being an Oregon company.

Proaudiotech Tech with DSP amps which bi-amp speakers are really easy to deal with if a local calibrator is available or if you are a tweaker.
Yes there would be a local calibrator. But I don't want to be dependant on anyone. I want to be able to tweak and have various presets like an EQ for when I am the only one in the theater in the MLP and an EQ when there are people next to me and an EQ present when both rows are filled etc. I want to be able to play around with it if I change the furniture or move the MLP some - don't want to have to call someone back in etc.

I like the idea of using the 88A DSP with Dirac Live - is that not necessary then with the Pro Audio solution?

Quote:
For true cinema sound at ear splitting levels, not too many commercial offerings can touch them for home theater! They were the only horns I even considered. Great system, but just too much for my 25.5 by 17 by 10.5 ft room.
Well, that's just it. I really have no interest in playing the speakers at ear splitting level - none (wow I can't believe I just wrote that). There was a time many years ago, yes, that would be key. But my hearing has been damaged from concerts and other loud music, and I am sensitive to it now and just don't enjoy it crazy loud. Loud-ish, yes. Crazy ear splitting loud - nah I can't do it. So with this in mind does that mean Triad Gold would be good. What about the platinums? Overkill or...? For reference my room is similar to yours but with smaller ceilings - I'm about 28' L x 18' W x 7.75' H.

Quote:
To answer your original question, I use 6 Silver LCR's for surround and 3 Gold LCR's for front........and I might add, saved a lot of $$$ going this route and am happy with system.
It makes me a little weary having to be locked into Pro Techs amp if I go in that direction. I like that with Triad you can use whatever. I think for my listening tastes and style (more of a video guy than an audio guy) the Triad would be a clearer, more simplistic solution that may come "close enough" to what I'd get with something like the Pro Audio.

Are there any other speakers I may want to consider besides the Triad line?

Quote:
I learned very fast, great speakers that are flat across FR in a well treated acoustically designed room can play at same quality levels as a big boy system like Proaudiotech Technology system.
"FR"?

Quote:
In the end, room plays the biggest role in what we hear.......great speakers help too.
Yes I will definitely be investing in acoustical treatments and having a professional plan and carry out the implementation of that.
post #6908 of 6908 Old Today, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Yes there would be a local calibrator. But I don't want to be dependant on anyone. I want to be able to tweak and have various presets like an EQ for when I am the only one in the theater in the MLP and an EQ when there are people next to me and an EQ present when both rows are filled etc. I want to be able to play around with it if I change the furniture or move the MLP some - don't want to have to call someone back in etc.

I like the idea of using the 88A DSP with Dirac Live - is that not necessary then with the Pro Audio solution?

Well, that's just it. I really have no interest in playing the speakers at ear splitting level - none (wow I can't believe I just wrote that). There was a time many years ago, yes, that would be key. But my hearing has been damaged from concerts and other loud music, and I am sensitive to it now and just don't enjoy it crazy loud. Loud-ish, yes. Crazy ear splitting loud - nah I can't do it. So with this in mind does that mean Triad Gold would be good. What about the platinums? Overkill or...? For reference my room is similar to yours but with smaller ceilings - I'm about 28' L x 18' W x 7.75' H.

It makes me a little weary having to be locked into Pro Techs amp if I go in that direction. I like that with Triad you can use whatever. I think for my listening tastes and style (more of a video guy than an audio guy) the Triad would be a clearer, more simplistic solution that may come "close enough" to what I'd get with something like the Pro Audio.

Are there any other speakers I may want to consider besides the Triad line?

"FR"?

Yes I will definitely be investing in acoustical treatments and having a professional plan and carry out the implementation of that.
FR.......frequency response from 70 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

I drove Paul Scarpelli up a tree with my speaker adventures! Poor guy.....

Spent 2-1/2 years searching for speakers to use in my room. Figured over 60+ different auditions from Seattle to San Diego.

My two favorites were Aerial 20T V2's and Triad Gold Monitors.........Gold Monitor's are a fraction of cost compared to those V2's!

I auditioned many hard to find speakers such as Adam Audio Pencils/Columns, B&W CT 800 series, PHC, Wisdom, Focal, Dynoaudio and others.........but I still came back to Triad. Learned quite a bit from that journey.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page