AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
60 degrees will cover multiple rows.
Question is......................from what distance.

Dispersion considerations +/- 3 db's off axis................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 7069 Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Well.................."Semi- Cone of Silence"

Evidently, Dennis Erskine is working on three rooms at Triad's Cooperate office...........................one for R&D demo, two others for customers, dealers and reps. Sorry..............no pictures..............

The room I demoed speakers will be engineering room for research and development as engineering staff sits adjacent to room. First, demo was set up listening to Atmos enabled In-room Bronze LR-H speakers which were first demoed during CEDIA 2015.........I was also privy to view similar In Room Silver LR-H. Actually, I was quite shocked with quality of sound for these relatively inexpensive speakers........set up was with 8 Silver subs so bass was very clean, punchy...........very effective.

Demo room was actually the same size as mine......................well, very close. 25 ft by 19 ft by 10.5 ft.......................just two feet wider than my room, and half a foot shorter. Acoustic treatments have been set up by Dennis and I was surprised with all the hard surfaces still exposed, but room sounded clean, crisp, open and dialogue was extremely clear. Steve Colburn, Product Development and Traing at Triad confessed he had done calibration earlier morning and calibration was not perfect.......................I can assure you, with all the demo rooms I've seen in the last three years, system founded fine!

Went through demo of various material, switching in and out of Atmos, DSU, and regular 7.1........................................Atmos makes a HUGE difference, so does DSU compared to run of the mill configuration ie. 7.1. I've seen only one Atmos movie at theater................this was my first home demo of Atmos since I wasn't able to make it to CEDIA this year.

My impressions, 90% of AVS members would be happy with Bronze system with it's eight Silver subs..............but the Cinema Reference 7.1 demo with prototype 21" subs would most definitely please remaining last 10% including ME!!!

I've auditioned and considered purchasing many different expensive speakers like full blown Proaudio Technology system.............Triad Plats..................but these Triad Cinema Reference speakers are in a whole new WORLD!!! Cinema Reference system was set up as 7.1 including fore-mentioned 4 prototype 21" subs. The AMT horn loaded tweeter is something else..............didn't listen to system at ear splitting levels, but at levels I'm comfortable with. I'm a ribbon guy............but ribbons can't deliver dynamics...................the horn loaded AMT tweeter in Cinema Reference speaker give the signature sound of a true ribbon, but are much, much more capable in dynamics! Definitely a reference speaker for high end rooms!!

As far as my situation goes ie. Atmos speakers for my application.....................nothing mass marketed...........but am looking at custom design to meet my specific needs. Triad is only speaker manufacturer I know of in market place willing or can do that! Two thumbs up for TRIAD and Dennis Erskine for giving me opportunity to solve my Atmos speaker dilemma.
I have been waiting for a while to hear this review. Thanks DW.

Would someone please alert the classified dept that BrolicBeast will be calling soon with his Triad Cinema Plat ad.

Also send word to Triad that BB will be coming to visit for a Cinema Reference demo. They may also want to start production of his set of speakers.

While we are making calls please notify Nyal at Acoustic Frontiers that there maybe some acoustical alterations to BB's design and Big Mouth in DC might need to do some framing alterations.

Last edited by jlcichocki; 03-26-2015 at 03:26 PM.
post #7053 of 7069 Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post
I have been waiting for a while to hear this review. Thanks DW.

Would someone please alert the classified dept that BrolicBeast will be calling soon with his Triad Cinema Plat ad.

Also send work to Triad that BB will be coming to visit for a Cinema Reference demo. They may also want to start production pf his set of speakers.

While we are making calls please notify Nyal at Acoustic Designs that there maybe some acoustical alterations to BB's design and Big Mouth in DC might need to do some framing alterations.
Lololol....I trieddddddd to swing the cinema reference speakers, but someone with very close ties to Triad said they weren't made for a room my size, and there would be a hiss coming from them due to proximity to the first row (they are meant for the theaters of the rich and famous--I.e. 40' long, 30' wide, with very, very ceiling heights (I think double wing might be a candidate...his pre-cloud ceiling height is crazy). So I abandoned the notion, instead of scraping my pennies and my left arm to afford those bad boys.

Those speakers are monstrous!
jlcichocki likes this.
post #7054 of 7069 Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I received a little more info specifically what I was listening to.................I might remind you, my motive was to find solution for my room but was pleasantly surprised with extended demo!

Anyhow, first part of demo used 4 In-Rooom Bronze LR-H Dolby enabled speakers as Front/Rear Left & Rights, Bronze Center...........two BIPOLE Surrounds (currently available at a slight premium over dipole surrounds and soon to become standard) and 8 on-wall Silver Cinema Plus subs each delivered by a Rackamp 600DSP. Electronics used was Marantz SR7009 AVR as pre-pro driven by an ADA PTM-8150 amp with Marantz UD7007 Blu-Ray player.

As I mentioned before, I was a little taken back due to not expecting sound to be as good as it was with these speakers........................and I'd like to reiterate, for 90% AVS members, this solution is as good as it gets.................but on the other hand:

Second part of demo used Triad' Cinema Reference system included 3 CR LCR2 with 4 CR Surround 2's. Eight Silver Cinema Plus subs with fore-mentioned rack amps plus 2 prototype 21" Cinema Reference Subs internally amplified with 2400 watts. I was mistaken on number of prototype subs.............would have swore four were in the cards.

Electronics for CR demo included all Datasat equipment including Datasat 20i processor, one Datasat RA 7300 Amp and finally, RA 2400 Amp.....................well, now I know why I was soooooooo enamored with CR demo! Top quality equipment all around!!!

Seriously..................if I was building my room now, I would most likely be putting these CR speakers in my room! No kidding......................wife knocking me out or not! They are that good!
jlcichocki likes this.
post #7055 of 7069 Old 03-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Well, I received a little more info specifically what I was listening to.................I might remind you, my motive was to find solution for my room but was pleasantly surprised with extended demo!

Anyhow, first part of demo used 4 In-Rooom Bronze LR-H Dolby enabled speakers as Front/Rear Left & Rights, Bronze Center...........two BIPOLE Surrounds (currently available at a slight premium over dipole surrounds and soon to become standard) and 8 on-wall Silver Cinema Plus subs each delivered by a Rackamp 600DSP. Electronics used was Marantz SR7009 AVR as pre-pro driven by an ADA PTM-8150 amp with Marantz UD7007 Blu-Ray player.

As I mentioned before, I was a little taken back due to not expecting sound to be as good as it was with these speakers........................and I'd like to reiterate, for 90% AVS members, this solution is as good as it gets.................but on the other hand:

Second part of demo used Triad' Cinema Reference system included 3 CR LCR2 with 4 CR Surround 2's. Eight Silver Cinema Plus subs with fore-mentioned rack amps plus 2 prototype 21" Cinema Reference Subs internally amplified with 2400 watts. I was mistaken on number of prototype subs.............would have swore four were in the cards.

Electronics for CR demo included all Datasat equipment including Datasat 20i processor, one Datasat RA 7300 Amp and finally, RA 2400 Amp.....................well, now I know why I was soooooooo enamored with CR demo! Top quality equipment all around!!!

Seriously..................if I was building my room now, I would most likely be putting these CR speakers in my room! No kidding......................wife knocking me out or not! They are that good!

Brolic, pick me up on your way through Chicago enroute to Oregon. I'm only an hour north of ORD.
post #7056 of 7069 Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Lololol....I trieddddddd to swing the cinema reference speakers, but someone with very close ties to Triad said they weren't made for a room my size, and there would be a hiss coming from them due to proximity to the first row (they are meant for the theaters of the rich and famous--I.e. 40' long, 30' wide, with very, very ceiling heights (I think double wing might be a candidate...his pre-cloud ceiling height is crazy). So I abandoned the notion, instead of scraping my pennies and my left arm to afford those bad boys.

Yes they are monstrous...........but sound really GOOD!

I could swing it................would have to cut down quite a few TREES!!!

Seriously......................I would never use the output these things are capable of............but that's not the point. The ribbon like sound coming out of these contraptions would be well worth it to me! Man o' man......................they are smooth, transparent to the source......................
post #7057 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:

I listen from 9'-6" and do not have a hiss. It depends on the amps that you use. I am using similar tweeter in my speakers. These speakers have it all, sound quality and dynamics.
doublewing11 likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 03-27-2015 at 06:19 AM.
post #7058 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I listen from 9'-6" and do not have a hiss. It depends on the amps that you use. I am using similar tweeter in my speakers. These speakers have it all, sound quality and dynamics.

As my Mum and Grandmum would say......................"Poppycock" with hearing hiss from these Cinema Reference speakers!!!

Mike, I can assure you.................there was absolutely NO hiss from these speakers!!!!! If there were................I suspect other issues as ground loop, shoddy equipment with high noise floor etc. would be culprit. Of course with high sensitivity of these speakers..................any issue with signal chain would show up!

Now you really having me wanting to hear what you've done with your speakers!!! Let me hear..........let me hear!!
post #7059 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be perfectly honest....................................7.2 Proaudio Technology system I heard and really considered purchasing was in similar $$$$ ballpark as these Triad Cinema Reference speakers. Of course the Pro Tech system came with DSP amps as part of system....................but I shied away from that horn configuration. I suspect these wonderful speakers can be had NOT for the rich and famous...............but for those who have invested their money wisely and now are nearing their "Golden Age", willing to enjoy the best associated with their hobby..

Granted, using these speakers is an investment..........as in enjoyment not monetary....................think of it similar to purchasing a fine "German" car. Seriously, I always wanted a "German" car but that urge has come and gone with time................BTW, I drive a Prius and love it!!!

It's all about priorities........................ you don't have to be "Rich and Famous" to purchase or enjoy these fine speakers..................just be hard working and willing to invest in your hobby!

Last edited by doublewing11; 03-27-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #7060 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thats not "hiss", thats the sound of the breaks being applied in the Brolic Theater
post #7061 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
As my Mum and Grandmum would say......................"Poppycock" with hearing hiss from these Cinema Reference speakers!!!

Mike, I can assure you.................there was absolutely NO hiss from these speakers!!!!! If there were................I suspect other issues as ground loop, shoddy equipment with high noise floor etc. would be culprit. Of course with high sensitivity of these speakers..................any issue with signal chain would show up!

Now you really having me wanting to hear what you've done with your speakers!!! Let me hear..........let me hear!!
My LCR speakers are M,T,M,W using:
Acoustic Elegance TD12M: http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=5
Beyma TPL-150H: http://www.beyma.com/products/diapha...eters/1TPL15H8
Acoustic Elegance TD18H+: http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=24

Active crossover using two MiniDSP10x10HD's and I am also using the MiniDSP Dirac unit (DDRC-88A). Speakers are baffle wall mounted.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7062 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
To be perfectly honest....................................7.2 Proaudio Technology system I heard and really considered purchasing was in similar $$$$ ballpark as these Triad Cinema Reference speakers. Of course the Pro Tech system came with DSP amps as part of system....................but I shied away from that horn configuration. I suspect these wonderful speakers can be had NOT for the rich and famous...............but for those who have invested their money wisely and now are nearing their "Golden Age", willing to enjoy the best associated with their hobby..

Granted, using these speakers is an investment..........as in enjoyment not monetary....................think of it similar to purchasing a fine "German" car. Seriously, I always wanted a "German" car but that urge has come and gone with time................BTW, I drive a Prius and love it!!!

It's all about priorities........................ you don't have to be "Rich and Famous" to purchase or enjoy these fine speakers..................just be hard working and willing to invest in your hobby!
I used to be into cars years ago. Used to own a 911. I drive a pickup truck these days.

post #7063 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My LCR speakers are M,T,M,W using:
Beyma TPL-150H: http://www.beyma.com/products/diapha...eters/1TPL15H8
Acoustic Elegance TD18H+: http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=24

Active crossover using two MiniDSP10x10HD's and I am also using the MiniDSP Dirac unit (DDRC-88A). Speakers are baffle wall mounted.

Thanks Mike..........................

You might have given me a project in two years time when I'm officially retired from one of my jobs......................................

BTW, how far are you from Knoxville? I'd have to look at schedule.................but I believe USC plays Tennessee at Knoxville in 2019......................I'd love to stop by before or after game to hear your little project!
post #7064 of 7069 Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks Mike..........................

You might have given me a project in two years time when I'm officially retired from one of my jobs......................................

BTW, how far are you from Knoxville? I'd have to look at schedule.................but I believe USC plays Tennessee at Knoxville in 2019......................I'd love to stop by before or after game to hear your little project!
About 3.5 hours away. Cory, you are welcome to stop by. My theater is very humble compared to yours (all black) It does perform pretty good though.
doublewing11 likes this.

post #7065 of 7069 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
About 3.5 hours away. Cory, you are welcome to stop by. My theater is very humble compared to yours (all black) It does perform pretty good though.
I know we have chatted before about your speakers, but those sound very nice. Might have to roll up your way the next time I am working in Nashville.
post #7066 of 7069 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I know we have chatted before about your speakers, but those sound very nice. Might have to roll up your way the next time I am working in Nashville.
Adam Audio Pencils/Columns use similar AMT tweeter and I loved them! So I've been a fan of AMT design for some time.........

Cinema Reference system indicates Heil motion transduser has come a long way! I suspect Mikes implementation sounds great!
post #7067 of 7069 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a question regarding my inceiling bronze 8 LCR which will be used for Atmos front and rear heights speakers. They are suggesting to install them inline with front right and left channel speaker. but, do i have to tilt them toward my seat? i know they are designed with built it an angled tweeter, but i am talking about tilting the whole speaker. (imagine a laser beam coming from the tweeter, it will technically pass the seat next to me, and a bit far from my ear)

I am bit confused, so what do you suggest?
post #7068 of 7069 Old Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post
I have a question regarding my inceiling bronze 8 LCR which will be used for Atmos front and rear heights speakers. They are suggesting to install them inline with front right and left channel speaker. but, do i have to tilt them toward my seat? i know they are designed with built it an angled tweeter, but i am talking about tilting the whole speaker. (imagine a laser beam coming from the tweeter, it will technically pass the seat next to me, and a bit far from my ear)

Depends on many factors.............distance, azimuth......................etc.

From my gathering......................45 degree baffle of In-ceiling Bronze may........or may not work. Seek advise of design professional for your specific situation.
post #7069 of 7069 Old Today, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
i knew for a few months now the silver-h were coming down the line. so was that the speakers you went to listen to or is it still something different? from how you wrote sounded like you were going to see separates vs the upfiring type like the silvers will be.

they are great with customs. my wides are going to be custom silvers so i can keep my columns how i want them to look and still get the angle i need.

jim
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendry98 View Post

In general the advice I've heard is that all speakers, both on the listening level and ceiling level, should be aimed at the MLP. So if its 45 degree already (by design) and you need 50 degrees total to point at the MLP then you'd need another 5% angle, etc. Like doublewing says seek professional opinions I am not exactly sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page