Triad Owner's Thread - Page 243 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 227Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #7261 of 7270 Old 04-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I would go with InCeiling Silver/6 Satellites for the Atmos speakers.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph, Oppo and Control4.
Dawn Gordon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7262 of 7270 Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Dawn Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Jupiter, FL USA
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Triad News

As you may have heard on the news, the West Coast ports were tied up in a 6 month labor dispute. Although the ports are now open, the back log of container ships waiting to unload their cargo is extensive.

Due to the strike, Triad is temporarily out of RackAmp 350s. These amps power the InRoom and InWall Mini and Bronze Subs. Because the ocean freight shipment arrival is still unknown, Triad is air shipping a quantity of amps to help with the shortage and they should arrive within a week or so.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph, Oppo and Control4.

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 04-27-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Dawn Gordon is offline  
post #7263 of 7270 Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,529
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Wouldn't it be nice if Triad was secretly working on a wide dispersion coaxial ceiling speaker for Atmos or DTS:X? Boy, talk about demand!
grtuck likes this.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #7264 of 7270 Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 25,679
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if Triad was secretly working on a wide dispersion coaxial ceiling speaker for Atmos or DTS:X? Boy, talk about demand!
I really don't understand the hand wringing about lack of "Atmos speakers" from Triad. Why does a ceiling speaker suddenly have to be a coax because of Atmos/DTSX? Triad already makes many high performance ceiling speakers -- the models with 45 degree angle baffle seem ready made for the job. If, say, a Silver InCeiling LCR is good enough to be a front speaker in a normal 5.1 setup why is it not perfectly suited to be an overhead speaker in an immersive audio setup?
batpig is offline  
post #7265 of 7270 Old 04-28-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,529
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I really don't understand the hand wringing about lack of "Atmos speakers" from Triad. Why does a ceiling speaker suddenly have to be a coax because of Atmos/DTSX? Triad already makes many high performance ceiling speakers -- the models with 45 degree angle baffle seem ready made for the job. If, say, a Silver InCeiling LCR is good enough to be a front speaker in a normal 5.1 setup why is it not perfectly suited to be an overhead speaker in an immersive audio setup?
Let's look at requirements for Atmos ceiling speakers.............................small, wide off axis dispersion, short distances to MLP, point source with least distortion possible.

Normal two driver speakers have much higher distortion and breakup at crossover due to interference/interaction between cones. With coaxials, consistent off axis response has HUGE advantages due to co-incident driver arrangement. Coaxials improve point source as in all sound comes from the same pin point center location radiating with much broader coherent dispersion. Dual point source drivers deliver full range sound frequencies in correct phase alignment resulting in smoothest FR possible compared to separated two ways. In other words, less distortion at boundary (ceiling), less distortion at crossover frequency......................smaller form factor which is perfect for ceiling application. Coaxials have perfect form factor for ceiling application.......................and I would love to see Triad come up with their own version for Atmos ie. on-ceiling/in-ceiling product!
doublewing11 is offline  
post #7266 of 7270 Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Let's look at requirements for Atmos ceiling speakers.............................small, wide off axis dispersion, short distances to MLP, point source with least distortion possible.

Normal two driver speakers have much higher distortion and breakup at crossover due to interference/interaction between cones. With coaxials, consistent off axis response has HUGE advantages due to co-incident driver arrangement. Coaxials improve point source as in all sound comes from the same pin point center location radiating with much broader coherent dispersion. Dual point source drivers deliver full range sound frequencies in correct phase alignment resulting in smoothest FR possible compared to separated two ways. In other words, less distortion at boundary (ceiling), less distortion at crossover frequency......................smaller form factor which is perfect for ceiling application. Coaxials have perfect form factor for ceiling application.......................and I would love to see Triad come up with their own version for Atmos ie. on-ceiling/in-ceiling product!
From the multiple multiple talks with the guys while they helped plan my room, I never got the impression they were going to change what they r doing now. They seem pretty satisfied with what they have going on with the bronze lcr incieling and seem to be staying in that camp. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

I don't know maybe I will hate how my room sounds when it is done but I doubt it cause I am prob in that group of 90 percent that would be happy with the bronze setup they have now for demo and have been using.

Jim
jimim is offline  
post #7267 of 7270 Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,529
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
From the multiple multiple talks with the guys while they helped plan my room, I never got the impression they were going to change what they r doing now. They seem pretty satisfied with what they have going on with the bronze lcr incieling and seem to be staying in that camp. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

I don't know maybe I will hate how my room sounds when it is done but I doubt it cause I am prob in that group of 90 percent that would be happy with the bronze setup they have now for demo and have been using.

Jim
You maybe right...................but 45 degree baffle won't work in my room for front...............I need 28-31 degree baffle. In rear, I need 10-15 degree baffle with 8 ft throw which will not work using 2 way driver set up such as Bronze in-ceiling or in-wall set on it's side. What works for one room may not work for another. Advantage of coaxials............could work in both applications.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #7268 of 7270 Unread Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Audiophiliac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok Triad gurus (Dawn, you will recognize this thread from RC). I have finally decided to practice what I preach and put a 5.1 system in my living room. This is not a dedicated theater, and will have several compromises. First, LCR will be in-ceiling Bronze LCR. Sub may be an in room gold, or James Cinema15, or a pair of JBL HTPS-400. To be determined. My biggest concern is choice and placement of the surround speakers. Again, in-ceiling is the only option here. Problem is the sofa is right up against the rear wall. Not the best, I know, but not much room to wiggle here. My readily available options are in-ceiling gold omni, or in-wall bronze surround. I already have access to those 2 speakers, so hopefully one of those will work. Placement is a concern, and if I do the in-wall surrounds, what orientation would work best? And how far apart should I put them? I attached the quick and dirty paintbrush diagram. You can see where my orange squares are. That is my thought of approximately where the speakers need to go. I am open to ideas here. I have about 21" between the back wall and the next truss/joist, so these will be very close to the rear wall.

Obviously, I am somewhat stuck with what I got so to speak, so I am trying to make the best of the room I have to work with. Some have suggested going with in-room models places behind the sofa firing up. Not sure that compromise is any better than in-ceiling. But if it turns out that actually works well, I am open to try it. It would be easy enough to experiment with for sure.

Thoughts?
Audiophiliac is offline  
post #7269 of 7270 Unread Yesterday, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post
Again, in-ceiling is the only option here. Problem is the sofa is right up against the rear wall. Not the best, I know, but not much room to wiggle here. My readily available options are in-ceiling gold omni, or in-wall bronze surround. I already have access to those 2 speakers, so hopefully one of those will work. Placement is a concern, and if I do the in-wall surrounds, what orientation would work best? And how far apart should I put them? I attached the quick and dirty paintbrush diagram. You can see where my orange squares are. That is my thought of approximately where the speakers need to go. I am open to ideas here. I have about 21" between the back wall and the next truss/joist, so these will be very close to the rear wall.
My room is 10' deep and 12' wide with my seating along the rear wall. I use a pair of in-wall silver surrounds in the ceiling about 1' from side and rear wall. At the MLP it works well with minimal cue of ceiling source; however while the seating under the speaker doesn't quite hotspot, it overpowers the other side surround collapsing the surround effect. I'm curious to try in ceiling Gold Omni SE's where the balance of sound between the speaker above being off axis in comparison to the opposite side speaker would be more balanced. Or for me as I do have walls on either side, I may try reflecting each side surround off the side walls.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens
WTB: Triad InCeiling / InWall Gold Omni SE's or InCeiling Silver MiniMonitors

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Marantz SR7008, Oppo 103D, Lumagen XS-3D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is online now  
post #7270 of 7270 Unread Today, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I need more help with my home theater build using Triad In-walls for LCR and rear surround (5.1). I am leaving wires in the ceiling for 4 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos that may be installed at a later date, but keep that in mind. I will try post a picture of the room layout.

What I don't quite understand, is how large/good of speakers I need. My room is 14' wide and 17' long with an open back wall to the rest of a basement. 9' ceilings. Though the "theater area" will be about 2142 cubic feet, the entirety of the basement with which the sound will "see" is about 6000 cubic feet. I will likely need more oomph from my LCRs than if the theater was sealed. Also, the L/C/R will be placed behind an AT screen so the 2-3 dB loss needs accounting as well. One question is that I don't know what Reference level is, at least I've never measured it while I'm listening to it. Therefore I'm looking for a system that can achieve Reference level in this room at the seating positions, though in truth I will listen at -10 dB just like everyone else most of the time. Seating will be at 9' and 14.5' from the screen.

My initial consideration was putting 3 inWall Gold/6 LCR behind the screen at appropriate height. This way if I listen to music as well at least I have speakers with the minerals to push it. I'm guessing the 3-way of the Golds is more of a step up than just volume from the Silver/6 InWalls, right?

For rear surrounds (5.1.?) they will be placed in the left and right walls. I was going to knee/jerk buy InWall gold/4 Surrounds for this purpose. Are these overkill for my room? Would the Silver/4 surrounds be a better choice? They seem to be a large jump from the Silver/4 InWalls just in number of drivers. Dawn's chart which was posted earlier seems to suggest Gold Inwall Omni SE speakers for surrounds, but those would be mono would they not? I don't quite understand this.

My seating will be 4 theater seats at 9 feet, and 4 theater seats at 14.5 feet, with the rear seats used 90% of the time. The seats will be pushed against the right wall for a left wall walking lane, and the rear seats will be on an 8" riser. Does the rear in-wall surround speaker go between the rows, behind the rear row, or next to the rear row? I assume that far right seating position will be about 18" from that speaker, so it won't be a very good spot with the sound up! What about dipole vs bipole? I heard that bipole is better in general and plays nicely with Dolby Atmos if I get that hooked up.

I plan to push all these speakers with an Emotiva 5 channel amp with 300 w/ch. at 4 ohms. Good match?

Please help, and I appreciate all replies in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater pic 3d.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	699386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater pic.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	699394  
Highplainsdakota is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off