Triad Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #721 of 6308 Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't see any information about the sconces on the Triad website. Does anyone have information on these yet? Pricing?

I was thinking about going with the Gold surrounds later this year when I expand my theater. I like the look of the sconces but my guess is that they are really designed for something totally different.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6308 Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on lowering the center channel output by 1.5db - 2.0 db relative to the mains? I usually watch/listen to movies about -5db below reference and I usually find the dialogue to be a tad harsh at times. I lowered the center by about 1.5db and the audio sounds much more balanced as a whole an the dialogue was more natural.

Am I compensating for another issue or is this common practice?

Current system:

Triad Gold LCR (Gold horizontal center channel)
Dual JL Audio F113 subs up front
Theta Dreadnaught II
Cary Cinema 11a

All speakers crossed over at 80hz.

Anyone?
post #723 of 6308 Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Tony,

I have the same front three speakers as you but I'm using an Anthem processor and Anthem amps. I've actually bumped up my center channel by 1.5 dB or so. I probably don't listen as loud as you do though.

Steve
post #724 of 6308 Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi Paul,

I have a quick question regarding placement of surround speakers. I am looking into a pair of either Bronze/4 Surround InWall or Bronze Surround OnWall speakers to serve as rear surrounds in a 5.1 system. These will be mounted either in-ceiling or on the ceiling.

1. Is there a difference in sound quality between the InWall and OnWall?
2. What is the optimal location to place these speakers, relative to the listening position? I have heard "a little behind and to the side of the listener," but I'm not sure if this changes if you are mounting on the ceiling and if you are using dipoles.

Thanks for the help!
post #725 of 6308 Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

I alos tend to bump my center up 1-2 db. I think it all boils down to personal preference, your own room acoustics, and what's driving it.
post #726 of 6308 Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Paul,

I need some advice on a pair of inwall speakers for my family room. My wife doesn't like the look of the speakers next to our 50" Elite plasma so I'm thinking about mounting the TV on the wall and using a pair of inwalls for the speakers. This TV is for general viewing with an occasional movie. The speakers will be powered from the TV (at least initially). The room is faily good size, 20' x 22", with a normal viewing distance of about 14'.

I talked to a dealer today about the Silver/4 LCRs and the Silver/4 minimonitors but I'm wondering if those might be overkill. Looking at the Triad website some more this evening I'm wondering if something like the Gold/4 Omni SE might be a better (and cheaper?) choice.

Also, what are the differences between the Omni and the Omni SE?

Thanks,
Steve
post #727 of 6308 Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwtfh View Post

Thanks. Why would you recommend the InCeiling Gold/6 Omni vs. the Bronze/8 LCR? What is the difference?

Did you guys see this follow-up question? Triad Dude or others, can you help me with this? Much appreciated.
post #728 of 6308 Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by snweiler View Post

I don't see any information about the sconces on the Triad website. Does anyone have information on these yet? Pricing?

I was thinking about going with the Gold surrounds later this year when I expand my theater. I like the look of the sconces but my guess is that they are really designed for something totally different.

Steve

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iws4os.html

They're $750 each. We find they're being used for two main applications: Multiples down a long hallway, and direct-radiating surrounds. They're one of many versions of our Silver Omni.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #729 of 6308 Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Anyone?

Tony, I can't really answer your question. Theory is one thing, but speakers sound different in an actual installation. Sometimes dialogue, recorded later in the studio, has a forward sound to it, and it could be the movies you're listening to. On other movies, such as most Spielberg films, the dialogue is recessed farther into the mix, and these films may require a dB or two boost. The bottom line is, do what sounds the best to you. The biggest variable ihe movie soundtracks.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #730 of 6308 Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear07 View Post

Hi Paul,

I have a quick question regarding placement of surround speakers. I am looking into a pair of either Bronze/4 Surround InWall or Bronze Surround OnWall speakers to serve as rear surrounds in a 5.1 system. These will be mounted either in-ceiling or on the ceiling.

1. Is there a difference in sound quality between the InWall and OnWall?
2. What is the optimal location to place these speakers, relative to the listening position? I have heard "a little behind and to the side of the listener," but I'm not sure if this changes if you are mounting on the ceiling and if you are using dipoles.

Thanks for the help!

Ths InWall and OnWall versions of the Bronze Surrounds sound the same. And whether they're mounted on the side walls or the ceiling (in a 5.1 system), I still like them a few feet behind the listening position.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #731 of 6308 Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snweiler View Post

Paul,

I need some advice on a pair of inwall speakers for my family room. My wife doesn't like the look of the speakers next to our 50" Elite plasma so I'm thinking about mounting the TV on the wall and using a pair of inwalls for the speakers. This TV is for general viewing with an occasional movie. The speakers will be powered from the TV (at least initially). The room is faily good size, 20' x 22", with a normal viewing distance of about 14'.

I talked to a dealer today about the Silver/4 LCRs and the Silver/4 minimonitors but I'm wondering if those might be overkill. Looking at the Triad website some more this evening I'm wondering if something like the Gold/4 Omni SE might be a better (and cheaper?) choice.

Also, what are the differences between the Omni and the Omni SE?

Thanks,
Steve

The Silver/4 LCRs will give you more output than the Silver MiniMonitors, which were designed for high quality sound in a more intimate setup. You could use the Silver Omni SE (with a subwoofer, of course), and still get decent levels at 14', but not headbanger levels. The Silver Omni has a bit higher sensitivity than the Gold Omni, and will play a bit louder, but it needs a sub. In your room, anything will need a sub.

The SE versions of the Omnis are very similar, but with much more expensive Seas drivers, similar to the Gold LCR drivers, and premium crossovers. The most noticable difference is in the tweeter, which is far more detailed and exacting. This will help over the fairly long distance of 14'.

Also consider the InWall or OnWall versions of the Bronze LCRs, at around the same price as the Silver Omni SE. They'll play a few dB louder.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #732 of 6308 Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwtfh View Post

Did you guys see this follow-up question? Triad Dude or others, can you help me with this? Much appreciated.

For a front ceiling LCR, the InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR is appropriate. The InCeiling Gold/6 Omni won't play as loud, and it has more of a hemispherical radiating pattern, siutable for two-channel listening or direct-radiating surround applications.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #733 of 6308 Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

For a front ceiling LCR, the InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR is appropriate. The InCeiling Gold/6 Omni won't play as loud, and it has more of a hemispherical radiating pattern, siutable for two-channel listening or direct-radiating surround applications.

Got it. Thanks for your help.
post #734 of 6308 Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 PM

I am doing a small basement theatre room within a very open basement space (pool table area, kids playroom ,etc.) The room is approximately 16x16--Looking at (6) In Ceiling Mini LCR's and Two Bronze Subwoofers--Total cost of $6,000--

I dont have alot of wall space for in walls and my ceiling joists are 12" width--

Any better alternatives ?
post #735 of 6308 Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrosby View Post

I am doing a small basement theatre room within a very open basement space (pool table area, kids playroom ,etc.) The room is approximately 16x16--Looking at (6) In Ceiling Mini LCR's and Two Bronze Subwoofers--Total cost of $6,000--

I dont have alot of wall space for in walls and my ceiling joists are 12" width--

Any better alternatives ?

If you put that system together on your own, nice job. If a dealer did it, nice job, again. Are you doing 6.1, though? You may want to do 7.1, but that's your call. I actually still have 6.1 in my theater.

The InCeiling Mini/8 LCR barely fits between 12" on-center joists, and they may have to be shoehorned in. Some joists are narrower than others, but the speaker will fit, albeit possibly with a small amoung of "re-engineering" of your joists with a sawsall. You may have to shave a 1/4" off one joist, but hopefully not.

The only change I might suggest is to use three InCeiling Mini/8 LCRs up front, and use three (or four) InCeiling Silver/8 Omnis for your surrounds. They have a bit more of a hemispherical radiating pattern and they work great for surround. They're fifty bucks less each than the LCRs, and they use the same size grill. Get them all paint matched to your ceiling for a slick installation. That part is free.

As far as the subs, if you do the (about-to-be-renamed) InCeiling Bronze/10 DSP sub, it won't fit between the joists. Are you doing InRoom or InWall? If so, you're fine. There is a new sub which we won't ship in quantity for four weeks; the InCeilng Mini/8 DSP sub. It's also in an S-Size enclosure, like the other speakers we're talking about, and they can be put near a wall in the front, in the ceiling. They don't use a 10" driver like the Bronze, though; it's a long-throw 8" driver. The good news is we will be shipping 8 ohm versions, which means you can do two on one new RackAmp 300 DSP, for $1,800. (Two Bronze/10 PowerSubs with separate amps would be around $3,000.) And for $3,600, you could do two of the 300 watt amps and FOUR of the subs, for spectacular bass. The nice thing is all the grills would be the same size, and they would disappear with paint matching. Remember, front speakers are picked based upon how much output they have at the listening position, which will be pretty close, but subs are picked based upon room volume.

I hope I didn't confuse you with too many options.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #736 of 6308 Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 AM

I was planning on two in wall Bronze/ subs-- I actually have room front and low on left/ right of screen-- I will check out the Silver 8/ Omnis for my back row (would you use the Silver SE ?)--

I also am probably going to use a combination of Omniround8's and an in wall speaker for general home sound (mostly background listening)-- What do you think about the Bronze in wall Omni vs. the Omniround ?

How does the Bronze compare with the Silver (in wall/ omni) ?
post #737 of 6308 Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I was planning on two in wall Bronze/ subs-- I actually have room front and low on left/ right of screen-- I will check out the Silver 8/ Omnis for my back row (would you use the Silver SE ?)--

The Silver Omni comes in many versions, all with the same drivers and cabinet volume, and the same sound. There's an InWall Sconce version, InRoom, InCorner, InCeiling, and InWall. They run $400 to $750 for the Sconce. The SE version comes in InWall, InCeiling, and InRoom (gorgeous!) and they run $800-$900. Instead of a very good Peerless woofer and decent Vifa tweeter, the Silver Omni SE products use expensive Seas drivers, very similar to what's in the Gold LCR. The subjective difference is greater detail, extension, and composure in the treble.

Quote:

I also am probably going to use a combination of Omniround8's and an in wall speaker for general home sound (mostly background listening)-- What do you think about the Bronze in wall Omni vs. the Omniround ?

The purpose of our InCeiling OmniRound series is to provide good sound in an engineered enclosure to keep sound from bleeding through to the rooms above. The InWall Bronze/4 Omni sounds far better, but it's small and doesn't play that loud. However, it has decent bass, and you could use a pair in a tiny audiophile system...they're that good. They just don't rock da house. I've used a pair of the InRooms in my 2-channel venue with an expensive front end, and unless they're pushed hard, they're superb.

Quote:

How does the Bronze compare with the Silver (in wall/ omni) ?

The InWall Silver/4 Omni has better bass extension, considerably higher sensitivity, and the result is it sounds as good as the Bronze, but it has an estimated 6 dB more output. That's big. For a scant fiddy bucks a speaker more, I would recommend you do the Silvers, unless the room is 12' x 14' or so.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #738 of 6308 Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM

Awesome info-- Thanks Paul.

It looks like i will have room to install in wall front channel speakers instead of the in ceiling mini LCR's--What do you reccommend instead of teh the mini LCR's that are a comparable price-- Bronze in wall LCR ?

thanks
post #739 of 6308 Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Awesome info-- Thanks Paul.

It looks like i will have room to install in wall front channel speakers instead of the in ceiling mini LCR's--What do you reccommend instead of teh the mini LCR's that are a comparable price-- Bronze in wall LCR ?

thanks

The InWall Bronze/4 LCR is the best Triad choice under $1,000 each for an inwall front home theater speaker (they're $700 each) because they have limited vertical directivity, good power handling, and fairly high sensitivity at 90 dB. With an 80 Hz crossover, they're very stout and they'll play to toasty levels.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #740 of 6308 Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM

And you think they are better than the mini LCR's ?
post #741 of 6308 Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

I should also include opening this up to "in room" options as the speakers will be behind cloth cabinets--- I assume i will be able to get a higher quality in room speaker at the same cost as the mini lcr ?
post #742 of 6308 Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I should also include opening this up to "in room" options as the speakers will be behind cloth cabinets--- I assume i will be able to get a higher quality in room speaker at the same cost as the mini lcr ?

"Better" depends upon the application. If size is important, the Mini is a great choice. They actually crank pretty good for their small size. If size is not as much of an issue, the moderately-sized Bronze LCRs have more headroom and output.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #743 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM

Hi, I’m setting up my living/TV room and would like your help. The system will be used for movies and music, probably a little more music then movies. I have enclosed two different drawings on what I have in mind on speaker location, but once I’m cutting holes in the wall I want to make sure it’s right before I start. The walls are just over 6” thick from front of plaster to back of cavity, so there is plenty of room there and the area for the fronts is new construction. One thing I should mention is that the plaster and lath are 2” thick, not sure if will create a problem with mounting. Looking forward to hearing your suggestion

Surrounds: In Wall Silver/4 Surrounds
Fronts: In Wall Silver/6 LCR
Center: On Wall Bronze LCR
Sub: Undecided
Receiver: Denon AVR-3808CI
LL
LL
post #744 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishPan View Post

Hi, I'm setting up my living/TV room and would like your help. The system will be used for movies and music, probably a little more music then movies. I have enclosed two different drawings on what I have in mind on speaker location, but once I'm cutting holes in the wall I want to make sure it's right before I start. The walls are just over 6 thick from front of plaster to back of cavity, so there is plenty of room there and the area for the fronts is new construction. One thing I should mention is that the plaster and lath are 2 thick, not sure if will create a problem with mounting. Looking forward to hearing your suggestion

With lathe and plaster, you may have to use longer mounting screws. You can get them at a hardware store, or talk to your authorized Triad dealer about ordering them. I'm not sure if we have longer screws all the time.

Your speaker and placement choices are good. You may have to set the OnWall Bronze LCR to 100 Hz so it will keep up with the Silver LCRs, but they use thre same tweeter and very similar Peerless woofers. Note that you can order the speakers, including the OnWall Bronze LCR, in any color at no additional charge. This makes for a nice custom look, and the speakers disappear in your peripheral vision if they match the wall.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #745 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 AM

So one location is not better then the other, sorry I just want to make sure it's right before I cut. Thanks for the quick reply
post #746 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have another small announcement...We have finally found a gloss black process, albeit an expensive one, that looks amazing, and we'll offer it on our OnWall Mini LCR 3.0 and OnWall Mini LCR 3.0 SE. (Also on the 2.0 and 2.0 SE when those speakers are available.) The option is done in America, and is hand-rubbed. The price is $600 to $1,200 retail, depending upon the speaker size. We can do custom quotes on any of our other speakers.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #747 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishPan View Post

So one location is not better then the other, sorry I just want to make sure it's right before I cut. Thanks for the quick reply

I'm sorry, I didn't look closely at the surrounds. The second option is better.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #748 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

What's the scoop on the new subs Triad is developing? Will they be available soon?
post #749 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Paul,

What's the scoop on the new subs Triad is developing? Will they be available soon?

The amps are done, and we're sorting out the usually DSP and software boogers. The enclosures and drivers are ready, but we have a few more grill issues. In other words, we're close; maybe an April 15th launch, which is good, because we are currently OUT of subs for the first time in my 13 years at Triad.

The new amps are beautiful, more powerful, and have extensive DSP, as I've mentioned before. The really good news is the new subs have 3-5 dB more output. I haven't hear the 1,000 watt 18" Platinum yet, but it should be a bad boy, and for only $2,500 with the plate amp, or $2,750 with the new RackAmp DSP. If I were in the market, I'd spend five large and get two 18s and 2,000 watts, you bet.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #750 of 6308 Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

The amps are done, and we're sorting out the usually DSP and software boogers. The enclosures and drivers are ready, but we have a few more grill issues. In other words, we're close; maybe an April 15th launch, which is good, because we are currently OUT of subs for the first time in my 13 years at Triad.

The new amps are beautiful, more powerful, and have extensive DSP, as I've mentioned before. The really good news is the new subs have 3-5 dB more output. I haven't hear the 1,000 watt 18" Platinum yet, but it should be a bad boy, and for only $2,500 with the plate amp, or $2,750 with the new RackAmp DSP. If I were in the market, I'd spend five large and get two 18s and 2,000 watts, you bet.

I know this is a stupid question to ask you this but how do you think these subs will stack up against the JL F113? I love my dual F113's but I don't think they don't move enough air for my taste. Maybe because their only 13" drivers but I have my eye out for other options to consider.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page