Triad Owner's Thread - Page 273 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 399Likes

post #8161 of 8186 Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
You could put it there. It might not give you the intended outcome.
I would use them as in-ceiling surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8162 of 8186 Old 08-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
I would use them as in-ceiling surrounds.
Would they be okay as in-ceiling surrounds? Would I have to buy any extra installation materials since they would go in-ceiling instead of in-wall?
post #8163 of 8186 Old 08-15-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 360
No extra installation materials, from what I can see, are needed -- assuming you have good solid sheet rock and can cut the whole at the right size, etc. But you are right: That is NOT how these are designed to be installed, and I would be a little nervous. I guess the better answer is: Triad doesn't make or offer anything extra or special to ceiling mount these in WALL speakers so you have to rely on the tabs designed for wall mounting.

But regarding sound quality:

They are sub optimal for in ceiling placement. The angled speakers from Triad are the ones you want most (which have been recommended above), for high end sound -- then, far down the list, those are followed by the circular co-axial ones (which is what I am using for Atmos). Either of these are designed for dispersion that makes sense in a ceiling location.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #8164 of 8186 Old 08-15-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4603 Post(s)
Liked: 2782
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
No extra installation materials, from what I can see, are needed -- assuming you have good solid sheet rock and can cut the whole at the right size, etc. But you are right: That is NOT how these are designed to be installed, and I would be a little nervous. I guess the better answer is: Triad doesn't make or offer anything extra or special to ceiling mount these in WALL speakers so you have to rely on the tabs designed for wall mounting.

They are sub optimal for in ceiling placement. The angled speakers from Triad are the ones you want most (which have been recommended above), for high end sound -- then, far down the list, those are followed by the circular co-axial ones (which is what I am using for Atmos). Either of these are designed for dispersion that makes sense in a ceiling location.
Yep. While Triad does not make a Gold, the Silver that I linked to would make excellent surround speakers. If we can help you, give us a call.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #8165 of 8186 Old 08-15-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yep. While Triad does not make a Gold, the Silver that I linked to would make excellent surround speakers.

mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
post #8166 of 8186 Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All. Is there a place in which I can find a general price list?

Specifically, I am looking for in-ceiling LCR speakers and wondering the basic price. I am comparing against the B&W CCM 7.4. Would anyone have any general comparisons between the two?

I have been looking for the frame options but can't find any good pics. Finally, any good images of the frames available? The ones immediately shown online aren't very attractive. Thanks.
post #8167 of 8186 Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 91
They look much better in person. See below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triad Grill Choices.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1607865  
post #8168 of 8186 Old 08-17-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
They look much better in person. See below:
Thank you!

Frameless is the immediate winner for me.

I'd like for the speakers to be invisible. There is no reason why anyone need to look at the ceiling!
post #8169 of 8186 Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldminer View Post
Thank you!

Frameless is the immediate winner for me.

I'd like for the speakers to be invisible. There is no reason why anyone need to look at the ceiling!
Then get them custom painted to match your ceiling.

mike@avscience.com
post #8170 of 8186 Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Would they be okay as in-ceiling surrounds? Would I have to buy any extra installation materials since they would go in-ceiling instead of in-wall?
Quote:

Triad's InCeiling products do not mount differently than the InWall products so no worries there -- and they're both sealed so insulated similarly -- the question is just whether the dispersion and if angled baffle is correct for the application.
nathan_h likes this.
post #8171 of 8186 Old 08-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Triad's InCeiling products do not mount differently than the InWall products so no worries there -- and they're both sealed so insulated similarly -- the question is just whether the dispersion and if angled baffle is correct for the application.
Thank you and everyone for their insight and help!
post #8172 of 8186 Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Can the Triad Bronze Powersub amplifier be used to power subwoofers from different companies?

I have a SpeakerCraft outdoor underground subwoofer that I need an amp for. Will Triads work? Any other suggestions?
post #8173 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Probably work okay but you should match the specs of the sub and amp. There are several geneartions of Speakercraft subs and several different iterations of Triad sub amps. Personally unless budget dictates itherwise, I'd probably get a professional Crown amp for such a sub. Much more bang for buck.

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #8174 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can the Triad Bronze Powersub amplifier be used to power subwoofers from different companies?

I have a SpeakerCraft outdoor underground subwoofer that I need an amp for. Will Triads work? Any other suggestions?
Yes it would power the sub, but it has been set up to match the specs of the Bronze sub driver.

mike@avscience.com
post #8175 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm still trying to figure out which in-walls I want for my living room which will be for music and movies. How do the Silver/4 Monitors compare to the Gold/4 Omni SE for 2 channel music and home theater uses? Will one work better than the other horizontally mounted as a center channel?
post #8176 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab325is View Post
I'm still trying to figure out which in-walls I want for my living room which will be for music and movies. How do the Silver/4 Monitors compare to the Gold/4 Omni SE for 2 channel music and home theater uses? Will one work better than the other horizontally mounted as a center channel?
Best if you can keep either of them vertical. Does the shorter height of the Silver (11-15/16") allow you to do so? If it does, then that is the route i would go.

mike@avscience.com
post #8177 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 AM

I don't think vertical is an option for either one. The bottom edge is about 7' above the floor.

How does the sound compare?
post #8178 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't think vertical is an option for either one. The bottom edge is about 7' above the floor.

How does the sound compare?
Horizontal dispersion will not be as good with speaker mounted horizontally, but sound quality would go to the Gold.

mike@avscience.com
post #8179 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM

If the sound quality of the Gold/4 Omni SE is better, why do the Silver/4 Monitors cost over twice as much?

Is it better to mount vertically despite how high they are off the floor? Should the Gold Omni SE be installed inverted so the tweeter is lower?
post #8180 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If the sound quality of the Gold/4 Omni SE is better, why do the Silver/4 Monitors cost over twice as much?

Is it better to mount vertically despite how high they are off the floor? Should the Gold Omni SE be installed inverted so the tweeter is lower?
Sorry, I got in a hurry and looked at the wrong speaker. I was comparing the Silver/4 Omni SE to the Gold/4 Omni SE. If you look at my post above I listed the height of the Silver as 11-15/16". That is Silver Omni SE height. The height of the Silver/4 Monitor is 19". The Silver Monitor is a much better speaker. It uses the Scan Speak driver and a better tweeter. Better power handling, higher SPL, higher sensitivity and better sound quality, while doing so. Sorry for the confusion.

mike@avscience.com
post #8181 of 8186 Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 98
AFAIK the Gold Omni SE uses the same tweeter as the Gold Monitor (and maybe the Silver Monitor) but it is the Scan Speak driver in the Monitor series that is upgraded over the Omni SE
post #8182 of 8186 Old Today, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've got a new suite of Triad speakers. Silver LCR and Bronze satellites. The cones all look like they are spattered with brown paint or dirt; see the photo of a new-in-box Bronze satellite cone. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7813.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1623913  
post #8183 of 8186 Old Today, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3188 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I've got a new suite of Triad speakers. Silver LCR and Bronze satellites. The cones all look like they are spattered with brown paint or dirt; see the photo of a new-in-box Bronze satellite cone. Is this normal?
Brand new? Send 'em back and say that's unacceptable. They'll make it right.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #8184 of 8186 Old Today, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Yes. That is the fibers strengthening the cone.

mike@avscience.com
post #8185 of 8186 Old Today, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Brand new? Send 'em back and say that's unacceptable. They'll make it right.
The next pair will be exactly the same. They are not defective.

mike@avscience.com
post #8186 of 8186 Old Today, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3188 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The next pair will be exactly the same. They are not defective.
Good to know. The cone material looks a little raw n' funky.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad