Triad Owner's Thread - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 412Likes

post #8221 of 8231 Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
I wonder how the GA10 will compare to my SpeakerCraft ASM6710BT with a lifetime warranty.
What is a GA10, and what does this statement have to do with Triad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It's Triad's new outdoor sub.
65Goat likes this.
post #8223 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
My theater room is installed, with a 7.1.4 Triad system. The fronts are In-Wall Silver/LCR 6. The subs are 2 x Bronze 10" and a Silver On-Wall 12".

My initial reaction is that the Triad speakers are significantly inferior to my SVS MTS speakers from 2010. I perceive a gap, a serious weakness, in lower mid-range, the bass-boosted male voice range in superhero movies, and in the handoff to the subs. And the subs are powerful enough to vibrate the room but seem a bit rumbly, not quite as crisp as I'm used too from my SVS PC12+.

My initial reaction might be wildly premature, since the audio is isn't tuned yet. It's had a once over with Audyssey and some by-ear adjustments by the tech. And the control is limited since my electronics is just a Marantz 7702mkII, and no DSP or graphic EQ to really dial it in.

Also possible, my SVS kit in the living room maybe has always had a mid-range push and the bass is turned up too high without me realizing it. It's just Audyssey tuned and the sub set to my taste. Maybe I'm used to overly bass-enhanced sound and so a neutral system sounds weak in comparison.

What I'm looking for is whether I'm experiencing a known Triad weakness, that even the Silver 6 in-walls don't too mid-range well. If so, I'd start looking for a LCR swap sooner than later. Or, maybe Triads are fine but my amplifier settings need tuning. Maybe even adding a unplanned DSP to dial things in.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Assuming they are appropriately sized for your room, and installed correctly, they should be neutral to your sources. Whether you like neutral is a different discussion.

How far do you sit from the front speakers?

What are the crossovers set at?

How large is the room overalll?

Is it sealed with doors or open to the rest of the house?

If you turn up the volume of the subwoofers, does that help?

Where are the subwoofers located in the room?

What kind of room treatment do you have?
Also without speaker, not room response measurements, you will not know for sure, but I doubt the problem is the speakers not having a good anechoic measurement.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
post #8224 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Thanks Dawn!

I like the flexibility of the RotaSat to rotate but the gooseneck design looks gimmicky; I am no speaker design expert but doesn't the changing distance from tweeter to mid defeat some (perhaps negligible?) part of the crossover? Maybe a good tradeoff for being able to aim the tweeter directly at the MLP tho...
The tweeter is centered, so it is a simple matter of adjusting delay in the crossover. Less crossover work than a tweeter that is beside the woofer. Makes the speaker more point source, which is a good thing.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
post #8225 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy 4 of the bronze atmos modules for ontop of my triangle speakers in my living room. hopefully audessey can help with the timbre matching of the 2 different speaker brands.

I am going to use the internal amps of the marantz 6011 to power them. The front set will be 11 feet from the main listening position and the rear pair will be about 6 feet from the main listening position.

Are the bronzes going to be powerful enough to reach these distances. i have 9 foot ceilings. I have read when bouncing some speakers need to be closer to the MLP cause they aren't powerful enough.

I can't fit the silvers cause they are 3/4 inch too wide. the driver sizes are only 1 inch diff and they are both small to begin with anyway.

I thought about the PSB ones but I really wanted to stick with triad cause I know if the triangles ever go they will be replaced with triads

Some insight would be great. I really hope I'm not throwing money away.

jim

PS my only other solution would be to mount speakers higher angled towards the main listening position which would mean 4 speakers at about 8.5 high inline with my fronts and 2 in the rear inline with my rears. my wife will absolutely flip s&%t if i mention it cause it's out main living room.
post #8226 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The tweeter is centered, so it is a simple matter of adjusting delay in the crossover. Less crossover work than a tweeter that is beside the woofer. Makes the speaker more point source, which is a good thing.
So the RotoSat has an adjustable crossover in the speaker itself?

Current theater & gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #8227 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So the RotoSat has an adjustable crossover in the speaker itself?
No I was just answering the question regarding the speakers design.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
mike@avscience.com
post #8228 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Assuming they are appropriately sized for your room, and installed correctly, they should be neutral to your sources. Whether you like neutral is a different discussion.

How far do you sit from the front speakers?

What are the crossovers set at?

How large is the room overalll?

Is it sealed with doors or open to the rest of the house?

If you turn up the volume of the subwoofers, does that help?

Where are the subwoofers located in the room?

What kind of room treatment do you have?
Front seats are about 8' from the front wall speakers. The room is closed about 15' wide x 30' deep. The dual 10" subs are in the front wall, the 12" on-wall is in the right side. I don't know the crossovers. Presumably 80 Hz.

The sound is going to be calibrated, within my Marantz 7720mkII capability, next week. For my listening volume and preferences, increasing sub relative volume to boost the low might help.

Since I was buying 'sound unheard', I did my internet research (including conversations on this thread) and got very positive recommendations for Triad. And my installer uses them and he cares about sonics. But my initial impression was a disappointment after six years with SVS, perhaps particularly the full-range towers and center surrounds that have a 65Hz rolloff. The Triads seemed to be missing that crucial strength in handoff to the subs.

Hopefully I'm hyperventilating over nothing, and once dialed in they will be a superb experience. (And I can't afford to swap Silver LCR for Gold LCR.)
post #8229 of 8231 Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

That should be a workable system.

If you need more fullness, raise the crossover to 100 or 120.

Three subs are a challenge. Two or four well placed subs is much easier. But if your calibrator is good with adjusting phase, it can be done well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Front seats are about 8' from the front wall speakers. The room is closed about 15' wide x 30' deep. The dual 10" subs are in the front wall, the 12" on-wall is in the right side. I don't know the crossovers. Presumably 80 Hz.

The sound is going to be calibrated, within my Marantz 7720mkII capability, next week. For my listening volume and preferences, increasing sub relative volume to boost the low might help.

Since I was buying 'sound unheard', I did my internet research (including conversations on this thread) and got very positive recommendations for Triad. And my installer uses them and he cares about sonics. But my initial impression was a disappointment after six years with SVS, perhaps particularly the full-range towers and center surrounds that have a 65Hz rolloff. The Triads seemed to be missing that crucial strength in handoff to the subs.

Hopefully I'm hyperventilating over nothing, and once dialed in they will be a superb experience. (And I can't afford to swap Silver LCR for Gold LCR.)

post #8230 of 8231 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting some of the older on wall bronze LCR speakers soon. These are from before the 2011 update, that put the knob for securing them into the front of the cabinet. These have the knob behind a removable panel at the top and the bottom. They have metal grills, so that are not super old.

I need to find a source for a bracket since the current owner appears to have lost them.

They look similar to these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5539.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1691905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1692089  

Last edited by nathan_h; Yesterday at 01:46 PM.
post #8231 of 8231 Old Today, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Nathan,

I spoke to Triad on your behalf, and unfortunately they don't have the brackets or the caps any longer.

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page