Triad Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Member
 
amidcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, that red rosewood looks awesome.....

I'm interested in seeing if I can get my center channel to match the furniture it'll be sitting on.

I realize no 2 pieces of wood are the same and it won't match 100%...not sure how I could get a sample out to my dealer without sending in a piece of furniture though!

It's a darker 'ash' I think....could someone take a look at the attached photos and just let me know if there's something close to this available in vaneer? Otherwise I'll just go gloss black to at least match my Sharp TV
amidcars is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ttowntony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Tony, this one's for you.

Your room turned out great congrats. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
ttowntony is offline  
post #813 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ttowntony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


It's a darker 'ash' I think....could someone take a look at the attached photos and just let me know if there's something close to this available in vaneer?

Oops, I do not see the attachment.

Triad will do their best to match just about any finish. A color sample makes their job much easier, though. I've seen them match things perfectly.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
ttowntony is offline  
post #814 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ttowntony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Queen, our Triad Gold room is now complete except for some minor details. All-in-all the project was a huge success and I am very happy in how I designed the room and the end result.

Bravo to the Triad Gold LCR's and dual Triad Gold subs. This room has exceeded all my expectations in terms of sound quality and abundance of room filling joy. The Gold system was the perfect choice for our room.

Project Start


After Demolition


Project 85% Complete


I still have photos to download from my iPhone. When I find the time, I'll update all with the final end result that show the projector and screen installation and the rear of the room with bar and poker table areas. But, for now Enjoy!

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
ttowntony is offline  
post #815 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I doubt many of you (if any) know about a program Triad has had for about a year, which uses your authorized Triad dealer and an outside firm, PMI, to develop and implement the best possible theater experience for a specific room. It's called CinemaPlus. There are three packages right now; one with Gold Monitors, and two with Platinum LCRs. The packages include custom design and detailed plans, done by the engineers at PMI, all custom acostical materials, and the appropriate Triad fronts, surrounds, and subs. Consultaion from PMI is also included. Your dealer does the installation and provides all the other components (video, screen, electronics, wire, labor, etc.), and the dealer also sells you the CinemaPlus package. Results so far have been outstanding, with some of the best theatre sound, and at costs far less than theaters I've heard that don't even approach these results in terms of sound quality.

PMI was founded in 1999 by Tony Grimani, who is an industry icon. I met Tony in 1991 when he was the head of worldwide licensing for THX, and I toured Skywalker Ranch with him when he worked there. Since 1999, he has used Triad speakers in many installations, and he believes in us and our ability to do custom work, so this partnership was a natural.

Here's the CinemaPlus link from our website, and there's an example of jobs. http://www.triadspeakers.com/pmi.html

System 1 is for dedicated rooms of 2,000 to 3,000 cubic feet. The Triad speakers are three Gold Monitors (InRoom or InWall), four Gold Surrounds, and four Bronze Subs, each with a new RackAmp 300 DSP. The cost is $44,050 for the speakers, design, consultation, and acoustical materials.

System 2 is for 3,000 to 6,000 cubic feet, and it includes three Platinum LCRs, six Gold Surrounds, and eight custom versions of Silver Subs, each with a RackAmp 500 DSP. (That's 8-12" drivers and a real 4,000 watts.) $76,650 for the speakers, design, consultation, and acoustical materials.

System 3 is for rooms 6,000 to 12,000 cubic feet. It uses three Platinum LCRs, six Gold Surrounds, and twelve custom versions of Silver Subs. This system is $92,850.

Because these are performance-oriented, dedicated rooms, all systems are to be used with acoustically transparent screens, with vertically-aligned fronts, built into the walls. Actually, all the speakers are built in, as you can see from the picture in the link above. (I believe that custom system had sixteen 10" Bronze subs, for very even, extended bass.)

If you're interested in have a spectacular theater that turns out right, contact your Triad dealer and investigate CinemaPlus. You deal with just your Triad dealer, and he handles the rest. It's easy, and the results are amazing.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention another great source for a gonzo Triad theater room, Dennis Erskine. He has engineered and designed dozens of rooms utilizing Triad speakers, with superb results. He designed my acoustical materials for my theater, which sounds excellent. I recommend him highly, as well.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #816 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Queen...AWESOME! Your new theater is better than mine...so now it's time for me to tear things up again...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #817 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
jclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

Wow, that red rosewood looks awesome.....

I'm interested in seeing if I can get my center channel to match the furniture it'll be sitting on.

I realize no 2 pieces of wood are the same and it won't match 100%...not sure how I could get a sample out to my dealer without sending in a piece of furniture though!

It's a darker 'ash' I think....could someone take a look at the attached photos and just let me know if there's something close to this available in vaneer? Otherwise I'll just go gloss black to at least match my Sharp TV

I don't see the photos either, so I don't know what kind of furniture, but is there a door or drawer front you could send to Triad or give to your dealer?
jclem is offline  
post #818 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
queendvd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

Wow, that red rosewood looks awesome.....

Thanks amidcars. And actually, it's FJP with a faux cherry wood finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Your room turned out great congrats. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Thanks Tony. Yours is looking great too. I'd love to see the final photos, but come on Tony, try not to shake when you take the photo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Queen...AWESOME! Your new theater is better than mine...so now it's time for me to tear things up again...

Thanks again Paul. It was very long journey, but now I can finally rest and just hang in the HT .
queendvd2 is offline  
post #819 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ttowntony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Thanks Tony. Yours is looking great too. I'd love to see the final photos, but come on Tony, try not to shake when you take the photo .

It's not me, it's my crappy Olympus cameras. I will never buy another Olympus camera!!!! I have two that lasted maybe a year tops, then they pooh-pooh out......junk!

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
ttowntony is offline  
post #820 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

It's not me, it's my crappy Olympus cameras. I will never buy another Olympus camera!!!! I have two that lasted maybe a year tops, then they pooh-pooh out......junk!

Sure. Sure. Blame the equipment.



Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #821 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
jclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

It's not me, it's my crappy Olympus cameras. I will never buy another Olympus camera!!!! I have two that lasted maybe a year tops, then they pooh-pooh out......junk!

'Tis a poor craftsman, who blames his tools!!
jclem is offline  
post #822 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

'Tis a poor craftsman, who blames his tools!!

Sounds like a finish carpenter talking there...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #823 of 6311 Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Speaking of matching veneer, here's a picture Mike in Louisiana posted a year ago. (I hope he doesn't mind I'm posting it again.) We matched InRoom Gold LCRs to his gorgeous architectural millwork, and we got it right, methinks...


Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #824 of 6311 Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Newbie
 
Lobbster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your quick reply and picking up on the center LCR - I did mean horizontal. Two more questions if you don't mind:

What is the difference between the Silver Omni's vs Gold - price and performance wise. I think I read somewhere that Gold was a better match for Bronze LCR's ?

As for a Sub, I haven't figured out whether to go in-room or in-wall. I personally like the idea of in-ceiling - but have to see what the wife thinks first. This is a delicate point because (and I don't know about most wive's, but mine) she hates big bass - therefore I just might avoid the conversation and go in room. But, just in case - how do you determine the best location for an in-ceiling sub ?

As for custom painting the on-walls, same problem as above. I'm thinking leaving them in the Aluminum finish because no sooner do they get custom painted than the wife decides to change the color & repaint the room !

Thanks for your help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Use whatever version of the Bronze LCR that will get it physically as close to the bottom of the TV as possible. You can mount it horizontally. (That is not the most egregious sin known to man.) Order the OnWall Bronze LCRs custom paint matched (it's free.) I'd have them done the exact color of the wall so they disappear out of your peripheral vision. Don't make the mistake everyone makes of putting black speakers next to a flat screen on a white wall.

Lobbster is offline  
post #825 of 6311 Old 04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobbster View Post

What is the difference between the Silver Omni's vs Gold - price and performance wise. I think I read somewhere that Gold was a better match for Bronze LCR's ?

The Silver Omnis are a bit more sensitive, and the Gold Omni has more extension and is fuller. Whether or not the Gold would be better would be determined by the application. The InWall Gold/4 Omni at $500 is $50 more than the Silver Omni. The ceiling version of the Gold Omni is $600, and the Silver is $50 less.

Quote:


But, just in case - how do you determine the best location for an in-ceiling sub ?

If you use one, put it as close to the front wall as you can. Mine in my office is at the third-wave, but I would space multiples differently.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #826 of 6311 Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ifor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Quinta, CA
Posts: 2,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
We just received a pair of Platinum LCR's and I have to say WOW! Amazing sound. We had to play with the toe in for a while but once we had it, everything came together.

Huge dynamic range and great imaging, something I was a little worried about with the horn tweeters, but great depth and vocal realism.

We compared them to the Gold LCR's and the Gold Monitors. And while the Gold LCR's have good dynamics the Gold Monitors have better midrange and top end while the Platinums have both of the best of each of these speakers.
ifor is offline  
post #827 of 6311 Old 04-25-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

We just received a pair of Platinum LCR's and I have to say WOW! Amazing sound. We had to play with the toe in for a while but once we had it, everything came together.

Huge dynamic range and great imaging, something I was a little worried about with the horn tweeters, but great depth and vocal realism.

We compared them to the Gold LCR's and the Gold Monitors. And while the Gold LCR's have good dynamics the Gold Monitors have better midrange and top end while the Platinums have both of the best of each of these speakers.

The "horn" always worries people, until they realize it isn't a horn, really. It's a high-end soft-dome tweeter behind a dispersion control lens. This reduces the vertical dispersion angle for less room interactions, but it does something else that's even better. Because of "horn gain" (about 8 dB at the crossover point), the tweeter diaphragm excursion is minimal, which means tons of handling capacity and effortless highs. On program material, this tweeter is about impossible to blow. The 10" drivers and 5.25" drivers give out first, but you don't notice because of the blood streaming from both of your ears at that point.

I have Gold Monitors now, after having the first two Platinums ever made for three years, and I am tempted to go back to the newer, improved versions of the InRoom Platinum LCR. Once you've been exposed to really neutral, detailed, delicate sound, you are spoiled. Once you've been exposed to unlimited dynamics and output, you're spoiled. I still maintain the Platinum LCR is the only speaker on the market that does both. The only downside is three of them in the paint finish puts you back $21,000, and $23,700 for bookmatched, color-matched wood veneer. I think they're a bargain, and actually cheap for the performance.

Yeah, I'm biased, but this is the Triad thread...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #828 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
We're still shooting the new subs, but I thought you'd like to see what the style is. Here's an InRoom Bronze DSP Sub, with the onboard 300 watt amplifier. We will start shipping all models this week, in limited supplies, and we should be up to speed within two weeks. There are seventeen new products, including all the subs and three new RackAmps.


Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #829 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Member
 
js19707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Paul (et al)

I have a largeish (~20' x ~40') great room which encompasses my living room, kitchen and dining area. my 60" plasma is mounted at one end and i'm in need of HT speakers. i've been reading up on triad speakers here on AVS and am very interested

here are the relevant parameters:
  • my tentative budget is ~5k for speakers.
  • the floors are hardwood, and i have 9' ceilings.
  • the walls are all 2x4, and the wall the plasma is mounted to is a shear wall (braced with plywood) AFAICT.
  • seating distance is 13-15' from the screen (we're still playing w/ position of the sofa).
  • due to WAF and (very) active cats, i need to go with onwall or inwall LCR, and in-ceiling surrounds (no back wall and no good place to put side speakers).
  • the use will probably be 70% movies/tv and 30% music.
  • amplification: i recently bought an emotiva upa-7 when they were on sale, but if this proves to be inadequate to drive the load, i am still well within my 30d home trial period.

see the attached picture for details of the room layout and seating.

i'd love some recommendations for the triad speakers and placement that would be best for my room and are close to my budget. given what i've seen in this thread for triad pricing, i'm thinking i might go 3.2 or 5.1 now with plans for 7.2 later. i may also be able to scrape up a little more money, but i probably can't go 2x on the budget right now.

also note: i've also indicated two red dots on the diagram for the planned location of whole-house-audio speakers. my current plan is to use thespeakercompany's NTIC8 (rebadged MB Quart Alexxa) there, as i'm planning to use their 5.25s or 6.5s throughout the rest of the house (i'm trying to hit ~$200-250/pr price point). the whole house audio system is a NuVo GrandConcerto (class D, claims 40wpc but i can't find detailed specs on the amp). I'm not sure whether there is any issue mixing triad speakers and whole house audio speakers in the same large room this way--would they sound 'funny' if they were running at the same time? if so, and i find this out soon, i could change the plans and substitute in another set of speakers and possibly an external amp in order to better match the speakers at the other end of the great room.

any advice and tips would be very appreciated! thanks,
--jay
LL
js19707 is online now  
post #830 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ttowntony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You have lots of options to go either in-ceiling, in-wall or a combination. Given your price point here are two options, but there are more we can get you into t meet a price point or performance need.

InWall Silver/6 LCR $1100ea
InCeiling Silver/8 Omni $550ea

or

InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR $800ea
InCeiling Silver/8 Omni $550ea

You are on the right path with Triad.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
ttowntony is offline  
post #831 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
js19707...

It looks like you have 4" stud depth, so Tony's suggestion of InWall Silver/6 LCR should probably be an InWall Silver/4 LCR.

After studying your drawing (that's a wonderful living space), I would go with Tony's surround advice; two InCeiling Silver/8 Omnis, for $1,100 total. I would do three InWall Bronze/4 LCRs, though, ($1,800 for all three) to stay on budget and allow for a decent sub.

There are two interesting new sub options that we have. One is the 4" deep InWall SlimSub/4, which provides decent bass when used as a single 10". The good thing is you can use two of them on one amp, and I know of no better solution in a 4" stud space with a flush grill. Two SlimSubs with the 300 watt amp are $1,800, and with the 500 watt amp, $2,000.

Another option, priced the same, is the new InCeiling Mini/8 Sub. Bass is about the same as the SlimSub, only these go in the ceiling, as close to the wall as possible. I'd out them in the corners behind your front speakers.

If you can place a sub in the room, I would do the InRoom Gold DSP Sub for $2,250 (15" driver and a real 1,000 watt built-in amp), and have it paint matched (if you want) to your wall color to help it disappear. It looks like the Bronze I posted above. This will outperform the other options I've stated, but if you have to build subs in, look at my other suggestions.

Another comment: If the space to be filled is huge, but the seating area is close to the front speakers, I tend to recommend using the budget a bit less for the fronts, and more for the subs. You'll be able to play Bronze LCRs pretty loud at that distance, but filling that big space requires more or bigger subs.

Make sure you use the color matching option (free) for the built-in speakers, at least. It makes for a really finished, custom look. I hate the term "Wife Acceptance Factor," but the speakers really do blend into the venue seamlessly.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #832 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Member
 
js19707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tony, Paul

thank you both so much for the suggestions!

Sorry, as an audio n00b, I have a few follow-up questions:
  • Do I need to worry about mixing these suggested Triad speakers with the in-ceiling whole-house-audio speakers (tSc NTIC8) in the Kitchen area? I'm not sure how it would all sound if I have (the same) music playing in both zones. I'd rather scrape together a bit more money for nicer speakers (or delay the install of the whole house audio) than have to replace these speakers later because the music sounds very different at the two ends of the room.
  • Do I need to worry about driving the Silver/8 Omni with the Emotiva upa-7 given the maximum power rating of 80W (8 ohms)? Ditto the 150W rating of the Bronze/4 LCR (4 ohms)? it looks like the upa-7 can exceed this, is this just a matter of not letting the volume get too loud?
  • I've seen your recommendations of vertical orientation for your LCRs including the center speaker. With a wall-mounted plasma, it seems I would either have to mount all three InWall LCRs speakers vertically below the height of the plasma (i.e. closer to the floor) or above the plasma (well above ear-level)--what's the better height? Looking at the width and given 16"OC, I'm not sure I could fit a horizontally-oriented Bronze/4 LCR without some significant rework of the studs (this is likely a load-bearing wall) so that's probably out. Given what you know about the room, how do these InWall options compare with the suggested InCeiling Bronze LCR or an OnWall option (Onwall Mini LCR 3.0SE? Onwall Bronze LCR?)
  • If I went with an InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR, what would be the proper location to install given the seating distance? If the angle of the baffle is 30 degrees, if I wanted the sound to be aimed at the listener's ear-level when seated a 9-foot-ceiling room, the distance btwn the speaker and the seating would have to be ~10.4' (assuming I still remember my high-school trig)?
  • If I went with 1 or 2 InWall SlimSub/4, where would you recommend placing it/them?
js19707 is online now  
post #833 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
[quote=js19707;16354091]Tony, Paul

thank you both so much for the suggestions!

Sorry, as an audio n00b, I have a few follow-up questions:

[*] Do I need to worry about mixing these suggested Triad speakers with the in-ceiling whole-house-audio speakers (tSc NTIC8) in the Kitchen area? I'm not sure how it would all sound if I have (the same) music playing in both zones. I'd rather scrape together a bit more money for nicer speakers (or delay the install of the whole house audio) than have to replace these speakers later because the music sounds very different at the two ends of the room.[/quote
The main difference will be the lack of fullness from the ceiling speakers. It's nice to have a similar sound all over the house, but practically speaking, that can get expensive.
Quote:


[*] Do I need to worry about driving the Silver/8 Omni with the Emotiva upa-7 given the maximum power rating of 80W (8 ohms)? Ditto the 150W rating of the Bronze/4 LCR (4 ohms)? it looks like the upa-7 can exceed this, is this just a matter of not letting the volume get too loud?

No problemo. That amp will make your speakers sing.
Quote:


[*] I've seen your recommendations of vertical orientation for your LCRs including the center speaker. With a wall-mounted plasma, it seems I would either have to mount all three InWall LCRs speakers vertically below the height of the plasma (i.e. closer to the floor) or above the plasma (well above ear-level)--what's the better height? Looking at the width and given 18"OC, I'm not sure I could fit a horizontally-oriented Bronze/4 LCR without some significant rework of the studs (this is likely a load-bearing wall) so that's probably out. Given what you know about the room, how do these InWall options compare with the suggested InCeiling Bronze LCR or an OnWall option (Onwall Mini LCR 3.0SE? Onwall Bronze LCR?)

You could always do an OnWall Bronze LCR, mounted horizontally.
Quote:


[*] If I went with an InCeiling Bronze/8 LCR, what would be the proper location to install given the seating distance? If the angle of the baffle is 30 degrees, if I wanted the sound to be aimed at the listener's ear-level when seated a 9-foot-ceiling room, the distance btwn the speaker and the seating would have to be ~10.4' (assuming I still remember my high-school trig)?

You remember trig, and all I can remember is two blonde cheerleaders. The listening window is fairly broad. Mount the speakers (id you do InCeiling) a few feet out from the wall the TV is near and you'll be okay.
Quote:


[*] If I went with 1 or 2 InWall SlimSub/4, where would you recommend placing it/them?

For that room, you need two SlimSubs with the RackAmp 500 DSP. Those subs aren't ground-pounders, but they add some nice bottom. They have to be mounted near the floor on the front wall, in my opinion, or near the front wall on an adjacent wall. Near the floor, and near the corner helps, too.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #834 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajun_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Speaking of matching veneer, here's a picture Mike in Louisiana posted a year ago. (I hope he doesn't mind I'm posting it again.) We matched InRoom Gold LCRs to his gorgeous architectural millwork, and we got it right, methinks...


Hey, my speakers.. No problem using the pics.. let me know if you need me to take more.

I'm about to begin construction of my new home and one of the bedrooms is going to be a small media room. I did consult with PMI but after comparing pricing, I have decided to go with the Erskine group. About to shoot him the contract. Prather Warren with Innovative Home Media in Baton Rouge will also be involved as I'm going to get him to prewire the home with the possibility of some whole house audio being done.

Anyways, I plan to add to my Triad system and it looks like I checked this thread at the right time as I'm going to need multiple subs and I like what I see you posted here.
Cajun_Mike is offline  
post #835 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
jclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

We're still shooting the new subs, but I thought you'd like to see what the style is. Here's an InRoom Bronze DSP Sub, with the onboard 300 watt amplifier. We will start shipping all models this week, in limited supplies, and we should be up to speed within two weeks. There are seventeen new products, including all the subs and three new RackAmps.


Those are very nice looking. They should go a long way in the WAF department. Are those back corners rounded? Also, did you say (somewhere) that the grills are metal and therefore can be spray painted if so desired? Thanks

Speaking of nice looking, those speakers and matching stands that you pictured in post #823 are gorgeous!! Truly furniture quality.
Oops, apparently while I was typing, Mike, the owner of those speakers, was posting, so now they are reposted in #834
jclem is offline  
post #836 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajun_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

Those are very nice looking. They should go a long way in the WAF department. Are those back corners rounded? Also, did you say (somewhere) that the grills are metal and therefore can be spray painted if so desired? Thanks

Speaking of nice looking, those speakers and matching stands that you pictured in post #823 are gorgeous!! Truly furniture quality.

Thank you. If you like that color, ask for Red Rosewood.

Very rich looking and looks especially good in homes with traditional furnishings. Big speakers with the matching stands but the rich looking veneer carries a big WAF.
Cajun_Mike is offline  
post #837 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Member
 
HiddenHills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just heard the platinums on sunday. Amazing experience and I can't wait to hear them in a HT.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1240891933
HiddenHills is offline  
post #838 of 6311 Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
IHM
Member
 
IHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I doubt many of you (if any) know about a program Triad has had for about a year, which uses your authorized Triad dealer and an outside firm, PMI, to develop and implement the best possible theater experience for a specific room. It's called CinemaPlus. There are three packages right now; one with Gold Monitors, and two with Platinum LCRs. The packages include custom design and detailed plans, done by the engineers at PMI, all custom acostical materials, and the appropriate Triad fronts, surrounds, and subs. Consultaion from PMI is also included. Your dealer does the installation and provides all the other components (video, screen, electronics, wire, labor, etc.), and the dealer also sells you the CinemaPlus package. Results so far have been outstanding, with some of the best theatre sound, and at costs far less than theaters I've heard that don't even approach these results in terms of sound quality.

PMI was founded in 1999 by Tony Grimani, who is an industry icon. I met Tony in 1991 when he was the head of worldwide licensing for THX, and I toured Skywalker Ranch with him when he worked there. Since 1999, he has used Triad speakers in many installations, and he believes in us and our ability to do custom work, so this partnership was a natural.

Here's the CinemaPlus link from our website, and there's an example of jobs. http://www.triadspeakers.com/pmi.html

System 1 is for dedicated rooms of 2,000 to 3,000 cubic feet. The Triad speakers are three Gold Monitors (InRoom or InWall), four Gold Surrounds, and four Bronze Subs, each with a new RackAmp 300 DSP. The cost is $44,050 for the speakers, design, consultation, and acoustical materials.

System 2 is for 3,000 to 6,000 cubic feet, and it includes three Platinum LCRs, six Gold Surrounds, and eight custom versions of Silver Subs, each with a RackAmp 500 DSP. (That's 8-12" drivers and a real 4,000 watts.) $76,650 for the speakers, design, consultation, and acoustical materials.

System 3 is for rooms 6,000 to 12,000 cubic feet. It uses three Platinum LCRs, six Gold Surrounds, and twelve custom versions of Silver Subs. This system is $92,850.

Because these are performance-oriented, dedicated rooms, all systems are to be used with acoustically transparent screens, with vertically-aligned fronts, built into the walls. Actually, all the speakers are built in, as you can see from the picture in the link above. (I believe that custom system had sixteen 10" Bronze subs, for very even, extended bass.)

If you're interested in have a spectacular theater that turns out right, contact your Triad dealer and investigate CinemaPlus. You deal with just your Triad dealer, and he handles the rest. It's easy, and the results are amazing.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention another great source for a gonzo Triad theater room, Dennis Erskine. He has engineered and designed dozens of rooms utilizing Triad speakers, with superb results. He designed my acoustical materials for my theater, which sounds excellent. I recommend him highly, as well.

Paul
FYI - I am in the beginning stages of building a System 2 CinemaPlus Theater in my home/showroom in Baton Rouge. PMI has completed the design. The addition to my home, that will house the custom designed and sized room, will begin within the next two weeks. I will share photos and information over the next few months as the project progresses. I invite anyone who would like to experience the "Ultimate Triad Experience" to travel to Baton Rouge once the theater is completed. Bring your own popcorn and seatbelt.

Prather Warren
Innovative Home Media
IHM is offline  
post #839 of 6311 Old 04-28-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

Those are very nice looking. They should go a long way in the WAF department. Are those back corners rounded? Also, did you say (somewhere) that the grills are metal and therefore can be spray painted if so desired? Thanks

The corners have a large radius, yes. Also, if you want the grills painted, give us the paint number or a sample, and we'll do it at the factory. Once painted, they don't re-paint well, so we recommend you don't spray them in the field. They'll look like ass. I call it "The Krylon Nightmare."

Quote:


Speaking of nice looking, those speakers and matching stands that you pictured in post #823 are gorgeous!! Truly furniture quality.
Oops, apparently while I was typing, Mike, the owner of those speakers, was posting, so now they are reposted in #834

Mike was great to deal with, and I love how his Gold LCRs turned out. Thanks for letting me use the pic!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #840 of 6311 Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHills View Post

Just heard the platinums on sunday. Amazing experience and I can't wait to hear them in a HT.

You have convinced me to switch back to Platinum LCRs in my theater. Damn you!!

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off