Triad Owner's Thread - Page 287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 498Likes

Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 180
any ideas on grill replacements for on-walls? Reached out to Triad and they referred me to my "dealer" - I bought all my stuff used so I have no idea who that is supposed to be.

They also said there are a number of different designs for on walls so finding replacement grills could be tricky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Triad does offer this as an InRoom center and also as an InWall custom product. I agree that they should probably make these as InWalls from the start.

As far as grills go. I'm a Triad dealer and I can help you with that. Contact me through PM or email and I'll also try to find you a local dealer if you like..
Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTeDoGG View Post
I wonder how big the difference would be. Pretty much the only way to use an LCR for C without turning it 90 is an AT screen. which has its own set of issues (moire, brightness loss). With the center being the most important speaker for HT, I wonder why Triad doesn't offer a speaker designed to be used for a center with the long dimension parallel to the floor? Is Triad's official stance that using the LCR on its side is suboptimal?
Triad makes specialized center speakers for use horizontally. They definitely recognize the need to design for that use. A couple of examples:

http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...r-gold-center/

http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...bronze-center/

EDIT: Dawn jumped in ahead of me with the info. What she didn't mention but implied is that Triad will custom make a center in-wall as well. A cheaper approach, get one of their non-dappolito speakers for the center, like:

http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...6-minimonitor/

http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...4-minimonitor/

Buy some Triad speakers.
Check out my current theater & gear.
Listen to the best movie review podcast, the /filmcast.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 06-20-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Triad does offer this as an InRoom center and also as an InWall custom product. I agree that they should probably make these as InWalls from the start.
Ah... damn. I had no idea that center was an option for InWall, else I would have surely gotten that instead. That is kind of a bummer considering what it took to ship and import my Triads to Croatia.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Triad makes specialized center speakers for use horizontally. They definitely recognize the need to design for that use.
What upsets me is that none are marketed for InWall. I never knew it was possible to have an InRoom made as an InWall.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What upsets me is that none are marketed for InWall. I never knew it was possible to have an InRoom made as an InWall.
That is unfortunate. Not devastating if you are sitting in the center seat but if you get a chance down the road, you might also consider:

Which doesn't have the limitations.

Buy some Triad speakers.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

I feel bad that you didn't know. The only thing I can say is that Triad is a custom speaker company. If you go to the "Why Triad" page you'll see that they do make custom speakers. Also keep in mind that there is an upcharge for custom speakers.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/why-triad-2/

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is unfortunate. Not devastating if you are sitting in the center seat but if you get a chance down the road, you might also consider:

Which doesn't have the limitations.
Thanks. I have a 6" deep wall, so it would be a little wasteful to only use 4". Maybe the InRoom built as an InWall would be larger than 6", in which case it wasn't an option for me anyway (still would like to see it as an official option!). I do sit in the center and the rotated LCR will probably sound fine as you say. It would have to sound bad to go to the cost and trouble of replacing it, repairing the wall, etc. FWIW, here's my layout:

The screen wall has 3 Silver/6 LCRs and 2 Bronze/6 subs. I know the surrounds are a little far back. We have concrete ceilings and had to build a faux beam, which would have looked odd any nearer to the screen. Can see that here:

After months of having the speakers sit around waiting on construction, I'm very anxious to give them a try! My latest issue is that I have double drywall + green glue. I was able to mount the LCRs and surrounds, but the Bronze subs start their threads a little further into the speaker and the stock screws don't reach. Ever try to find a 2" UNC #8 imperial screw in Europe? It's nearly impossible. I think I'll cut the back side of the drywall to thin it enough to catch a few turns.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 147
How about the Omni SE mounted upside-down?

Due to plumbing in the wall I was only able to get the tweeters somewhat close to ear-level (~5 inches above at 8.5' away) with the speaker upside-down -- I'll test it if I ever get a quiet afternoon but will the difference be audible?

--
Σ Info: Δ 8.5' viewing distance AT screen fabrics comparison
Σ Builds: Δ HT 2.0 renovation with acoustic coffered ceiling (in progress, 10% completed)
Δ Variable-aspect screen with motorized masking (on hold, have parts)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I have a 6" deep wall, so it would be a little wasteful to only use 4". Maybe the InRoom built as an InWall would be larger than 6", in which case it wasn't an option for me anyway (still would like to see it as an official option!). I do sit in the center and the rotated LCR will probably sound fine as you say. It would have to sound bad to go to the cost and trouble of replacing it, repairing the wall, etc.
Using a 4" deep speaker is not a waste, since they increase the size in other ways to create the same/correct internal volume for optimum response. But yes, if you decide to order a custom speaker, and have more space, then you have more options about size.

If I were you, and things were already installed/purchased, I would live with it for now and see if you have any problems or concerns after real world listening. Since you sit on center, you may not have much trouble.

Buy some Triad speakers.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I'll cut the back side of the drywall to thin it enough to catch a few turns.
Yes, trim back a little of that second layer of drywall, to make things work, and you should be fine, imo.

--

By the way, that's a very nice looking setup/arrangement. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Buy some Triad speakers.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I feel bad that you didn't know. The only thing I can say is that Triad is a custom speaker company. If you go to the "Why Triad" page you'll see that they do make custom speakers. Also keep in mind that there is an upcharge for custom speakers.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/why-triad-2/

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Thanks Dawn, but don't feel bad. My local dealer should have told me about, he should feel bad. The factory tour video on that page you linked is really neat, and you're right that it does make it clear they can make anything.

Quote:
By the way, that's a very nice looking setup/arrangement. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Thanks! It's been many months of planning, work, coordination, making messes, cleaning up, and making more messes. Moving in day will be glorious and can't come too soon!

I'll report back once I have heard the speakers, in case others have a similar situation.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Triad Speakers Orientation

I spoke to the folks at Triad and here's the definitive answer regarding Triad speaker orientation:

Subs make no difference.

Other main speakers can be flipped either way but the key is to make sure the tweeter is at ear level when sitting in the main listening position or if teared seating you can move it up a little so it is between the ear level of both rows or better yet angle the speaker up so it aims to both rows fairly well.

The surrounds need to have the 3" drivers to the bottom closest to ear level.
jjcook and grtuck like this.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I spoke to the folks at Triad and here's the definitive answer regarding Triad speaker orientation:

Subs make no difference.

Other main speakers can be flipped either way but the key is to make sure the tweeter is at ear level when sitting in the main listening position or if teared seating you can move it up a little so it is between the ear level of both rows or better yet angle the speaker up so it aims to both rows fairly well.

The surrounds need to have the 3" drivers to the bottom closest to ear level.
By "flipped either way" they mean vertically oriented either way, but not horizontally oriented unless designed for that?

Buy some Triad speakers.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info, Dawn. I'm also interested in nathan_h's question.

For my InWall Silver/4 Surrounds I placed them in the ceiling so both the tweeters are closest to the seating position. Think this is best? My surrounds are already pretty far back (~34" from ear to edge of surround, pic above).

I got my Bronze/6 Subs installed last night by trimming the drywall so the short screws fit. Not the most fun thing, but I'm happy to have all 7 speakers installed. Can't wait to fire them up!

Also in my fake ceiling beam I found the beam surface was a bit concave and the grill highlighted this with a gap. I carefully bent the steel speaker frame with my knee to follow the beam concavity, and the frameless grill is flexible enough to follow it. It was quite scary because the frame doesn't bend easily and took a LOT of force, but it worked great!

You can see the surrounds are toward the seating position as much as possible, but still pretty far back.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

So, to answer Nathan's question, yes, flipped vertically. Triad LCRs always sound best in the vertical position. Speakers specifically designed for horizontal center channel placement are another story.

Nate, yes, that's the proper ceiling orientation. Smaller drivers aimed toward the listener.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm looking for advice regarding how to best configure some pre-owned Triad in-ceiling speakers I recently purchased. I have 2x InCeiling Gold 6/Omni (older model non-SEs) and 1x InCeiling Silver 6/MiniMonitor. The speakers will be used strictly for music as part of a multi-room system. There will be no subwoofer in this room, so the speakers will be configured to run full range. The speakers will be powered by a NAD C356BEE integrated amp rated at 80 watts into 8 or 4 ohms. I am considering the following options:

Option 1: Install 2x InCeiling Gold 6/Omni.
Option 2: Purchase an additional InCeiling Silver 6/MiniMonitor and install 2x InCeiling Silver 6/MiniMonitor.

From my research, I gather that the drivers in the Silver MiniMonitor are superior to those in the Gold 6/Omni, but that there may be some concern with the power handling of the Silver MiniMonitor when run full range. Which of the two options would likely yield a better sounding setup for this application? If the listening levels are fairly moderate, is there any reason to be concerned about the power handling of the Silver MiniMonitors when used with the NAD amp? I'm aware that Triad designs its speaker to be used with a subwoofer, so I'm not expecting perfection but only to optimize what I have available.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

The Gold Omni's are better equipped to run full-range than the Mini Monitors. So those would be my choice in this instance.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Design View Post
I'm looking for advice regarding how to best configure some pre-owned Triad in-ceiling speakers I recently purchased. I have 2x InCeiling Gold 6/Omni (older model non-SEs) and 1x InCeiling Silver 6/MiniMonitor. The speakers will be used strictly for music as part of a multi-room system
I saw that eBay listing and almost bid on it, you got an awesome deal!! Congrats!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who have been in this thread for years, you may have noticed that I've been incrementally upgrading my Triad setup piecemeal as money and opportunity coincided. I've decided to sell off the things I have replaced and have posted them in the classifieds.

Buy some Triad speakers.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The Gold Omni's are better equipped to run full-range than the Mini Monitors. So those would be my choice in this instance.
Thank you. Do you (or Triad directly) ship the "InCeiling Retro Kits" referenced in the installation guide or would I need to source through a local dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I saw that eBay listing and almost bid on it, you got an awesome deal!! Congrats!
That's the one. Thanks for refraining.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, we do.

Send me a Private Message
Old Today, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
First time posting here

I'm getting a b&w diamond setup for the front speakers and cm6s2 for the rears.

What atmos budget speakers would yall recommend for in ceiling ? And do you think Triad in ceiling speakers would work OK for atmos with the B&W?

The B&W in ceiling speakers don't sound great from what I've heard testing at best buy so I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Triad