Triad Owner's Thread - Page 292 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 531Likes

post #8731 of 8759 Old 09-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
BB,

Triad can update those dipoles to bipoles for a fee. Sometimes they allow handy customers to do it themselves and it costs less.

Call them for more info.

Dawn
I thought I had read somewhere (on this forum) that Triad wasn't offering that service anymore. So you're saying they still are? That would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8759 Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 3728 Post(s)
Liked: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Thanks for the great feedback! The surrounds are dipole. I bought them before ATMOS existed. My dedicated theater is used primarily for multi-channel audio movie watching - along with occasional concert video. I have the InRoom Gold LCR's up front, OnWall Gold Surrounds on the sides and OnWall Gold Surrounds in the back - with a pair of JTR Cap 1400 subs in a fairly small (1,800 cu ft) room. The room is treated and the sound is spectacular. With that said, the tweeters in the surrounds are currently on the top, which when seated, are about 2-3 feet above my head. I may turn them around and see how it sounds with them on the bottom.

Oh, and if I do ever plan to go with ATMOS, then that's another "issue" as I can't go dipole with these surrounds.
Triad Gold and a pair of Cap 1400's in a 1,800 cu ft room!! You are not worried about headroom I imagine!!

If you're not running Atmos, I'd probably leave the surrounds oriented as is. In a standard 7.1 setup it's typical for the surrounds to be elevated above ear level, plus the dipole design means you're getting a diffuse sound field. I don't think it's worth the effort to flip them over. 2-3 feet above ear level is pretty much perfect for a 7.1 setup.

If you get them re-wired for bipole in order to go Atmos, then I'd flip them over to bring the tweeter closer to ear level. But honestly I wouldn't worry about it for now if it were me.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #8733 of 8759 Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Good advice - thanks for the feedback. I agree, sans ATMOS for now, I think I will keep as is. Sounds really good and very diffuse, which is the goal.

And yes, in my room, I have plenty of headroom!

post #8734 of 8759 Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 142
To all my friends here in the Triad thread,

I need two volunteers to help test out a new theater design system we are thinking of rolling out for Triad customers only. This is a completely different approach than the one I previously tried out several months ago.

If you have home theater plans (not handwritten) please contact me. I really would love to have your input on this.

Thanks so much!

Dawn@TriadSpeakersForum.com

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 09-20-2017 at 06:47 AM.
post #8735 of 8759 Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I posted a while back about the differences between the in wall Silver LCR and in wall Silver Monitor and am re-visiting it. I currently have 5 Silver LCR's and 2 Bronze LCR's (rears) and am extremely pleased with them for movies, they play plenty loud enough for my space. I'm looking at Silver Monitors for my L/C/R as I would like the increased sound quality mainly for music. My questions are below:

1. What type of drivers do the Silver Monitors use?
2. I'm assuming they can play as loud as my Silver LCR's for movies without straining per the sensitivity and power handling specs on their site?
3. Has anyone here heard both the Silver LCR and Silver Monitor, if so, what are your impressions/comparison between the two?
4. Would 3 Monitors up front and 4 LCR's for the surrounds/rears be a good match?

I know it's a lot that I'm asking but Triad doesn't offer an in home trial (that I know of) so I'd like to get as much information as possible.
post #8736 of 8759 Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 AM

I posted a while back about the differences between the in wall Silver LCR and in wall Silver Monitor and am re-visiting it. I currently have 5 Silver LCR's and 2 Bronze LCR's (rears) and am extremely pleased with them for movies, they play plenty loud enough for my space. I'm looking at Silver Monitors for my L/C/R as I would like the increased sound quality mainly for music. My questions are below:

1. What type of drivers do the Silver Monitors use?
2. I'm assuming they can play as loud as my Silver LCR's for movies without straining per the sensitivity and power handling specs on their site?
3. Has anyone here heard both the Silver LCR and Silver Monitor, if so, what are your impressions/comparison between the two?
4. Would 3 Monitors up front and 4 LCR's for the surrounds/rears be a good match?

I know it's a lot that I'm asking but Triad doesn't offer an in home trial (that I know of) so I'd like to get as much information as possible.
post #8737 of 8759 Old 09-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

A few answers:

The Silver LCRs and the Silver Monitors have similar sensitivity ratings so the Monitors should play as loud. The difference, as you suspected, is in the drivers. Monitors have drivers that are more adept at music than Silver LCRs, and they also work for movies.

However, because the drivers are so different from that of Silver LCRs, you really shouldn't mix and match them together for surround and Atmos applications. See our Triad Speaker Matching Chart for more info on this.

I have heard both speakers and the only way to describe the difference is that the Monitors have a smoother and more delicate sound. Very silky with a nicer midrange.

When our clients are looking for both movies and music, we always try to steer them to Silver or Gold Monitors.

Last edited by Dawn Gordon; 09-27-2017 at 11:27 AM.
post #8738 of 8759 Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What's the recommended backer box volume for R28 in-ceiling speakers? New home build whole-house audio application...
post #8739 of 8759 Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

Considering the following speakers for a 9.2.6 HT and welcome your thoughts on power amps.

3x InRoom Silver Monitors (LCR)
6x InWall Silver/4 Sats (all surrounds)
6x InCeiling Silver/6 Sats (Atmos ceiling)
2x InRoom Silver Sub

I'd like to use the Marantz AV8802a successor or possibly Emotiva RMC-1 when they're released, hopefully end of this year.

I'd like to be able to play the setup at reference when wanted, but not all the time. Also, I was told 4ohm can be tricky to match to an amp.

I asked a similar question on the Amplifier section of AVS, but like to hear first hand from people who enjoy their Triad speakers.

Also, be keen to hear how you'd recommend channels are grouped - ie. 3 channel amp for fronts, 6 channel amp for surrounds and 4 channel amp for ATMOS or two 7 channel amps.

Budget is always a consideration, so like best bang for my dollar. Located in Australia so auditioning can be difficult.

Thanks in advance

Chris
post #8740 of 8759 Old 10-04-2017, 11:02 AM

I wouldn't expect either the Emotiva or the Marantz 8802A replacement until early 2018, don't bank on end of this year. D+M will probably debut the new flagships at CES in January. I don't know when things get available for you in Oz in relation to NA release dates.

A key variable is missing -- how big is the room and what's the distance to the front speakers?

In general you can assume you'll need less power for the surrounds/overheads because of the less demanding content and decreased distance to the speaker (sound power drops 6dB per doubling of distance so if your fronts are at 4m and the surrounds are only 2m away you'd need 4x the power for the fronts assuming equal sensitivity).

I would spend some time playing with SPL calculators like this one: https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators

Full reference level (clean 105dB peaks) will take a LOT of power -- those last 5dB from -5 to full reference will require 3x the power (holding the other variables of sensitivity + distance constant).

For example, if you're 4m from the front LCR speakers, based on the calculator above a 92dB sensitivity speaker like the Silver Monitor would do 100dB peaks with 200W of clean power (assuming 3dB headroom). 200W into 4 ohms is pretty easy for any decent amp from ATI, Parasound, etc. However, up that to 105dB peaks and now you need over 600W! If the distance is 3m instead of 4m, now you are looking at around 350W clean watts for a 105dB peak, which is much more manageable (a solid external amp will be capable of short term burst power like that).

So the details matter

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8741 of 8759 Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
Hi all,

Considering the following speakers for a 9.2.6 HT and welcome your thoughts on power amps.

3x InRoom Silver Monitors (LCR)

6x InWall Silver/4 Sats (all surrounds)

6x InCeiling Silver/6 Sats (Atmos ceiling)

2x InRoom Silver Sub

I'd like to use the Marantz AV8802a successor or possibly Emotiva RMC-1 when they're released, hopefully end of this year.

I'd like to be able to play the setup at reference when wanted, but not all the time. Also, I was told 4ohm can be tricky to match to an amp.

I asked a similar question on the Amplifier section of AVS, but like to hear first hand from people who enjoy their Triad speakers.

Also, be keen to hear how you'd recommend channels are grouped - ie. 3 channel amp for fronts, 6 channel amp for surrounds and 4 channel amp for ATMOS or two 7 channel amps.

Budget is always a consideration, so like best bang for my dollar. Located in Australia so auditioning can be difficult.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I have smiler to ur set up but instead silver i go with gold LCR and in wall gold /4 omni SE for surround and in celling for atmos/dts x/ auro 13.1
using the trinnov altitude 32

For the amps i use QSC DCA and for me it’s work great and my room it’s not big around 2800 cubic feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8742 of 8759 Old 10-04-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
I wouldn't expect either the Emotiva or the Marantz 8802A replacement until early 2018, don't bank on end of this year. D+M will probably debut the new flagships at CES in January. I don't know when things get available for you in Oz in relation to NA release dates.

A key variable is missing -- how big is the room and what's the distance to the front speakers?

In general you can assume you'll need less power for the surrounds/overheads because of the less demanding content and decreased distance to the speaker (sound power drops 6dB per doubling of distance so if your fronts are at 4m and the surrounds are only 2m away you'd need 4x the power for the fronts assuming equal sensitivity).

I would spend some time playing with SPL calculators like this one: https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators

Full reference level (clean 105dB peaks) will take a LOT of power -- those last 5dB from -5 to full reference will require 3x the power (holding the other variables of sensitivity + distance constant).

For example, if you're 4m from the front LCR speakers, based on the calculator above a 92dB sensitivity speaker like the Silver Monitor would do 100dB peaks with 200W of clean power (assuming 3dB headroom). 200W into 4 ohms is pretty easy for any decent amp from ATI, Parasound, etc. However, up that to 105dB peaks and now you need over 600W! If the distance is 3m instead of 4m, now you are looking at around 350W clean watts for a 105dB peak, which is much more manageable (a solid external amp will be capable of short term burst power like that).

So the details matter
Thanks for your response, exactly the education I'm looking for... a lot to learn.

The room is 5300mm (17.39ft) long, 3800mm (12.47ft) wide and 2300mm (7.55ft) high. Seating is 3000mm (9.84ft) from the screen, with a further 1000mm (3.28ft) behind the screen to the rear wall. I have a riser 150mm (5.9in) with seating that has listening height at approx. 1100mm (3.6ft) above the riser. This leaves approx. 1200mm (3.94ft) from listening height to ceiling. The screen is a 120" AT anamorphic Screen Research, speakers behind.

I love watching action movies - Transformers, Wonder Woman, Dracula, etc. and while I love the base loud, clarity of the little details is equality important - Jurassic Park where the Raptor is tapping its nails on the metal kitchen top.

Really appreciate your feedback and will take all I the direction I can get. What about one amp vs. multiple? Australia is pretty close to US release dates for new products now and I can wait until early next year for the right processor. If I win a couple of million in Lotto before then, I'll grab a Trinnov Altitude16 and be done with it

Last edited by Chris1971; 10-04-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Updated seating distance to screen
post #8743 of 8759 Old 10-04-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
I have smiler to ur set up but instead silver i go with gold LCR and in wall gold /4 omni SE for surround and in celling for atmos/dts x/ auro 13.1
using the trinnov altitude 32

For the amps i use QSC DCA and for me it’s work great and my room it’s not big around 2800 cubic feet

If I hadn't spent nearly $80k 8 years ago on a full Meridian system and I wasn't happily married, I'd probably get the same system as you! But the Trinnov Altitude16 starts at $30,000 in Australia and then some...

I imagine the sound you're getting must be second to none... drool worthy
A7mad78 likes this.
post #8744 of 8759 Old 10-05-2017, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
If I hadn't spent nearly $80k 8 years ago on a full Meridian system and I wasn't happily married, I'd probably get the same system as you! But the Trinnov Altitude16 starts at $30,000 in Australia and then some...

I imagine the sound you're getting must be second to none... drool worthy

Sure with the right treatment the sound are great and the gold LCR also apart of the story

try the QSC DCA amps they are good

post #8745 of 8759 Old 10-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The room is 5300mm (17.39ft) long, 3800mm (12.47ft) wide and 2300mm (7.55ft) high. Seating is 3000mm (9.84ft) from the screen, with a further 1000mm (3.28ft) behind the screen to the rear wall. I have a riser 150mm (5.9in) with seating that has listening height at approx. 1100mm (3.6ft) above the riser. This leaves approx. 1200mm (3.94ft) from listening height to ceiling. The screen is a 120" AT anamorphic Screen Research, speakers behind.
Wow how precise!

Bottom line is that with the room only being 12.5ft wide and 7.5ft high (sorry for rounding!) you are going to be pretty close to the surrounds and overheads, so you'll need significantly less power. I think you want a beefy amp for the LCR speakers that can do a clean 250+ W/ch continuous into 4ohms (which means you'll have dynamic power for more than that on peaks) and less on the surrounds. Most amps will quote the 8-ohm rating until you dig deeper into the specs, you can typically assume at least 50% more power into 4-ohms.

As to how many amps, I don't think that matters too much. Depends on what you find that meets your needs and budget. Obviously what I described above is a 3ch + an 8ch but there aren't a lot of 8ch amps out there. Some companies do put out 4ch amps so you could do a 3ch + two 4ch amps. An easy combination that should be readily available would be a powerful 5ch amp (LCR + surrounds) + a less beefy 7ch amp (back surrounds + overheads) with 1ch left unused. So a 5ch amp rated at >200W/ch into 8ohms + a 7ch amp rated at 150W/ch would probably be just right.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8746 of 8759 Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Wow how precise!

Bottom line is that with the room only being 12.5ft wide and 7.5ft high (sorry for rounding!) you are going to be pretty close to the surrounds and overheads, so you'll need significantly less power. I think you want a beefy amp for the LCR speakers that can do a clean 250+ W/ch continuous into 4ohms (which means you'll have dynamic power for more than that on peaks) and less on the surrounds. Most amps will quote the 8-ohm rating until you dig deeper into the specs, you can typically assume at least 50% more power into 4-ohms.

As to how many amps, I don't think that matters too much. Depends on what you find that meets your needs and budget. Obviously what I described above is a 3ch + an 8ch but there aren't a lot of 8ch amps out there. Some companies do put out 4ch amps so you could do a 3ch + two 4ch amps. An easy combination that should be readily available would be a powerful 5ch amp (LCR + surrounds) + a less beefy 7ch amp (back surrounds + overheads) with 1ch left unused. So a 5ch amp rated at >200W/ch into 8ohms + a 7ch amp rated at 150W/ch would probably be just right.
This company makes all different configurations of very powerful amps, at reasonable prices... and I'm pretty sure they ship to Australia:
http://www.d-sonic.net/policies/
I have a friend driving Platinums with them, and they sound SPECTACULAR!

Another option is Earthquake Sound:
http://www.earthquakesound.com/index...ome-amplifiers
He'll have 15 channels, so 3 of the 5-channel amps would work. 328 wpc into 8 Ohms and 600 wpc into 4 ohms. I know they are available in Australia. I also know they're available at less than MSRP. I'm using them for all my Silver Monitor surrounds and they sound SPECTACULAR!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #8747 of 8759 Old 10-11-2017, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have input on using Anthem products with their Triad speakers? I have the Anthem MRX1120 and it sounds fantastic.
post #8748 of 8759 Old 10-12-2017, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

I don't sell Anthem but I have heard from other Triad dealers that Anthem works well with Triad. One thing to note: Triad uses Marantz components in their demo room in Portland. :-)

post #8749 of 8759 Old 10-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just received my speaker layout from Triad. My layout includes 4 Inwall Bronze/6 subwoofers. They are recommending to use wide frame grills instead of frameless grills to prevent "speaker chatter". Does anyone have a similar subwoofer setup with frameless grills? Have you noticed any "speaker chatter" coming from your subwoofer? If so, does it only occur at very high volume or at moderate volume?

Has anyone who has experienced this issue come up with a solution?

I'm not a fan of the wide frame grills and would prefer frameless. However, I don't want to make a mistake by ordering a frameless grill if this is indeed an issue.

Appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks.
post #8750 of 8759 Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
I don't have first hand knowledge, but I would believe Triad's advice.
jjcook likes this.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #8751 of 8759 Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have a lot of experience over the last 10 years using Anthem with Triad and can vouch for them. I agree with Dawn and know they use Marantz electronics but the Anthem stuff is as good if not in most cases better as they have higher quality amps than Marantz makes and i think they have advantages over the Audiocontrol i've seen at Triad rooms in the past. All good stuff though.
post #8752 of 8759 Old Today, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Silver mains w/bronze rears

I'm running 7.2 in a large dedicated theater room 14 X 24. Using InWall Bronze/4 LCRS for rear surrounds and Bronze Biploar inwall surrounds.

Do any of you run the Silver LCR's with bronze surrounds? If so, how do they match? I'm looking at the Silver "in-room" LCR's.

Currently using 3 Deftech BP8060St's for LCR and looking for a better timber/driver match. Emotiva XPA-3 (275/channel) to powers LCR's.
post #8753 of 8759 Old Today, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

The Silver LCRs will match much better than Deftech LCRs.

Of course, Bronze LCRs will match the best.

post #8754 of 8759 Old Today, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
The Silver LCRs will match much better than Deftech LCRs.

Of course, Bronze LCRs will match the best.
I like the price and timber match of Bronzes for fronts, but I'm leaning towards the higher output and performance of the Silvers.

Hoping to hear from anyone that runs Silvers in front and Bronze in the rear in their setup. I know several forum members do.......I also see members that run Procella's in the front and Bronzes in the rear.
post #8755 of 8759 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Considering your room length I would agree w Silvers up front for the extra headroom/output.

I currently have Bronze LCR up front and side surrounds but I'm swapping to Silver LCR (as soon as I stop being lazy and re-do my screen wall).

Everything I've heard is that the Silver and Bronze should match perfectly -- they are literally the same speaker, same drivers, the only difference is that the Silver has a slightly larger cabinet and 6.5" woofers instead of 5.25" woofers. Same tweeter.
nathan_h likes this.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8756 of 8759 Old Today, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Considering your room length I would agree w Silvers up front for the extra headroom/output.

I currently have Bronze LCR up front and side surrounds but I'm swapping to Silver LCR (as soon as I stop being lazy and re-do my screen wall).

Everything I've heard is that the Silver and Bronze should match perfectly -- they are literally the same speaker, same drivers, the only difference is that the Silver has a slightly larger cabinet and 6.5" woofers instead of 5.25" woofers. Same tweeter.
I read that the Silvers were re-vamped a few years back and they now have the same tweeter as the Gold . That's a good thing - just wondering how closely they still match if the tweeters were indeed upgraded on the Silvers.
post #8757 of 8759 Old Today, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post
I read that the Silvers were re-vamped a few years back and they now have the same tweeter as the Gold . That's a good thing - just wondering how closely they still match if the tweeters were indeed upgraded on the Silvers.
Hmm, I hadn't heard that. The Bronze/Silver speakers had to change drivers in 2011 because Peerless/Vifa went out of business. I know for certain that prior to that the tweeters were identical Vifa models and they both used the same Peerless woofer (6.5" vs. 5.25"). Didn't hear that they had upgraded the Silver tweeter though, you could be right.

Regardless, it's not necessary for the surrounds to be a 100% perfect match to the front LCR.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #8758 of 8759 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post
Hoping to hear from anyone that runs Silvers in front and Bronze in the rear in their setup. I know several forum members do.......I also see members that run Procella's in the front and Bronzes in the rear.
I have Silver LCR's for fronts and sides, Bronze LCR's for rears. After running Dirac I honestly can't tell the rear speakers are different from the rest of my setup. Whether watching 7.1 blu-rays or listening to multi channel music, the sound coming from the Bronze LCR's never strikes me as different. I'm only five feet or so from the rears (bronze), if that helps at all.

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF
Sources: Oppo 103 / Chromecast / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #8759 of 8759 Old Today, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have a front soundstage of Silver LCR's with Bronze Surrounds and using Bronze IC LCR's. I had Bronze LR/H up front initially and can honestly say i didn't notice much of a difference. I only sit around 10 ft from the front soundstage and only at top volumes do i hear much of a difference if at all. My room just isn't that big and the bronze's could hit reference volume based on calculations. I just get bored.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page