Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 6305 Old 12-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Paul and Tony,

I appreciate you weighing in. At this point, the preamp I've selected is the Integra 9.8. I thought about the Rotel preamp, but the new Integra just has too many features. I will look at some of the other amps you suggested, particularly NAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 6305 Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

At this point, the preamp I've selected is the Integra 9.8.

Excellent choice IMHO. If you want an amp that mates well cosmetically, then I would look at the Sherbourn Technologies 7/2100A.

http://sherbourn.com/products/7_2100A.php

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #63 of 6305 Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe430 View Post

I've selected is the Integra 9.8.

I'm using an Integra 9.8 and have a Parasound Halo A51 matched with it.

Just waiting for my Triad InRoom LCR Gold's to arrive.

Hey Paul, my order was placed in late November. How about lighting some fires under some butts up in Portland for me.
post #64 of 6305 Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

Hey Paul, my order was placed in late November. How about lighting some fires under some butts up in Portland for me.

Custom veneer takes about three weeks to build, and with the holidays, more like four weeks. Shipping is 3-day FedEx. I hope your dealer placed the order the same day you told him to. Let me know who the dealer is through PM, and I'll jump all over it.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #65 of 6305 Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Custom veneer takes about three weeks to build, and with the holidays, more like four weeks. Shipping is 3-day FedEx. I hope your dealer placed the order the same day you told him to. Let me know who the dealer is through PM, and I'll jump all over it.

Thanks for the help Paul.

Tell me about break-in time on the InRoom LCR Gold's..... if you believe in that sort of thing.
post #66 of 6305 Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM

Per the manual, it looks like the only way to put the amp in "standby mode" is to push the "run/standby button". It does not look like the amp will automatically go into standby mode once a signal from the AVR via "sub out" is no longer present. Is that a correct observation/conclusion?

Is it ok to leave the amps in "run" mode (LED=Blue) for extended periods of time between movie sessions or should we manually push run button and go to standby mode after each session?

Is there anyway to set run vs. standby mode in this amps via trigger mechanisms?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
post #67 of 6305 Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using an Integra 9.8 and have a Parasound Halo A51 matched with it.

Mike, just curious if you have everything up and running? And what you think of the Triads?
post #68 of 6305 Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Mike, just curious if you have everything up and running? And what you think of the Triads?

My speakers are in, they will be delivered and setup next week. I cant wait as my dealer has all the certifications... CEDIA, Sencore, THX, etc. and he is going to calibrate my entire system to my room.

Photos will be posted soon!
post #69 of 6305 Old 01-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am posting this here rather than a seperate thread. I have InWall Gold/4 Omni's for the three fronts and now am considering the Gold/6 InCeiling's for surrounds due to room layout. There really is no back wall in the basement configuration we have and the side walls are not condusive for the regular inwall surrounds. I am wondering for 5.1 if the InCeiling's should mount on the side of the room, directed toward's the seating area; or in the back, firing at the listener from behind. Maybe the InCeling Round 6 or 8 would be the better choice.

Erik
post #70 of 6305 Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

I am posting this here rather than a seperate thread. I have InWall Gold/4 Omni's for the three fronts and now am considering the Gold/6 InCeiling's for surrounds due to room layout. There really is no back wall in the basement configuration we have and the side walls are not condusive for the regular inwall surrounds. I am wondering for 5.1 if the InCeiling's should mount on the side of the room, directed toward's the seating area; or in the back, firing at the listener from behind. Maybe the InCeling Round 6 or 8 would be the better choice.

Erik

If you mean "InCeiling Gold/6 Omni" I would mount them in the ceiling to the sides and slightly behind the seating position, facing in. You'll have five identical speakers, which is a good thing. If the acoustics are dead and the seating is close to the surround speakers, consider the InWall Silver/4 Surrounds in the ceiling in the same location.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #71 of 6305 Old 01-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
InCeiling Gold/6 Omni......those are the ones. Thanks Paul, just wasn't quite sure of the best placement.

Erik
post #72 of 6305 Old 01-19-2008, 06:27 PM

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking of switching my speakers to Triad. I am currently using M&K s150 series. What will be difference in sound characteristic of these two brands? thanks.
post #73 of 6305 Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybeanbean View Post

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I am thinking of switching my speakers to Triad. I am currently using M&K s150 series. What will be difference in sound characteristic of these two brands? thanks.

This looks like a question for Triad Dude.
post #74 of 6305 Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:

What Triads are you considering using Bronze, Silver, Gold , Platinum?
What are you currently using to drive the M&K's?
It would be nice if you have a local dealer you could demo the speakers on your system.
Over the years I have had 3 different Triad systems and can tell you that the speakers are very revealing. Alot depends on what you are using for power and processing.
post #75 of 6305 Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atester View Post

What Triads are you considering using Bronze, Silver, Gold , Platinum?
What are you currently using to drive the M&K's?
It would be nice if you have a local dealer you could demo the speakers on your system.
Over the years I have had 3 different Triad systems and can tell you that the speakers are very revealing. Alot depends on what you are using for power and processing.

My place is 11" x 20", so I think silver monitors x3 + silver on wall surround should do the job, right? For the center speaker, I searched some thread saying the silver monitor can't be position horizontally. If in that case, should I use a LCR center instead?
I am using a Parasound A52 to drive my M&K now, and processing is Denon.
No local dealers around here, because I am not in US, sorry

Thanks
post #76 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM

IF you have room to place a silver monitor for the center channel verticle that would be the way to go, otherwise yes, the horizontal center speaker would be used.
post #77 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Using a Silver Monitor horizontally for center is no worse than most any other horizontal center, and no worse than the S-150 configuration of three tweeters next to two mids. None are ideal, and vertical alignment is almost always better. Out of curiosity, are you replacing the S-150s just because M&K has gone under? That doesn't make them bad speakers. In fact, the S-150 is a lot of fun, is dynamic, and plays loud. (I'll believe M&K is back in business when I see evidence.)

The difference will be that the Silver Monitor has flatter frequency response; flatter than almost anything else. With 92 dB sensitivity, it will play at least as loud, and the Scan-Speak drivers (with Vifa tweeter) are very smooth and won't have the *edge* that M&Ks have always had. The Silver Monitors maintain all the advantages of the S-150, but with more refinement.

PS...I'm not dissing M&K. I sold more M&K than any other retail salesperson throughout the '80s, according to Chuck Back, and they work great for home theater. I still talk to my old customers from 20 years ago who are using M&K S1B /V1B systems with Audionics separates, and they're all still real happy.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #78 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:

IF you have room to place a silver monitor for the center channel verticle that would be the way to go, otherwise yes, the horizontal center speaker would be used.

Thanks atester. Do you know how different does Triad sound from M&K?
post #79 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lucky, take a look at Paul's response to you. Having Paul chime in and contribute is better than any advice an owner or dealer can give to you. Plus, it comes from someone that has been in the business longer than most posters on the forum.......Paul, you are like fine wine and only get better with age......

Quote:

Do you know how different does Triad sound from M&K?

Paul is exactly correct in his response. M&K's were able to handle gobbs of power and play very loud. For a dynamic home theater, that is kinda what it's all about. However, with multi-channel audio becoming very popular these days, M&K can at times sound very harsh. I've always liked some of the characteristics of M&K, but music and delicate tracks M&K makes me want to fun for cover.

We chose Triad because of it's committment to quality. The components used, the care in packaging, and the service is excellent. But, it still comes down to how well do they sound? To us, they are very smooth, not harsh at all. They can play loud and clean when called upon, yet be very delicate as well. To me they are the perfect home theater speaker company offering 3-4 designs per type of application. They have made my job much easier. What else could one ask for? They are truly excellent.

post #80 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Lucky, take a look at Paul's response to you. Having Paul chime in and contribute is better than any advice an owner or dealer can give to you. Plus, it comes from someone that has been in the business longer than most posters on the forum.......Paul, you are like fine wine and only get better with age......

Paul is exactly correct in his response. M&K's were able to handle gobbs of power and play very loud. For a dynamic home theater, that is kinda what it's all about. However, with multi-channel audio becoming very popular these days, M&K can at times sound very harsh. I've always liked some of the characteristics of M&K, but music and delicate tracks M&K makes me want to fun for cover.

We chose Triad because of it's committment to quality. The components used, the care in packaging, and the service is excellent. But, it still comes down to how well do they sound? To us, they are very smooth, not harsh at all. They can play loud and clean when called upon, yet be very delicate as well. To me they are the perfect home theater speaker company offering 3-4 designs per type of application. They have made my job much easier. What else could one ask for? They are truly excellent.

Thanks, Tony. Your check is in the mail.

And like a fine wine, I have turned to vinegar with age...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #81 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Thanks, Paul was replying right when I was typing, so I missed his comment. sorry.

To me, M&K feels like lack of body in the midbass region, and the highs are like knife cutting glass. I like flat response, and if the silver monitor is flat, and smoother than M&K, I will definitely give it a try. . Thank for the comment.
post #82 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Paul and ttowntony have basically conveyed my thoughts about the different speakers.
As I said in my posting that Triads are "revealing', is more true than not. You will not be disappointed .
Some years back, I was in Portland and was able to get the "nickle and dime" factory tour of how Triads are made. Alot of thought has gone into the build and design for the consumer who is serious about listening to audio.
post #83 of 6305 Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Paul and ttowntony have basically conveyed my thoughts about the different speakers.
As I said in my posting that Triads are "revealing', is more true than not. You will not be disappointed .
Some years back, I was in Portland and was able to get the "nickle and dime" factory tour of how Triads are made. Alot of thought has gone into the build and design for the consumer who is serious about listening to audio.

Mine get delivered, setup and calibrated to my room tomorrow. Can't wait to see those LCR Gold's in Red Rosewood.
post #84 of 6305 Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine get delivered, setup and calibrated to my room tomorrow. Can't wait to see those LCR Gold's in Red Rosewood.

Please post some pics. I am very curious to read your impressions. What is the full speaker setup that you got from them?
post #85 of 6305 Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Please post some pics. I am very curious to read your impressions. What is the full speaker setup that you got from them?

There will definitely be pictures. I dont know that I have read where Paul stated what the break-in time is on these speakers.

My setup from Triad is InRoom LCR Gold's across the front and I'm using InRoom Omni Gold's for rears temporarily.

I dont plan on being in this home a year from now, so I didn't go overboard on surround speakers as my next home is going to have a dedicated media room.

If I were staying in my current home for many more years, I would have went with the new Omni Gold SE InCeiling speakers for the rears.
post #86 of 6305 Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mike, I am kind of a cynic about break in of any speaker. They'll sound a bit stiff and sterile for the first five minutes, and after a half hour of spirited playing, they'll be 90% broken in. A cold room will make them sound unbroken in again, and temperature and humidity have much more effect upon the sound than hundreds of hours of break in. The only things that really become more compliant are the spiders and surrounds of the drivers, and you'll notice that mostly on the larger drivers. Excursion is so slight on tweeters that break in is miniscule. I have read Jung's papers on capacitors and dielectric retention, but only electrolytic caps have problems in this area. We don't use them.

I'm always amused at the corrolation between how exotic the speakers are and how long their break in period is. It seems the more esoteric the brand, the more hours are required. What is never pointed out is, if a speaker has a 300 hour break in period, when does it STOP breaking in? Right at 300 hours? When does it break in TOO much? At 500 hours?? If suspension components have that arbitrary compliance qualities, what is to stop the speaker from becoming too broken in and too compliant?? An argument can be made that the speaker requiring the least break in may be within tighter tolerances than a pair of Frobisher Audio Musical Nirvana Etheral Transducers, which require seven years of pulsating pink noise. (I'll stop; I'm spinning out of control.)

I suggest hooking them up and just playing them. Get your levels adjusted immediately, and check them in a month. They'll be the same. Your ears will adjust more than the speaker, but you will hear an improvement over the first half hour, even though it is not measurable. Also, listening with fresh ears makes a bigger difference. Don't use your Husqvarna chain saw on some saplings in the yard, and then come in and do critical listening.

I hope you love your new speakers, after all the prelude to you getting them.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #87 of 6305 Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There will definitely be pictures. I dont know that I have read where Paul stated what the break-in time is on these speakers.

My setup from Triad is InRoom LCR Gold's across the front and I'm using InRoom Omni Gold's for rears temporarily.

I dont plan on being in this home a year from now, so I didn't go overboard on surround speakers as my next home is going to have a dedicated media room.

If I were staying in my current home for many more years, I would have went with the new Omni Gold SE InCeiling speakers for the rears.

How did the setup go?
post #88 of 6305 Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:

How did the setup go?

18-wheeler wreck on interstate, diesel fuel all over the place. Dealer lives an hour away and couldnt get here. He will be here tomorrow. Needless to say, I can't wait.... but I will have it for the weekend.

pics and impressions will be posted asap.
post #89 of 6305 Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

18-wheeler wreck on interstate, diesel fuel all over the place. Dealer lives an hour away and couldnt get here. He will be here tomorrow. Needless to say, I can't wait.... but I will have it for the weekend.

pics and impressions will be posted asap.

Wow, that is pure torture! Patience is a virtue, but not for me
post #90 of 6305 Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What!!! No helicopter delivery service in your area?....Pitty!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page