Triad Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Triad Owner's Thread

Speakers

Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
01:34 PM Liked: 38
post #901 of 6609
05-12-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by basement View Post

I am looking for an upgrade that will last me for a while.

I think in many aspects of our lives, we all are...
justincr250's Avatar justincr250
01:52 PM Liked: 10
post #902 of 6609
05-12-2009 | Posts: 80
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Our grills are made in America, we use expanded metal (not perf), and the frames are welded aluminum. Yup, they're expensive. If you have the frames, you can just order the grill insert from a dealer, and that should cost less. If you lost the frames and grills, you are hosed because the frame is part of the mounting mechanism, and you'll have to buy them. The good news is, if you supply a paint sample, we can at least match your walls.

Paul,
Cant remember exactly how these mounted since its been 8 yrs but they do have the metal bars where you screw the philips head and they go out the frame of the speaker? Make sense? Do I just need the grills then?
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
01:55 PM Liked: 38
post #903 of 6609
05-12-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincr250 View Post

Paul,
Cant remember exactly how these mounted since its been 8 yrs but they do have the metal bars where you screw the philips head and they go out the frame of the speaker? Make sense? Do I just need the grills then?

There are three parts: The speaker. The frame. The grill. You need all three. If you have the speaker and the frame, life is good; you just order the grills. If you need the frame and the grill, you have no other choice.
Spizz's Avatar Spizz
02:39 PM Liked: 29
post #904 of 6609
05-12-2009 | Posts: 3,381
Joined: Jan 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

The new Platinum DSP Subs haven't shipped yet. The RackAmp 1000 DSP is the only amplifier in the series that hasn't shipped yet, but the glitches have been sorted out. Now it's a matter of receiving them from our manufacturer in Canada.

Interesting as I was going to be listening to one in Sydney in 2 weeks time. Maybe they are expecting to have one by then.
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
03:05 PM Liked: 38
post #905 of 6609
05-12-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Interesting as I was going to be listening to one in Sydney in 2 weeks time. Maybe they are expecting to have one by then.

Maybe not; it'll be close. I'm guessing more like three or four weeks. You have to understand that during a product launch, problems always come up, and they have to be dealt with. We could have shipped them 1,000 watt amps already, with a noise problem, but we chose to fix the problem first. There was a problem with the fitment of the grill on the Platinum sub, too, and that slowed us down a bit. You would not have been pleased if we shipped a grill that looked like ass and an amp that had low-level noise.

David Moseley, our Australian distributor, is very technical and demanding, in a good way. He really doesn't want us to ship him product that he has to ship back for replacement.
adidino's Avatar adidino
10:05 AM Liked: 50
post #906 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 4,221
Joined: Dec 2003
I can't take it anymore.. I've been tossing and turning thinking about the Platinum speakers. I had an opportunity to listen to these again recently I'm sick to my stomach! They might be overkill considering my room is about 13x22 but I don't care.

If anyone is interested, I'll be posting my Triad in room Gold mains and center here on AVS and possibly Audiogon. Keep your eyes open.. Platinums.. here I come..
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
10:14 AM Liked: 38
post #907 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I can't take it anymore.. I've been tossing and turning thinking about the Platinum speakers. I had an opportunity to listen to these again recently I'm sick to my stomach! They might be overkill considering my room is about 13x22 but I don't care.

If anyone is interested, I'll be posting my Triad in room Gold mains and center here on AVS and possibly Audiogon. Keep your eyes open.. Platinums.. here I come..

I had Platinum LCRs in my theater for years, and it's only 11.5' x 19'. After enjoying these Gold Monitors for the past five years, I am probably going back to three Platinum LCRs built flush into a false wall, with either two Gold DSP Subs or two Platinum DSP subs. And yes, Platinum LCRs are sick. Hard to explain unless you've had a demo at about 15 dB above reference level.

And what IS overkill, anyway? Is there any such thing?
adidino's Avatar adidino
10:40 AM Liked: 50
post #908 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 4,221
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I had Platinum LCRs in my theater for years, and it's only 11.5' x 19'. After enjoying these Gold Monitors for the past five years, I am probably going back to three Platinum LCRs built flush into a false wall, with either two Gold DSP Subs or two Platinum DSP subs. And yes, Platinum LCRs are sick. Hard to explain unless you've had a demo at about 15 dB above reference level.

And what IS overkill, anyway? Is there any such thing?

Paul - do you have a pic of the platinums in the false wall? May consider that route myself...
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
10:53 AM Liked: 38
post #909 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Paul - do you have a pic of the platinums in the false wall? May consider that route myself...

Here's a drawing that shows how a Platinum LCR gets roughed into either new construction or a false wall. By the end of this year, there will be a custom version of the Platinum LCR that can be wall mounted, mounted inwall, or any other custom installation application. The performance will be identical, but it will cost a bit more. I'm not going to wait for it, though. I'll buy three current ones. (Yeah, I have to buy them, but I pay less than you do. )


adidino's Avatar adidino
11:09 AM Liked: 50
post #910 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 4,221
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Here's a drawing that shows how a Platinum LCR gets roughed into either new construction or a false wall. By the end of this year, there will be a custom version of the Platinum LCR that can be wall mounted, mounted inwall, or any other custom installation application. The performance will be identical, but it will cost a bit more. I'm not going to wait for it, though. I'll buy three current ones. (Yeah, I have to buy them, but I pay less than you do. )


Nice! No negative impact placing these so close to the back wall?
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
11:15 AM Liked: 38
post #911 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Nice! No negative impact placing these so close to the back wall?

If it's a solid wall, then no, but there is reinforcement due to boundary effect. Some analog or digital EQ will knock that down a few dB. The advantages of flushing the speaker into a wall are real, though. There is no reflection off the back wall two or three feet away, smearing the midrange and causing peaks and nulls in the response. Every one of you who have a hard wall behind your speakers that are three feet out have big problems. Acoustical material can take care of this, provided it is thick enough.
JaredC79's Avatar JaredC79
07:22 PM Liked: 10
post #912 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 29
Joined: Nov 2008
Paul, can I order NCBs directly from Triad? I finally got my speakers today and the dealer did not tell me the NCBs were sold separately. I work a pretty hectic schedule and rather than wait for the dealer to get them and find time to drive to the dealer, I would like to have them sent via overnight. Is this possible?
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
07:35 PM Liked: 38
post #913 of 6609
05-13-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC79 View Post

Paul, can I order NCBs directly from Triad? I finally got my speakers today and the dealer did not tell me the NCBs were sold separately. I work a pretty hectic schedule and rather than wait for the dealer to get them and find time to drive to the dealer, I would like to have them sent via overnight. Is this possible?

We cannot sell direct. Call the dealer and have him order the NCBs, drop ship to you, and you can give him a credit card. That won't take any more time.

The reason the NCBs don't come with the speakers are 1) you would never need the speaker at the same time the NCB gets installed, and B) an NCB cannot be used in retro installations. NCB stands for New Construction Bracket.
lstokes2216's Avatar lstokes2216
09:57 AM Liked: 10
post #914 of 6609
05-18-2009 | Posts: 8
Joined: Sep 2007
I've got a pair of in- ceiling Silver 6 Mini mons and a Bronze in-ceiling sub that I'm using as one zone of a whole house audio system. The brains/amp of this system has no filtering mechanism at all. Of course, the sub amp has a low pass filter, but how do I help out the Mini mons? Is there an in-line filter that I can put between the amp and the speakers?

Thanks!
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
02:16 PM Liked: 38
post #915 of 6609
05-19-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstokes2216 View Post

I've got a pair of in- ceiling Silver 6 Mini mons and a Bronze in-ceiling sub that I'm using as one zone of a whole house audio system. The brains/amp of this system has no filtering mechanism at all. Of course, the sub amp has a low pass filter, but how do I help out the Mini mons? Is there an in-line filter that I can put between the amp and the speakers?

Thanks!

You thanked me too soon.

Older Triad sub amps had a low-level highpass, and the ones that are just starting to roll out have highpass, but the ones we used for the past four years do not. I know of nothing specifically that will work. The speakers roll of naturally from about 100 Hz and down, making for a good response curve with a sub, but the purpose of the highpass is more to enhance power handling and cut excursion. I am stumped.

You may want to try and find some speaker level, passive, 6 dB/octave devices to roll off the lows. I used to have some from a garage company that probably went under during the Reagan years. M&K had some devices, too.

Hopefully, someone can chime in with a suggestion, but I think the answer is a single-order, passive, in-line, speaker-level highpass.

I hate it when I am worthless. Which, BTW, is pretty much today.
jclem's Avatar jclem
06:34 AM Liked: 10
post #916 of 6609
05-22-2009 | Posts: 271
Joined: Oct 2001
Well, it looks like I'm going to beat Paul to the punch....There are finally some pictures up on the Triad website of the new subs. Just the Bronze and Silver picture-wise, but specs for all 4 are listed. I'm not sure what they mean by "industrial design", but I like the looks. I think it's great that Triad is making subs that are not just "black boxes".

So, how do you like them, Paul? Big or medium differences? I'm assuming you're the only one on here who's heard them at this point.

BTW, speaking of "black boxes", how do they compare performance-wise to "the king" of subs--Jl Audio?
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
06:42 AM Liked: 38
post #917 of 6609
05-22-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

Well, it looks like I'm going to beat Paul to the punch....There are finally some pictures up on the Triad website of the new subs. Just the Bronze and Silver picture-wise, but specs for all 4 are listed. I'm not sure what they mean by "industrial design", but I like the looks. I think it's great that Triad is making subs that are not just "black boxes".

So, how do you like them, Paul? Big or medium differences? I'm assuming you're the only one on here who's heard them at this point.

BTW, speaking of "black boxes", how do they compare performance-wise to "the king" of subs--Jl Audio?

In all honesty, I have not heard the new subs in a system setting yet. But the amplifiers are more powerful, there are more setup and EQ options, and the new drivers have almost double the excursion. I expect at least 3-4 dB more output per product. And they're pretty. The last series of subs sounded wonderful, but they didn't play quite as loud as some of the other big boys. That has been taken care of. I'll be up at Triad at the end of this month, and I should know more after that.

BTW, I love the JL subs, but I prefer dollar-for-dollar comparisons. $5,000 will buy two InRoom Platinum DSP subs, with two long-throw 18" drivers and two (real) 1,000 watt amps. Kind of a bargain, actually...
Cajun_Mike's Avatar Cajun_Mike
11:43 AM Liked: 10
post #918 of 6609
05-22-2009 | Posts: 393
Joined: Jun 2002
Paul, I'm looking for a second sub in my current room. Do you have dimensions of all of these cabinets on the new subs?

What issues do you see if my current sub is a SVS PC-Ultra and I'm wanting to go with another brand for my second sub?

I need a small sub that has as much power as possible. I dont want anything bigger than 14 or 15 wide... no bigger than 20 tall and no deeper than 18 or 20 long.

I keep going back and forth between these two..

Epik Sentinel

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/portedsentinel.html

Rythmik F12 servo

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12SE.html

Any of the new Triads going to compete in that size, price and performance category?
jclem's Avatar jclem
12:11 PM Liked: 10
post #919 of 6609
05-22-2009 | Posts: 271
Joined: Oct 2001
[quote=Cajun_Mike;16510639]Paul, I'm looking for a second sub in my current room. Do you have dimensions of all of these cabinets on the new subs?


Mike, As I mentioned above, all the new specs are on the website, just not all the pics. Check it out.
adidino's Avatar adidino
12:23 PM Liked: 50
post #920 of 6609
05-22-2009 | Posts: 4,221
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

Paul,
What issues do you see if my current sub is a SVS PC-Ultra and I'm wanting to go with another brand for my second sub?


?

Mike - I would advise against 2 different brand subs. If you need 2 subs, I would use another SVS Ultra or sell it and get two triads or two of what ever you decide.
adidino's Avatar adidino
06:58 PM Liked: 50
post #921 of 6609
05-24-2009 | Posts: 4,221
Joined: Dec 2003
Anyone using an in wall Gold LCR as center channel and pairing it with the Gold LCR in rooms? Considering a perf screen but keeping the LEFT/RIGHT in room and putting the in wall Gold LCR behind the screen. I figured that's as close as I'm going to get with using same speaker types for the front. How would that compare vs the LCR Center Gold in room I'm using now?
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
07:07 PM Liked: 38
post #922 of 6609
05-24-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Anyone using an in wall Gold LCR as center channel and pairing it with the Gold LCR in rooms? Considering a perf screen but keeping the LEFT/RIGHT in room and putting the in wall Gold LCR behind the screen. I figured that's as close as I'm going to get with using same speaker types for the front. How would that compare vs the LCR Center Gold in room I'm using now?

An InWall Gold/6 LCR for a center, mounted at the same height as a pair of InRoom Gold LCRs for left and right, will perform better than an InRoom Gold Center, and it will sound the same as the InRooms. Any time a horizontal center is used, it's a compromise to accommodate a video display. The Gold Center is one of the best because of the vertically-aligned midrange and tweeter, but being able to position the speaker at the same height as the left and right is huge. This mandates an acoustically transparent screen. I don't know why more people don't use them. 1080p front projectors are cheap, and although a motorized AC screen is expensive, a fixed one is reasonable. It's still the best way to go, but I believe the screen has to be a weave; not a perf. I am at odds with some screen companies over this, some of whom are old friends of mine and make great products. I am not as willing to sacrifice audio performance, though.

The best is three identical fronts, all at the same height, and the InWall and InRoom versions of the Gold LCR are the same other than how they're installed.
basement's Avatar basement
08:51 PM Liked: 10
post #923 of 6609
05-24-2009 | Posts: 457
Joined: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

If you have to go really high for the LCRs, the InCeiling Mini/8 LCR may work better. Keep in mind these are $600 each, U.S., while the InWalls are $500. The enclosure is far more complex, and takes twice as long to build. And don't forget the custom paint matching!

With a decent sub, and a 100 Hz crossover, the Minis actually do crank for little guys.

Checking in for additional thoughts ...

While searching for viable options in a high mount situation, I've been introduced to the idea of using a 3 in 1 LCR for the front speakers by a local dealer. He recommended either an Atlantic Technology or Leon 3 in 1 LCR. Either of these models can be mounted at an angle to direct the sound towards the listening position. In the case of the Leon, about 30 degrees. In addition, the Leon can be ordered with a 60" model with choice of custom finish which aesthetically works reasonably well with an 80" wide screen.

I've just noticed that Triad makes the Mini LCR 3 and that it can also be ordered with custom lengths for an additional charge.

Any thoughts on whether this setup will work for me? This may be a more cost effective configuration and it's easier to install, aesthetically pleasing too.

Thanks again
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler
10:35 PM Liked: 366
post #924 of 6609
05-24-2009 | Posts: 9,021
Joined: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

This mandates an acoustically transparent screen. I don't know why more people don't use them. 1080p front projectors are cheap, and although a motorized AC screen is expensive, a fixed one is reasonable. It's still the best way to go, but I believe the screen has to be a weave; not a perf. I am at odds with some screen companies over this, some of whom are old friends of mine and make great products. I am not as willing to sacrifice audio performance, though.

Hi Paul!

Our bud Tony Grimani has a good article on AT screens in the current (May/June 09) issue of Widescreen Review. While he is solidly on the same page with you that for the best cinematic experience, three identical speakers at equal height is the way to go, he also acknowledges that AT screens are not yet completely transparent. And, due to reflections back to the speaker surface, the speaker needs a layer of 1/2" felt on the baffle.

I suspect there are those holdouts among us (I'm among them) that can't quite get passed that--minor as it may be.
abroyles's Avatar abroyles
03:54 PM Liked: 10
post #925 of 6609
05-25-2009 | Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

The new InRoom Silver LCR, InWall Silver/4 LCR, and InWall Silver/6 LCR have new crossovers, to accommodate the NEW TWEETER. We replaced a good tweeter with a spectacular Seas tweeter; the same model that's in the twice-as-expensive Gold LCR, twice-as-expensive Silver Monitor, almost twice-as-expensive Gold MiniMonitor, and the more expensive Silver MiniMonitor. The pricing on these new versions remains the same, at $1,000 for the InRoom, and $1,100 for each of the two InWalls. We have retained the excellent Peerless midrange units, which, frankly, perform as well as most similar drivers at twice the price.

The strength of the previous Silver LCR was it would provide good output and neutral sound. The new tweeter does not change that. High frequencies are noticably better at lower levels, and the new tweeter is more detailed and delicate-sounding, and retains composure better when tasked hard. I have listened to the new version, and the improvement is not subtle.

Paul, given the new tweeter on the Silver LCR's, how would you now compare the Silver Monitors versus the Silver LCR's? It sounds like the LCR's are getting closer in sound quality to the Monitors, yet the price difference is fairly significant.
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
05:19 PM Liked: 38
post #926 of 6609
05-25-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by basement View Post

Checking in for additional thoughts ...

While searching for viable options in a high mount situation, I've been introduced to the idea of using a 3 in 1 LCR for the front speakers by a local dealer. He recommended either an Atlantic Technology or Leon 3 in 1 LCR. Either of these models can be mounted at an angle to direct the sound towards the listening position. In the case of the Leon, about 30 degrees. In addition, the Leon can be ordered with a 60" model with choice of custom finish which aesthetically works reasonably well with an 80" wide screen.

I've just noticed that Triad makes the Mini LCR 3 and that it can also be ordered with custom lengths for an additional charge.

Any thoughts on whether this setup will work for me? This may be a more cost effective configuration and it's easier to install, aesthetically pleasing too.

Thanks again

We offer everything those two companies do in a 3-in-one LCR, but with our level of construction. And in the high-end 3-in-one; the OnWall Mini LCR 3.0 SE, not only are the drivers ridiculous, they're flush-mounted to avoid diffraction problems. We offer custom widths in 1/4" increments, and custom finishes, too, and I'll put ours up against any of these. But...I still wouldn't do a speaker like this with an 80" screen. Not enough spread.
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
05:24 PM Liked: 38
post #927 of 6609
05-25-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Hi Paul!

Our bud Tony Grimani has a good article on AT screens in the current (May/June 09) issue of Widescreen Review. While he is solidly on the same page with you that for the best cinematic experience, three identical speakers at equal height is the way to go, he also acknowledges that AT screens are not yet completely transparent. And, due to reflections back to the speaker surface, the speaker needs a layer of 1/2" felt on the baffle.

I suspect there are those holdouts among us (I'm among them) that can't quite get passed that--minor as it may be.

Roger is an industry icon, and he makes some really good points. Also, read Tony's article in Widescreen (which you should all be subscribing to). I spoke with Tony last week, and we are tentatively doing a balls-to-the-wall fully-engineered CinemaPlus sytem demo at CEDIA this year, with Platinum LCRs and many, many subs. Tony's company will design the room and construct it. We'll use an AT screen. I'll know more within two weeks.

Reflections off the back of the screen are slightly measureable, but I can drop my screen while playing music, and not notice a difference in sound. The 1 dB loss at 15 kHz is really unnoticable, especially at my age.
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
05:32 PM Liked: 38
post #928 of 6609
05-25-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroyles View Post

Paul, given the new tweeter on the Silver LCR's, how would you now compare the Silver Monitors versus the Silver LCR's? It sounds like the LCR's are getting closer in sound quality to the Monitors, yet the price difference is fairly significant.

The Silver Monitors use a more substantially braced and inert enclosure, with liberal use of a clay-filled rubber material to trap and dissipate internal waves, and also make the enclosure more inert. The two Scan-Speak mids, as I've mentioned many times, are the same drivers Krell uses in the $18,750 LAT-1. They're expensive. The Peerless woofers in the Silver LCR are really nice, especially for the money, though. The margin percentage is roughly the same on the Silver Monitor and Silver LCR, despite the Monitor being twice as costly. As far as performance, the Silver LCR with the new tweeter is probably 80% of the performance of the Silver Monitor. If you've ever purchased a very-high performance automobile, you know how important that last 20% can be.
jclem's Avatar jclem
06:42 AM Liked: 10
post #929 of 6609
05-26-2009 | Posts: 271
Joined: Oct 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

But...I still wouldn't do a speaker like this with an 80" screen. Not enough spread.

Hey Basement,
I'd listen to Paul on this point, if I were you. You'd have nice wide 80" video with funnelled audio. Even if you went with a high quality Triad, I think you'd be [b]very, very[b] unhappy!!! Go with an option that spreads out your sound, or you will regret it. Just my 2 cents.
mohitk's Avatar mohitk
10:17 PM Liked: 10
post #930 of 6609
05-31-2009 | Posts: 87
Joined: Nov 2008
I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, and it's time to ask some questions. I have not actually heard Triad speakers in action before, but going by user reaction, this thread, and Paul's involvement with this community, and the tremendous help he has been, I am really drawn to this company. I hope he, or other knowledgeable folks can answer a few simple questions I have. I apologize in advance for this long e-mail.

Our house is being remodeled, and currently we are in the wiring stage. We have a family room (not dedicated HT) which is about 20' (East/West) x 16.5' (North/South) with a ceiling that is just over 8 ft high. Just to give you an idea of the room, there is a 6ft opening from the dining room into the family room (in the middle of the south side), and 8ft of glass with a sliding door from the family room to the backyard (in the middle of the east side). There are no other windows in the room. I would like to have a TV (50in+ HD) on the north wall (the 20' wall) in the middle of the room, so the dining room would be behind me, and the backyard to the right if I am facing the TV. For aesthetic reasons (and having 2 kids ages 2 and 4, 2 dogs and 2 cats), I would like to go with in-wall/in-ceiling 7.1 speakers. I think the front LCR can be in-wall, but the surrounds would probably have to be in-ceiling because of the big openings in the back and right side of the seating area.

I really do care about the quality of the sound, but I don't think I will be listening to it at reference levels (maybe a couple of times when the wife and kids are out!). I listen to music as well as watch movies, so it should work for both (as any good system will I suppose, so I am not sure why people keep saying "37% movies and 63% music").

Here I go:

1) I am trying to keep the cost as reasonable as I can (see my question # 2), so I was thinking of 3 in-wall Bronze/4 LCR, and 4 in-ceiling Silver/8 Omnis for the surrounds. I would prefer an in-room sub or two (been looking at SVS, HSU, Epik, etc), but any in-wall recommendations would be welcome. Are the speakers I mentioned appropriate for that space, or should I be looking at stepping up a notch ? What would a step up be ? I know "reasonable cost" is very subjective, but from the speakers I have chosen you can get a ballpark idea.
2) Because the remodel has gone over-budget (surprise!!!!) I would at least like to run wire (have some 14/2 that I can run) to all the speaker locations, and be able to purchase the speakers in a few months when I am a little more comfortable. Is 14/2 good enough ? Do I need to put in new construction brackets or anything like that before the drywall is up ?
3) Because the TV will be on a stand, the left/right can be installed at the right height, but I am worried about the center, because it might have to be installed horizontally above the TV. I know there are concerns about that, but are there any alternatives ? I think if I installed it vertically, it might be way too high up on the wall.
4) Should I just call in the Triad rep now ?

Any other thoughts will be really appreciated!!

--Mohit.
Tags: Triad

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3