Triad Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Triad Owner's Thread

Speakers

gchanjam's Avatar gchanjam
06:55 PM Liked: 10
post #991 of 6607
07-02-2009 | Posts: 252
Hey Paul, I may be looking at it incorrectly but I believe the listed frequency response for all of the new subs is the same on the website. Perhaps a minor oversight?
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
07:07 PM Liked: 38
post #992 of 6607
07-02-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam View Post

Hey Paul, I may be looking at it incorrectly but I believe the listed frequency response for all of the new subs is the same on the website. Perhaps a minor oversight?

All compact, sealed subwoofers use equalization to achieve bass extension. In the setup software of the amplifiers, the user chooses which sub he has, and that applies the proper EQ to get a -3 dB at 20 Hz. This means the smaller subs won't have as much headroom, but their amps are smaller, too. The only exceptions are our Mini Subs and SlimSubs, which should have a -3 dB (f3) of around 36 Hz. The LF extension on these two smaller subs is higher to get more headroom out of them. Our assumption was that with these small subs, output is more important than deep bass extension.

In short, all our subs are down 3 deebers at 20 Hz except the two smallest models. Good catch, though. I am impressed with your attention to detail!
Spizz's Avatar Spizz
02:43 AM Liked: 29
post #993 of 6607
07-03-2009 | Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I know there are many good ICEpower designs, including Mark Seaton's newest active speakers.

*Cough* Triad Actives *cough* Any updates?
06:48 AM Liked: 38
post #994 of 6607
07-03-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

*Cough* Triad Actives *cough* Any updates?

Yesterday we had a preliminary meeting on amplifier platforms to be used for distributed audio and possibly powered speakers. If we have active speakers, they are at least two years off. Our engineers are too buried in projects that will yield products that will actually sell in quantity.

Keep nagging me, and we'll do active speakers just to shut you up!
Spizz's Avatar Spizz
07:40 AM Liked: 29
post #995 of 6607
07-03-2009 | Posts: 3,381
Quote:

Done and Done
vantagesc's Avatar vantagesc
10:48 AM Liked: 37
post #996 of 6607
07-03-2009 | Posts: 822
Quote:

Yesterday we had a preliminary meeting on amplifier platforms to be used for distributed audio and possibly powered speakers. If we have active speakers, they are at least two years off. Our engineers are too buried in projects that will yield products that will actually sell in quantity.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, now you have my attention! I feel that more speaker companies should be doing this.
abroyles's Avatar abroyles
12:37 PM Liked: 10
post #997 of 6607
07-04-2009 | Posts: 8
Quote:

This should help with your rack logistics. It's from our website, and the drawings will be useful. You will not need much if any space above or below the amplifier, because it runs very efficiently and doesn't get hot, despite being a true 1,000 watts. The person at Triad I need to speak with about a .PDF for the manual is in meetings, and that may take a day.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...psub.html#tab4

Thanks Paul! I was planning on powering two of the SubAmp 500 DSP's with one 15 amp circuit. If they are truly 1,000 watts, do you recommend a a 20 amp dedicated circuit?

Do these amps include a 12 volt trigger to power on and off or should I find a power conditioner that has switched power connections for this purpose?

Thanks for your advice!
12:22 PM Liked: 38
post #998 of 6607
07-05-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroyles View Post

Thanks Paul! I was planning on powering two of the SubAmp 500 DSP's with one 15 amp circuit. If they are truly 1,000 watts, do you recommend a a 20 amp dedicated circuit?

Do these amps include a 12 volt trigger to power on and off or should I find a power conditioner that has switched power connections for this purpose?

Thanks for your advice!

My bad...the 500s are 500 watts. The 1000 is 1,000 watts. A 20 amp circuit should work, especially if the amps are all Class D. (The Triad amps emulate Class D, and they are very efficient.)

There is a configurable 12-volt trigger on our new amps.
snweiler's Avatar snweiler
06:29 PM Liked: 10
post #999 of 6607
07-05-2009 | Posts: 61
Paul,

I'm looking to add a inwall sub to the Pioneer plasma TV in our family room. The room is about 20' x 20'. We are just using the Pioneer speakers so I'm not looking for earth shattering bass, just something to fill out the bottom end for every day TV watching. I will install this in an area under some stairs so I'm not limited on depth. I was leaning toward one of the Bronze/10 inceiling models with a 300 DSP amp. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
06:33 PM Liked: 38
post #1000 of 6607
07-05-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by snweiler View Post

Paul,

I'm looking to add a inwall sub to the Pioneer plasma TV in our family room. The room is about 20' x 20'. We are just using the Pioneer speakers so I'm not looking for earth shattering bass, just something to fill out the bottom end for every day TV watching. I will install this in an area under some stairs so I'm not limited on depth. I was leaning toward one of the Bronze/10 inceiling models with a 300 DSP amp. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

The InCeiling Bronze/10 Sub will bury the speakers that came with the TV, but that's okay. If and when you upgrade the main speakers, the sub will still be appropriate. I get lots of thump with one of these (with the older 250-watt amp) in an office that's 2,200 cubic feet. Thanks for asking.
ttowntony's Avatar ttowntony
02:56 PM Liked: 11
post #1001 of 6607
07-06-2009 | Posts: 1,247
Geez, feels like I've been away for an eternity. How is everyone out there in Triad Land?
Farris's Avatar Farris
03:28 PM Liked: 11
post #1002 of 6607
07-06-2009 | Posts: 214
Hi Paul,

I am taking the plunge and am becoming a member of the Triad owners community.

I have purchased:

Bedroom:
2 x Triad In-Wall Silver Mini Monitors (Bedroom) + a B&W PV1 Sub (for asthetic reasons aka WAF)

Living Room:
3 x Lyngdorf DP-1 Speakers and 2 Corner Woofers for my Fronts
2 x Triad Silver On-Wall Surrounds for my L and R surrounds
2 x Triad Silver In-Wall Surrounds for m Rears

I have just one question:

For the left and right surrounds the speakers have to be on-walls mounted on the ceiling (room issues... concrete ceiling and bay windows on one side). Is positioning the rears inside a bulkhead firing down ok or is positioing them on the wall just above ear height much better?

The height at which the in-walls will be located in the bulkhead is about 72 inches

My seating position is quite low and I want to make sure the system sounds awesome.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ASSSITANCE THROUGHOUT MY DECISION MAKING PROCESS!
croberge's Avatar croberge
05:04 PM Liked: 10
post #1003 of 6607
07-14-2009 | Posts: 3
Is there any update on when the new RackAmp 300 will be ready to ship out? Thanks!
06:49 PM Liked: 38
post #1004 of 6607
07-14-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by croberge View Post

Is there any update on when the new RackAmp 300 will be ready to ship out? Thanks!

They are trickling in. We have hundreds on backorder, and we got eighteen in today. We should get more this week, and the good news is they're moving well through our 100% incoming QC. We've been shipping them for almost two months, but the Canadian supplier hasn't ramped up to capacity yet. Building the first ones is always slow.
ilustremusic's Avatar ilustremusic
09:54 PM Liked: 10
post #1005 of 6607
07-17-2009 | Posts: 2
Hi Everyone,

I saw a pair of triad gold speakers on craigslist & was wondering if $550 is a fair price for these? Has anyone personally owned these & knows how they sound? The guy mentions that the speakers are rare & sought after. Is that true? Do a search on la's craigslist & you'll see the ad. I just need some expert advice on these.

Thanks,
ilustremusic
01:45 PM Liked: 38
post #1006 of 6607
07-18-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilustremusic View Post

Hi Everyone,

I saw a pair of triad gold speakers on craigslist & was wondering if $550 is a fair price for these? Has anyone personally owned these & knows how they sound? The guy mentions that the speakers are rare & sought after. Is that true? Do a search on la's craigslist & you'll see the ad. I just need some expert advice on these.

Thanks,
ilustremusic

Please post the EXACT model of the speaker, and if there's a picture, post it here. As far as "Triad Gold speakers," there are dozens. The could be old Gold LCRs, Gold Monitors, new Gold LCRs, Gold Omnis, Gold Omni SEs, etc. Do they have a wooden horn? If so, those are Classic Gold LCRs. If the drivers are not damaged, $550 is a great price. Also, those 6.5" Seas drivers are no longer available, and we have a small repair stock left. They can be damaged by bonehead abuse. (I blew four of them once. )

The Classic Gold LCR came out 15 years ago, and we discontinued it about two years ago, although we have still been building them for special orders. We keep raising the price, and people keep buying them! They're up to $1,500 each now, and honestly, a $1,000 Silver LCR will outperform it.
CJO's Avatar CJO
02:17 PM Liked: 13
post #1007 of 6607
07-18-2009 | Posts: 2,942
Paul, I looked up the ad adn they are the Gold Inroom Satellites.

CJ
05:12 PM Liked: 38
post #1008 of 6607
07-18-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Paul, I looked up the ad adn they are the Gold Inroom Satellites.

CJ

InRoom Gold Satellites were about half the price of InRoom Gold LCRs. They were low sensitivity (about 85 dB) and would be great for a small 2-channel venue. For $550, I'd pass on them.
ilustremusic's Avatar ilustremusic
12:17 AM Liked: 10
post #1009 of 6607
07-19-2009 | Posts: 2
Thanks for your input. I just saw that the guy lowered his price to $350 for the pair. I guess they didn't get any interest at $550. That's funny because I emailed the craigslist ad & offered $300 for the pair this morning. We'll see if I get an email.

Thanks for your advice,
ilustremusic
gabor1's Avatar gabor1
04:49 PM Liked: 10
post #1010 of 6607
07-27-2009 | Posts: 70
I just got a front set of in Room Gold LCR speakers....
So far so good right now I only have a Denon 3808CI receiver and it still sounds very good with plenty power and punch for my room medium sized room... These speakers can play loud and clean.. i am still experimenting with speaker placement a little i think they sound better when toed in towards the listening seat......
The dealer ordered the matching center too so maybe next week sometimes I should have it that will complete the front stage....
06:33 PM Liked: 38
post #1011 of 6607
07-27-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor1 View Post

I just got a front set of in Room Gold LCR speakers....
So far so good right now I only have a Denon 3808CI receiver and it still sounds very good with plenty power and punch for my room medium sized room... These speakers can play loud and clean.. i am still experimenting with speaker placement a little i think they sound better when toed in towards the listening seat......
The dealer ordered the matching center too so maybe next week sometimes I should have it that will complete the front stage....

I'm not sure if that receiver has preamp-outs, but adding a separate power amp that likes 4 ohm loads will light those speakers up. Make sure you have one or two great subs, and you set the crossover to 80 Hz.

As long as I've done this, I am still excited every time I hear of someone getting great speakers.
07:58 PM Liked: 11
post #1012 of 6607
07-27-2009 | Posts: 1,247
Quote:

As long as I've done this, I am still excited every time I hear of someone getting great speakers.

Me too!

Enjoy the Gold LCR's. The advice from Paul will pay off big if you add a separate amplifier to drive them.
08:41 PM Liked: 38
post #1013 of 6607
07-27-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris View Post

Hi Paul,

I am taking the plunge and am becoming a member of the Triad owners community.

I have purchased:

Bedroom:
2 x Triad In-Wall Silver Mini Monitors (Bedroom) + a B&W PV1 Sub (for asthetic reasons aka WAF)

Living Room:
3 x Lyngdorf DP-1 Speakers and 2 Corner Woofers for my Fronts
2 x Triad Silver On-Wall Surrounds for my L and R surrounds
2 x Triad Silver In-Wall Surrounds for m Rears

I have just one question:

For the left and right surrounds the speakers have to be on-walls mounted on the ceiling (room issues... concrete ceiling and bay windows on one side). Is positioning the rears inside a bulkhead firing down ok or is positioing them on the wall just above ear height much better?

The height at which the in-walls will be located in the bulkhead is about 72 inches

My seating position is quite low and I want to make sure the system sounds awesome.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ASSSITANCE THROUGHOUT MY DECISION MAKING PROCESS!

Holy crap, did I miss this post?? Sorry.

The bulkhead location is probably good. If you have them on the wall and close to your ears, they'll "hot spot" and the surround will be too localized.

For the Silver MiniMonitors, you probably want a 100 Hz crossover frequency, unless you're going to digitally EQ the room. In that case, with the Lyngdorf corner subs, you can move the crossover up to (this is not a mistake) 300 Hz or more.

Again, I aplogize for missing your question. Don't hate me.
gabor1's Avatar gabor1
02:57 PM Liked: 10
post #1014 of 6607
07-28-2009 | Posts: 70
I'm not sure if that receiver has preamp-outs, but adding a separate power amp that likes 4 ohm loads will light those speakers up. Make sure you have one or two great subs, and you set the crossover to 80 Hz.

Yes the Denon has preamp-outs and I have an Epik Dragon sub from 80hz down right now. I was going to buy some B&W speakers but I got a great deal on these front two speakers altough the center cost me more but I am sure I'll notice a huge difference in home theater once I'll get the center hopefully next week sometimes....
Anybody knows what are the crossover points on the in room gold lcr..???
Gabor
03:02 PM Liked: 38
post #1015 of 6607
07-28-2009 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:

Gabor

Use 80 Hz. Hopefully, you have the newer Gold LCRs (without the horn). If you have the big ones with 2-8", 1-4" and a tweeter, you can run them at 60 Hz, but it makes no sense.
gabor1's Avatar gabor1
03:20 PM Liked: 10
post #1016 of 6607
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor1
Gabor

Use 80 Hz. Hopefully, you have the newer Gold LCRs (without the horn). If you have the big ones with 2-8", 1-4" and a tweeter, you can run them at 60 Hz, but it makes no sense.
Yes I am using the 80hz crossover for the speakers, but my question was what are the crossover points in the Triad speakers from tweeter to midrange and from midrange to the pair of bass drivers......
06:07 PM Liked: 38
post #1017 of 6607
The Gold LCRs cross from the two 8" woofers to the 4" midrange at 280 Hz. The midrange crosses to the tweeter at 2.8 kHz.

2nd order at both crossover points, up and down.
gabor1's Avatar gabor1
07:42 PM Liked: 10
post #1018 of 6607
Do you guys have any preference on amplifiers to mach the Gold LCRs...
Maybe B&K or Parasound or even Emotiva???? My room is not that big so I don't need unlimited power but something that would match the smoothness of these speakers and open them up.....
Thanks for any advice....
08:05 PM Liked: 38
post #1019 of 6607
Quote:

Do you guys have any preference on amplifiers to mach the Gold LCRs...
Maybe B&K or Parasound or even Emotiva???? My room is not that big so I don't need unlimited power but something that would match the smoothness of these speakers and open them up.....
Thanks for any advice....

Those will all work well. For the record, in our demo at CEDIA this year we'll be using three big Parasound Halo mono amps to drive three Platinum LCRs. We'll also used six Gold Surrounds and twelve Silver DSP Subs. (Twelve 12" long-throw woofers and 6,000 watts.)
09:24 PM Liked: 11
post #1020 of 6607
07-28-2009 | Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Maybe B&K or Parasound or even Emotiva????

We carry two of the three mentioned and obviously not the Emotiva. But, between B&K and Parasound......My vote is for the Parasounds. Oh, BTW, that is what I just switched to in my Triad Gold LCR room.

The Parasounds are extremely neutral, which is just what you want in an amplifier.
Tags: Triad

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread