post #1141 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

Paul, we are about at the 1/4 point of our new homes construction and Prather is going to be prewiring soon. I've got a strong feeling I'm going to be putting those InRoom Gold LCR's behind a false wall and the center moved from horizontal to vertical behind a perforated screen. I spent a nice chunk for the red rosewood option and the matching pedestals, but at least I got more than a few years of joy looking at the fabulous cabinetry. Now I just need to hurry up and pick some carpet as that's the starting point.

Your speakers turned out great looking. It's a shame to hide them, but speakers behind an AT screen are the hot set-up. I still have the initial picture of your speakers and matching pedestals. Might you be interested in selling the like-new package and doing inwalls? Or Platinum LCRs??

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Your speakers turned out great looking. It's a shame to hide them, but speakers behind an AT screen are the hot set-up. I still have the initial picture of your speakers and matching pedestals. Might you be interested in selling the like-new package and doing inwalls? Or Platinum LCRs??

Paul, if Prather and I decide to go the route I'm talking I might be interested in selling them, but not if I'm going to take a beating and be out of pocket for the In-wall replacements. The Platinums are a bit out of my range and my media room is on the small side. I believe they would be extremely overkill. My room is only going to have enough room for five HT chairs.
post #1143 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mike, if those were my Gold LCRs, I wouldn't be able to sell them. They're gorgeous. Do you have a picture of one on it's matching pedestal with the grain continuing from the pedestal up through the speaker? It probably took one of our veneer guys a week to do all six pieces and get the grain to match.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1144 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM

here's one
LL
post #1145 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM

If doing in ceiling surround speakers that are mounted directly above the listener(couch is against back wall so there is no way to mount them behind), is there any advantage to going with the 45 degree in ceiling speakers vs just a regular non angled speaker pointed straight down? Either way it seems like they will both sound like the sound is coming from straight above.
post #1146 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtguy View Post

If doing in ceiling surround speakers that are mounted directly above the listener(couch is against back wall so there is no way to mount them behind), is there any advantage to going with the 45 degree in ceiling speakers vs just a regular non angled speaker pointed straight down? Either way it seems like they will both sound like the sound is coming from straight above.

That's probably a toss-up. My rear surrounds are in the ceiling with a 45-degree angled baffle, right above the back row, but they're perfect for the front row. Your bigger problem may be because your head is so close to the back wall, bass may be too hot. Is the couch the only seating area? If so, calibrate for the couch.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1147 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:

That's probably a toss-up. My rear surrounds are in the ceiling with a 45-degree angled baffle, right above the back row, but they're perfect for the front row. Your bigger problem may be because your head is so close to the back wall, bass may be too hot. Is the couch the only seating area? If so, calibrate for the couch.

Yes the couch is the only seating. If I put 45 degree angled speakers facing forward it would push the sound to the center of the room away from the couch(listening position). I was thinking of maybe positioning them facing in towards each other so they would be pushing sound to the center of the couch instead of out towards the middle of the room. However that leads me back to my original question of is this going to sound any better then just having some speakers facing straight down. I hate having to use my living room and not having a dedicated theater room.
post #1148 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

You may want to consider inwall speakers, maybe three feet apart, slightly above your head on the wall behind the couch. The calibration would take them down low in level due to the proximity to your ears, but at least the image would be behind you. I'm about to move my rear speakers to the back wall...among a myriad of other changes I'm considering.

The other idea is one you mentioned: If the speakers are placed to the outside of the couch in the ceiling, they could be aimed down and in, at each other. That would give you good rear surround.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1149 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

You may want to consider inwall speakers, maybe three feet apart, slightly above your head on the wall behind the couch. The calibration would take them down low in level due to the proximity to your ears, but at least the image would be behind you. I'm about to move my rear speakers to the back wall...among a myriad of other changes I'm considering.

The other idea is one you mentioned: If the speakers are placed to the outside of the couch in the ceiling, they could be aimed down and in, at each other. That would give you good rear surround.

Thanks for the quick answers Paul. Now I just have to talk the wife into letting me put them in the wall. Shes stuck on ceiling speakers because "speakers are ugly"
post #1150 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the quick answers Paul. Now I just have to talk the wife into letting me put them in the wall. Shes stuck on ceiling speakers because "speakers are ugly"

When you order them from your authorized Triad dealer, supply a paint sample or paint number, and we'll paint the frames and grills to match perfectly, at no extra charge.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1151 of 6285 Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM
IHM

Quote:

I don't think speakers are ugly, and my second wife agrees with me.

Hey Mike, I gotta to come to the forum to find out what we're doing??
post #1152 of 6285 Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM

I am the nut-job who cut a hole in the roof of his motor home to install 3 triad bronze inceiling speakers...they sound great. Now I'm in the process of reconfiguting an old media cabinet for a plasma TV and audio.

The cabinet is in the corner of a large (20'x30' with 15' ceiling) room at the end of one of the long walls. The remining walls are all glass or large doors. It's in the corner because the fireplace is in the middle of that wall.

The speaker enclosure will be 6 feet off the ground and will be about 6 feet wide by 15 inches high. The speakers must fit within the enclosure. My primary candidates are 3 Inroom Silver LCRs or Silver Monitors. It looks like either will fit if laid on their sides. My questions:

Do you have other Triad suggestions?
Which of the speakers above will supply the most sound?
Will those speakers deliver the goods if laid on their sides?
Suggested surrounds?
Do you have any experience with placing the speakers at an angle inside the openings to direct the sound more towards the middle of the room. (The TV will be mounted on a swivel to achieve the same thing.)

I even considered placing ceiling speakers on their sides, but that angle would be too severe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I have a great Triad dealer but they're just not that into the Triad InRoom products. They're pointing me towards B&W (CT700 series).
post #1153 of 6285 Old 10-04-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivista View Post

I am the nut-job who cut a hole in the roof of his motor home to install 3 triad bronze inceiling speakers...they sound great. Now I'm in the process of reconfiguting an old media cabinet for a plasma TV and audio.

The cabinet is in the corner of a large (20'x30' with 15' ceiling) room at the end of one of the long walls. The remining walls are all glass or large doors. It's in the corner because the fireplace is in the middle of that wall.

The speaker enclosure will be 6 feet off the ground and will be about 6 feet wide by 15 inches high. The speakers must fit within the enclosure. My primary candidates are 3 Inroom Silver LCRs or Silver Monitors. It looks like either will fit if laid on their sides. My questions:

Do you have other Triad suggestions?
Suggested surrounds?
Do you have any experience with placing the speakers at an angle inside the openings to direct the sound more towards the middle of the room. (The TV will be mounted on a swivel to achieve the same thing.)

I even considered placing ceiling speakers on their sides, but that angle would be too severe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I have a great Triad dealer but they're just not that into the Triad InRoom products. They're pointing me towards B&W (CT700 series).

Just a wild thought, but what about three InRoom Gold Centers, which are designed for use on their sides? The have vertically-aligned midrange and tweeters.

Quote:

Actually, the Gold LCR will play louder than either the Silver LCR or the Silver Monitor. At $2,000 each, the Gold Center is fifty bucks less than the Silver Monitor. They are 92 dB sensitive and handle tons of power, which means they will play loudly.

Quote:

They're designed for horizontal placement.
Quote:

Suggested surrounds?

That room is so live, I'd suggest direct-radiating surrounds; not dipoles. InWall, OnWall, or InRoom? There are many choices.

Quote:

I'm trying to visualize what you're describing, but I'd leave the three fronts flush with the front of the cabinet. The vertically-aligned mid/tweeter configuration gives you broader horizontal dispersion than centers with side-by-side-by-side speakers on the baffle.

Quote:

Allow me to say too much about that...

B&W dealers are very loyal. B&W is a great brand. B&W "wants" their dealers to sell B&W all the time, every time. We don't pressure our dealers at all, and we expect them to suggest Triad when it's an appropriate and correct option, and we expect them to sell more B&W, if they are B&W dealers. Triad has been described in print as "the B&W of custom," and I think they hate hearing it, although it's a compliment to B&W. They have even come after us with a new line of custom offerings "inspired" by many of our speakers, including our square, angled-baffle ceiling speakers. We are honored and flattered that they have "emulated" us.

All that said, look at the B&Ws they suggested, and the Triads I suggested, and pick which will work best in your specific application.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1154 of 6285 Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 AM

Thanks, Paul. I had not thought about using 3 centers and I was leaning towards the Silver Monitors because some of your earlier posts had me drooling over those drivers. But it sounds like you are saying that for my application the ability of the Gold Centers to produce more sound would be more important. Or, maybe there are some problems with placing the monitor speakers on their sides. By the way, I'm not sure I understand why the dispersion issues would be any different for the Silver Monitors on their sides than for the Gold Centers.

My question about placing the speakers at an angle is based on the fact that this cabinet will be absolutely in the corner of the room right next to an adjacent wall full of 12 foot windows. The room seating facing the TV cabinet starts several feet away from the window wall, so virtually none of the listening area is directly opposite the cabinet. The TV will be angled out away from the corner and everyone will be looking slightly to their left to see it (from 12-15 feet away). When I had some small floor-standing speakers in an earlier arrangement I angled them out from the corner towards the seating area.

Thanks again for your help. This type of input is invaluable.

P.S. My dealer knows that I have an independent streak and he also knows how much I like my inceilng Triads in the motor home
post #1155 of 6285 Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Silver Monitors work *okay* on their sides, but they aren't really made for it. A speaker's drivers should (generally) be vertically-aligned, not horizontally-aligned. The Gold Center's vertically-aligned midfrange driver and tweeter mitigate the problem a great deal. Again, they're designed for your application. And the proprietary Seas drivers in the Gold Center are really special. The tweeter is the same model that's in the Silver Monitor.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irgctr.html

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1156 of 6285 Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks, Paul. The Gold Centers sound perfect but I just noticed on your web site that they are 29" wide, so I can't fit 3 of them into my 72" wide cabinet.
post #1157 of 6285 Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivista View Post

Thanks, Paul. The Gold Centers sound perfect but I just noticed on your web site that they are 29" wide, so I can't fit 3 of them into my 72" wide cabinet.

Oh, SNAP!

In that case, the InRoom Silver Monitor may be your best choice. They have the same sensitivity as the Gold Center, and they'll actually fit.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1158 of 6285 Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:

And the proprietary Seas drivers in the Gold Center are really special. The tweeter is the same model that's in the Silver Monitor.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irgctr.html

I thought the tweeters/mids in the silver monitors are the same as the Platinums not the Gold Inroom's.

I just upgraded my client to the Interga DHC9.9 and better interconnects with the Inroom Golds and can say that going from the Rotel 1068 processor that was in place was night and day, they just came to life with theater dynamics that should make him happy for quite sometime.

Trivista, I wouldn't let the drivers get in the way of a decision the Inroom Golds can and will put out some very dynamic sound that can please just about anyone who hears them go when driven properly. Is there anything that can be adjusted to the cabnet to get them to work?
post #1159 of 6285 Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram4x4 View Post

I thought the tweeters/mids in the silver monitors are the same as the Platinums not the Gold Inroom's.

I just upgraded my client to the Interga DHC9.9 and better interconnects with the Inroom Golds and can say that going from the Rotel 1068 processor that was in place was night and day, they just came to life with theater dynamics that should make him happy for quite sometime.

An upgraded happy client.

The 5.5" Scan-Speak mids in the Silver Monitor are the same ones used in the Platinum LCR, but the tweeter in the Gold LCR, Silver Monitor, and Silver MiniMonitor are the same Seas tweeter; different from the Platinum LCR tweeter and the Gold Monitor tweeter. If that made any sense...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1160 of 6285 Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

As over the top as the components were, we used an under-$2,000 Integra processor which will be my next AV toy. There's a brand we both know that sells for around $10,000 that isn't as good or as versatile.

Was it the DHC 9.9?
post #1161 of 6285 Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Was it the DHC 9.9?

Yes it was.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1162 of 6285 Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Paul,

Wanted to publicly thank you for all the help defining my speaker solution.
Just ordered 3 Silver/6 monitors, 4 Silver Sourrounds, and 2 Silver/15 DSP subs - all in-wall.

They will be powered by 2 Emotiva amps (XPA-2 and XPA-5) and an existing Onkyo 886 pre/pro. They'll get installed in my just completed 12x17.5x8 dedicated home theater room with my newly arrived JVC RS25 and AVSR1 anamorphic lens and SMX proline 2.4 AT screen fed by my oppo bdp83.

I feel like a kid at Christmas right about now!

Thanks again for your help.
Mike
post #1163 of 6285 Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Sounds like a fantastic system. Should look and sound great. That projector is absolutely wonderful. The speakers should be alright as well
post #1164 of 6285 Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWojcik View Post

Paul,

Wanted to publicly thank you for all the help defining my speaker solution.
Just ordered 3 Silver/6 monitors, 4 Silver Sourrounds, and 2 Silver/15 DSP subs - all in-wall.

They will be powered by 2 Emotiva amps (XPA-2 and XPA-5) and an existing Onkyo 886 pre/pro. They'll get installed in my just completed 12x17.5x8 dedicated home theater room with my newly arrived JVC RS25 and AVSR1 anamorphic lens and SMX proline 2.4 AT screen fed by my oppo bdp83.

I feel like a kid at Christmas right about now!

Thanks again for your help.
Mike

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. That's a spectacular system, and in that size room, you'll never run out of headroom. Let us know how the installation progresses.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1165 of 6285 Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Where are the pictures of those curved baffles for the Platinums that were done at the PMI/Triad demo at CEDIA? I've been looking for them as that looks to be the solution for my InRoom LCR Golds if I'm going to put them behind a false wall and perforated screen in my smallish media room. I know I saw them and cant remember were I saw the pictures.
post #1166 of 6285 Old 10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Post 1138 in this thread shows the BaffleWall.

That's weird. Remember the George Lucas movie "THX 1138?"

My photo hosting site is non-responsive today, or I'd post a good rendering of the BaffleWall.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1167 of 6285 Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Post 1138 in this thread shows the BaffleWall.

That's weird. Remember the George Lucas movie "THX 1138?"

My photo hosting site is non-responsive today, or I'd post a good rendering of the BaffleWall.

There are no images in 1138. I'm logged in and there's no link or images there.
post #1168 of 6285 Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

There are no images in 1138. I'm logged in and there's no link or images there.

www.villagephotos.com is still down, and I have no ability to post pictures. I'll give them a few more days, and then it's off to www.photobucket.com.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

post #1169 of 6285 Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM

Any opinion on Emotiva amps driving In Room Gold speakers...
I try to keep the amplifier upgrade reasonable cost to upgrade my subs too...
Right now I have a Denon 3808CI driving my Front in room gold LCR with an 80hz crossover. I was thinking geting the Emotiva X5....
post #1170 of 6285 Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabor1 View Post

Any opinion on Emotiva amps driving In Room Gold speakers...
I try to keep the amplifier upgrade reasonable cost to upgrade my subs too...
Right now I have a Denon 3808CI driving my Front in room gold LCR with an 80hz crossover. I was thinking geting the Emotiva X5....

That's a great choice, especially for the money, and it will light up the Gold LCRs, especially if you have the newer 3-way Gold LCRs. These speakers are definitely 4 ohm loads, and the Emotiva delivers 300 watts into 4 ohms.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

Reply Speakers

Tags
Triad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page